Genomes and Genes
University of Hamburg
Organization: University of Hamburg
- Bilateral Achromobacter xylosoxidans keratitis after laser in situ keratomileusisStephan J Linke
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:1045-7. 2010..Two months after surgery, both transplants remained clear...
- L-Arginine therapy in cardiovascular pathologies: beneficial or dangerous?Rainer H Boger
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11:55-61. 2008....
- Identification of wheat gliadins as an allergen family related to baker's asthmaCordula Bittner
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Maritime Medicine ZfAM, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:744-9. 2008..Therefore the reliability of current diagnostic procedures is insufficient. Only few of the suspected causative wheat allergens have been hitherto characterized on the molecular level...
- A combined dexamethasone/corticotropin-releasing hormone test in patients with chronic PTSD--first preliminary resultsChristoph Muhtz
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 42:689-93. 2008..More refined laboratory tests and subgrouping of PTSD patients might help to decrease variance of findings...
- Decennial follow-up in patients with recurrent tachycardia originating from the right ventricular outflow tract: electrophysiologic characteristics and response to treatmentRodolfo Ventura
Department of Cardiology, University Heart Center, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, and Asklepios Hospital, Germany
Eur Heart J 28:2338-45. 2007..All patients (pts) referred to our institution during the last 20 years for the treatment of RVOT-T were studied in a retrospective analysis to assess mortality and efficacy of treatment...
- Cerebellar atrophy following mild head injury in a 4-year-old girlJ Matschke
Forensic Neuropathology, University Medical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Pediatr Neurosurg 43:330-3. 2007..To the best of our knowledge, cerebellar atrophy following mild head injury in man has not been described morphologically so far...
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Double-outlet left ventricleChristian Lilje
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Universitäts Klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Circulation 115:e36-7. 2007
- GABA(B) receptors and synaptic modulationHans Christian Kornau
Center for Molecular Neurobiology ZMNH, University of Hamburg, Falkenried 94, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 326:517-33. 2006..This review summarizes our knowledge of the localization, structure and function of GABA(B) receptors in the central nervous system and their use as drug targets for neurological and psychiatric disorders...
- Moss biology and phytohormones--cytokinins in PhyscomitrellaK Von Schwartzenberg
Biozentrum Klein Flottbek und Botanischer Garten, Universitat Hamburg, Ohnhorststrasse 18, 22609 Hamburg, Germany
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 8:382-8. 2006..Further studies on hormone physiology in moss will help to complete our understanding of hormonal homeostasis by elucidating the situation in an evolutionary early embryophyte...
- Experimental metastasis and primary tumor growth in mice with hemophilia AF Langer
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitätsklinikum Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Thromb Haemost 4:1056-62. 2006..Although TF expression by B16F10 cells may promote thrombin-dependent metastasis in mice with hemophilia A, amplification of coagulation by host FVIII appears to be necessary for maximum lung seeding...
- Anti-proliferative effect of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonists on human malignant melanoma cells in vitroChristian Freudlsperger
Zentrum für Experimentelle Medizin, Institut für Anatomie II Experimentelle Morphologie, Hamburg, Germany
Anticancer Drugs 17:325-32. 2006..As an already approved class of drugs, glitazones have been found to significantly inhibit growth of human malignant melanoma cells in vitro and might be a promising tool for further therapeutic studies...
- Pulmonary embolism caused by polymethylmethacrylate during percutaneous vertebroplasty in orthopaedic surgeryM Freitag
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Medical Centre, Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:248-51. 2006..Our present case report describes a woman with pulmonary polymethylmethacrylate embolism during percutaneous vertebroplasty who presented with hypotension, arrhythmia and hypocapnia...
- Apolipoprotein E recycling: implications for dyslipidemia and atherosclerosisJoerg Heeren
Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:442-8. 2006..This review summarizes the current understanding of apoE recycling and its potential role in the regulation of plasma apoE levels in the postprandial state...
