Genomes and Genes
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Organization: University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- FcγRIV deletion reveals its central role for IgG2a and IgG2b activity in vivoFalk Nimmerjahn
Department of Biology, Institute of Genetics, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:19396-401. 2010....
- Maintenance chemotherapy after chemoradiation improves survival of patients with locally advanced pancreatic carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of prospectively recruited patientsThomas B Brunner
Department of Radiation Oncology, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Universitätstrasse 27, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 182:210-5. 2006..The aim of the present study was to retrospectively assess overall survival and toxicity of chemotherapy in addition to chemoradiation in this patient group...
- Onset of action of levetiracetam: a RCT trial using therapeutic intensive seizure analysis (TISA)Hermann Stefan
Epilepsy Center Erlangen, Department of Neurology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Epilepsia 47:516-22. 2006..To correlate the onset of clinical effects of add-on levetiracetam (LEV) therapy with daily serum LEV concentration, in pharmaco-resistant focal epilepsies, using the TISA method...
- Adrenomedullin is a novel marker of tumor progression in neuroendocrine carcinomasM E Pavel
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine I, Erlangen Nürnberg University Hospital, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:112-8. 2006..Adrenomedullin might represent a useful prognostic marker in patients with neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Survival ensemblesTorsten Hothorn
Institut für Medizininformatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Waldstrasse 6, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Biostatistics 7:355-73. 2006....
- Hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: review and future perspectivesMichael P Lux
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Clinic Erlangen, Universitätsstrasse 21 23, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:16-28. 2006..Without adjuvant hormone therapy or chemotherapy, the overall survival in BRCA mutation carriers is reduced. Chemotherapy regimens involving platinum are particularly beneficial in the treatment of hereditary BC...
- Impaired myocardial capillarogenesis and increased adaptive capillary growth in FGF2-deficient miceKerstin Amann
Department of Pathology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Lab Invest 86:45-53. 2006..These data demonstrate that two intact Fgf2 genes are necessary for normal capillary development after birth, whereas FGF2 seems to be dispensable for adaptive myocardial capillary growth in the adult mouse...
- Contrast-enhanced sonography for the characterisation of hepatocellular carcinomas--correlation with histological differentiationD Strobel
Medizinische Klinik I und Poliklinik, Ultraschallabteilung Friedrich Alexander Universität, Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen
Ultraschall Med 26:270-6. 2005....
- Intelligibility of laryngectomees' substitute speech: automatic speech recognition and subjective ratingMaria Schuster
Department of Phoniatrics and Pedaudiology, University of Erlangen, Bohlenplatz 21, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:188-93. 2006..For clinical use, the speech recognition system will be adapted to disturbed voices and can also be applied in other languages...
- Colonoscopic treatment of obstructive appendicitis caused by dislocation of a biliary stentD Schwab
Department of Medicine I, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Endoscopy 37:606. 2005
- Uterine size in women with Turner syndrome after induction of puberty with estrogens and long-term growth hormone therapy: results of the German IGLU Follow-up Study 2001Helmuth G Doerr
University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Erlangen, Germany
Hum Reprod 20:1418-21. 2005..To evaluate the factors influencing uterine size in young adult women with Turner syndrome (TS) after long-term growth hormone (GH) treatment...
- Awareness of breast cancer incidence and risk factors among healthy womenU G Pöhls
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Erlangen, Universitaetsstrasse 21 23, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Cancer Prev 13:249-56. 2004..There is a need to separately address the perceptions of women depending on age, social status and educational levels...
- Enhanced lymphocyte proliferation responses in pediatric patients early after myelosuppressive chemotherapyDaniel Stachel
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Pediatr Blood Cancer 43:644-50. 2004..Adoptive T cell therapy in this period of lymphopenia-induced (homeostatic) proliferation has shown better results than in steady state in murine studies...
- TriboliumMartin Klingler
Institut fur Zoologie, Staudtstrasse 5, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Curr Biol 14:R639-40. 2004
- Platelet function in variable platelet split products intended for neonatal transfusionErwin F Strasser
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Hemostaseology and the Pediatric Clinic, University Hospital, FAU, Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Transfusion 46:757-65. 2006..Although neonatal transfusion could be critical, no standardization of production or systematic quality controls have been introduced so far...
- [Receptor-mediated Parkinson drugs]Frank Böckler
Centre for Protein Engineering, Medical Research Council, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Pharm Unserer Zeit 35:204-16. 2006
- A hierarchical 3D segmentation method and the definition of vertebral body coordinate systems for QCT of the lumbar spineAndré Mastmeyer
Institute of Medical Physics, University of Erlangen Nuernberg, Henkestrasse 91, 91052 Erlangen, Germany
Med Image Anal 10:560-77. 2006..A true 3D segmentation also enables an accurate measurement of geometrical parameters that may augment the clinical value of a pure BMD analysis...
