- Targeting hyperactivation of the AKT survival pathway to overcome therapy resistance of melanoma brain metastasesHeike Niessner
Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen Germany
Cancer Med 2:76-85. 2013..Thus, inhibition of PI3K-AKT signaling shows potential for enhancing and/or prolonging the antitumor effect of BRAF inhibitors or other anticancer agents in melanoma brain metastases...
- The RAS/RAF/MEK/ERK and PI3K/AKT signaling pathways present molecular targets for the effective treatment of advanced melanomaFriedegund Meier
Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Front Biosci 10:2986-3001. 2005..The results of the research to date indicate that in melanoma both the MAPK and the AKT signaling pathways may represent promising therapeutic targets...
- [An unusual case of pyoderma gangrenosum with necrotizing granulomatous dermatitis]Friedegund Meier
Abteilung für Dermatologie, Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Deutschland
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 1:302-5. 2003....
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 but not Mel-CAM and/or beta3 integrin promotes progression of melanocytes to melanomaFriedegund Meier
Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Exp Dermatol 12:296-306. 2003..The described results of the current and previous studies emphasise the key role of FGF-2 in melanoma development and progression, underscoring the promise of FGF-2 as a target for therapy...
- The adhesion molecule L1 (CD171) promotes melanoma progressionFriedegund Meier
Department of Dermatology, Section of Dermatologic Oncology, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, and Tumor Immunology Programme, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 119:549-55. 2006..Altogether, L1 plays a critical role in melanoma invasion and progression and offers therapeutic potential in combination with conventional anticancer agents...
- Combined targeting of MAPK and AKT signalling pathways is a promising strategy for melanoma treatmentF Meier
Division of Dermatological Oncology, Department of Dermatology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 156:1204-13. 2007..Among them, the RAS/RAF/MEK/ERK (MAPK) and PI3K/AKT (AKT) signalling pathways are activated through multiple mechanisms and appear to play a major role in melanoma development and progression...
- Significant response after treatment with the mTOR inhibitor sirolimus in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in metastatic melanoma patientsFriedegund Meier
Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Liebermeisterstr 25, Tubingen D 72076, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 60:863-8. 2009..Our case report, together with the literature discussed, suggests that mTOR inhibition possibly enhances the sensitivity of melanoma cells to chemotherapy and should prompt in-depth and clinical investigation...
- Metastatic pathways and time courses in the orderly progression of cutaneous melanomaF Meier
Department of Dermatology, Eberhard Karls University, Liebermeisterstr 25, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 147:62-70. 2002..However, few reports in the literature give detailed figures on different metastatic pathways in cutaneous melanoma...
- [Coccidioidomycosis. Two case reports with discussion of current diagnostic and therapeutic issues]F Meier
Universitäts Hautklinik der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Hautarzt 55:1143-9. 2004..Since relapses are frequent after discontinuation of the treatment, close clinical, serological and radiological follow-up is required for years...
- Combined inhibition of MAPK and mTOR signaling inhibits growth, induces cell death and abrogates invasive growth of melanoma cellsF Meier
University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:20033. 2008..Similarly, the selective mTOR inhibitor CCI-779 has been proved ineffective. Recent experimental data suggest that in melanoma an effective treatment strategy must take into account more than one deregulated signaling pathway...
- Serum markers lactate dehydrogenase and S100B predict independently disease outcome in melanoma patients with distant metastasisB Weide
Department of Dermatology, Center for Dermatooncology, University Medical Center, Liebermeisterstrasse 25, Tubingen 72076, Germany
Br J Cancer 107:422-8. 2012..Established prognostic factors are of limited value to predict long-term survival and benefit from metastasectomy in advanced melanoma. This study aimed to identify prognostic factors in patients with distant metastasis...
- Dermcidin: a novel human antibiotic peptide secreted by sweat glandsB Schittek
Department of Dermatology, Eberhard Karls University Tubingen, Germany
Nat Immunol 2:1133-7. 2001..This peptide may help limit infection by potential pathogens in the first few hours following bacterial colonization...
