- Motor performance deteriorates with simultaneously performed cognitive tasks in geriatric patientsKlaus Hauer
Bethanie Kkrankenhaus Geriatrisches Zentrum an der Universität Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:217-23. 2002..To investigate whether simultaneous cognitive tasks influence maximal motor performance in frail geriatric patients with a history of injurious falls and different levels of cognitive function...
- Two years later: a prospective long-term follow-up of a training intervention in geriatric patients with a history of severe fallsKlaus Hauer
Bethanien Krankenhaus, Geriatrisches Zentrum an der Universität Heidelberg, Germany
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1426-32. 2003..To study the long-term outcome of a physical training regimen of ambulant postward rehabilitation in community-dwelling geriatric patients with a history of injurious falls...
- Cognitive impairment decreases postural control during dual tasks in geriatric patients with a history of severe fallsKlaus Hauer
Bethanien Krankenhaus Geriatrisches Zentrum am Klinikum der Universität Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1638-44. 2003..To investigate the influence of dual tasks, cognitive strategies, and fear of falling on postural control in geriatric patients with or without cognitive impairment and with a history of falls resulting in injury...
- Sustainability of motor training effects in older people with dementiaTania Zieschang
Agaplesion Bethanien Hospital, Center for Geriatric Medicine at the University of Heidelberg, Rohrbacher Street 149, Heidelberg, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 34:191-202. 2013..75 ± 40.66 versus CG: 15.60 ± 39.26, p = 0.369). The study found that intensive dementia-specific motor training sustainably improved functional performance of patients with dementia nine months after cessation of training...
- Frailty prevalence and 10-year survival in community-dwelling older adults: results from the ESTHER cohort studyKai Uwe Saum
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Aging Research, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 581, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 29:171-9. 2014..We found sex differences in the FI and its increase with age, along with a consistent strong association of the FI with mortality in both sexes, even for age group 50-64...
- Feasibility and accuracy of fall reports in persons with dementia: a prospective observational studyTania Zieschang
Agaplesion Bethanien Hospital, Centre of Geriatric Medicine at University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int Psychogeriatr 24:587-98. 2012..The feasibility, test-retest reliability, and accuracy of different fall recording methods have not been studied in older persons with dementia...
- Is Polypharmacy Associated with Frailty in Older People? Results From the ESTHER Cohort StudyKai Uwe Saum
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Aging Research, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc . 2016..To investigate the relationship between polypharmacy and frailty...
- Association between Oxidative Stress and Frailty in an Elderly German Population: Results from the ESTHER Cohort StudyKai Uwe Saum
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Aging Research, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Gerontology 61:407-15. 2015..While causes of frailty are complex and multidimensional based on the interaction of genetic, biological, physical, and environmental factors, the biological basis of frailty has been difficult to establish...
- Rollator use adversely impacts on assessment of gait and mobility during geriatric rehabilitationMichael Schwenk
Department of Geriatric Research, Agaplesion Bethanien Hospital Geriatric Centre at University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Rehabil Med 43:424-9. 2011..To investigate the influence of the use of a rollator walking aid on assessment of gait and mobility...
- Geriatric patients' preferences for treatment of urinary incontinence: a study of hospitalized, cognitively competent adults aged 80 and olderMathias H D Pfisterer
Bethanien Krankenhaus Geriatric Center, Heidelberg, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:2016-22. 2007....
- Intensive physical training in geriatric patients after severe falls and hip surgeryKlaus Hauer
Bethanien Krankenhaus Geriatrisches Zentrum an der Universität Heidelberg, Rohrbacherstr 149 69124 Heidelberg, Germany
Age Ageing 31:49-57. 2002..There is little information whether intensive physical exercise may be applicable and effective in elderly patients suffering from the acute sequelae of injurious falls or hip surgery...
- Assessment of physical activity in older people with and without cognitive impairmentKlaus Hauer
Bethanien Krankenhaus Geriatric Center, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Aging Phys Act 19:347-72. 2011..973 (TS) to .975 (CI) to .966 (no CI), and sensitivity to change (effect sizes: 0.35-1.47) were found in both subsamples...
