Affiliation: University of Heidelberg
- Seasonal patterns of cardiovascular disease mortality of adults in Burkina Faso, West AfricaGisela Kynast-Wolf
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 15:1082-9. 2010..To evaluate seasonal patterns of cardiovascular death in adults, which are possibly influenced by hot and dry climate, in a rural setting of Burkina Faso...
- ITN protection, MSP1 antibody levels and malaria episodes in young children of rural Burkina FasoGisela Kynast-Wolf
Institute of Public Health, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Trop 123:117-22. 2012..The study provides no evidence for antibodies against a subunit of MSP1 being protective against new malaria episodes in infants...
- Season of death and birth predict patterns of mortality in Burkina FasoGisela Kynast-Wolf
University of Heidelberg, Germany, Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Epidemiol 35:427-35. 2006..Mortality in developing countries has multiple causes. Some of these causes are linked to climatic conditions that differ over the year. Data on season-specific mortality are sparse...
- Pattern of cause-specific childhood mortality in a malaria endemic area of Burkina FasoGaël P Hammer
Department of Epidemiology, Institute for Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Malar J 5:47. 2006..Demographic surveillance systems (DSS) implementing the verbal autopsy (VA) method are the only possibility to observe cause-specific mortality of a population on a longitudinal basis in many countries...
- Patterns of malaria: cause-specific and all-cause mortality in a malaria-endemic area of west AfricaHeiko Becher
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:106-13. 2008..It is well described parametrically with a sinusoidal function. In adults, the highest all-cause mortality rates were observed in the dry season. Here, HIV/AIDS has become a leading cause of mortality...
- Multiple pregnancy in rural Burkina Faso: frequency, survival, and use of health servicesAlbrecht Jahn
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85:26-32. 2006..To assess the birth of twins in rural Burkina Faso with respect to prevalence, mortality, and provision of obstetric care...
- Risk factors of infant and child mortality in rural Burkina FasoHeiko Becher
University of Heidelberg, Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 82:265-73. 2004..The aim of the study was to quantify the effect of risk factors for childhood mortality in a typical rural setting in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Patterns of adult and old-age mortality in rural Burkina FasoOsman A Sankoh
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg Medical School, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Public Health Med 25:372-6. 2003..A seasonal trend in mortality for older people with a peak in February was identified. The study shows that malaria is an important cause of death in adulthood...
- Safety of insecticide-treated mosquito nets for infants and their mothers: randomized controlled community trial in Burkina FasoGuangyu Lu
Institute of Public Health, Medical School, Ruprecht Karls University, INF 324, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Malar J 14:527. 2015..There are only few studies which have specifically investigated potential adverse effects of frequent exposure to ITNs in the vulnerable group of young infants and their mothers...
- Decreasing disparities in infant survival using surveillance data from Burkina FasoAnja Schoeps
Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany Centre de Recherche on Santé de Nouna CRSN, Nouna, Burkina Faso University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf UKE, Hamburg, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 92:1038-44. 2015..The strongest reduction in mortality occurred in the groups with the previously highest infant mortality rates in 1993-1999...
- Step-wedge cluster-randomised community-based trials: an application to the study of the impact of community health insuranceManuela De Allegri
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Health Res Policy Syst 6:10. 2008..Our exclusive focus on the description and discussion of the methods is justified by the fact that the study relies on a methodology previously applied in the field of disease control, but never in the field of health financing...
- Childhood mortality and its association with household wealth in rural and semi-urban Burkina FasoAnja Schoeps
Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 108:639-47. 2014..This study aimed to investigate the relationship between household wealth and under-5 year mortality in rural and semi-urban Burkina Faso...
- Seroprevalence of six different viruses among pregnant women and blood donors in rural and urban Burkina Faso: A comparative analysisEllen Collenberg
Abteilung Virologie, Universitaetsklinikum Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Med Virol 78:683-92. 2006..3%) than in urban (36.5%) Burkina Faso...
- Prevalence of abnormal birth weight and related factors in Northern region, GhanaAbdulai Abubakari
Institute of Public Health, University Hospital, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 15:335. 2015..Therefore, this study was designed to determine the prevalence of abnormal birth weight and related factors in Northern region, Ghana...
- Public and private maternal health service capacity and patient flows in Southern Tanzania: using a geographic information system to link hospital and national census dataPatrik Tabatabai
Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Glob Health Action 7:22883. 2014..This hinders cooperation and reflects the need to improve the evidence base of private sector contribution...
- Maternal Determinants of Birth Weight in Northern GhanaAbdulai Abubakari
Community Nutrition Department, School of Allied Health Sciences, University for Development Studies, Tamale, Ghana Institute of Public Health, Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 10:e0135641. 2015..As a result this study was designed to investigate the association between birth weight and maternal factors such as gestational weight gain, pre-pregnancy BMI and socio-economic status in Northern Ghana...
- The challenges of developing an instrument to assess health provider motivation at primary care level in rural Burkina Faso, Ghana and TanzaniaHelen Prytherch
Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Glob Health Action 5:1-18. 2012..However, none have been validated for use in sub-Saharan Africa. The complexity of such tools has also led to concerns about their application at primary care level...
- Direct manipulation of malaria parasites with optical tweezers reveals distinct functions of Plasmodium surface proteinsStephan Hegge
Parasitology, Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Heidelberg Medical School, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
ACS Nano 6:4648-62. 2012..Investigating how these events are coordinated will be essential for our understanding of sporozoite gliding motility, which is crucial for malaria infection. Laser tweezers will be a valuable part of the toolset...