Genomes and Genes
Organization: Humboldt University
- Matricellular signaling molecule CCN1 attenuates experimental autoimmune myocarditis by acting as a novel immune cell migration modulatorMadlen Rother
Institute for Medical Immunology, Charite Campus, Berlin, Germany
Circulation 122:2688-98. 2010..Here, we provide evidence of a novel function of CCN1 as a modulator of immune cell migration...
- Ultrasound and structural changes in inflammatory arthritis: synovitis and tenosynovitisMarina Backhaus
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology University Hospital Charité, Charite Platz 1, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1154:139-51. 2009..At present, contrast-enhanced ultrasonography is of particular interest for clinical studies in monitoring the new anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat rheumatological diseases...
- Effects of pretreatment and thermocycling on bond strength of resin core materials to various fiber-reinforced composite postsKerstin Bitter
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, CharitéCentrum 3, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Adhes Dent 10:481-9. 2008..To evaluate the effects of pretreatment (silanization) and thermocycling on bond strengths of 2 core materials to 3 different types of fiber posts...
- CXCR3+CD4+ T cells are enriched in inflamed kidneys and urine and provide a new biomarker for acute nephritis flares in systemic lupus erythematosus patientsP Enghard
Charite University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 60:199-206. 2009....
- [Germ cell tumors - documentation of diagnosis and therapy by means of a web-based modular database system]N Schreiter
Die Institutsangaben sind am Ende des Beitrags gelistet
Aktuelle Urol 39:442-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to develop an internet platform to document the quality of individual sections of treatment for patients with germ cell tumours in Berlin and to improve the therapy in conformity with the S2 guidelines...
- Endogenous IL-10 regulates sepsis-induced thymic apoptosis and improves survival in septic IL-10 null miceS K Tschoeke
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Charité University Hospitals Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Scand J Immunol 68:565-71. 2008..Thus, local thymic expression of IL-10 not only improves outcome but also reduces local tissue apoptosis and caspase-3 activity, and appears to attenuate the systemic proinflammatory cytokine response...
- High molecular weight adiponectin correlates positively with myeloperoxidase in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusP Bobbert
Department of Cardiology and Pneumology, Medical Clinic II, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12203 Berlin, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 82:179-84. 2008..304, p<0.05). HMW-APN correlates positively with MPO in patients with type 2 diabetes. Therefore, HMW-APN may exert possible pro-inflammatory effects in type 2 diabetes...
- Transcranial Doppler ultrasound during galvanic labyrinth polarization depicts central vestibular processing, demonstrating bilateral vestibular projectionHans Georg Schlosser
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum CVK, Department of Neurosurgery, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 28:372-8. 2008..This novel technique provides a useful tool for clinical examinations...
- [Treatment of hypertension in patients with renal dialysis]Walter Zidek
Medizinische Klinik IV Charité, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin
MMW Fortschr Med 150:37-8. 2008
- Incidence, prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers in intensive care patients: a longitudinal studyEman S M Shahin
Department of Nursing Science, Centre for the Humanities and Health Sciences, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Int J Nurs Stud 46:413-21. 2009..Pressure ulcers are common in acute and long-term care. However, critically ill patients usually have multiple risk factors for pressure ulcers...
- [Implementation of a quality management system for research and teaching in a university department of epidemiology]Anne Berghöfer
Institut für Sozialmedizin, Epidemiologie und Gesundheitsökonomie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10098 Berlin
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 101:675-9. 2007..Our description of the individual steps involved and the corresponding timeline may be useful to organizations of a similar type and size seeking professional external certification...
- Report of a metaplastic carcinoma of the breast with multi-directional differentiation: an adenoid cystic carcinoma, a spindle cell carcinoma and melanomaAurelia Noske
Institute of Pathology, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin 10117, Germany
Virchows Arch 452:575-9. 2008..This is the first report on a metaplastic carcinoma of the breast presenting as an admixture of an adenoid cystic carcinoma and melanoma...