- Dual-task performances can be improved in patients with dementia: a randomized controlled trialMichael Schwenk
Department of Geriatric Research, Bethanien Krankenhaus Geriatric Centre at the University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Neurology 74:1961-8. 2010..The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of a specific dual-task training in patients with mild to moderate dementia...
- Improvements in gait characteristics after intensive resistance and functional training in people with dementia: a randomised controlled trialMichael Schwenk
Department of Geriatric Research, Bethanien Hospital Geriatric Center at the University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Geriatr 14:73. 2014..The aim of the present study was to determine whether a specific, standardized training regimen can improve gait characteristics in people with dementia...
- Development and evaluation of a modification of the Fried frailty criteria using population-independent cutpointsKai Uwe Saum
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Aging Research, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:2110-5. 2012..To develop and evaluate a modification of the Fried frailty assessment using population-independent cutpoints and to determine frailty prevalence of community-dwelling elderly people in a German population...
- Acute and chronic pain in geriatrics: clinical characteristics of pain and the influence of cognitionMatthias Schuler
Bethanien Hospital, Geriatric Center at the University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Pain Med 5:253-62. 2004....
- Improvement in muscular performance and decrease in tumor necrosis factor level in old age after antioxidant treatmentKlaus Hauer
Bethanien Krankenhaus, Geriatrisches Zentrum der Universität Heidelberg, Rohrbacher Strasse 149, 69126, Heidelberg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 81:118-25. 2003..These findings may provide a basis for therapeutic intervention and suggest that the loss of function involves limitations in cysteine and one or more other amino acids which may compromise muscular protein synthesis...
- Coordination of strength exertion during the chair-rise movement in very old peopleUlrich Lindemann
Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Geriatrische Rehabilitation, Auerbachstr 110, Stuttgart, Germany
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:636-40. 2007..These coordinative aspects have received less attention. This study aims to analyze differences in STS performance in older people based on measures that are derived from ground reaction forces (GRFs) during STS transfer...
- Measuring functional performance in persons with dementiaKlaus Hauer
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:949-50. 2008
- The Short FES-I: a shortened version of the falls efficacy scale-international to assess fear of fallingGertrudis I J M Kempen
School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Age Ageing 37:45-50. 2008..the 16-item Falls Efficacy Scale-International (FES-I) has been shown to have excellent reliability and construct validity. However, for practical and clinical purposes, a shortened version of the FES-I would be useful...
- Measuring the psychological outcomes of falling: a systematic reviewEllen C Jørstad
Warwick Emergency Care and Rehabilitation, Center for Primary Health Care Studies, University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:501-10. 2005..Researchers should select measures based on the constructs they intend to study. Further research is needed to establish and compare the instruments' measurement properties...
- Re: 'falls definition validation'Dawn A Skelton
Age Ageing 36:111-2. 2007
- Older people's views of falls-prevention interventions in six European countriesLucy Yardley
School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom SO17 1BJ
Gerontologist 46:650-60. 2006..Our study identified factors common to a variety of populations and settings that may promote or inhibit uptake and adherence to falls-related interventions...
- Systematic review of definitions and methods of measuring falls in randomised controlled fall prevention trialsKlaus Hauer
Robert Bosch Krankenhaus Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stuttgart, Germany
Age Ageing 35:5-10. 2006..to review systematically the range of case definitions and methods used to measure falls in randomised controlled trials...
- Suitability of physical activity questionnaires for older adults in fall-prevention trials: a systematic reviewEllen C Jørstad-Stein
Warwick Emergency Care and Rehabilitation, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
J Aging Phys Act 13:461-81. 2005..The results have implications for the designs of large-scale trials investigating many different geriatric syndromes...
- Development and initial validation of the Falls Efficacy Scale-International (FES-I)Lucy Yardley
School of Psychology, University of Southampton, UK
Age Ageing 34:614-9. 2005....
- Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: the Prevention of Falls Network Europe consensusSarah E Lamb
Warwick Emergency Care and Rehabilitation, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1618-22. 2005..Work is being undertaken in a 4-year program. As a first step, the development of a common set of outcome definitions and measures for future trials or meta-analysis was considered...