Affiliation: University of Munich
- Combination therapy in ischemic stroke: synergistic neuroprotective effects of memantine and clenbuterolCarsten Culmsee
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Philipps Universitat, Marburg, Germany
Stroke 35:1197-202. 2004..Therefore, we chose memantine and clenbuterol, both approved safe and efficient in their respective therapeutical categories, and examined combinations of these neuroprotectants for possible therapeutic interactions in ischemic stroke...
- p53 in neuronal apoptosisCarsten Culmsee
Department Pharmazie, Pharmazeutische Biologie Biotechnologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 331:761-77. 2005..Preclinical data suggest that agents that inhibit p53 may be effective therapeutics for several neurodegenerative conditions...
- Enantio-selective effects of clenbuterol in cultured neurons and astrocytes, and in a mouse model of cerebral ischemiaCarsten Culmsee
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 575:57-65. 2007..These results clearly demonstrate that S(+)-clenbuterol is the eutomer that mediates neuroprotective effects of the beta(2)-adrenoceptor agonist but also according changes of physiological parameters...
- Reciprocal inhibition of p53 and nuclear factor-kappaB transcriptional activities determines cell survival or death in neuronsCarsten Culmsee
Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie and Klinik für Anästhesie und Intensivtherapie, Philipps Universitat, D 35037 Marburg, Germany
J Neurosci 23:8586-95. 2003..Inhibitors of p53 provide pronounced neuroprotective effects because they block p53-mediated induction of cell death and concomitantly enhance NF-kappaB-induced survival signaling...
- Stimulation of beta-adrenoceptors activates astrocytes and provides neuroprotectionVera Junker
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Fachbereich Pharmazie der Philipps Universität Marburg, Ketzerbach 63, 35032, Marburg, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 446:25-36. 2002..In conclusion, activation of astrocytes and neuroprotection can be achieved by stimulation of either beta(1)- or beta(2)-adrenoceptors in vitro, whereas in vivo neuroprotection is preferentially mediated through beta(2)-adrenoceptors...
- Bid mediates fission, membrane permeabilization and peri-nuclear accumulation of mitochondria as a prerequisite for oxidative neuronal cell deathJulia Grohm
Institut für Pharmakologie und Klinische Pharmazie, Fachbereich Pharmazie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Brain Behav Immun 24:831-8. 2010..Inhibiting regulators of pathological mitochondrial fragmentation is proposed as an efficient strategy of neuroprotection...
- Nitric oxide donors induce neurotrophin-like survival signaling and protect neurons against apoptosisCarsten Culmsee
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Pharmacy, Phillips University, Marburg, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 68:1006-17. 2005..In primary neurons, such NO-activated survival signaling involves NGF-like effects, including enhanced phosphorylation of TrkA and activation of PI3-K/Akt and MAPK pathways...
- Mitochondrial small conductance SK2 channels prevent glutamate-induced oxytosis and mitochondrial dysfunctionAmalia M Dolga
Institut für Pharmakologie und Klinische Pharmazie, Fachbereich Pharmazie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 288:10792-804. 2013..Activation of mitochondrial SK2 channels may therefore represent promising targets for neuroprotective strategies in conditions of mitochondrial dysfunction...
- Ischaemic brain damage after stroke: new insights into efficient therapeutic strategies. International Symposium on Neurodegeneration and NeuroprotectionCarsten Culmsee
Pharmazeutische Biologie Biotechnologie, Department Pharmazie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Butenandtstrasse 5 13D, D 81377 Munchen, Germany
EMBO Rep 8:129-33. 2007
- Central inhibition of IKKβ/NF-κB signaling attenuates high-fat diet-induced obesity and glucose intoleranceJonas Benzler
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Diabetes 64:2015-27. 2015..These results reinforce a specific role of central proinflammatory IKKβ/NF-κB signaling in the development and potential treatment of DIO-induced comorbidities. ..