- Persistent memory of diffusing particlesN Suciu
Chair for Applied Mathematics I, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 80:061134. 2009..In case of diffusion in random velocity fields with finite correlation range the particles forget the initial positions in the long-time limit and the variance is self-averaging, with clear tendency toward normal diffusion...
- Correlation between the interaction of the vinculin tail domain with lipid membranes, its phosphorylation and cell mechanical behaviourWolfgang H Goldmann
Center for Medical Physics and Technology, Biophysics Group, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Henkestrasse 91, 91052 Erlangen, Germany
Cell Biol Int 34:339-42. 2010..Vinculin is a pivotal FAC protein that has not only been implicated in regulating FAC formation and transmitting mechanical forces, but also in associating with membranous lipids in biological systems...
- Insight into the phosphoryl transfer of the Escherichia coli glucose phosphotransferase system from QM/MM simulationsChristophe Jardin
Institut fur Biochemie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Fahrstrasse 17, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Phys Chem B 112:13391-400. 2008....
- Novel human pathological mutations. Gene symbol: GJB1. Disease: Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease 1Bernd Rautenstrauss
University Hospital Erlangen, Human Genetics, Schwabachanlage, 10, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Hum Genet 122:556. 2007
- [From Descartes to fMRI. Pain theories and pain concepts]H O Handwerker
Institut fur Physiologie und Pathophysiologie, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Deutschland
Schmerz 21:307-10, 312-7. 2007..This new technology opened up new ways of understanding chronic pain processes and new possibilities for the control of therapeutic effects...
- Randomized trial of acupuncture to lower blood pressureFrank A Flachskampf
Med Klinik 2, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Ulmenweg 18, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Circulation 115:3121-9. 2007..Pharmacological treatment has limitations resulting from drug side effects, costs, and patient compliance. Thus, we investigated whether traditional Chinese medicine acupuncture is able to lower blood pressure...
- The impact of opioid-induced hyperalgesia for postoperative painWolfgang Koppert
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Krankenhousstrasse 12, D 91054 Erlongen, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 21:65-83. 2007....
- beta-ThymosinsE Hannappel
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Erlangen Nuremberg Fahrstr 17, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1112:21-37. 2007..However, very little is known about molecular mechanisms mediating the effects attributed to extracellular beta-thymosins...
- [Five year survival of patients with primary oral squamous cell carcinoma. Comparison of two treatment protocols in a prospective study]Peter Kessler
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Mund, Kiefer, Gesichtschirurgie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Deutschland
Strahlenther Onkol 183:184-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to discuss the 5-year survival rate in a neoadjuvant and an adjuvant combination treatment in patients with primary OSCC...
- Fulvestrant: a further treatment option for patients with metastatic uterine cancer?Michael P Lux
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Germany
Onkologie 29:577-80. 2006..We present the successful use of the antiestrogen fulvestrant in an endocrine therapy-naive patient with advanced uterine cancer...
- Hypoxic changes in Purkinje cells of the human cerebellumR Hausmann
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Int J Legal Med 121:175-83. 2007..Specimens that were stored at room temperature up to 30 h after removal at autopsy showed no significant autolytic changes of the Purkinje cells. After 46 h, however, reduced Purkinje cell numbers and shrunken cell bodies were found...
- [Binge eating disorder]M de Zwaan
Psychosomatische und Psychotherapeutische Abteilung, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen
Ther Umsch 63:529-33. 2006..The long-term treatment success of drug treatment remains unclear. It is currently discussed if BED represents a truly distinct diagnostic entity...
- [Conjunctival chemosis resistant to therapy]K Gottschalk
Augenklinik mit Poliklinik, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 223:696-8. 2006..Additional immunohistochemical staining using the Lyve-1 antibody (specific for lymphatic vascular endothelium) allowed the diagnosis of a lymphangioma of the conjunctiva to be made...
- [Supratentorial cavernoma and epileptic seizures. Are there predictors for postoperative seizure control?]H Stefan
Neurologische Klinik Zentrum Epilepsie ZEE, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen
Nervenarzt 75:755-62. 2004..None of the four patients harbouring multiple cavernomas became seizure-free after resection of one lesion, which was believed to be mostly attributable to the epileptic focus that was removed...
- Dose-dependent biphasic induction and transcriptional activity of nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB) in EA.hy.926 endothelial cells after low-dose X-irradiationF Rodel
Department of Radiooncology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Universitätsstrasse 27, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Int J Radiat Biol 80:115-23. 2004..hy.926 endothelial cells were analysed subsequently to low-dose radiotherapy...
