Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Hamburg
- Inactive lipoprotein lipase (LPL) alone increases selective cholesterol ester uptake in vivo, whereas in the presence of active LPL it also increases triglyceride hydrolysis and whole particle lipoprotein uptakeMartin Merkel
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:7405-11. 2002..In the absence of active LPL in the same tissue, inactive LPL only mediates selective cholesterol ester uptake...
- Give me A5 for lipoprotein hydrolysis!Martin Merkel
Department of Internal Medicine and IBM II Molecular Cell Biology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Invest 115:2694-6. 2005....
- [Lipoprotein lipase-mediated myopathy: implications for lipid metabolism and atherogenesis]Martin Merkel
Medizinische Klinik I, Universitatsklinikum, Hamburg Eppendorf
Med Klin (Munich) 98:679-84. 2003..Some of these animals showed an LPL-mediated myopathy or cardiomyopathy. Comparing the histological changes with metabolic data provides new insights in the function of LPL in metabolism and for atherogenesis...
- Apolipoprotein AV accelerates plasma hydrolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins by interaction with proteoglycan-bound lipoprotein lipaseMartin Merkel
Department of Internal Medicine IUniversity Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:21553-60. 2005..A direct interaction between LPL and apoAV was found by ligand blotting. It is proposed, that apoAV reduces triglyceride levels by guiding VLDL and chylomicrons to proteoglycan-bound LPL for lipolysis...
- Insulin stimulates hepatic low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 (LRP1) to increase postprandial lipoprotein clearanceAlexander Laatsch
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II Molecular Cell Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 204:105-11. 2009..The dietary lipids are carried in chylomicron remnants (CR) which are taken up into the liver mainly via LDLR-related protein 1 (LRP1). In this study, the effect of insulin on LRP1-mediated hepatic CR uptake was investigated...
- Brown adipose tissue activity controls triglyceride clearanceAlexander Bartelt
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II Molecular Cell Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Nat Med 17:200-5. 2011..Activation of BAT might be a therapeutic approach to reduce elevated triglyceride concentrations and combat obesity in humans...
- Endothelial-derived lipoprotein lipase is bound to postprandial triglyceride-rich lipoproteins and mediates their hepatic clearance in vivoJoerg Heeren
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 80:576-84. 2002..In conclusion, these data demonstrate for the first time that LPL is a structural component of postprandial TRL which facilitates hepatic TRL clearance from the circulation independent of its catalytic function...
- Lipoprotein lipase-facilitated uptake of LDL is mediated by the LDL receptorBritta Loeffler
Third Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Lipid Res 48:288-98. 2007..Chylomicron uptake was not affected by the LDLR genotype. We conclude that LPL-mediated cellular uptake of LDL, but not of chylomicrons, is dependent on the presence of both LDLR and proteoglycans...
- Knockdown of hepatic ABCA1 by RNA interference decreases plasma HDL cholesterol levels and influences postprandial lipemia in miceSergei Ragozin
Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, Molecular Cell Biology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1433-8. 2005..To investigate the impact of hepatic ABCA1 on systemic lipoprotein metabolism in vivo by an adenovirus-mediated RNA interference approach...
- Uptake of postprandial lipoproteins into bone in vivo: impact on osteoblast functionAndreas Niemeier
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Bone 43:230-7. 2008..Osteoblasts participate in CR clearance from the circulation, which has a direct impact on the secretory function of osteoblasts...
- A new, powerful player in lipoprotein metabolism: brown adipose tissueAlexander Bartelt
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrase 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 90:887-93. 2012..Here, we will review recent insights on how BAT controls triglyceride clearance and the possible implications for the treatment of chronic diseases caused by lipid mishandling...
- Real-time magnetic resonance imaging and quantification of lipoprotein metabolism in vivo using nanocrystalsOliver T Bruns
IBM II Molecular Cell Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Nat Nanotechnol 4:193-201. 2009..Using this strategy it is possible to study the clearance of lipoproteins in metabolic disorders and to improve the contrast in clinical imaging...
- Lipoprotein lipase: genetics, lipid uptake, and regulationMartin Merkel
Department of Medicine, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Lipid Res 43:1997-2006. 2002..2) LPL actions in the nervous system, liver, and heart: the discussion focuses on LPL and tissue lipid uptake. 3) LPL gene regulation: the LPL promoter and its regulatory elements are described...
- Scavenger receptor class B type I mediates the selective uptake of high-density lipoprotein-associated cholesteryl ester by the liver in miceMay Brundert
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:143-8. 2005..Class B type I scavenger receptor (SR-BI) mediates this uptake in vitro. The role of SR-BI in HDL metabolism was explored in mice...
- Homozygosity for a partial deletion of apoprotein A-V signal peptide results in intracellular missorting of the protein and chylomicronemia in a breast-fed infantKirstin Albers
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 233:97-103. 2014..The absence of apoA-V in plasma leads under conditions of fat-rich diets to severe chylomicronemia, suggestive for a modulatory role of apoA-V for lipoprotein lipase mediated intravascular triglyceride lipolysis. ..
- [L-carnitine and lipid lowering]Martin Merkel
Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum, Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1792. 2003
- [Obesity: ectopic fat distribution and the heart]Dirk Muller-Wieland
Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Gastroenterologie, Endokrinologie, Diabetes und Stoffwechsel, Institut für diabetologische Versorgungsforschung, Asklepios Klinik St Georg, Hamburg, Germany
Herz 35:198-205. 2010..These new relations between obesity, fat distribution and cardiac function might help to identify and treat individuals at risk earlier and more appropriately...
- Mice expressing only covalent dimeric heparin binding-deficient lipoprotein lipase: muscles inefficiently secrete dimeric enzymeE Peer Lutz
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 279:238-44. 2004..Thus, although muscle can synthesize tethered, dimeric LpL, efficient production of this enzyme leading to secretion, and physiological function appears to favor secretion of a noncovalent dimer composed of monomeric subunits...
- Lipoprotein lipase (LpL) on the surface of cardiomyocytes increases lipid uptake and produces a cardiomyopathyHiroaki Yagyu
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 111:419-26. 2003..Hearts of transgenic mice were dilated, and left ventricular systolic function was impaired. Thus, lipoprotein lipase expressed on the surface of cardiomyocytes can increase lipid uptake and produce cardiomyopathy...
- Hepatic ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 is a key molecule in high-density lipoprotein cholesteryl ester metabolism in miceRoshni R Singaraja
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:1821-7. 2006..However, the role of ABCA1 in the liver for HDL apolipoprotein and cholesteryl ester (CE) catabolism in vivo is unknown...
- Pregnancies in glycogen storage disease type IaDaniëlle H J Martens
Department of Pediatrics, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:646.e1-7. 2008..Because of improved life expectancy, pregnancy is becoming an important issue. We describe 15 pregnancies by focusing on dietary treatment, biochemical parameters, and GSD-Ia complications...
- Dietary methionine effects on plasma homocysteine and HDL metabolism in miceWanda Velez-Carrasco
Department of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Nutr Biochem 19:362-70. 2008..Mice on methionine diets had >20% decreased body weights and decreased HDL-C levels. An HDL turnover study demonstrated that the HDL-C production rate was significantly reduced in mice fed the methionine diet...