- Molecular insights into mechanisms of the cell death program: role in the progression of neurodegenerative disordersCarsten Culmsee
Department Pharmazie, Pharmaceutical Biology Biotechnology, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Curr Alzheimer Res 3:269-83. 2006....
- Effects of Raf-1 siRNA on human cerebral microvascular endothelial cells: a potential therapeutic strategy for inhibition of tumor angiogenesisCarsten Culmsee
Pharmaceutical Biology Biotechnology, Department of Pharmacy, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Brain Res 1125:147-54. 2006....
- Nuclear translocation of apoptosis-inducing factor after focal cerebral ischemiaNikolaus Plesnila
Laboratory of Experimental Neurosurgery, Institute for Surgical Research, University of Munich, Germany
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 24:458-66. 2004....
- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 increases bad phosphorylation and protects neurons against damageYuan Zhu
Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie and Pharmazeutische Chemie, Philipps Universitat, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
J Neurosci 22:3898-909. 2002..Together, we demonstrate that TGF-beta1 suppresses Bad expression under lesion conditions, increases Bad phosphorylation, and activates the MAPK/Erk pathway, which may contribute to its neuroprotective activity...
- Overexpression of suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 in the arcuate nucleus of juvenile Phodopus sungorus alters seasonal body weight changesGoutham K Ganjam
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, Philipps University Marburg, Karl von Frisch Str 8, 35043, Marburg, Germany
J Comp Physiol B 183:1101-11. 2013..In conclusion, our data suggest that ARC-directed SOCS3 overexpression partially overcomes the profound seasonal body weight cycle exhibited by the hamster which is associated with altered pro-opiomelanocortin and DIO3 gene expression. ..
- The metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM8 contributes to temozolomide chemoresistance and enhanced invasiveness of human glioblastoma cellsFangyong Dong
Department of Neurosurgery, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany F D, M E, J W B, U S, C Co, S S, B C, C N Department of Neurosurgery, Tongji Hospital, Wuhan, China F D Philipps University Marburg, Institute for Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy, Marburg, Germany A M D, C Cu Institute of Molecular Medicine and Cell Research, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany O S, M L B BIOSS Centre for Biological Signaling Studies, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany O S Department of Neurology, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany H S Biomaterials, Biomimetics and Biophotonics Research Group, King s College London Dental Institute, London, United Kingdom G K
Neuro Oncol 17:1474-85. 2015..Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) and a disintegrin and metalloprotease (ADAM), increased in GBM, could contribute to chemoresistance and TMZ-induced recurrence of glioblastoma...
- Pifithrin-α provides neuroprotective effects at the level of mitochondria independently of p53 inhibitionSandra Neitemeier
Institut für Pharmakologie und Klinische Pharmazie, Fachbereich Pharmazie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Karl von Frisch Straße 1, 35032, Marburg, Germany
Apoptosis 19:1665-77. 2014..These results suggest a neuroprotective effect of pifithrin-α which occurred at the level of mitochondria and independently of p53 inhibition. ..
- Purification of polyethylenimine polyplexes highlights the role of free polycations in gene transferSabine Boeckle
Pharmaceutical Biology Biotechnology, Department of Pharmacy, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Butenandtstr 5 13, D 81377 Munich, Germany
J Gene Med 6:1102-11. 2004..Nonviral vectors based on polyethylenimine (PEI) usually contain an excess of PEI that is not complexed to DNA. Since unbound PEI contributes to cellular and systemic toxicity, purification of polyplexes from unbound PEI is desirable...
- p75 neurotrophin receptor is required for constitutive and NGF-induced survival signalling in PC12 cells and rat hippocampal neuronesNguyen Truc Bui
Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research, Research Group Apoptosis and Cell Death, Faculty of Medicine, Westphalian Wilhelms University, Munster, Germany
J Neurochem 81:594-605. 2002..Our data suggest that the p75 neurotrophin receptor mediates constitutive and NGF-induced survival signalling in PC12 cells and hippocampal neurones, and that these effects are mediated via the PI3-kinase pathway...