- Primary versus secondary immunoglobulin E sensitization to soy and wheat in the Multi-Centre Allergy Study cohortP M Matricardi
Department of Pediatric Pneumology and Immunology, Charité University Medical Centre, Berlin, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 38:493-500. 2008..The age-specific relevance of these categories of sensitization throughout childhood is unknown...
- Disease-related malnutrition but not underweight by BMI is reflected by disturbed electric tissue properties in the bioelectrical impedance vector analysisKristina Norman
Charite Universitatsmedizin, Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin 10117, Germany
Br J Nutr 100:590-5. 2008..These disturbances are not seen in underweight according to BMI. Bioelectrical impedance vector analysis appears to be an attractive tool to identify disease-related malnutrition and to monitor nutritional intervention...
- Ex vivo evaluation of a bipolar application concept for radiofrequency ablationUrte Zurbuchen
Department of General, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Anticancer Res 29:1309-14. 2009..This is systematic research on ex vivo beef livers to find which capacity parameters produce high energy in the tissue and achieve large lesion volumes...
- Claudin-16 affects transcellular Cl- secretion in MDCK cellsDorothee Gunzel
Institut für Klinische Physiologie, Charite Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203 Berlin, Germany
J Physiol 587:3777-93. 2009..As the transepithelial voltage generated by such a current alters the driving force for all ions, this may be the major mechanism to regulate Mg(2+) and Ca(2+) absorption in the kidney...
- [Patient view in the assessment of quality of life in old age: potentials and limits]M Holzhausen
Institut für Biometrie und Klinische Epidemiologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Luisenstrasse 65, Berlin, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 42:355-9. 2009..All three approaches highlighted potentials for an extended integration of the patient's perspective in the assessment and evaluation of their quality of life...
- The expanding role of nilotinib in chronic myeloid leukemiaTheo Daniel Kim
Medizinische Klinik m S Hämatologie und Onkologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin, Germany
Expert Opin Drug Saf 10:97-107. 2011..Despite impressive results, there is room for improvement for those patients who are either resistant or intolerant to imatinib...
- Use of methotrexate in patients with ankylosing spondylitisH Haibel
Charite CBF, Rheumatology, Berlin, Germany
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:S128-31. 2010..Furthermore, there is no evidence that MTX increases the effects or prevents the side effects of TNF-blockers if given in combination. In this paper the available data of MTX in AS will be discussed...
- Preoperative multidetector row computed tomography for evaluation and assessment of resection criteria in patients with pancreatic massesChristian Grieser
Klinik fur Strahlenheilkunde, Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charit é Universit ä tsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Radiol 51:1067-77. 2010..The opportunities of modern multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) with image postprocessing can be expected to enhance the diagnostic performance if accurate criteria are elaborated...
- Anterior insula activations in perceptual paradigms: often observed but barely understoodPhilipp Sterzer
Visual Perception Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Charite Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117, Berlin, Germany
Brain Struct Funct 214:611-22. 2010..Such a mechanism could integrate endogenous and exogenous functional demands under the joint criterion of whether they challenge an individual's homeostasis...
- Echocardiographic diagnosis, management and monitoring of pulmonary embolism with right heart thrombus in a patient with myotonic dystrophy: a case reportBernd Hewing
Medizinische Klinik für Kardiologie und Angiologie, Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 8:18. 2010....
- Xenon/remifentanil anesthesia protects against adverse effects of losartan on hemodynamic challenges induced by anesthesia and acute blood lossRoland C E Francis
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Shock 34:628-35. 2010..Therefore, xenon/remifentanil anesthesia protects against circulatory side effects of losartan pretreatment and thus may afford safer therapeutic use of losartan during acute hemorrhage...
- [The public's perception of doctors is changing]Ulrich Schwantes
Institut für Allgemeinmedizin der Charité, Berlin
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 103:681-5; discussion 685-6. 2009..Due to this complexity the independence of the self-employed physician becomes increasingly obscure. At the same time, though, the image of the doctor as "an appropriate attendant" has not lost any of its radiance...
