Affiliation: University of Essen
- [Analysis of ocular surface alterations following proton beam radiation in eyes with conjunctival malignant melanoma]H Westekemper
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen
Ophthalmologe 103:588-95. 2006..In extended tumours, ocular surface problems can result after therapy. In this study we examined ocular surface integrity of ten patients who underwent proton beam radiation between 1996 and 2002...
- Assessment of the effect of iris colour and having children on 5-year risk of death after diagnosis of uveal melanoma: a follow-up studyAndrea Schmidt-Pokrzywniak
Institute of Clinical Epidemiology, Medical Faculty, University of Halle Wittenberg, Magdeburger Str 8, 06097 Halle, Germany
BMC Ophthalmol 14:42. 2014..Furthermore, we assess of the effect of iris colour and having children on 5-year risk of death after diagnosis of uveal melanoma. Therefore, we assess the performance of an individual prediction model of survival from uveal melanoma...
- A case-control study: occupational cooking and the risk of uveal melanomaAndrea Schmidt-Pokrzywniak
Institute of Clinical Epidemiology, Medical Faculty, University of Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
BMC Ophthalmol 10:26. 2010..They found a positive association between cooks and the risk of uveal melanoma. In our study we examine whether cooks or people who worked in cook related jobs have an increased uveal melanoma risk...
- [Capillary hemangioma of the retina in cases of von Hippel-Lindau syndrome. New therapeutic directions]N Bornfeld
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Essen, Germany
Ophthalmologe 104:114-8. 2007..The treatment of juxtapapillary angiomas is still a therapeutic dilemma. Vitreoretinal surgery should be confined to advanced stages with tractional detachment or when no other treatment option is available to salvage the eye...
- [Age-related macular degeneration--new options for therapy?]N Bornfeld
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:379-80. 2005
- [Retinoblastoma]N Bornfeld
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Ophthalmologe 103:59-76; quiz 77-8. 2006..Molecular genetic research on the origin of retinoblastomas has substantially helped in our understanding of the origin of malignant tumors in general, as well as to the key role of the Rb-1 gene as a tumor suppressor...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of retinoblastoma: current strategies for effective tumour control and preservation of vision]P Temming
Klinik für Kinderheilkunde III, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 230:232-42. 2013..This article was translated and modified and was primarily published in Klin Padiatr 2012; 224: 339-347...
- Current concepts for diagnosis and treatment of retinoblastoma in Germany: aiming for safe tumor control and vision preservationP Temming
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Klin Padiatr 224:339-47. 2012..Multicenter clinical trials are being developed to evaluate evidence-based treatment concepts for localized and metastasized retinoblastoma to improve survival rates and quality of life of children with retinoblastoma...
- [Uveal melanoma: current insights into clinical relevance of genetic testing]C H Metz
Klinik fur Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 230:686-91. 2013..Moreover relatives of these patients should be offered a screening for BAP1 mutation. ..
- Thermochemotherapy in hereditary retinoblastomaA O Schueler
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:90-5. 2003..The aim of this study was to identify safe indications, the complications as well as the limitations of this new treatment for retinoblastoma...
- Ruthenium-106 plaque brachytherapy for symptomatic vasoproliferative tumours of the retinaG Anastassiou
Augenklinik, Universitatsklinikum Essen, 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 90:447-50. 2006..To investigate the safety and efficacy of beta ray brachytherapy in treatment of vasoproliferative tumours of the retina (VTR)...
- [New developments in molecular genetics and treatment of retinoblastoma]N Bornfeld
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 228:593-8. 2011..The excellent prognosis for retinoblastomas in countries with a well developed health system is contrasted by the miserable prognosis for retinoblastomas in developing countries, which must be changed by a joint effort of all centres...
- [Value of transretinal tumor biopsy as diagnostic and predictive instrument]E Biewald
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Deutschland
Ophthalmologe 110:882-4. 2013..This review will focus on the various biopsy techniques and indications for this method. ..
- Prognostic significance of chromosome 3 alterations determined by microsatellite analysis in uveal melanoma: a long-term follow-up studyS Thomas
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen, Germany
Br J Cancer 106:1171-6. 2012..The strong association of metastatic disease with M3 offers the opportunity for molecular prognostic testing of UM patients...
- [TTF-1 (8G7G3/1) positive colon adenocarcinoma: diagnostic implications]H G Reis
Institut für Pathologie und Neuropathologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Pathologe 32:349-51. 2011..We report on a patient with TTF-1 (clone 8G7G3/1) positive adenocarcinoma of the colon with metastases to the eye and lung and discuss TTF-1 based diagnostic considerations...
