- Ethics of Coercive Treatment and Misuse of PsychiatryTilman Steinert
Prof Steinert is with the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Ulm University, Ulm, Germany, and the Centers for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg, Ravensburg, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany e mail
Psychiatr Serv . 2016..Involuntary detention without treatment can be justified for short periods for assessment and to offer treatment options...
- [Violence by and against people with mental illnesses]Tilman Steinert
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I, Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Zentren für Psychiatrie Baden Württemberg, Universität Ulm Weissenau, Weingartshofer Straße 2, 88214, Ravensburg, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 59:98-104. 2016..Efforts to reduce violence and coercion in psychiatric facilities by evidence-based interventions are widespread nowadays, treatment guidelines are available. ..
- Participating in mobility: People with schizophrenia driving motorized vehiclesTilman Steinert
Centres for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg Weingartshofer Street 2, 88214 Ravensburg, Weissenau, Germany Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 228:719-23. 2015..04 per each point), number of previous admissions (OR 0.52 per admission), and history of driving under alcohol or drugs (OR 0.18). ..
- [Coercive measures in psychiatric clinics in Germany: current practice (2012)]T Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I der Universität Ulm, Weingartshoferstr 2, 88214, Ravensburg Weissenau, Deutschland
Nervenarzt 85:621-9. 2014..We conducted an online survey on the current practice of coercive measures in German psychiatric hospitals (2012)...
- A bio-psycho-social model of violence related to mental health problemsTilman Steinert
Zentren für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Germany
Int J Law Psychiatry 36:168-75. 2013..Psychiatry is characterised by bio-psycho-social approaches and therapies. Thus there should be an interest in comprehensive theoretical models for didactic purposes...
- [After 200 years of psychiatry: are mechanical restraints in Germany still inevitable?]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Abteilung Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm, Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 38:348-51. 2011..However, an enduring and significant decrease in the frequency and duration of such coercive measures so far has not been achieved by means of quality management. A new set of approaches is therefore required...
- [Epileptic seizures during treatment with antidepressants and neuroleptics]T Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I der Universität Ulm, Germany
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 79:138-43. 2011..Therefore, in clinical practice, taking into account ictogenic properties of substances is required only in patients with a history of seizures...
- [PGI-I (patient's global impression) as an outcome and quality indicator of psychiatric in-patient treatment: results and concordance with doctor's assessments]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung Weissenau, Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 37:343-9. 2010..To examine the Patient Global Impression Scale of Improvement (PGI) as a quality indicator in routine psychiatric in-patient treatment and to determine its concordance with doctors' assessments...
- [Preventive medical checkups and consultations in people with schizophrenia and a comparison group of similar social status]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Abteilung Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I der Universität Ulm, Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 38:87-90. 2011..To examine whether the utilisation of preventive medical checkups and contacts to doctors differs between people with schizophrenia and a comparison group of comparable social status in Germany...
- Long-term effects of involuntary hospitalization on medication adherence, treatment engagement and perception of coercionSusanne Jaeger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy I, Ulm University, Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung, Weingartshofer Straße 2, 88214, Ravensburg, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 48:1787-96. 2013..The purpose of the study was to examine the long-term influence of involuntary hospitalization on medication adherence, engagement in out-patient treatment and perceived coercion to treatment participation...
- Diagnosis-related frequency of compulsory measures in 10 German psychiatric hospitals and correlates with hospital characteristicsTilman Steinert
Centre of Psychiatry Weissenau, University of Ulm, 88214, Ravensburg Weissenau, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:140-5. 2007..To investigate the incidence of coercive measures in standard psychiatric care in different psychiatric hospitals...
- Adherence styles of schizophrenia patients identified by a latent class analysis of the Medication Adherence Rating Scale (MARS): a six-month follow-up studySusanne Jaeger
Ulm University, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy I, Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung Weissenau, Weingartshofer Str 2, D 88214 Ravensburg, Germany
Psychiatry Res 200:83-8. 2012..Patients can be classified into adherence groups that are of predictive value for long-term patient outcome...
- [Subjective patient experience of psychiatric admissions]Raoul Borbé
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Abteilung Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm, Psychiatrische Versorgungsforschung, Weingartshoferstrasse 2, 88214 Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 37:20-6. 2010..Assessment of patients' subjective experiences of an admission to a psychiatric hospital...
- "Coercion Experience Scale" (CES)--validation of a questionnaire on coercive measuresJan Bergk
Center for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg, Ulm University, Ravensburg Weissenau, Germany
BMC Psychiatry 10:5. 2010....
