Affiliation: Heinrich Heine University
- Laparotomy enables retrograde dilatation and stent placement for malignant esophago-respiratory fistulaAlexander Rehders
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Kinderchirurgie, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
World J Surg Oncol 6:8. 2008..Malignant esophageal stenosis with complete obstruction and esophagorespiratory fistula (ERF) is difficult to treat with standard endoscopic techniques...
- Unusual histological findings after partial pancreaticoduodenectomy including benign multicystic mesothelioma, adenomyoma of the ampulla of Vater, and undifferentiated carcinoma, sarcomatoid variant: a case seriesNadja Lehwald
Department of General, Visceral and Pediatric Surgery Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Moorenstr, 5, 40225 Duesseldorf, Germany
J Med Case Reports 4:402. 2010..Unusual histological findings may occasionally occur in the surgical specimen. We present three unusual histologic diagnoses after pancreaticoduodenectomy...
- Multiple giant scalp metastases of a follicular thyroid carcinomaKenko Cupisti
Department of General, Visceral and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
World J Surg Oncol 6:82. 2008..The occurrence of skin metastases are rare events in the course of a follicular thyroid carcinoma (FTC) and usually indicate advanced tumor stages. The scalp is the most affected area of these metastases...
- Therapy of suspected intrathoracic parathyroid adenomas. Experiences using open transthoracic approach and video-assisted thoracoscopic surgeryKenko Cupisti
Klinik für Allgemein und Unfallchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 386:488-93. 2002..Ectopic mediastinal parathyroid adenoma as a cause of primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT) can normally be resected from conventional collar incision. In rare cases with adenomas deeper in the chest, a transthoracic approach is necessary...
- Long-term clinical and biochemical follow-up in medullary thyroid carcinoma: a single institution's experience over 20 yearsKenko Cupisti
Department of General, Visceral, and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Ann Surg 246:815-21. 2007..To comprehend these complex courses and to find relevant prognostic factors we report a 20-year single center experience of 289 patients with MTC or precursor C-cell-hyperplasias...
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in the young age group: particularities of diagnostic and therapeutic schemesKenko Cupisti
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
World J Surg 28:1153-6. 2004..The high rate of multiple gland disease requires bilateral cervical exploration as the standard procedure in pHPT patients younger than 30 years of age...
- Notch 1 tumor expression is lacking in highly proliferative pancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsMarkus Krausch
Department of General, Visceral and Pediatric Surgery, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Endocrine 44:182-6. 2013..The missing Notch expression in the malignant tumor course might be used as a potential predictive marker, but further studies are needed to investigate the underlying molecular mechanism...
- "Cherry picking", a multiple non-anatomic liver resection technique, as a promising option for diffuse liver metastases in patients with neuroendocrine tumoursMarkus Krausch
Department of General, Visceral and Pediatric Surgery, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Moorenstr 5, 40225, Duesseldorf, Germany
World J Surg 38:392-401. 2014..Because large liver resections often cannot be performed due to insufficient remnant liver volume, a special operative technique, "cherry picking" (multiple nonanatomic liver resections), can be used as a tissue-preserving procedure...
- Incidentally found medullary thyroid cancer: treatment rationale for small tumorsAndreas Raffel
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
World J Surg 28:397-401. 2004..Nevertheless, such patients require systematic careful long-term follow-up...
- Trends in adrenal surgery: institutional review of 528 consecutive adrenalectomiesAnja Lachenmayer
Department of General, Visceral and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital, Moorenstraße 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 397:1099-107. 2012..The aim of our study was to report a single institution's experience with adrenal surgery...
- Increased EpCAM expression in malignant insulinoma: potential clinical implicationsAndreas Raffel
Department of General, Institute of Pathology, University Hospital of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 162:391-8. 2010..We tested whether EpCAM overexpression is reactivated in insulinomas, endocrine tumors arising in the pancreas...
- Neuropsychiatric and cognitive changes after surgery for primary hyperparathyroidismCornelia M E Dotzenrath
Department of Surgery, St Antonius Kliniken, Vogelsangstrasse 106, 42109, Wuppertal, Germany
World J Surg 30:680-5. 2006..Neuropsychiatric symptoms and cognitive impairment are mental manifestations of primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT). The aim of our study was to determine if surgical treatment results in a long-lasting full recovery from these symptoms...
- Sporadic solitary aldosterone- and cortisol-co-secreting adenomas: endocrine, histological and genetic findings in a subtype of primary aldosteronismHolger S Willenberg
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Rheumatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf, Duesseldorf, Germany
Hypertens Res 33:467-72. 2010..These two cases document the fact that sporadic A/CPA is a subtype of PA. The presence of an A/CPA should be considered if a patient has both PA and hypercortisolism...
- Identification of occult metastases of medullary thyroid carcinoma by pentagastrin-stimulated intravenous calcitonin sampling followed by targeted surgeryMatthias Schott
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Rheumatology, University Hospital Dusselsorf, Germany
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:405-9. 2007..In limited disease stages, however, morphological investigations including ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 18F-FDG positron emission tomography ([18F]FDG-PET) may often fail to identify exact tumour sites...
- Survivin and XIAP: two valuable biomarkers in medullary thyroid carcinomaThomas A Werner
Department of Surgery A, Heinrich Heine University and University Hospital Duesseldorf, Building 12 46, Moorenstrasse 5, Duesseldorf, Germany
Br J Cancer 114:427-34. 2016..Therefore, the identification of biomarkers that can be antagonised by small-molecule therapeutics may lead to novel encouraging treatment options...
- Do Germans keep patients too long in hospital? A prospective randomized trialCornelia M E Dotzenrath
Department of Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, Dusseldorf 40225, Germany
World J Surg 29:1189-93. 2005..A 2-day hospital stay after thyroid surgery is possible and does not show medical or health-related quality of life disadvantages in patients with an uncomplicated postoperative course who consider themselves healthy...
- Synchronous occurrence of a follicular, papillary and medullary thyroid carcinoma in a recurrent goiterKenko Cupisti
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Endocr J 52:281-5. 2005..This work represented possible long term exposure to inhalative carcinogenous toxins like hydrazine, which caused thyroid parafollicular cell adenomas in an animal model...