- Neural coupling binds visual tokens to moving stimuliMichael Rose
NeuroImage Nord, Department for Systems Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Neurosci 25:10101-4. 2005..In accord with this assumption, our data show stronger oscillatory coupling between right and left visual cortices during perception of horizontal motion compared with vertical motion...
- Radical redo surgery for local rectal cancer recurrence improves overall survival: a single center experiencePaulus Schurr
Department of General, Visceral and Thoracic Surgery, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 12:1232-8. 2008..To date, the survival benefit of redo surgery in locally recurrent rectal adenocarcinoma remains unclear...
- Induction of chronic renal allograft injury by injection of a monoclonal antibody against a donor MHC Ib molecule in a nude rat modelMartina Koch
Klinik fuer Allgemein, Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Transpl Immunol 19:187-91. 2008..Therefore, we utilized a transplant rat model injecting a moAb directed against a donor MHC Ib molecule into athymic nude recipients lacking an immunocompetent T-cell system...
- [A satisfied patient--a good doc? To what extent is patient satisfaction an indicator of quality in general practice? A systematic review]Bettina Berger
Universitat Hamburg, MIN Fakultät, Gesundheitswissenschaften, Martin Luther King Platz 6, 20146 Hamburg, German
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 102:299-306. 2008....
- Ancillary subunits associated with voltage-dependent K+ channelsOlaf Pongs
Institut für Neurale Signalverarbeitung, Zentrum fur Molekulare Neurobiologie Hamburg, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Universitat Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Physiol Rev 90:755-96. 2010..We critically review present knowledge on the physiological role of ancillary Kv channel subunits and their effects on Kv channel properties...
- A short goal-pursuit intervention to improve physical capacity: a randomized clinical trial in chronic back pain patientsSandra Christiansen
Department of Psychology, Outpatient Clinic of Behavior Therapy, University of Hamburg, Von Melle Park 5, Hamburg, Germany
Pain 149:444-52. 2010..Findings are discussed with relation to the use of the intervention as a specific treatment to increase chronic pain patients' motivation to be physically active...
- Quantitative MR imaging of targeted SPIO particles on the cell surface and comparison to flow cytometryKersten Peldschus
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Cancer Center Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Magn Reson Imaging 28:599-606. 2010..To detect anti-CEACAM5 targeted superparamagnetic iron oxide (SPIO) particles in vitro on the cell surface by quantitative magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and to compare with flow cytometry...
- [Intra-operative drop in sevoflurane and oxygen concentrations. Leakage of the ventilation system]M Roiss
Zentrum für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg
Anaesthesist 58:1226-30. 2009..This should be an important component of training in anesthesiology as well as securely established algorithms for difficult ventilation to ensure safe anesthesia despite technical failures...
- A highly effective, nontoxic T1 MR contrast agent based on ultrasmall PEGylated iron oxide nanoparticlesUlrich I Tromsdorf
Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Grindelallee 117, 20146 Hamburg, Germany
Nano Lett 9:4434-40. 2009..3 mM(-1) s(-1)) that is two times higher compared to that of Magnevist as a typical T(1) contrast agent based on gadolinium as a clinical standard...
- Asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) as a prospective marker of cardiovascular disease and mortality--an update on patient populations with a wide range of cardiovascular riskRainer H Boger
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Pharmacol Res 60:481-7. 2009....
- Virtual reality simulator for the training of lumbar puncturesMatthias Färber
Department of Medical Informatics, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Methods Inf Med 48:493-501. 2009..A virtual reality (VR) lumbar puncture simulator based on real patient data has been developed and evaluated...
- [Surface ECG presentation and intracardiac electrogram characteristics of uncommon supraventricular tachycardia entities]T Rostock
Klinik für Kardiologie mit Schwerpunkt Elektrophysiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Universitäres Herzzentrum Hamburg, Martinistr 52, 20246, Hamburg, Deustchland
Herzschrittmacherther Elektrophysiol 20:14-22. 2009....
