Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Schistosomiasis of the female genital tract: public health aspectsG Poggensee
Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Spandauer Damm 130, 14050 Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Today 15:378-81. 1999..This has been acknowledged by the WHO and, in 1997, the Gender Task Force of the WHO's Tropical Disease Research Programme (TDR) included FGS in a list of scientific areas that deserve high research priority...
- Female genital schistosomiasis of the lower genital tract: prevalence and disease-associated morbidity in northern TanzaniaG Poggensee
Institut für Tropenmedizin and Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, 14050 Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 181:1210-3. 2000....
- Screening of Tanzanian women of childbearing age for urinary schistosomiasis: validity of urine reagent strip readings and self-reported symptomsG Poggensee
Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 78:542-8. 2000..This is of concern because genital schistosomiasis, a possible risk factor for the transmission of HIV, occurs among women even with light infections...
- Female genital schistosomiasis: facts and hypothesesG Poggensee
Institute of Tropical Medicine and Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Acta Trop 79:193-210. 2001..Possible interactions and their consequences are discussed and research areas which should be addressed are outlined...
- Diagnosis of genital cervical schistosomiasis: comparison of cytological, histopathological and parasitological examinationG Poggensee
Institute of Tropical Medicine Berlin and Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:233-6. 2001..We conclude that the QCBT is the diagnostic test of choice for schistosomiasis of the genital cervix...
- Seroepidemiology of TT virus, GBC-C/HGV, and hepatitis viruses B, C, and E among women in a rural area of TanzaniaK Stark
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Med Virol 62:524-30. 2000..A history of injections of contraceptive hormones was an independent risk factor for HCV infection. The findings on TTV are consistent with fecal-oral transmission, and recurrent infections may occur in adults...
- Mother-to-child transmission of HIV and its prevention: awareness and knowledge in Uganda and TanzaniaG Harms
Institute of Tropical Medicine, the Charité University Medicine Berlin
SAHARA J 2:258-66. 2005..If prevention of MTCT (PMTCT) interventions are to be accepted by the population and promoted by health personnel, thorough orientation and training are mandatory...
- Impact of transmission of drug-resistant HIV on the course of infection and the treatment success. Data from the German HIV-1 Seroconverter StudyG Poggensee
Robert Koch Institute, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Berlin, Germany
HIV Med 8:511-9. 2007..Data on the clinical course of infection in patients with transmitted drug-resistant HIV before and after initiation of treatment are scarce...
- A functional toll-like receptor 8 variant is associated with HIV disease restrictionD Y Oh
Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 198:701-9. 2008..Presently, very little is known about the influence of TLR8 genetic variation on susceptibility to and progression of HIV disease...