- Determinants of survival in patients with brain metastases from cutaneous melanomaM Staudt
Department of Dermatology, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Br J Cancer 102:1213-8. 2010..This retrospective study aimed to identify prognostic factors in patients with brain metastases from cutaneous melanoma...
- [Targeted therapies for melanoma]U Leiter
Zentrum für Dermato Onkologie, Universitäts Hautklinik, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Liebermeisterstr 25, 72076, Tubingen, Deutschland
Hautarzt 65:600-6. 2014..Due to selective kinase inhibitors and immune checkpoint blockade, the therapy of unresectable metastatic melanoma has greatly improved and long-term survival of patients with metastatic melanoma seems a real possibility...
- Melanoma development and progression: a conspiracy between tumor and hostMei Yu Hsu
The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Differentiation 70:522-36. 2002..Defining intercellular molecular dialogues in human skin promises to provide key information for the development of novel treatment strategies that target the functional unit of stroma and tumor...
- Prospective evaluation of a follow-up schedule in cutaneous melanoma patients: recommendations for an effective follow-up strategyClaus Garbe
Department of Dermatology, Skin Cancer Program, Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 21:520-9. 2003..To prospectively examine and evaluate the results of follow-up procedures in a large cohort of cutaneous melanoma patients...
- Age and gender are significant independent predictors of survival in primary cutaneous melanomaKonstantinos Lasithiotakis
Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Central Malignant Melanoma Registry of the German Dermatological Society, Tuebingen, Germany
Cancer 112:1795-804. 2008..The aim was to identify age- related and gender-related differences in the clinical presentation and outcome of patients with primary cutaneous melanoma (CM)...
- Diagnostic value and prognostic significance of protein S-100beta, melanoma-inhibitory activity, and tyrosinase/MART-1 reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction in the follow-up of high-risk melanoma patientsClaus Garbe
Department of Dermatology, Skin Cancer Program, Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Cancer 97:1737-45. 2003....
- The increased expression of Y box-binding protein 1 in melanoma stimulates proliferation and tumor invasion, antagonizes apoptosis and enhances chemoresistanceBirgit Schittek
Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Department of Dermatology, University of Tubingen, Liebermeisterstrasse 25, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Int J Cancer 120:2110-8. 2007..Thus, YB-1 may be a promising molecular target in melanoma therapy...
- Improvement of overall survival of patients with cutaneous melanoma in Germany, 1976-2001: which factors contributed?Konstantinos G Lasithiotakis
Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Department of Dermatology, Central Malignant Melanoma Registry of the German Dermatological Society, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Cancer 109:1174-82. 2007..A hypothesis generated a retrospective analysis of the improvement of survival over time in patients with cutaneous melanoma (CM) in order to identify factors contributing to this progress...
- Reciprocal regulation of MelCAM and AKT in human melanomaGang Li
The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Oncogene 22:6891-9. 2003..These data link AKT activation with MelCAM expression, and implicate that intervention of MelCAM-AKT signaling axis in melanoma is a potential therapeutical approach...
- Truncation of activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule: a gateway to melanoma metastasisLeon C L T van Kempen
Department of Biochemistry NCMLS, University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Invest Dermatol 122:1293-301. 2004..ALCAM induction could, thus, provide an attractive target for proteolysis as a part of a more complex cellular program that couples growth and migration and facilitates dissemination...
- The natural course of cutaneous melanomaUlrike Leiter
Department of Dermatology, Division of Dermatologic Oncology, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
J Surg Oncol 86:172-8. 2004....
- The RacGEF Tiam1 inhibits migration and invasion of metastatic melanoma via a novel adhesive mechanismKatharina Uhlenbrock
Department of Structural Biology, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Otto Hahn Strasse 11, 44227 Dortmund, Germany
J Cell Sci 117:4863-71. 2004..The reverse transition from mesenchymal invasive to a resident epithelial-like phenotype implicates a role for Tiam1/Rac signaling in the control of cell-cell contacts through a novel ALCAM-mediated mechanism...
- Function and regulation of melanoma-stromal fibroblast interactions: when seeds meet soilGang Li
The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Oncogene 22:3162-71. 2003..An understanding of this process and developing new experimental and screening models are of great importance for the development of effective therapeutical strategies to treat melanoma...