- Cancer micrometastasesKlaus Pantel
Institute of Tumour Biology, Center of Experimental Medicine, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 6:339-51. 2009..This Review focuses on the clinical relevance of the latest research results on blood-borne cancer micrometastases in patients with cancer...
- Quantitative analysis of victim demographics and injury characteristics at a metropolitan Medico-Legal CenterD Seifert
University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Institute of Legal Medicine, Butenfeld 34, 22529 Hamburg, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 188:46-51. 2009..A correlation was demonstrated between injury typologies and four possible perpetrator-victim constellations, each of which was subcategorized into sexual and non-sexual assaults...
- Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor (AOT) of maxillary sinus: case report with respect to immunohistochemical findingsReinhard E Friedrich
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Nordwestdeutsche Kieferklinik, Eppendorf Medical Center, University of Hamburg, Germany
In Vivo 23:111-6. 2009..The tumor showed immunoreactivity for certain types of cytokeratins, vimentin and p63, and was focally immunoreactive for alpha smooth muscle actin and epithelial membrane antigen...
- The patient benefit index: a novel approach in patient-defined outcomes measurement for skin diseasesMatthias Augustin
Department of Dermatology, German Center for Health Services Research in Dermatology CVderm, University Clinics of Hamburg, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Arch Dermatol Res 301:561-71. 2009..91) and construct validity, high responsiveness, and discrimination between subgroups. The PBI permits valid evaluation of patient-relevant benefits in dermatological treatment...
- High-resolution diffusion tensor imaging with inner field-of-view EPIJurgen Finsterbusch
Department of Systems Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Magn Reson Imaging 29:987-93. 2009..To demonstrate the applicability of inner field-of-view (FOV) echo-planar imaging based on spatially two-dimensional selective radiofrequency excitations to high-resolution diffusion tensor imaging...
- [Which therapy comparisons are fair?]Karl Wegscheider
Institut für Statistik und Okonometrie, Universitat Hamburg, Hamburg
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 99:275-8. 2005..Rather, a complementary approach of different evaluation methods with all treatments to be compared should be used, with open discussion of strengths and weaknesses of the approaches applied in each particular case...
- Induction of Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm formation via proteolytic processing of the accumulation-associated protein by staphylococcal and host proteasesHolger Rohde
Institut für Infektionsmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Microbiol 55:1883-95. 2005..epidermidis cell aggregation and biofilm formation, thereby enabling the pathogen to evade clearance by phagocytes...
- Spatial mapping of pulmonary and vascular nitrotyrosine reveals the pivotal role of myeloperoxidase as a catalyst for tyrosine nitration in inflammatory diseasesStephan Baldus
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 33:1010. 2002....
- Dislocation of the polyethylene liner in hip arthroplasty: 6 patients with dislocation within 3 yearsOliver Niggemeyer
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital of Hamburg, Germany
Acta Orthop Scand 73:403-6. 2002..This early complication may be difficult to diagnose because of normal radiographs. We suggest that the manufacturer should provide the insert with a metal marker to make this complication easier to detect...
- [SQUID-biosusceptometry in iron overloaded patients with hematologic diseases]P Nielsen
Klinik fur Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Klin Padiatr 214:218-22. 2002..Basis of the adequate treatment are appropriate diagnostic parameters which are capable to monitor the range of the individual iron burden...
- Cyclic ADP-ribose (cADPR) and nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NAADP): novel regulators of Ca2+-signaling and cell functionAndreas H Guse
University of Hamburg, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Institute for Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Div of Cellular Signal Transduction, Germany
Curr Mol Med 2:273-82. 2002..Though our understanding of the role of NAADP is still unclear in many aspects, important recent findings are reviewed, e.g. Ca2+ release activity and binding studies in mammalian cell types...