- A dual role for the SDF-1/CXCR4 chemokine receptor system in adult brain: isoform-selective regulation of SDF-1 expression modulates CXCR4-dependent neuronal plasticity and cerebral leukocyte recruitment after focal ischemiaRalf K Stumm
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Neurosci 22:5865-78. 2002..Thus, the isoform-specific regulation of SDF-1 expression modulates neurotransmission and cerebral infiltration via distinct CXCR4-dependent pathways...
- Presenilin-1 mutations sensitize neurons to DNA damage-induced death by a mechanism involving perturbed calcium homeostasis and activation of calpains and caspase-12Sic L Chan
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Neurobiol Dis 11:2-19. 2002..Agents that release Ca(2+) from the ER increased the vulnerability of cells expressing mutant PS1 to DNA damage. By promoting ER-mediated apoptotic proteolytic cascades, PS1 mutations may sensitize neurons to DNA damage...
- Glutathione peroxidase 4 senses and translates oxidative stress into 12/15-lipoxygenase dependent- and AIF-mediated cell deathAlexander Seiler
Institute of Clinical Molecular Biology and Tumor Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health, Marchioninistrasse 25, 81377 Munich, Germany
Cell Metab 8:237-48. 2008..Since oxidative stress is common in the etiology of many human disorders, the identified pathway reveals promising targets for future therapies...
- Egr-1 regulates expression of the glial scar component phosphacan in astrocytes after experimental strokeHeike Beck
Institute for Clinical Molecular Biology and Tumor Genetics, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Center Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Pathol 173:77-92. 2008..Our findings suggest that Egr-1 is an important component of the transcriptional network regulating genes involved in gliosis after ischemic injury...
- The tyrosine phosphatase inhibitor orthovanadate mimics NGF-induced neuroprotective signaling in rat hippocampal neuronsNorbert Gerling
Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology, Philipps University Marburg, Fachbereich Pharmazie, Ketzerbach 63, Marburg D 350372, Germany
Neurochem Int 44:505-20. 2004..Thus, PTP inhibition appears to be an appropriate strategy to trigger neuroprotective signaling pathways downstream of neurotrophin receptors...
- Parkin mediates neuroprotection through activation of IkappaB kinase/nuclear factor-kappaB signalingIris H Henn
Department of Biochemistry, Adolf Butenandt Institute, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 27:1868-78. 2007..Thus, our results support a direct link between the neuroprotective activity of parkin and ubiquitin signaling in the IKK/NF-kappaB pathway...
- Apoptosis-inducing factor triggered by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase and Bid mediates neuronal cell death after oxygen-glucose deprivation and focal cerebral ischemiaCarsten Culmsee
Department of Pharmacy, Walter Brendel Center for Experimental Medicine, University of Munich, D 81377 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 25:10262-72. 2005..Therefore, caspase-independent cell death signaling may provide a promising novel target for therapeutic interventions in cerebrovascular diseases...
- Synthesis and characterization of chemically condensed oligoethylenimine containing beta-aminopropionamide linkages for siRNA deliveryPeter J Tarcha
Departments of Advanced Drug Delivery, Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago, IL, USA
Biomaterials 28:3731-40. 2007..Sensible in vitro knockdown of the luciferase gene in stably transfected HUH7 cells, up to 80% in comparison to non-specific siRNA, demonstrated its suitability for siRNA delivery...
- Bone marrow stromal cells mediate protection through stimulation of PI3-K/Akt and MAPK signaling in neuronsNicola B Isele
Department of Neurology, University Clinic Grosshadern, 81377 Munich, Germany
Neurochem Int 50:243-50. 2007..Moreover, the interaction between stressed neurons and BMSC further amplifies the observed neuroprotective effect...
- Structure-activity relationships by interligand NOE-based design and synthesis of antiapoptotic compounds targeting BidBarbara Becattini
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12602-6. 2006..g., neurodegenerative diseases, cerebral ischemia, or brain trauma...