- The Berlin initiative study: the methodology of exploring kidney function in the elderly by combining a longitudinal and cross-sectional approachElke S Schaeffner
Division of Nephrology, Charite University Medicine, Campus Virchow, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 25:203-10. 2010..A new GFR-equation will be developed and validated using Iohexol clearance as gold standard to estimate GFR accurately and precisely. Data of 2,000 subjects will be used to estimate prevalence of CKD...
- [Phenotyping specific language impairment in kindergarten children]J Rosenfeld
Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Klinik für Audiologie und Phoniatrie, Berlin
Laryngorhinootologie 89:216-23. 2010..For phenotyping specific language impairment (SLI) in kindergarten children in clinical practice and research issues, we need a valid diagnostic method for dichotomous classification (language impaired, normal developing)...
- [Effects of MRI-assayed microvascular permeability on the accumulation of vinorelbine in xenograft tumors]H J Raatschen
Klinik und Hochschulambulanz für Radiologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Rofo 182:133-9. 2010..To determine the effects of MRI-assayed vascular leakiness on the delivery of macromolecular therapeutics to tumors...
- Stroke research at a road block: the streets from adversity should be paved with meta-analysis and good laboratory practiceUlrich Dirnagl
Department of Neurology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 157:1154-6. 2009..Simple measures can reduce, perhaps substantially, the impact of such bias. The decision to proceed to clinical trial should be based on a thorough and systematic review of the animal data...
- Astrocyte function is modified by Alzheimer's disease-like pathology in aged miceOliver Peters
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 18:177-89. 2009..Thus, exposure to amyloid-beta leads to altered astrocyte properties and this change might be beneficial to maintain synaptic function...
- Down-regulation of HLA Class I and NKG2D ligands through a concerted action of MAPK and DNA methyltransferases in colorectal cancer cellsChristine Sers
Institute of Pathology, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Cancer 125:1626-39. 2009....
- Productivity loss as a major component of disease-related costs in patients with hypercholesterolemia in GermanyJacqueline Müller-Nordhorn
Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, 10098, Berlin, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 97:152-9. 2008..The objective of this study is, therefore, to analyse direct and indirect costs in patients with hypercholesterolemia and to determine predictors of costs...
- High frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus modulates neurotransmission in limbic brain regions of the ratChristine Winter
Department of Neurology, Charite Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany
Exp Brain Res 185:497-507. 2008..preceding lesion of the VTA seems to prohibit further detection of DA in the NAc. We conclude that STN-HFS significantly affects neurotransmission in the limbic system, which might contribute to explain the non-motor effects of STN-HFS...
- ["Second opinion centers". Approach for improving the quality of treatment for testicular tumors]M Schrader
Klinik für Urologie, Charite, Universitatsmedizin, Berlin Campus Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin
Urologe A 45:493-4. 2006..Our aim is to reduce the mortality rate by introducing a treatment procedure supported by a second opinion center...
- Gender-related differences in the physiology of the stratum corneumUte Jacobi
Center of Experimental and Applied Cutaneous Physiology, Department of Dermatology, Medical Faculty, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Dermatology 211:312-7. 2005..Only few studies on gender-related differences in skin physiology have been performed--and they provided conflicting results...
- Long-term benefit of 5-aminolevulinic acid fluorescence assisted transurethral resection of superficial bladder cancer: 5-year results of a prospective randomized studyDmitry I Daniltchenko
Department of Urology, Charité Medical University, Campus Mitte, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Urol 174:2129-33, discussion 2133. 2005..Thus, the 5-year outcome data of a prospective randomized trial comparing patients who initially underwent bladder tumor resection (TUR) under standard white light or with ALA induced fluorescence were evaluated...
- The ratio of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) to prostate volume (PSA density) as a parameter to improve the detection of prostate carcinoma in PSA values in the range of < 4 ng/mLCarsten Stephan
Department of Urology, University Hospital Charite Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Cancer 104:993-1003. 2005..Possible cut-off levels depending on the tPSA should be established...
