Genomes and Genes
Hannover Medical School
Organization: Hannover Medical School
- Subclinical myasthenia gravis causing increased sensitivity to botulinum toxin therapyDirk Dressler
Department of Neurology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Neural Transm 117:1293-4. 2010..We are now describing subclinical INT for the first time in a patient with ocular myasthenia gravis. Due to its unpredictability subclinical INT may pose a risk to patients receiving BT therapy...
- Peripartum cardiomyopathy: recent insights in its pathophysiologyDenise Hilfiker-Kleiner
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Hannover Medical School, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Trends Cardiovasc Med 18:173-9. 2008..In this review, we are highlighting the current knowledge on risk factors, potential pathomechanisms, and treatment options for PPCM...
- Resistance of Janus kinase-2 dependent leptin signaling in natural killer (NK) cells: a novel mechanism of NK cell dysfunction in diet-induced obesityHeike Nave
Institute for Functional and Applied Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Endocrinology 149:3370-8. 2008..The differential role of leptin has important implications for the influence of body weight in the response to systemic inflammations and in the immunological defense of cancer...
- Nonparametric relevance-shifted multiple testing procedures for the analysis of high-dimensional multivariate data with small sample sizesCornelia Frömke
Department of Biometry, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str, 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 9:54. 2008..However, in some studies a significant deviation of the difference in locations from zero (or 1 in terms of the ratio) is biologically meaningless. A relevant difference or ratio is sought in such cases...
- [Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Current clinical trials and underlying pathomechanisms]K Kollewe
Neurologische Klinik mit Klinischer Neurophysiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, Hannover, Germany
Nervenarzt 79:653-61. 2008..This review summarizes the current state of clinical studies in ALS patients in the context of underlying therapeutic mechanisms...
- Obstetrical volume and early neonatal mortality in preterm infantsDorothee B Bartels
Department of Epidemiology, Public Medicine and Healthcare Systems Research, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, OE 5410, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 22:791-8. 2007..However, levels of care are usually not linked to caseload requirements, which remain a point for discussion. We aimed to investigate the impact of annual delivery volume on early neonatal mortality among very preterm births...
- [Transthoracic echocardiography as a diagnostic tool in patients with thoracic stab wounds: early ultrasonographic evaluation in the emergency room]N Khaladj
Klinik fur Herz, Thorax, Transplantations und Gefässchirurgie, Medizinische Hochschule, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 111:107-11. 2008..The importance of rapid diagnosis and intervention should be emphasized to reduce mortality due to cardiac tamponade or acute myocardial infarction as illustrated by this case...
- Percutaneous bone biopsy. A new application for 3D navigation: a pilot studyM Citak
Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Technol Health Care 15:231-6. 2007..The feasibility of Iso-C-3D navigated bone biopsies is tempered by the requirement a rigidly fixed dynamic reference frame...
- Risk factors for death due to nosocomial infection in intensive care unit patients: findings from the Krankenhaus Infektions Surveillance SystemP Gastmeier
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hospital Epidemiology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:466-72. 2007..To determine risk factors for death among patients with nosocomial pneumonia and patients with primary bloodstream infections (BSI) in intensive care units (ICUs)...
- FTY720 application following isolated warm liver ischemia improves long-term survival and organ protection in a mouse modelC P Kaudel
Department of Transplant Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Transplant Proc 39:493-8. 2007..This study shows an organ-protective effect of an intraoperative FTY720 administration following warm liver ischemia (Pringle's maneuver)...
- Prognostic value of growth-differentiation factor-15 in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromeKai C Wollert
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Circulation 115:962-71. 2007..Circulating levels of GDF-15 may provide prognostic information in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome...
- The significance of uterine notching in Doppler sonography in early pregnancy as a predictor for pathologic outcome of the pregnancyIsmini Staboulidou
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division Prenatal Medicine and General Gynecology, University Medical School of Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, Hannover 30625, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 276:21-8. 2007....
- ErbB receptor regulation by dexamethasone in mouse type II epithelial cellsC E L Dammann
Division of Newborn Medicine, Tufts University and Floating Hospital for Children, Boston, MA, USA
Eur Respir J 28:1117-23. 2006..In conclusion, dexamethasone signalling involves erbB receptors in foetal type II cells, in a manner similar to, but distinct from, neuregulin-containing fibroblast-conditioned medium signalling...
- Clinical application of tissue engineered human heart valves using autologous progenitor cellsSerghei Cebotari
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Circulation 114:I132-7. 2006..Here, we report our first clinical implantation of pulmonary heart valves (PV) engineered with autologous endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) and the results of 3.5 years of follow-up...
- First experiences with intraoperative Levosimendan in pediatric cardiac surgeryWilhelm Alexander Osthaus
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, OE 8050, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 168:735-40. 2009..Levosimendan is a new rescue drug which has beneficial effects, even in pediatric cardiac surgery...
- Diagnostic role of endothelial microparticles in vasculitisU Erdbruegger
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1820-5. 2008..More recently, endothelial microparticles (EMPs) were found to be increased in active childhood vasculitis. The role of EMP in adult AAV and the relationship between EMP and CEC is unclear...
