Affiliation: University of Leipzig
- Neuronal growth: a bistable stochastic processTimo Betz
Institute of Soft Matter Physics, Linnestrasse 5, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 96:098103. 2006..An analysis of growth cone motility confirms the model, and predicts that linear changes of the bistable potential, as known from stochastic filtering, result in directed growth cone translocation...
- Excitation beyond the monochromatic laser limit: simultaneous 3-D confocal and multiphoton microscopy with a tapered fiber as white-light laser sourceTimo Betz
Universitat Leipzig, Fakultat fur Physik und Geowissenschaften, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Biomed Opt 10:054009. 2005..By developing a coherent and intense laser source with spectral width comparable to a mercury lamp, we provide the flexibility to excite any desired fluorophore combination...
- Stochastic actin polymerization and steady retrograde flow determine growth cone advancementTimo Betz
Division of Soft Matter Physics, Department of Physics, Universitat Leipzig, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Biophys J 96:5130-8. 2009..This hints at a possible role of noise intensity in determining signal detection sensitivity...
- Growth cones as soft and weak force generatorsTimo Betz
Division of Soft Matter Physics, Department of Physics, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13420-5. 2011..Traction force measurements confirmed these values. Hence, our results indicate that growth cones are particularly soft and weak structures that may be very sensitive to the mechanical properties of their environment...
- Optical neuronal guidanceAllen Ehrlicher
Lehrstuhl für die Physik weicher Materie, Fakultat fur Physik und Geowissenschaften, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestr 5, Leipzig D 04103, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 83:495-520. 2007..Automated tracking and laser micromanipulation of cells. Rev. Sci. Instr. 76, 035105]. Optical guidance may eventually be used alone or with other methods for controlling neurite extension in both research and clinical applications...
- Combined phase-sensitive acoustic microscopy and confocal laser scanning microscopyAlbert Kamanyi
Institute of Experimental Physics II, University of Leipzig, Linnestr 5, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Ultrasonics 44:e1295-300. 2006..Material contrast can be gained from acoustic amplitude V(z) graphs. In the case of the biological cells investigated, the optical and acoustic images are very different and exhibit different features of the samples...
- Simultaneous manipulation and detection of living cell membrane dynamicsMichael Gögler
Department of Physics, University of Leipzig, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Opt Lett 32:1893-5. 2007..We investigated the membrane motion at the leading edge of red blood cells in detail and showed that this technique can achieve simultaneous manipulation and detection of cellular edge dynamics with unprecedented precision...
- Neurite branch retraction is caused by a threshold-dependent mechanical impactKristian Franze
Department of Physics, Soft Matter Physics Group, Paul Flechsig Institute of Brain Research, Universitat Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Biophys J 97:1883-90. 2009....