- [Intraocular medulloepithelioma - series of 10 cases and review of the literature]M Holdt
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 226:1017-22. 2009..Metastasis did not occur, but epiretinal tumor seeding did occur in one patient. In one of the 3 not enucleated eyes, ruthenium-106 brachytherapy could salvage the tumor containing eye...
- Expression of Fas and Fas ligand in uveal melanoma: biological implication and prognostic valueG Anastassiou
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, University of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
J Pathol 194:466-72. 2001..The clinical relevance of this observation is limited, as more predictive parameters have been described for uveal melanoma...
- Partial deletions of the long and short arm of chromosome 3 point to two tumor suppressor genes in uveal melanomaF Tschentscher
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Cancer Res 61:3439-42. 2001..5 Mb in 3p25. This SRO does not overlap with the VHL gene. Our finding suggests a role for two tumor suppressor genes in metastasizing uveal melanoma and may explain the loss of an entire chromosome 3 in these tumors...
- Expression of VLA-2, VLA-3, and alpha(v) integrin receptors in uveal melanoma: association with microvascular architecture of the tumour and prognostic valueG Anastassiou
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical Faculty, University of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 84:899-902. 2000..There is some evidence that interactions between the tumour cells and the extracellular matrix are responsible for the shape of these patterns...
- [Endoresection of large uveal melanomas after pretreatment by single-dose stereotactic convergence irradiation with the leksell gamma knife--first experience on 46 cases]H Schilling
Universitäts Augenklinik Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 223:513-20. 2006..The aim of this non-comparative, consecutive case series is to evaluate the short-term results after endoresection of large uveal melanomas in combination with pretreatment with stereotactic gamma knife radiosurgery...
- Expression of the cell adhesion molecules ICAM-1, VCAM-1 and NCAM in uveal melanoma: a clinicopathological studyG Anastassiou
Department of Ophthalmology, Biometry and Epidemiology, Medical Faculty, University of Essen, Germany
Oncology 58:83-8. 2000..NCAM and VCAM-1 expression was not related to metastasis. Our results show that the loss of ICAM-1 expression is associated with an increased risk of metastasis within the first 5 years after diagnosis...
- ["Talking Eyes" versus "Silent Ophthalmoscopy"?]B Jurklies
Universitats Augenklinik, Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:317-8. 2005
- [Corneoretinal dystrophy (Bietti)-- Long-term course of one patient over a period of 30 years, and interindividual variability of clinical and electrophysiological findings in two patients]B Jurklies
Universitäts Augenklinik Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen Direktor der Abteilung für Erkrankungen des hinteren Augenabschnittes Prof Dr N Bornfeld, E mail
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 218:562-9. 2001..A tapetoretinal dystrophy with crystalline deposits of the retina and limbal cornea was described by Bietti in 1937. To date, only a few cases with long-term follow up have been reported...
- Monitoring retinal function in neovascular maculopathy using multifocal electroretinography - early and long-term correlation with clinical findingsB Jurklies
University Eye Hospital Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:244-64. 2002..To objectively investigate and longitudinally monitor retinal function in patients with choroidal neovascularization (CNV) due to exudative age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and myopia using multifocal electroretinography (mfERG)...
- Photodynamic therapy using verteporfin in circumscribed choroidal haemangiomaB Jurklies
Department of Ophthalmology, Univ Hospital Essen, Germany Department of Ophthalmology, Univ Hospital Lübeck, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:84-9. 2003..To investigate the safety and efficacy of photodynamic therapy with verteporfin in patients with choroidal haemangioma...
- High resolution magnetic resonance imaging of retinoblastomaA O Schueler
Department of Ophthalmology, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:330-5. 2003..Parameters studied were appearance of retinoblastoma, choroidal and scleral infiltration, extraocular extension, optic nerve infiltration, and vitreous seeding...
- Whole-body fluorine-18 fluordeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (FDG-PET/CT) in staging of advanced uveal melanomaL S Freudenberg
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Surv Ophthalmol 49:537-40. 2004..Furthermore, PET revealed an unknown otherwise undetected vital liver metastasis. We conclude that combined FDG-PET/CT has potential to further improve staging and therapy planning in patients with advanced uveal melanoma...
- [New therapeutic strategies for retinoblastoma: non-systemic chemotherapy]E Biewald
Klinik für Erkrankungen des hinteren Augenabschnittes, Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitätsklinikum Essen AöR, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45147, Essen, Deutschland
Ophthalmologe 111:379-82. 2014..Therefore, new non-systemic chemotherapy strategies, such as the intra-arterial or intravitreal administration of melphalan are being revised with the aim of reducing systemic side effects. ..