- The zinc finger of the CSN-associated deubiquitinating enzyme USP15 is essential to rescue the E3 ligase Rbx1Bettina K J Hetfeld
Division of Molecular Biology, Department of Surgery, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Monbijoustrasse 2, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Curr Biol 15:1217-21. 2005..In summary, a functional Zn finger of USP15 is needed to maintain a conformation essential for disassembling poly-Ub chains, a prerequisite for rescuing the E3 ligase Rbx1...
- Uterine arterial embolization with tris-acryl gelatin microspheres: a histopathologic evaluationWilko Weichert
Institute of Pathology, Charite University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 29:955-61. 2005..Pathologists must be aware of the morphologic changes induced by UAE in leiomyoma to avoid misinterpretation of induced tissue alterations as signs of malignant tumor growth...
- Pathophysiology of contrast medium-induced nephropathyPontus B Persson
Institute of Physiology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 68:14-22. 2005..A number of studies have been performed with the one aim, to shed some light onto the pathophysiology of CIN. These have led to manifold interpretations and sometimes contradicting conclusions...
- Key autoantigens in SLEG Riemekasten
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:975-82. 2005
- Spinal changes in patients with spondyloarthritis: comparison of MR imaging and radiographic appearancesKay Geert A Hermann
Department of Radiology, Charite Medical School, Campus Mitte, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Radiographics 25:559-69; discussion 569-70. 2005..Classification of the different findings based on the typical signal-intensity changes seen on MR images enables standardized reporting, and scoring the lesions may be helpful in clinical trials...
- Gene expression and regulation of nerve growth factor in atopic dermatitis mast cells and the human mast cell line-1David A Groneberg
Allergy Centre Charité, Charite School of Medicine, Free and Humboldt University, Augustenburger Platz 1 OR 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 161:87-92. 2005..These findings demonstrate an increased expression of NGF in AD and effects on tryptase and histamine. Mast cells may be major mediators of neurotrophin effects in AD...
- Postprandial abdominal pain, megaloblastic anaemia, and severe weight loss in an 80 year old manA U Dignass
Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin Campus Virchow, Medizinische Klinik m S Hepatologie und Gastroenterologie, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Gut 54:418, 436. 2005
- Expression of tyrosine hydroxylase and neuropeptide tyrosine in mouse sympathetic airway-specific neurons under normal situation and allergic airway inflammationQ T Dinh
Department of Internal Medicine, Charite School of Medicine, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 34:1934-41. 2004..The traditional neurotransmitter catecholamine and the neuropeptide tyrosine in sympathetic airway nerves have been proposed to be involved in the pathogenesis of airway diseases...
- Steroid administration before partial hepatectomy with temporary inflow occlusion does not influence cyclin D1 and Ki-67 related liver regenerationMatthias Glanemann
Department of General Surgery, Visceral Surgery and Transplantation Surgery, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 389:380-6. 2004..We investigated the effects of methylprednisolone on hepatocyte proliferation after partial hepatectomy with temporary inflow occlusion...
- The proportion of pseudo-halitosis patients in a multidisciplinary breath malodour consultationRainer Seemann
Department of Operative and Preventive Dentistry, Charité University Medical School of Berlin, Dental School, Germany
Int Dent J 56:77-81. 2006..To report the data from a multidisciplinary bad breath consultation in Germany...
- Who should manage infants and young children with food induced symptoms?B Niggemann
Department of Paediatric Pneumology and Immunology, University Children s Hospital Charite, Berlin, Germany
Arch Dis Child 91:379-82. 2006
- Time-dependent effects of cadaveric renal transplantation on arterial compliance in patients with end-stage renal diseaseTimm H Westhoff
Medizinische Klinik IV, Nephrology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 81:1410-4. 2006..In the present study, we investigated the time-dependent effects of cadaveric renal transplantation on arterial elasticity in end-stage renal disease patients...
- [Gender and obesity--what does "being fat" mean to boys and girls?]Susanna Wiegand
Charité Kinderklinik, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Interdisziplinäres SPZ, Bereich Adipositas, Endokrinologie, Diabetes, Berlin
Ther Umsch 64:319-24. 2007..Obese girls are also four times more likely to become a victim of peer aggression compared to obese boys or non-obese girls. Obese boys on the other hand are more likely to become media dependent...