- 7-Deaza-2'-deoxyguanosine allows PCR and sequencing reactions from CpG islandsA Jung
Pathologisches Institut, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Krankenhausstr 8 10, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Mol Pathol 55:55-7. 2002..Our results show that the addition of 7-deaza-2'-deoxyguanosine significantly improves results, particularly when small amounts of poor quality DNA are available as starting material...
- Molecular physiology of proton transduction in nociceptorsP W Reeh
Department of Physiology and Experimental Pathophysiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Curr Opin Pharmacol 1:45-51. 2001..Further heat-activated channels, not yet cloned, may not be gated by protons but sensitized so strongly that they open at the command of body temperature. In either case, the result may be pain from tissue acidosis...
- Fast kinetic analysis of ligand-gated ion channelsH G Breitinger
Institut fur Biochemie, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Neuroscientist 7:95-103. 2001..This article provides an overview of strategies and methods of fast ligand application and kinetic analysis using whole-cell and single channel patch clamp...
- PROGINS polymorphism of progesterone receptor is increased in female offspring with maternal exposure to diethylstilbestrolD G Engehausen
Department of Urology, University of Erlangen, Krankenhausstrasse 12, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Anticancer Res 20:5145-9. 2000..3% homozygous, 15% heterozygous). Mutation screening of PROGINS is an important advantage for the clinical management of screening and can give additional information to prevent or find vaginal cancer in early stages in DES-offspring...
- Expression of transcription factors during oligodendroglial developmentM Wegner
Institut fur Biochemie, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Fahrstrasse 17, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Microsc Res Tech 52:746-52. 2001..Although so far only a small percentage of oligodendroglial transcription factors has been identified, these are excellent candidates for regulators of cell type specification, lineage progression, and terminal differentiation...
- Mismatch repair deficiency in sporadic synchronous colorectal cancerW M Brueckl
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Krankenhausstr, 12, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Anticancer Res 20:4727-32. 2000..In the present study MSI and mismatch repair (MMR) proteins were evaluated according to standardised criteria (exclusion of a family history, MSI analysed according to NCI recommendations)..
- Autonomic failure after stroke--is it indicative for pathophysiology of complex regional pain syndrome?B Riedl
Neurologische Klink, Friedrich Alexander Universitat, Erlangen, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 103:27-34. 2001..In conclusion, our investigation suggests that many clinical symptoms and the main features of sympathetic dysfunction in CRPS could be explained by a CNS pathophysiology...
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging in epilepsy surgeryM Buchfelder
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Magn Reson Imaging 12:547-55. 2000..Increased knowledge of structure-function relationships as partially defined by intraoperative imaging may reduce the adverse neuropsychological sequelae of epilepsy surgery in the future...
- Characterization of iron uptake from transferrin by murine endothelial cellsR Hallmann
Institute for Experimental Medicine, University of Erlangen Nuernberg, Erlangen, Germany
Endothelium 7:135-47. 2000..On the basis of Tf- and Fe-metabolism both cell lines are similar and therefore well suited for use in in vitro models for Fe transport across the BBB...
- Androgen receptor gene mutations do not occur in ovarian cancerD G Engehausen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Anticancer Res 20:815-9. 2000..The decreased expression of hAR in advanced ovarian tumor is not due to genetic aberration of hAR. Mutation screening of hAR may not provide any information for risk assessment of developing ovarian cancer...
- The role of nitric oxide in innate immunityC Bogdan
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University of Erlangen, Germany
Immunol Rev 173:17-26. 2000..Some of these effects result from the function of NOS2/NO as an indispensable co-factor for the activation of Tyk2 kinase and, thus, for interleukin-12 and IFN-alpha/beta signaling in natural killer cells...
- Cancer cell cycle controlJ O Funk
Department of Dermatology, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Anticancer Res 19:4772-80. 1999..Unraveling these regulatory networks provides an important insight into the balance of normal and cancerous cell proliferation and is pivotal for the design of novel anticancer strategies...
- The human immunodeficiency virus type 1 nef gene can to a large extent replace simian immunodeficiency virus nef in vivoF Kirchhoff
Institute for Clinical and Molecular Virology, University of Erlangen Nuernberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Virol 73:8371-83. 1999..5 years of follow-up. The other animal showed an increasing viral load and developed signs of progressive infection during later stages. Our data demonstrate that HIV-1 nef can, to a large extent, functionally replace SIVmac nef in vivo...
- Invasive bladder cancer: organ preservation by radiochemotherapyC Rodel
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Erlangen, Germany
Front Radiat Ther Oncol 36:118-30. 2002
- The spectrum of contact allergy in elderly patients with and without lower leg dermatitisWolfgang Uter
Information Network of Department of Dermatology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Dermatology 204:266-72. 2002..There is a strong influence of lower leg dermatitis on the spectrum of allergic contact sensitivity in elderly patients...