- Bilateral Bartonella henselae neuroretinitis with stellate maculopathy in a 6-year-old boyC H D Metz
University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Infection 40:191-4. 2012..Bartonella henselae, the cause of cat-scratch disease in humans, may lead to characteristic vision-threatening ocular findings, which importantly indicate diagnosis...
- [Endoscopic resection of malignant melanomas of the uvea after preoperative stereotactic single dose convergence irradiation with the Leksell gamma knife]N Bornfeld
Universitatsklinikum Essen, Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Abteilung für Erkrankungen des hinteren Augenabschnitts, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen
Ophthalmologe 99:338-44. 2002..Tumor-destroying, single-dose convergence irradiation (radiosurgery) of such tumors applied shortly before endoresection can represent a possible therapeutic alternative in these types of cases...
- Photodynamic therapy with verteporfin in paediatric and young adult patients: long-term treatment results of choroidal neovascularisationsA Lipski
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Essen, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 92:655-60. 2008..The aim of this study is to highlight the applicability of photodynamic therapy using verteporfin (PDT) in these patients...
- [Clinical findings in autosomal recessive syndrome of blue cone hypersensitivity]B Jurklies
, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen
Ophthalmologe 98:285-93. 2001..These unusual ERG findings may be due to a depressed rod system and an increased number of S-cone photoreceptors, postreceptoral circuits, and S-cone sensitive ganglion cells...
- [The Position of the Retinological Society, the German Ophthalmological Society and the Professional Association of Ophthalmologists--comments on the current therapy for neovascular AMD]D Pauleikhoff
Augenabteilung des St Franziskus Krankenhauses, Munster
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:381-8. 2005..Referring to these data, expert guidance is required to supply ophthalmologists with expertise in the management of AMD to select and use the most appropriate therapies in the treatment of neovascular AMD...
- High-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem cell rescue in children with retinoblastomaB Kremens
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospitals of Essen, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 31:281-4. 2003..It may control occult CNS disease. The necessity to irradiate these children and the curative potential of this strategy for patients with bulky CNS disease remain to be determined...
- [Malignant and non-malignant uveitis-masquerade syndromes in childhood]A Schuler
Universitats Augenklinik, Gesamthochschule Duisburg Essen, Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:477-82. 2007..In case of doubt in childhood, an examination under anaesthesia and, if necessary, further imaging diagnostics should be performed in order to avoid with certainty a false diagnosis having possibly serious consequences...
- [Primary pars plana vitrectomy. Techniques, indications, and results]H Heimann
St Paul s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool
Ophthalmologe 105:19-26. 2008..In contrast, primary vitrectomy does not seem to offer an advantage over scleral buckling in phakic patients...
- Age at diagnosis of isolated unilateral retinoblastoma does not distinguish patients with and without a constitutional RB1 gene mutation but is influenced by a parent-of-origin effectA Schuler
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Eur J Cancer 41:735-40. 2005..Our findings suggest that, at least in some patients, age at diagnosis is modified by a parent-of-origin effect...
- [Blocking nociceptive afferents by retrobulbar bupivacaine does not decrease nausea and vomiting after propofol-remifentanil anaesthesia]D Muller
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 38:689-94. 2003....
- [Development of an epiretinal prosthesis for stimulation of the human retina]M Feucht
Augenklinik, Universitat Hamburg
Ophthalmologe 102:688-91. 2005..Initial results of acute epiretinal stimulation using an epiretinal implant in legally blind patients demonstrate that acute epiretinal stimulation of the human retina is feasible and safe...
- Are low inflammatory reactions involved in exudative age-related macular degeneration? Morphological and immunhistochemical analysis of AMD associated with basal depositsA Lommatzsch
Department of Ophthalmology and Ophtha Lab, St Franziskus Hospital Münster, Munster, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:803-10. 2008..Therefore, analysis of BLD composition may provide further information concerning the pathogenesis of BLD and CNV in age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- The possible role of radiofrequency radiation in the development of uveal melanomaA Stang
Institute for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Medical Faculty, University of Essen, Germany
Epidemiology 12:7-12. 2001..This is the first study describing an association between radiofrequency radiation exposure and uveal melanoma. Several methodologic limitations prevent our results from providing clear evidence on the hypothesized association...
- [Malignant melanoma of the uvea. Current status and prospects]N Bornfeld
Ophthalmologe 99:325-6. 2002