- Inhibitor-Immunology-Study. Different HLA-types seem to be involved in the inhibitor development in haemophilia AI Wieland
Pädiatrische Hämatologie und Onkologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Hamostaseologie 28:S26-8. 2008..We performed HLA typing in 50 patients with haemophilia A in an effort to find associations with inhibitor development...
- Mitochondrial dynamics: molecular mechanisms and the role in the heartV Jazbutyte
Institute of Molecular and Translational Therapeutic Strategies, Department of Cardiology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Minerva Cardioangiol 58:231-9. 2010..In this review, I will briefly summarize current knowledge about molecular machinery mediating mitochondrial fusion/ fission, its link to apoptosis and cardiovascular disease...
- [Concept of living conditions or social strata?--which approach is more suitable for describing unhealthy living circumstances of mothers?]S Sperlich
Medizinische Soziologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Gesundheitswesen 72:813-23. 2010....
- Acquired haemophilia caused by non-haemophilic factor VIII gene variantsAndreas Tiede
Department of Haematology, Hannover Medical School, Feodor Lynen Str 5, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Ann Hematol 89:607-12. 2010..The expected frequency in the general Caucasoid population undergoing transfusion is 3% to 4%. In conclusion, encounter of variant allogeneic FVIII presented on a suitable MHC background could be a risk factor for inhibitor formation...
- An animal model to study ACL reconstruction during growthRupert Meller
Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Technol Health Care 17:403-10. 2009..Using this model, remaining open questions concerning ACL reconstruction during growth can be addressed in future studies...
- A robot-guided minimally invasive approach for cochlear implant surgery: preliminary results of a temporal bone studyOmid Majdani
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Clinic for Otolaryngology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, OE 6500, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 4:475-86. 2009..The aim of this study was to create an access canal to the inner ear, by drilling, and perform the cochleostomy for cochlear implant surgery using robot guidance...
- Mechanisms and markers of vascular damage in ANCA-associated vasculitisMarion Haubitz
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Autoimmunity 42:605-14. 2009..Here, we review mechanisms and markers of endothelial damage and repair in ANCA-associated vasculitis and put these findings into perspective...
- S100B serum levels and word memory processing in remitted major depression as reflected by brain potentialsYuanyuan Zhang
Clinic for Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Neuropsychobiology 59:172-7. 2009..The pathophysiologic role of S100B in depression, however, is not yet sufficiently understood...
- [Biomaterials in cochlear implants]T Stover
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover
Laryngorhinootologie 88:S12-31. 2009..General considerations of material aspects related to cochlear implants as well as potential future perspectives of implant development will be discussed...
- Long-term outcome with intravenous iloprost in pulmonary arterial hypertensionM M Hoeper
Hanover Medical School, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Eur Respir J 34:132-7. 2009..In conclusion, despite initial haemodynamic and clinical improvement, overall long-term survival with i.v. iloprost therapy was limited...
- [Requirements of trauma networks in Lower Saxony]F Hildebrand
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 112:211-6. 2009..In this study, hospitals and emergency services in Lower Saxony were asked about their demands on the Hannover regional trauma network...
- The tyrosine phosphatase SHP-2 controls urokinase-dependent signaling and functions in human vascular smooth muscle cellsJulia Kiyan
Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strabetae 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Exp Cell Res 315:1029-39. 2009..Our results demonstrate that SHP-2 plays an important role in uPA-directed signaling and functional control of human VSMC and suggest that this phosphatase might contribute to the pathogenesis of the uPA-related vascular remodeling...
- Immunosuppressive treatment for acquired haemophilia: current practice and future directions in Germany, Austria and SwitzerlandAndreas Tiede
Department of Haematology, Haemostasis, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Ann Hematol 88:365-70. 2009..Immunoadsorption was preferred for first- and second-line treatment by 10% and 9% of participants, respectively. These results highlight critical issues in the field. Open questions and directions for future research are discussed...
- Neonatal Kawashima intraventricular repair for Taussig-Bing anomaly with oblique relationship of the great arteriesM Ono
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:492-5. 2008....
- Transcoronary delivery of bone marrow cells to the infarcted murine myocardium: feasibility, cellular kinetics, and improvement in cardiac functionChristian Templin
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 101:301-10. 2006..In conclusion, BMCs delivered by transcoronary injection increase capillary density and improve LV function after MI although homing to the ischemic heart is only transient...
- Ambient monitoring and biomonitoring of workers exposed to N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone in an industrial facilityMichael Bader
Department of Occupational Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 79:357-64. 2006..The exposure of seven workers and three on-site study examiners to N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) was studied in an adhesive bonding compound and glue production facility...
- Vitamins, antioxidants and endothelial function in coronary artery diseaseBurkhard Hornig
Abteilung Kardiologie und Angiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 16:401-9. 2002
- The fate of effector T cells in vivo is determined during activation and differs for CD4+ and CD8+ cellsUlrike Bode
Center of Anatomy, Medical School of Hannover, Germany
J Immunol 169:6085-91. 2002..3 +/- 1.0%) and were able to leave the mLN into the blood. Elucidating the factors regulating the proliferation of effector T cells in vivo will help to modify their distribution for therapeutic purposes...
