Genomes and Genes
K J Schmitz
- Intramural carcinoma of the oesophagogastric junctionKlaus Jürgen Schmitz
Pathologisches Institut, Recklinghausen, Recklinghausen, Germany
BMJ Case Rep 2012:. 2012..Intramural carcinomas are a diagnostic challenge for clinicians and pathologist, since preoperative biopsies mostly fail to establish the diagnosis and surgical explorations must be considered...
- Prognostic relevance of autophagy-related markers LC3, p62/sequestosome 1, Beclin-1 and ULK1 in colorectal cancer patients with respect to KRAS mutational statusKlaus Juergen Schmitz
Institute of Pathology, Mühlenstrasse 31, 45659, Recklinghausen, Germany
World J Surg Oncol 14:189. 2016..Here we investigated the potential prognostic value of the autophagy-related proteins Beclin-1, p62, LC3 and uncoordinated (UNC) 51-like kinase 1 (ULK1) in a cohort of colorectal cancer (CRC) specimens...
- Increased expression of α-methylacyl-coenzyme A racemase (AMACR; p504s) and p16 in distal hyperplastic polypsNimet Dayi
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Diagn Pathol 8:178. 2013....
- [Pathological work-up of rectal cancer following partial/total mesorectal excision]K J Schmitz
Institut für Pathologie und Neuropathologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Essen, Deutschland
Pathologe 32:321-9. 2011..In addition, particular issues relating to margins, lymph node dissection and effects of neoadjuvant therapy are discussed...
- [Space-occupying lesion of the ribs]K J Schmitz
Pathologisches Institut Recklinghausen, Mühlenstraße 31, 45659, Recklinghausen, Deutschland
Pathologe 33:350-1. 2012..Further immunohistochemical investigations detected an expression of the melanoma markers S-100 and melan-A. The diagnosis of a metastasis of an amelanotic malignant melanoma could therefore be verified...
- Overexpression of cyclo-oxygenase-2 is an independent predictor of unfavourable outcome in node-negative breast cancer, but is not associated with protein kinase B (Akt) and mitogen-activated protein kinase (ERK1/2, p38) activation or with Her-2/neu signaK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
J Clin Pathol 59:685-91. 2006....
- Cyclo-oxygenase-2 overexpression is a feature of early and well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinoma with a favourable prognosisK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen 45122, Germany
J Clin Pathol 62:690-3. 2009..To determine the prognostic relevance of cyclo-oxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and its relationship to important clinicopathological parameters...
- Activation of extracellular regulated kinases (ERK1/2) but not AKT predicts poor prognosis in colorectal carcinoma and is associated with k-ras mutationsK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital of Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Virchows Arch 450:151-9. 2007..We propose immunohistochemical determination of pERK1/2 status as a promising candidate for the identification of high-risk patients who would benefit from new anticancer drugs targeting the ERK pathway...
- "Preemptive" live donor liver transplantation for fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma: a case reportI Fouzas
Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Transplant Proc 40:3806-7. 2008..Herein we have reported successful "preemptive" living donor liver transplantation for presumed recurrence of FL-HCC after an extended right hepatectomy with resection and synthetic graft replacement of the inferior vena cava...
- AKT and ERK1/2 signaling in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomaK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital of Essen, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 13:6470-7. 2007..Finally, we discuss future upcoming therapeutic options based on targeting these signaling pathways...
- Differential expression of microRNA-675, microRNA-139-3p and microRNA-335 in benign and malignant adrenocortical tumoursK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
J Clin Pathol 64:529-35. 2011..The tremendous potential of microRNAs (miRNAs) as diagnostic biomarkers in surgical pathology has recently been shown in a broad variety of tumours...
- The high risk allele of a six-nucleotide insertion-deletion polymorphism in the CASP8 promoter is associated with favorable outcome in multiple cancersH S Bachmann
University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:11073. 2008..g. breast and colorectal cancer. The deletion variant of this polymorphism disrupts a Sp1 binding site and is associated with decreased mRNA expression in lymphocytes of healthy volunteers...
- [Characterization of the EGF receptor status in penile cancer : retrospective analysis of the course of the disease in 45 patients]C Börgermann
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Essen, Deutschland
Urologe A 48:1483-9. 2009....
- Relationship and prognostic significance of phospho-(serine 166)-murine double minute 2 and Akt activation in node-negative breast cancer with regard to p53 expressionK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:16-23. 2006..However, due to the relatively small number of patients in this cohort, the results obtained need to be confirmed by larger cohorts...
- Wegener's granulomatosis in the thyroid mimicking a tumourK J Schmitz
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Virchows Arch 452:571-4. 2008..We conclude that, although extremely rare, Wegener's. granulomatosis should be added to the list of differential diagnoses of tumours of the thyroid gland...