- The mechanisms of action of St. John's wort: an updateMathias Schmidt
Herbresearch Germany, Wartbergweg 15, 86874, Tussenhausen, Germany
Wien Med Wochenschr 165:229-35. 2015..The overall effect cannot be attributed to a single constituent or fraction. SJW is therefore an outstanding example of the total extract being defined as the active constituent of herbal medicines. ..
- Suitability of ivy extract for the treatment of paediatric coughM Schmidt
Herbresearch Germany, Wartbergweg 15, D 86874 Mattsies, Germany
Phytother Res 26:1942-7. 2012..Five adverse events classified as mild and non-serious were reported (1.9%). In conclusion, ivy leaf extract in the form of syrup and of cough drops was confirmed as an effective and safe treatment of cough in children...
- Saffron in phytotherapy: pharmacology and clinical usesMathias Schmidt
Herbresearch Germany, Tussenhausen, Germany
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:315-9. 2007..Antidepressant effects were found in vivo and in clinical pilot studies. Saffron extracts thus have the potential to make a major contribution to rational phytotherapy...
- St. John's wort: role of active compounds for its mechanism of action and efficacyVeronika Butterweck
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:356-61. 2007..Although there are some open questions, the bulk of data suggests that several groups of active compounds are contributing to the antidepressant efficacy of the plant extract...
- Willow bark extract: the contribution of polyphenols to the overall effectAdolf Nahrstedt
Institut für Pharmazeutische Biologie und Phytochemie, Universitat Munster, Germany
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:348-51. 2007..All in vivo and in vitro models studied pointed to relevant contributions of the fraction of polyphenols and flavonoids. The single compounds or their combinations responsible for the effect remain to be elucidated...
- Mitotic drug targets and the development of novel anti-mitotic anticancer drugsMathias Schmidt
ALTANA Pharma AG, Therapeutic Area Oncology, Byk Gulden Strasse 2, Konstanz, Germany
Drug Resist Updat 10:162-81. 2007..It is expected that this "next generation" of anti-mitotic drugs will be as successful as the classical anti-microtubule drugs, while avoiding some of the adverse side effects...
- Molecular alterations after Polo-like kinase 1 mRNA suppression versus pharmacologic inhibition in cancer cellsMathias Schmidt
Therapeutic Area Oncology, ALTANA Pharma AG, Byk Gulden Str 2, D 78467 Konstanz, Germany
Mol Cancer Ther 5:809-17. 2006..It was found that the differential electrophoretic mobility of cdc25c can serve as a reliable molecular marker to track inhibition of Plk1 by small-molecule inhibitors within a cell...
- Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiatedMichael Thomsen
J Altern Complement Med 9:337-40. 2003
- Are kavalactones the hepatotoxic principle of kava extracts? The pitfalls of the glutathione theoryMathias Schmidt
J Altern Complement Med 9:183-7; author reply 187-8. 2003
- HER2/PI-3K/Akt activation leads to a multidrug resistance in human breast adenocarcinoma cellsChristiane Knuefermann
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 USA
Oncogene 22:3205-12. 2003....
- EGF receptor targeting in therapy-resistant human tumorsMathias Schmidt
Byk Gulden, Lomberg Chemische Fabrik GmbH, Byk Gulden Strasse 2, Konstanz, Germany
Drug Resist Updat 5:11-8. 2002..In human breast carcinomas, the presence of EGFR correlates with lack of response towards anti-estrogen therapy suggesting the concomitant inhibition of both the receptors for estrogen and EGF to improve breast cancer therapy...
- 2-aroylindoles, a novel class of potent, orally active small molecule tubulin inhibitorsThomas Beckers
ASTA Medica Oncology, D 60314 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Cancer Res 62:3113-9. 2002..4 days at 400 mg/kg. Therefore, D-64131 and analogues have the potential to be developed for cancer therapy, replacing or supplementing standard therapy regimens with tubulin-targeting drugs from natural sources...
- Replacement of N-terminal portions of TGF-alpha with corresponding heregulin sequences affects ligand-induced receptor signaling and intoxication of tumor cells by chimeric growth-factor toxinsMathias Schmidt
Chemotherapeutisches Forschungsinstitut Georg Speyer Haus, Paul Ehrlich Strasse 42 44, D 60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Int J Cancer 97:349-56. 2002....