- Expression of cell-cycle regulatory proteins in endometrial carcinomas: correlations with hormone receptor status and clinicopathologic parametersK Milde-Langosch
Department of Gynecopathology, Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 127:537-44. 2001..As this tightly controlled system is disturbed in endometrial carcinomas, we analyzed which cell-cycle regulators are involved in endometrial carcinogenesis...
- CT and MRI in the diagnosis of acute stroke and their role in thrombolysisJ Rother
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Thromb Res 103:S125-33. 2001..The extension of the therapeutic window for thrombolytic therapy towards 6 hours in a subpopulation of acute stroke patients might open the way for the successful reperfusion therapy in more stroke patients...
- [Ropivacaine 0.2% versus bupivacaine 0.125% plus sufentanil for continuous peridural analgesia following extended abdominal operations]M A Burmeister
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 36:219-23. 2001..An improved opioid-free analgesia concept using thoracic epidural anlgesia with a low concentrated local anaesthetic alone could be of practical interest for hospitals which are unable to guarantee continuous monitoring on the wards...
- [MRI in the preoperative diagnosis of chronic sinusitis: comparison with CT]F Weiss
Klinik und Poliklinik für Radiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Rofo 173:319-24. 2001..To determine the value of MRI in the preoperative evaluation of chronic paranasal sinusitis and to compare the results with CT and intraoperative findings...
- SV40 sequences in human osteosarcoma of German originS Heinsohn
Children s University Hospital of Hamburg, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Anticancer Res 20:4539-45. 2000....
- Subarachnoid sufentanil for early postoperative pain management in orthopedic patients: a placebo-controlled, double-blind study using spinal microcathetersT G Standl
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 94:230-8. 2001..Because even small doses of local anesthetics can be associated with motor deficits, subarachnoid opioid injection may be an alternative...
- Myocardial viability assessed by positron emission tomography in infants and children after the arterial switch operation and suspected infarctionC Rickers
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 36:1676-83. 2000....
- Role of superoxide dismutase in in vivo and in vitro nitrate toleranceT Munzel
Division of Cardiology, The University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 127:1224-30. 1999..Therefore, in vivo tolerance can be mimicked by in vitro inhibition of CuZnSOD, but not by in vitro exposure to GTN, which does not affect vascular *O2- production, NADH oxidase and CuZnSOD...
- A novel A-isoform-like inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate 3-kinase from chicken erythrocytes exhibits alternative splicing and conservation of intron positions between vertebrates and invertebratesU Bertsch
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Abteilung für Enzymchemie, Universitats Krankenhaus Eppendorf, Universitat Hamburg, D 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Gene 228:61-71. 1999..Functional data for the enzyme suggests that the conserved exons represent defined functional protein modules...
- Scavenger receptor BI (SR-BI) mediates a higher selective cholesteryl ester uptake from LpA-I compared with LpA-I:A-II lipoprotein particlesFranz Rinninger
Zentrum fuer Innere Medizin, Universitaetsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Universitaet Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 166:31-40. 2003....
- Evidence of toxic side effects of perfluorohexyloctane after vitreoretinal surgery as well as in previously established in vitro models with ocular cell typesSylvia Mertens
Klinik und Poliklinik für Augenheilkunde des Universitätsklinikums Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:989-95. 2002....
- Alcohol consumption in Alzheimer's disease. A case reportTomas Müller-Thomsen
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Addict Res 9:51-2. 2003..As late-onset alcohol consumption is rare, it often indicates a different underlying disorder. We present a case where late-onset alcohol drinking occurred during the onset of Alzheimer's disease...
- Seventeen novel PLP1 mutations in patients with Pelizaeus-Merzbacher diseaseChristian A Hübner
Institute of Human Genetics, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Hum Mutat 25:321-2. 2005..Two patients had large deletions, spanning approximately 115 kb, that included the PLP1 gene. In total, we identified pathogenic mutations involving PLP1 in 35 (26.3%) of the 133 patients analyzed...
