Hans Jörg Epple
Affiliation: Humboldt University
- HIV infection and the intestinal mucosal barrierHans Jörg Epple
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1258:19-24. 2012..After prolonged viral suppression by antiretroviral therapy, there is, at least partial, restoration of the HIV-associated intestinal mucosal barrier defect despite persisting alterations of the mucosal immune system...
- Acute HIV infection induces mucosal infiltration with CD4+ and CD8+ T cells, epithelial apoptosis, and a mucosal barrier defectHans Jörg Epple
Medical Clinic I, Gastroenterology, Rheumatology, Infectiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, Berlin, Germany
Gastroenterology 139:1289-300. 2010..We analyzed T-cell subsets, epithelial apoptosis, and barrier function of the duodenal mucosa in patients with acute HIV infection...
- Therapy- and non-therapy-dependent infectious complications in inflammatory bowel diseaseHans Jörg Epple
Medical Clinic I, Gastroenterology, Rheumatology, Infectiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Dig Dis 27:555-9. 2009..Patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are susceptible to infections...
- Mucosal but not peripheral FOXP3+ regulatory T cells are highly increased in untreated HIV infection and normalize after suppressive HAARTHans Jörg Epple
Medical Clinic I, Gastroenterology, Rheumatology, Infectiology Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Blood 108:3072-8. 2006..Their role may be 2-edged: attenuating HIV-induced immune hyperactivation while suppressing the immune response to HIV and mucosal pathogens...
- [Infectious enteritis]H J Epple
Medizinische Klinik für Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie, Rheumatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 52:1038, 1040-4, 1046. 2011....
- Effect of age on the CD4⁺ T-cell impairment in HIV-infected persons without and with cARTKristina Allers
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases, and Rheumatology, Medical Clinic I, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany and Ärzteforum Seestraβe, Berlin, Germany Heiko Karcher is now with Ärzteforum Praxis City Ost, Berlin, Germany Desiree Kunkel is now with Berlin Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 66:7-15. 2014..Knowledge about HIV infection in older persons is becoming increasingly important. CD4⁺ T cells are essential for protective immunity, but little is known about the effect of age on the CD4⁺ T-cell impairment in HIV infection...
- Aerolysin from Aeromonas hydrophila perturbs tight junction integrity and cell lesion repair in intestinal epithelial HT-29/B6 cellsRoland Bücker
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases, and Rheumotology, Charite Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 204:1283-92. 2011..Pathogenesis of Aeromonas hydrophila and its hemolysin has been characterized, but the mechanism of the epithelial barrier dysfunction is currently poorly understood...
- Gut mucosal FOXP3+ regulatory CD4+ T cells and Nonregulatory CD4+ T cells are differentially affected by simian immunodeficiency virus infection in rhesus macaquesKristina Allers
Medical Clinic I Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203 Berlin, Germany
J Virol 84:3259-69. 2010..Although SIV production is limited in mucosal T(reg), T(reg) accumulation may indirectly contribute to viral persistence by suppressing antiviral immune responses...
- Macrophages accumulate in the gut mucosa of untreated HIV-infected patientsKristina Allers
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases, and Rheumatology, Medical Clinic I, Campus Benjamin Franklin
J Infect Dis 209:739-48. 2014..Although an intestinal barrier defect and microbial translocation are hallmarks of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, recent data on gut mucosal macrophages in HIV infection are sparse...
- Cytokine expression in the colonic mucosa of human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals before and during 9 months of antiretroviral therapyHubert Schulbin
Medizinische Klinik I, Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3377-84. 2008..Despite reductions in levels of mucosal HIV RNA and the restoration of mucosal CD4(+) T lymphocytes, antiretroviral therapy failed to restore the normal colonic immunologic environment...
- Distribution and Activation of CD8+ T Cells in the Duodenal Mucosa before and after HIV SeroconversionKristina Allers
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases, and Rheumatology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, 12203 Berlin, Germany
J Immunol . 2016....
- Escherichia coli alpha-haemolysin induces focal leaks in colonic epithelium: a novel mechanism of bacterial translocationHanno Troeger
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Cell Microbiol 9:2530-40. 2007..E. coli alpha-haemolysin is able to induce focal leaks in colonic cell cultures as well as in native colon. This process represents a novel route of bacterial translocation facilitated by pro-inflammatory cytokines...
- EndoClot Polysaccharide Hemostatic System in Nonvariceal Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Results of a Prospective Multicenter Observational Pilot StudyJan C Prei
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Med Dept of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology Institute of Biometry and Clinical Epidemiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin Campus Virchow Klinikum, Med Dept of Gastroenterology and Hematology, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin Campus Mitte, Med Dept for Gastroenterology and Hematology Sana Hospital Lichtenberg, Department of Internal Medicine I Gastroenterology Evangelisches Waldkrankenhaus Spandau, Department of Internal Medicine I, Berlin University Hospital Münster, Med Dept B, Munster, Germany
J Clin Gastroenterol 50:e95-e100. 2016..The aim of the present pilot study was to evaluate the indication profiles and the short-term outcome of EndoClot...
- Rapid and accurate diagnosis of human intestinal spirochetosis by fluorescence in situ hybridizationDinah Schmiedel
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 47:1393-401. 2009..In conclusion, FISH provides a fast and accurate technique for the visualization and identification of intestinal spirochetes in tissue sections. It therefore represents a valuable tool for routine diagnosis of HIS...
- Cytokine-dependent transcriptional down-regulation of epithelial sodium channel in ulcerative colitisSalah Amasheh
Department of Clinical Physiology, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Gastroenterology 126:1711-20. 2004..This study aimed to characterize mechanisms involved in the dysregulation of ENaC expression in ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- [A young man with chronic diarrhea and epigastric pain]Juliane Buchkremer
Medizinische Klinik für Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 105:242-5. 2010..Subsequently, the diagnosis could be confirmed and the gastrinoma located. After successful pancreaticoduodenectomy, the patient was symptom-free...
- Herpes Simplex Virus Sepsis in a Young Woman with Crohn's DiseaseLea Maxie Haag
Medical Department 1, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin
J Crohns Colitis 9:1169-73. 2015....