- Gross-total resection of malignant gliomas in elderly patients: implications in survivalR Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Fulda, Fulda, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 68:176-81. 2007..Thus, the balance of benefit versus adverse response of standard glioma therapy remains controversial. We hypothesized that older patients with malignant gliomas might also take advantage of extensive surgical procedures...
- Cytogenetic and molecular genetic analyses of giant cell glioblastoma multiforme reveal distinct profiles in giant cell and non-giant cell subpopulationsRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 175:26-34. 2007..Furthermore, the data point to differences in the profile of chromosomal and microsatellite instability in gcGBM and classic GBM that might underscore the distinct pathological features of both tumor subtypes...
- Comparative genetic analysis of metachronous anaplastic oligoastrocytomas with extended recurrence-free intervalRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, D 01307, Dresden, Germany
J Neurooncol 72:95-102. 2005..Whether the paucity of accumulation of the observed genetic alterations might be associated with the unusually extended relapse-free time of the patient remains to be elucidated...
- Molecular mechanisms associated with chromosomal and microsatellite instability in sporadic glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Pathology of the University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Oncology 66:395-403. 2004..We aimed to perform a comprehensive analysis of the relationship between CIN and MSI mechanisms in sporadic glioblastomas...
- A microarray-based DNA methylation study of glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Goettingen, Goettingen WT 084071, Germany
Epigenetics 4:255-64. 2009..Furthermore, we identified that promoter hypermethylation of the transcription factor gene GATA6 (occurring in 30% of GBM) was significantly associated with unfavorable patient survival...
- CpG island promoter hypermethylation of the pro-apoptotic gene caspase-8 is a common hallmark of relapsed glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
Carcinogenesis 28:1264-8. 2007..These remarkable findings may foster the development of therapeutic approaches using DNA demethylating drugs and activators of the extrinsic apoptotic pathway to improve the dismal prognosis of GBM...
- Independent molecular development of metachronous glioblastomas with extended intervening recurrence-free intervalRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Germany
Brain Pathol 13:598-607. 2003..Whether the molecular features of the first glioblastoma are associated with the notably extended recurrence-free period of 5 years remains to be elucidated...
- DNA methylation alterations in grade II- and anaplastic pleomorphic xanthoastrocytomaRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Goettingen, Robert Koch, Str, 40, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
BMC Cancer 14:213. 2014..Pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma (PXA) is a rare WHO grade II tumor accounting for less than 1% of all astrocytomas. Malignant transformation into PXA with anaplastic features, is unusual and correlates with poorer outcome of the patients...
- The DNA methylome of glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Goettingen, Germany
Neurobiol Dis 39:40-6. 2010..We discuss the magnitude of epigenetic alterations in the pathogenesis of GBM and their translational relevance to patient survival...
- Different molecular patterns in glioblastoma multiforme subtypes upon recurrenceRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
J Neurooncol 96:321-9. 2010..Taken together, our results strongly suggest that recurrences of GBM may display two distinct pattern of accumulation of molecular alterations depending on the profile of the original tumor...
- Microsatellite instability and loss of heterozygosity in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckSusanne Koy
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Head Neck 30:1105-13. 2008..The aim of our study was to disclose the frequency and basis of MSI in HNSCC and to correlate MSI and findings on loss of heterozygosity (LOH) with the clinical data...
- Epigenetic aberrations in malignant gliomas: an open door leading to better understanding and treatmentRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Epigenetics 2:147-50. 2007....
- Hypermethylation of the proapoptotic gene TMS1/ASC: prognostic importance in glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, D 01307, Dresden, and Klinikum Fulda, Academic Hospital Philipps University Marburg, Fulda, Germany
J Neurooncol 82:133-9. 2007..Our results strongly suggest that, compared to classic GBM, LTS GBM display distinct epigenetic characteristics which might provide additional prognostic biomarkers for the assessment of this malignancy...
- Unskilled unawareness and the learning curve in robotic spine surgeryBawarjan Schatlo
Department of Neurosurgery, University Medicine Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 157:1819-23; discussion 1823. 2015..The aim of the present retrospective study is to assess whether experience and time affect the accuracy of screws placed with the help of the SpineAssist™ robot system...
- Analysis of the expression of Kv10.1 potassium channel in patients with brain metastases and glioblastoma multiforme: impact on survivalRamon Martinez
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Goettingen, Robert Koch Str 40, Goettingen, 37075, Germany
BMC Cancer 15:839. 2015..Kv10.1, a voltage-gated potassium channel only detected in the healthy brain, was found to be aberrantly expressed in extracerebral cancers. Investigations of Kv10.1 in brain metastasis and glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) are lacking...
- Necrotizing infundibulo-hypophysitis: an entity too rare to be true?Angelika Gutenberg
Department of Neurosurgery, University Medical Center, Georg August University, 37099, Gottingen, Germany
Pituitary 15:202-8. 2012..The possible pathogenesis of this rare variant of hypophysitis is discussed...
- Perioperative course and accuracy of screw positioning in conventional, open robotic-guided and percutaneous robotic-guided, pedicle screw placementSven Rainer Kantelhardt
Department of Neurosurgery, Georg August University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Eur Spine J 20:860-8. 2011..The use of robotic guidance significantly increased accuracy of screw positioning while reducing the X-ray exposure. Patients seem to have a better perioperative course following percutaneous procedures...
- Frequent hypermethylation of the DNA repair gene MGMT in long-term survivors of glioblastoma multiformeRamon Martinez
J Neurooncol 83:91-3. 2007..The methylation rate in LTS GBM was significantly higher (77.8% vs. 39.2%, P = 0.033) which suggests that MGMT hypermethylation is a frequent hallmark of LTS GBM and contributes to characterize this intriguing GBM subtype...