- Down-regulation of the inhibitor of growth 1 (ING1) tumor suppressor sensitizes p53-deficient glioblastoma cells to cisplatin-induced cell deathUte Gesche Tallen
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, Children s Hospital, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
J Neurooncol 86:23-30. 2008..Our results indicate that malignant gliomas may down-regulate ING1 to allow more efficient tumor growth and progression. Also, ING1 down-regulation may sensitize GBM cells with deficient p53 to treatment with cisplatin...
- Evidence for genetic susceptibility towards development of posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorder in solid organ recipientsNina Babel
Department of Nephrology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 84:387-91. 2007....
- Memantine-associated reversal of clozapine-induced weight gainM Schaefer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 40:149-51. 2007..Weight gain is a frequently observed adverse event in the treatment with atypical antipsychotics that significantly affects the patients' physical health and treatment compliance...
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Diagnosis of cleidocranial dysplasia in routine chest radiographAhi Sema Issever
Department of Radiology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Circulation 116:e116-8. 2007
- [Perinatal risk factors for long-term health. Results of the German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS)]K E Bergmann
Geburtsmedizin der Charité Universitätsmedizin, Berlin, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 50:670-6. 2007..With respect to smoking and alcohol consumption during pregnancy there seems to be an urgent need for political action...
- [Surgical site infection rates using a laparoscopic approach: results of the German national nosocomial infections surveillance system]S Brummer
Nationales Referenzzentrum NRZ für nosokomiale Infektionen, Berlin, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:910-4. 2007..Our aim was to assess the impact of laparoscopy on surgical site infections...
- A case of axial undifferentiated spondyloarthritis diagnosis and managementMartin Rudwaleit
Rheumatology, Department of Medicine I, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 3:298-303. 2007..A 32-year-old white man presented with features of inflammatory back pain, including awakening at night and morning stiffness. He had acute back pain 4 years earlier as a result of a herniated lumbar disc...
- Medical students teaching basic life support to school children as a required element of medical education: a randomised controlled study comparing three different approaches to fifth year medical training in emergency medicineJan Breckwoldt
Department of Anaesthesiology and Perioperative Intensive Care Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Resuscitation 74:158-65. 2007..To combine both ideas we trained medical students to give BLS courses and sent them to teach school children. This was a requirement for their emergency medicine course. Our model was compared to conventional teaching...
- [Cardioprotection by means of Candesartan in cardiac insufficiency. CHARM overall partial evaluation (Candesartan in heart failure assessment of reduction in mortality and morbidity)]C Tschope
Abteilung für Kardiologie und Pulmologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Internist (Berl) 47:1084-6. 2006
- On the variety of cell death pathways in the Lurcher mutant mouseJörg Bäurle
Campus Benjamin Franklin, Department of Physiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Arnimallee 22, 14195, Berlin, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 112:691-702. 2006..Moreover, we present the first evidence for the ability of FJ-B to selectively label a discrete population of dying PCs, implying a higher selectivity of FJ-B than previously supposed...
- Dissociating the past from the present in the activity of place cellsLivia de Hoz
Institute for Neurophysiology, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Hippocampus 16:704-15. 2006..Using tasks designed to evoke episodic memory, one should be able to see memory reactivation of behaviorally relevant sequences of activity in the awake animal while recording from hippocampus and other cortical structures...
- [Introduction to the topic: Deficient pain therapy by addict patients]C Spies
Kliniken für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Campus Charité Mitte und Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin
Anaesthesist 55:609-10. 2006
- The catechol-O-methyltransferase Val108/158Met polymorphism affects short-term treatment response to mirtazapine, but not to paroxetine in major depressionA Szegedi
Department of Psychiatry, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Pharmacogenomics J 5:49-53. 2005..Time course of response and antidepressant efficacy of mirtazapine, but not paroxetine, seem to be influenced in a clinically relevant manner by this allelic variation within the COMT gene...