Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Martin Luther University
- The function of plakophilin 1 in desmosome assembly and actin filament organizationM Hatzfeld
Molecular Biology Group of the Medical Faculty, University of Halle, 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
J Cell Biol 149:209-22. 2000....
- The p120 family of cell adhesion moleculesMechthild Hatzfeld
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Halle, Hollystrasse 1, D 06097 Halle, Germany
Eur J Cell Biol 84:205-14. 2005..Thus, p120 proteins may not only be master regulators of cadherin abundance and activity but play additional roles in regulating cell polarity. This review focuses on the putative roles of p120 proteins in cell polarity...
- Targeting of p0071 to desmosomes and adherens junctions is mediated by different protein domainsMechthild Hatzfeld
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, Medical Faculty of the University of Halle, 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
J Cell Sci 116:1219-33. 2003..Our data suggest that, in addition to plakoglobin, p0071 is the second armadillo protein present in both types of adhesive junctions and may play a role in regulating crosstalk between adherens junctions and desmosomes...
- Plakophilins: Multifunctional proteins or just regulators of desmosomal adhesion?Mechthild Hatzfeld
Institute of Pathophysiology, Division of Pathobiochemistry, University of Halle, Hollystrasse 1, 06097 Halle, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1773:69-77. 2007..This review aims to summarize the current knowledge of plakophilin function in the context of cell adhesion, signaling and their putative role in diseases...
- Beyond regulation of cell adhesion: local control of RhoA at the cleavage furrow by the p0071 cateninRene Keil
Institute for Pathophysiology, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle, Halle, Germany
Cell Cycle 6:122-7. 2007....
- Targeting of p0071 to the midbody depends on KIF3Rene Keil
Institute for Pathophysiology, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle, 06114 Halle, Germany
J Cell Sci 122:1174-83. 2009..These data indicate that p0071 and Ect2 are transported via distinct motors and identify a novel pathway implicating KIF3 in the regulation of actin organization during cytokinesis...
- Insulin signaling via Akt2 switches plakophilin 1 function from stabilizing cell adhesion to promoting cell proliferationAnnika Wolf
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06114 Halle, Germany
J Cell Sci 126:1832-44. 2013..This supports the view that the deregulation of plakophilin 1, as observed in several tumors, directly contributes to hyperproliferation and carcinogenesis in a context-dependent manner...
- Plakophilin 1 stimulates translation by promoting eIF4A1 activityAnnika Wolf
Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, 06097 Halle, Germany
J Cell Biol 188:463-71. 2010..In conclusion, these findings identify PKP1 as a regulator of translation and proliferation via modulation of eIF4A1 activity and suggest that PKP1 controls cell growth in physiological and pathological conditions...
- A role of plakophilins in the regulation of translationAnnika Wolf
Institute for Pathophysiology, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Cell Cycle 9:2973-8. 2010..Elucidating the regulation of plakophilin's function in adhesion versus translation will help to understand this context-dependent phenomenon...
- p0071/PKP4, a multifunctional protein coordinating cell adhesion with cytoskeletal organizationRene Keil
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, D 06114 Halle, Germany
Biol Chem 394:1005-17. 2013..Moreover, an initial analysis of its regulation begins to shed light on how these functions are coordinated in a cellular context...
- The armadillo protein p0071 is involved in Rab11-dependent recyclingRene Keil
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle, Hollystrasse 1, 06114 Halle, Germany
J Cell Sci 127:60-71. 2014....
- Plakophilins in desmosomal adhesion and signalingMechthild Hatzfeld
Division of Pathobiochemistry, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Cell Commun Adhes 21:25-42. 2014..Now, recent evidence sheds light on the post-translational regulation and provides an explanation for how de-regulation of plakophilins can contribute to cancer...
- A nuclear function for plakophilin-1 in the DNA damage response?Mechthild Hatzfeld
Division of Pathobiochemistry, University of Halle, Halle, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 130:2538-40. 2010..In this issue, Sobolik-Delmaire et al. address the nuclear function of Plakophilin-1. The authors show that Plakophilin-1 interacts with ssDNA in vitro and may have a function in protecting cells from DNA damage...
- The armadillo protein p0071 regulates Rho signalling during cytokinesisAnnika Wolf
Institute for Pathophysiology, Division of Pathobiochemistry, Martin Luther University Halle, Hollystrasse 1, 06114 Halle, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 8:1432-40. 2006..These findings support an essential role for p0071 in spatially regulating restricted Rho signalling during cytokinesis...
- Affilin molecules selected against the human papillomavirus E7 protein inhibit the proliferation of target cellsEwa A Mirecka
Institute of Biochemistry Biotechnology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
J Mol Biol 390:710-21. 2009....
- Interaction between Erbin and a Catenin-related protein in epithelial cellsFanny Jaulin-Bastard
U119 INSERM, Molecular Oncology, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Molecular Pharmacology, 27 boulevard Lei Roure 13009 Marseille, France
J Biol Chem 277:2869-75. 2002..We propose that Erbin is connected by p0071 to cytoskeletal networks in an interaction crucial for epithelial homeostasis...
- Protein binding and functional characterization of plakophilin 2. Evidence for its diverse roles in desmosomes and beta -catenin signalingXinyu Chen
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10512-22. 2002....
- The Armadillo family protein p0071 is a VE-cadherin- and desmoplakin-binding proteinCatharine C Calkins
Department of Dermatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 278:1774-83. 2003....
- Defining desmosomal plakophilin-3 interactionsStefan Bonne
Molecular Cell Biology Unit, Department for Molecular Biomedical Research, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Cell Biol 161:403-16. 2003....
- A novel cell-cell junction system: the cortex adhaerens mosaic of lens fiber cellsBeate K Straub
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Sci 116:4985-95. 2003..We here discuss its possible functional importance for the maintenance of lens structure and functions, notably clear and sharp vision...
- The mitotic-spindle-associated protein astrin is essential for progression through mitosisJens Gruber
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Department of Biochemistry, Am Fassberg 11 37070 Göttingen, Germany
J Cell Sci 115:4053-9. 2002..Cells depleted of astrin were normal during interphase but were unable to progress through mitosis and finally ended in apoptotic cell death. Possible functions of astrin in mitotic spindle organization are discussed...
- Emerging functions: diseases and animal models reshape our view of the cytoskeletonThomas M Magin
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Abteilung für Zellbiochemie and LIMES, Universitatsklinikum Bonn, D 53115 Bonn, Germany
Exp Cell Res 301:91-102. 2004..Understanding how mutation-induced disruption of the cytoskeleton and its upstream regulators causes disease at the molecular level presents one of the major challenges in future research...
- ZBP1 regulates mRNA stability during cellular stressNadine Stöhr
NBL3 Research Group, Zentrum für Angewandte Medizinische und Humanbiologische Forschung, Department of Medicine, Martin Luther University, 06120 Halle, Germany
J Cell Biol 175:527-34. 2006..These retain mRNAs in SGs and prevent premature decay in PBs. Hence, mRNA-binding proteins are essential for translational adaptation during cellular stress by modulating mRNA turnover...