Affiliation: Klinikum rechts der Isar
- Distraction modulates connectivity of the cingulo-frontal cortex and the midbrain during pain--an fMRI analysisMichael Valet
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Möhlstrabetae 28, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Pain 109:399-408. 2004..According to our results, the cingulo-frontal cortex may exert top-down influences on the PAG and posterior thalamus to gate pain modulation during distraction...
- Cerebral processing of histamine-induced itch using short-term alternating temperature modulation--an FMRI studyMichael Valet
Department of Neurology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 128:426-33. 2008..The evoked itch sensation above scratch threshold is processed by a network of brain regions contributing to the encoding of sensory, emotional, attention-dependent, cognitive-evaluative and motivational aspects of itch...
- Neurometabolic correlates of depression and disability in episodic cluster headacheChristian L Seifert
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munchen, Germany
J Neurol 258:123-31. 2011..Our data underline the association between severe episodic pain, depression and disability. In addition to this clinical observation, our results stress the importance of the insula and amygdala in pain processing and suffering...
- The runner's high: opioidergic mechanisms in the human brainHenning Boecker
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Cereb Cortex 18:2523-31. 2008..These findings support the "opioid theory" of the runner's high and suggest region-specific effects in frontolimbic brain areas that are involved in the processing of affective states and mood...
- Opioidergic activation in the medial pain system after heat painTill Sprenger
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Germany
Pain 122:63-7. 2006..The finding of altered opioidergic receptor availability in the rostral ACC after experimental nociceptive pain is novel and provides direct evidence for the involvement of this region in endogenous opioidergic inhibition of pain...
- Pain sensitisers exhibit grey matter changes after repetitive pain exposure: a longitudinal voxel-based morphometry studyAnne Stankewitz
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Pain 154:1732-7. 2013....
- Repeated pain induces adaptations of intrinsic brain activity to reflect past and predict future painValentin Riedl
Department of Neurology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Munich, Germany
Neuroimage 57:206-13. 2011..Other ICNs of the intrinsic architecture remained unchanged. Due to the ubiquitous occurrence of ICNs in several species, we suggest intrinsic brain activity as an integrative mechanism reflecting accumulated experiences...
- Imaging human cerebral pain modulation by dose-dependent opioid analgesia: a positron emission tomography activation study using remifentanilKlaus J Wagner
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie, Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Germany
Anesthesiology 106:548-56. 2007....
- Patients with pain disorder show gray-matter loss in pain-processing structures: a voxel-based morphometric studyMichael Valet
Neurologische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Psychosom Med 71:49-56. 2009..Psychological factors are thought to play a major role. Recent neuroimaging studies evidenced altered pain processing in patients suffering from this disorder...
- Pruritus and atopic dermatitisUlf Darsow
Department of Dermatology and Allergy Biederstein, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 41:237-44. 2011..In the concept of patient management, the therapy of clinical pruritus has to consider origin and perception of itch, namely the skin and the central nervous system, by combining topical and systemic treatment...
- Metabolic alterations associated with impaired clock drawing in Lewy body dementiaRobert Perneczky
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Technische Ismaninger Str 22, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Psychiatry Res 181:85-9. 2010..These findings also suggest that the CDT is an appropriate screening instrument for this disorder and that metabolic dysfunction, and therefore disease severity, is mirrored by performance on the test...
- Positron emission tomography ligand activation studies in the sports sciences: measuring neurochemistry in vivoHenning Boecker
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Methods 45:307-18. 2008..Understanding the basic principles of exercise-induced transmitter release in the brain will potentially aid clinical applications of endurance training, both as a preventative or therapeutic intervention...
- Recent progress in unraveling central nervous system processing of itch sensationFlorian Pfab
From the Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technische Universität München Division of Environmental Dermatology and Allergy, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen TUM, ZAUM Center for Allergy and Environment and Department of Neurology, Klinikum r d Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
World Allergy Organ J 1:168-73. 2008....
- Imaging pain modulation by subanesthetic S-(+)-ketamineTill Sprenger
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Anesth Analg 103:729-37. 2006..This part of the anterior cingulate cortex (midcingulate cortex) has been linked with the affective pain component that underlines the potency of ketamine in modulating affective pain processing...
- Striatal gray matter loss in Huntington's disease is leftward biasedMark Mühlau
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Mov Disord 22:1169-73. 2007..Further analyses showed no indication of asymmetry in presymptomatic HD patients but an increase in asymmetry in the course of the HD stages under examination. Our study demonstrates and discusses leftward-biased gray matter loss in HD...
- Short-term alternating temperature enhances histamine-induced itch: a biphasic stimulus modelFlorian Pfab
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 126:2673-8. 2006....
- SUNCT: bilateral hypothalamic activation during headache attacks and resolving of symptoms after trigeminal decompressionTill Sprenger
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Moehlstr 28, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Pain 113:422-6. 2005..We hypothesize that in this case with a central predisposition for trigeminal autonomic cephalgias, a peripheral trigger with ectopic excitation might have contributed to the clinical picture of SUNCT...
- Quantification of [18F]diprenorphine kinetics in the human brain with compartmental and non-compartmental modeling approachesMary E Spilker
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Neuroimage 22:1523-33. 2004..BP values were also found to correlate with DV values; however, these results should be interpreted with the understanding that specific binding in the reference region (occipital region) may exist...
- Interaction of hyperalgesia and sensory loss in complex regional pain syndrome type I (CRPS I)Volker Huge
Department of Anaesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e2742. 2008..In order to characterise these changes in patients suffering from acute or chronic CRPS I, we used Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST) in comparison to an age and gender matched control group...