- Physiological functions of CLC Cl- channels gleaned from human genetic disease and mouse modelsThomas J Jentsch
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie Hamburg ZMNH, Universitat Hamburg, Falkenried 94, D 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Annu Rev Physiol 67:779-807. 2005....
- [Fractures of the distal humerus]J M Rueger
Klinik und Poliklinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Zentrum für Operative Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hambung
Unfallchirurg 108:49-57; quiz 58. 2005..Unfavourable results can, however, not be avoided in all cases, especially if fractures are complicated by concomitant lesions of soft tissues, nerves or vessels...
- Biomechanical analysis of transpedicular screw fixation in the subaxial cervical spineRalph Kothe
Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1869-75. 2004..An in vitro biomechanical study to compare 2 different dorsal screw fixation techniques in the cervical spine with respect to primary stability and stability after cyclic loading...
- Mechanisms of biofilm formation in Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus: functional molecules, regulatory circuits, and adaptive responsesDietrich Mack
Institut für Infektionsmedizin, Zentrum für Klinisch Theoretische Medizin I, Universitätsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf Martinistr 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 294:203-12. 2004..Experimental approaches for analysis of differential expression of genes involved in these adaptive responses and evolving patterns of gene expression are discussed...
- [Differential group experiences of cognitive-behavioral and psychodynamic group psychotherapy]Birgit Watzke
Institut und Poliklinik für Medizinische Psychologie, Zentrum fur Psychosoziale Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol 54:348-57. 2004..The results suggest that the different treatment approaches foster different qualities and quantities of group experience and that the latter seems not to evolve from the group context "per se" (i. e. by the plurality of the group)...
- Lead exposure by drinking water: an epidemiologial study in Hamburg, GermanyRegina Fertmann
Epidemiology Working Group, Department of Environment and Health, Institute for Medical Biometry and Epidemiology, Hamburg, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 207:235-44. 2004..Lead in tap water stands for an avoidable surplus exposure. These results underline the relevance of health care preventive measures for the most sensitive groups...
- Unified inflectional processing of regular and irregular verbs: a PET studyM Sach
University Hospital Dusseldorf, Department of Neurology, Moorenstr 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Neuroreport 15:533-7. 2004..Our results support common processing components for regular and irregular verb inflection...
- Mandibular augmentation with vascularized fibula transplantation in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosusLei Li
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:497-9. 2004
- [Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in childhood]W A Hassenpflug
Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Zentrum für Frauen, Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Klinik für Pädiatrische Hämatologie und Onkologie, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg
Hamostaseologie 24:71-6. 2004..The patients are frequently assumed to suffer from idiopathic thrombocytopenia (ITP) or Evans syndrome. Further efforts are necessary to accelerate correct diagnosis and to establish a risk-adapted prophylactic therapy...
- What causes stuttering?Christian Buchel
Department of Neurology at the University of Hamburg in Hamburg, Germany
PLoS Biol 2:E46. 2004
- [Early diagnosis: is information a value itself? Evaluation of genetic screening]Regine Kollek
Forschungsschwerpunkt Biotechnik, Gesselschaft und Umwelt, Universitat Hamburg
Med Klin (Munich) 98:233-6. 2003
- Phylogeographic patterns in populations of the black-chinned tilapia complex (Teleostei, Cichlidae) from coastal areas in West Africa: support for the refuge zone theoryThomas M Falk
Zoologisches Institut und Zoologisches Museum der Universität Hamburg, Martin Luther King Pl 3, 20146 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Phylogenet Evol 27:81-92. 2003..Moreover, this study genetically supports the existence of Sarotherodon melanotheron leonensis for the first time and further confirms the validity of the most recently introduced subspecies, e.g., Sarotherodon nigripinnis dolloi...
- Cognitive performance, mood and experimental pain before and during morphine-induced analgesia in patients with chronic non-malignant painJ Lorenz
Institute of Physiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Pain 73:369-75. 1997....