- Rehospitalization risk of former voluntary and involuntary patients with schizophreniaCarmen Pfiffner
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy I, Centres for Psychiatry Südwürttemberg, Ulm University, Weissenau, ZfP Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung, Weingartshofer Str 2, 88214, Ravensburg, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 49:1719-27. 2014..The aim of the study was to examine the differences between former involuntary and voluntary patients with a schizophrenic disorder with regard to time to and frequency of rehospitalization...
- A randomized controlled comparison of seclusion and mechanical restraint in inpatient settingsJan Bergk
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ulm, Ravensburg, Germany
Psychiatr Serv 62:1310-7. 2011..This study compared the restrictiveness of these interventions from patients' point of view...
- [Psychiatric basic documentation in practice: how reliable is the data?]Susanne Jaeger
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung Weissenau
Psychiatr Prax 38:244-9. 2011..To assess the quality of data recorded using a modified version of the German Psychiatric Basic Documentation (BADO) and to use this assessment as the basis for the development of a short version of the BADO...
- Identification of psychopathological course trajectories in schizophreniaMarkus Jager
Ulm University, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy II, BKH Günzburg, Ludwig Heilmeyer Str 2, 89312 Günzburg, Germany Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 215:274-9. 2014..Statistical models such as trajectory analysis could help to identify more homogenous subtypes in schizophrenia. ..
- Seclusion and restraint in patients with schizophrenia: clinical and biographical correlatesTilman Steinert
Department of Psychotherapy, Center for Psychiatry Weissenau, Department of Psychiatry I, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:492-6. 2007..2). We conclude that exposure to traumatic events in the biography severely enhances the risk of revictimization and retraumatization during inpatient treatment...
- Incidence of seclusion and restraint in psychiatric hospitals: a literature review and survey of international trendsTilman Steinert
Centres for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg, Ulm University, Weingartshofer Strasse 2, 88214 Ravensburg Weissenau, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 45:889-97. 2010..The aim of this study was to identify quantitative data on the use of seclusion and restraint in different countries and on initiatives to reduce these interventions...
- [Incidence of coercive measures as an indicator of quality in psychiatric hospitals. Problems of data recording and processing, preliminary results of a benchmarking study]Veronika Martin
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Weissenau, Abt Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Psychiatr Prax 34:26-33. 2007..The clinical practice concerning the use of coercive measures in psychiatry should be compared...
- Patients with a first episode of schizophrenia spectrum psychosis and their pathways to psychiatric hospital care in South GermanyJulia Fuchs
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Weissenau, 2044, 88190, Ravensburg, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:375-80. 2004..This study was designed to examine patients' help-seeking contacts and the delays on their pathways to psychiatric care in Germany...
- Effectiveness of antipsychotic maintenance therapy with quetiapine in comparison with risperidone and olanzapine in routine schizophrenia treatment: results of a prospective observational trialReinhold Kilian
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy II, BKH Günzburg, Ulm University, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 262:589-98. 2012....
- Legal provisions and practice in the management of violent patients. a case vignette study in 16 European countriesTilman Steinert
Centre for Psychiatry Weissenau, Ulm University, Department of Psychiatric Care Research, Weingartshofer Strasse 2, 88214 Ravensburg Weissenau, Germany
Eur Psychiatry 24:135-41. 2009..To compare the clinical management of typical scenarios by using three case vignettes in a substantial number of European countries...
- [CUtLASS 1 - Increasing disillusion about 2nd generation neuroleptics]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie, Die Weissenau, Weingartshoferstr 2, 88214 Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 34:255-7. 2007
- Feasibility of randomized controlled trials on seclusion and mechanical restraintJan Bergk
Department of Psychiatry I, University of Ulm, Weingartshofe str 2, 88214 Ravensburg, Germany
Clin Trials 5:356-63. 2008..The least restrictive alternative is recommended. Evidence about what kind of intervention is least restrictive is only scarcely available. Up to now, no randomized controlled trial (RCT) on this subject has been conducted...
- [Implementing models of cross-sectoral mental health care (integrated health care, regional psychiatry budget) in Germany: systematic literature review]Petra Schmid
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Abteilung Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm
Psychiatr Prax 40:414-24. 2013..The purpose of this overview is to elucidate both the current state of implementation of these models and the results of evaluation research...
- [Wish to change smoking behaviour among staff and patients of a psychiatric hospital]Julia Grempler
Abteilung Versorgungsforschung, Weißenau Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I, Universitat Ulm, Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Weingartshofer Straße 2, Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 39:164-8. 2012..There were no significant differences between patients and staff.Conclusions Psychiatric patients are as motivated as staff for offers about smoking cessation. There is a need for therapeutic offers...