- Insulin resistance, hyperleptinemia, and obstructive sleep apnea in Launois-Bensaude syndromeIgor A Harsch
Department of Medicine I, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Obes Res 10:625-32. 2002..We were interested in studying whether these conditions are also present in patients with obesity due to LBS with a similar frequency as in patients with "simple" truncal obesity...
- Neuronavigation in epilepsy surgeryChristopher Nimsky
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 61:109-14. 2003
- Sacral spinal nerve stimulation for faecal incontinence: multicentre studyKlaus E Matzel
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Lancet 363:1270-6. 2004..We investigated the effect of sacral nerve stimulation on continence and quality of life...
- Anti-TGFbeta1 antibody for modulation of expression of endogenous transforming growth factor beta 1 to prevent fibrosis after plastic surgery in ratsStefan Schultze-Mosgau
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Glueckstrasse 11, Erlangen 91054, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:112-9. 2004..The results indicate that anti-TGFbeta1 might improve the healing of free flaps in the graft beds of patients who are prone to excessive fibrosis...
- Skin strain and its influence on systemic exposure to a glycol ether in offset printing workersG Korinth
Institute and Out Patient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 49:248-54. 2003..We were able to show that by using a multiple spectrum of methods an enhancement of percutaneous absorption of BEE could be demonstrated in workers with skin lesions...
- Gravitaxis and graviperception in flagellatesD P Hader
Institut fur Botanik und Pharmazeutische Biologie der Friedrich Alexander Universitat, Erlangen, Germany
Adv Space Res 31:2181-6. 2003..cAMP plays a role as a secondary messenger. Photosynthetic flagellates are suitable candidates for life support systems since they absorb CO2 and produce oxygen. Preliminary experiments are discussed...
- Health-related quality of life in chronic pancreatitis: a psychometric assessmentM Wehler
Dept of Medicine I, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:1083-9. 2003..Measurement properties of a generic instrument to assess health-related quality of life in patients with chronic pancreatitis have not been described...
- Effect of preparation mode on Class II resin composite repairR Frankenberger
Policlinic for Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
J Oral Rehabil 30:559-64. 2003..This observation was independent from the presence of undercuts (P < 0.05). An intermediary layer of flowable resin composite tended to result in better marginal quality, however, not being statistically significant...
- Radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma with a saline solution perfusion device: a pilot studyJ Hansler
Department of Medicine I, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:575-80. 2003..This study evaluated the treatment of patients with radiofrequency ablation (RFA) with use of needle applicators perfused with isotonic saline solution...
- Spontaneous and radiation-induced apoptosis in colorectal carcinoma cells with different intrinsic radiosensitivities: survivin as a radioresistance factorClaus Rodel
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 55:1341-7. 2003..We investigated the impact of survivin expression on tumor cell apoptosis in three colorectal cell lines of different intrinsic radiosensitivities...
- [Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Training on a bio-simulation model with learning success documented using score-cards]M Neumann
Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Erlangen
Chirurg 74:208-13. 2003..The present study shows that first experiences and measurable improvements can be reliably assessed within one week's structured training on a simulation model...
- 15-Deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J2 inhibits the expression of proinflammatory genes in human blood monocytes via a PPAR-gamma-independent mechanismBurkhard Hinz
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302:415-20. 2003..Moreover, it is concluded that both inhibition of proinflammatory gene expression and restoration of LPS-induced decrease of PPAR-gamma expression may contribute to the biological action of 15d-PGJ(2)...
- Phase inversion harmonic imaging versus contrast-enhanced power Doppler sonography for the characterization of focal liver lesionsDeike Strobel
Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Ultrasound, Department of Medicine I, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Ulmenweg 18, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 18:63-72. 2003..We compared contrast-enhanced power Doppler sonography (CEPD) and phase-inversion harmonic imaging (PIHI) in the assessment of liver lesion vascularity and characterization of focal liver lesions...
- Testing for glaucoma with frequency-doubling perimetry in normals, ocular hypertensives, and glaucoma patientsFolkert K Horn
Department of Ophthalmology and University Eye Hospital, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nürnberg at Erlangen, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:658-65. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic usefulness of the FDT perimeter protocol (C-20-5) in combination with a database system for analysis of single test locations...
- In vivo measurement of near maximal rates of nutrient absorption in a mammalY Winter
Institute of Zoology II, Erlangen University, Germany
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 119:853-9. 1998..Nutrient assimilation capacity could thus not be identified as the single central factor setting the metabolic ceiling...