- [A prospective analysis of coercive measures in an inpatient department of child and adolescent psychiatry]Anette E Fetzer
Klinik für Kinder und Jugendpsychiatrie und Psychotherapy, Zentrum für Psychiatrie Weissenau, Ravensburg
Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr 55:754-66. 2006..It can be concluded that a stringent documentation, an evaluation and reflection of coercive measures can help to assume quality in the process of coercive measures...
- The use of mechanical restraint and seclusion in patients with schizophrenia: a comparison of the practice in Germany and SwitzerlandVeronika Martin
Psychiatric Hospital Weissenau, Dept Psychiatry I of the University of Ulm, Ravensburg, Germany
Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 3:1. 2007..The use of coercive measures is an indicator of the quality of psychiatric inpatient treatment. To date, there is no data available to European comparisons on the incidence of such measures...
- Needs-oriented discharge planning and monitoring for high utilisers of psychiatric services (NODPAM): design and methodsBernd Puschner
Department of Psychiatry II, Ulm University, BKH Günzburg, Ludwig Heilmeyer Str 2, 89312 Günzburg, Germany
BMC Health Serv Res 8:152. 2008..Attempts to reduce high utilisation of psychiatric inpatient care by targeting the critical time of hospital discharge have been rare...
- Control beliefs, therapeutic relationship, and adherence in schizophrenia outpatients: a cross-sectional studySusanne Jaeger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy I, Ulm University, ZfP Suedwuerttemberg, Health Services Research Unit, Weissenau, Germany
Am J Health Behav 38:914-23. 2014..To examine the interactions among the different dimensions of the health locus of control (HLC), the patient-doctor relationship and medication adherence in patients with schizophrenia...
- [Evaluation of a model of cross-sectoral mental health care (integrated health): service use and treatment quality]Petra Schmid
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Abteilung Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm
Psychiatr Prax 42:448-54. 2015..To evaluate a model of Integrated Care (IC) at the Centres for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg for all kinds of mental disorders implemented in 2010...
- Compulsory admission and treatment in schizophrenia: a study of ethical attitudes in four European countriesTilman Steinert
Centre for Psychiatry Weissenau, Postfach 2044, 88214, Weissenau, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:635-41. 2005..Further research should provide empirical data and more definite criteria for indications of compulsive measures to achieve a common ethical framework for those critical decisions across Europe...
- [Persistent Perpetrator Contact in a Patient with Dissociative Identity Disorder]Stefan Tschöke
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Ravensburg Weissenau, Abteilung Psychiatrie I der Universität Ulm, Ravensburg
Psychiatr Prax 43:225-7. 2016..Based on the model of trauma-related dissociation we discuss to what extent she was capable of self-determined decision making as well as therapeutic consequences resulting therefrom. ..
- Association Between Restriction of Involuntary Medication and Frequency of Coercive Measures and Violent IncidentsErich Flammer
The authors are with the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy I, Ulm University, and the Centers for Psychiatry Suedwuerttemberg, Ravensburg, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany e mail
Psychiatr Serv 67:1315-1320. 2016..The authors examined whether the number and duration of mechanical coercive measures (seclusion and restraint) and the number and severity of violent incidents changed in this period...
- [Impact of the Temporaneous Lack of Legal Basis for Involuntary Treatment on the Frequency of Aggressive Incidents, Seclusion and Restraint among Patients with Chronic Schizophrenic Disorders]Erich Flammer
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Versorgungsforschung Weissenau
Psychiatr Prax 42:260-6. 2015..We examined whether aggressive incidents and mechanical coercive measures such as seclusion and restraint increased...
- [Long-Term Tendencies in the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Five Psychiatric Hospitals in Germany]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie Südwürttemberg, Klinik Weissenau, Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie I der Universität Ulm
Psychiatr Prax 42:377-83. 2015..To evaluate multiple efforts of the last decade to reduce the use of coercive measures in psychiatric hospitals...
- Similarities and differences in borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia with voice hearingStefan Tschoeke
Center for Psychiatry Südwürttemberg, Ulm University, Ravensburg Weissenau, Germany
J Nerv Ment Dis 202:544-9. 2014..Other symptoms such as delusions, negative symptoms, formal thought disorder, and dissociative psychopathology could help to differentiate between both groups. ..
- [Violent behaviour of patients in institutions]Tilman Steinert
Zentrum für Psychiatrie, Die Weissenau, Ravensburg, Germany
Psychiatr Prax 29:61-7. 2002..Within the last decade, many studies on violence have been published. The results are misinterpreted sometimes...