- [Recent developments in surgery of the thoracic aorta]Matthias Karck
Klinik fur Thorax, Herz und Gefässchirurgie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Herz 27:418-25. 2002..Some of these evolving changes in operative strategies and indications are discussed on the basis of a single-center experience...
- Long-term follow-up after surgery for advanced colorectal carcinoma involving the urogenital tractChristian G Stief
Department of Urology, Urologische Klinik, MHH, D 30623 Hannover, Germany
Eur Urol 41:546-50. 2002..Advanced colorectal carcinomas frequently involve the urogenital tract. In the following we evaluate the long-term survival after radical surgical extirpation and the prognostic significance of involvement of specific urological organs...
- Knowledge on drug dosages of ward physiciansJ U Schnurrer
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, 30623 Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 58:65-7. 2002..Dosing errors are a common source for preventable adverse drug events. This study evaluated the knowledge of German hospital physicians with respect to the daily dosage of frequently used drugs...
- Renal resistance index and progression of renal diseaseJörg Radermacher
Department of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Hypertension 39:699-703. 2002..A renal resistance index value of greater-than-or-equal to 80 reliably identifies patients at risk for progressive renal disease...
- Successful therapy of subcutaneously growing human hepatoblastoma xenografts with topotecanS W Warmann
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical School Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Med Pediatr Oncol 37:449-54. 2001....
- [Vibrant Sound Bridge System. A new kind hearing prosthesis for patients with sensorineural hearing loss. 2. Audiological results]T Lenarz
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik
Laryngorhinootologie 80:370-80. 2001..The audiological results achieved with n = 34 patients over a period of up to three years are presented in this second part of the publication...
- The scientific development of maxillofacial surgery in the 20th century and an outlook into the futureJ E Hausamen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical University of Hannover, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 29:2-21. 2001..Altogether, the complexity of maxillofacial surgery in the coming century will increase, necessitating the best and widely trained maxillofacial surgeons for successful accomplishment...
- Plasma concentration of asymmetric dimethylarginine, an endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase, is elevated in monkeys with hyperhomocyst(e)inemia or hypercholesterolemiaR H Boger
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:1557-64. 2000..Because ADMA acts as a competitive inhibitor of endothelial nitric oxide synthase, these findings suggest a novel mechanism for impaired endothelial function in hyperhomocyst(e)inemia...
- Quantitation of DNA extracted after micropreparation of cells from frozen and formalin-fixed tissue sectionsJ Serth
Department of Urology Research Laboratory, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Am J Pathol 156:1189-96. 2000..It provides the basis for reliable qualitative analyses as well as the precondition for further quantitative genetic measurements from microdissected frozen or formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue sections...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor enhances the expression of NGF and p75 low-affinity NGF receptor in astrocytesI Semkova
Center of Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, OE 4140, D 30623, Hannover, Germany
Brain Res 838:184-92. 1999..CNTF is highly expressed in the lesioned brain and CNTF-induced upregulation of NGF synthesis could be involved in the endogenous repair mechanisms...
- Macrophage activation and programming and its role for macrophage function in glomerular inflammationL P Erwig
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, UK
Kidney Blood Press Res 22:21-5. 1999..The new concept of 'macrophage programming' is introduced and novel strategies to alter macrophage function within nephritic glomeruli that could be used for the treatment of glomerular inflammation are highlighted...
- [Oxcarbazepine in the treatment of affective and schizoaffective disorders]D E Dietrich
Abteilung Klinische Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 71:255-64. 2003..We conclude that further studies should validate the antimanic efficacy of OXC and evaluate possible pharmacopsychiatric indications as well as limitations of this psychotropic compound...
- Polyclonal IgM influence oligodendrocyte precursor cells in mixed glial cell cultures: implications for remyelinationMartin Stangel
Department of Neurology, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 138:25-30. 2003..The exact mechanism of how this modulation of OPCs is achieved remains unknown, but a complex interaction among all cells present in the CNS has to be postulated...
- Thiol-modifying phenylarsine oxide inhibits guanine nucleotide binding of Rho but not of Rac GTPasesRalf Gerhard
Institut fur Toxikologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 63:1349-55. 2003..Thus, PAO does not exclusively inhibit phosphotyrosine phosphatases but also inactivates RhoA by alteration of nucleotide binding...
- Intraoperative computed tomography in otorhinolaryngologyM Stieve
Department of Otolaryngology, Medical University of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 126:82-7. 2006....
- Navigated intraoperative analysis of lower limb alignmentStefan Hankemeier
Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School MHH, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:531-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare conventional intraoperative analysis of the mechanical axis by the cable method with continuous, 3-dimensional imaging with a navigation system...
- [Identity and dissociation in cyberspace. A case of dissociative identity disorder associated with internet role playing]B T Te Wildt
Abteilung für Klinische Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Nervenarzt 77:81-4. 2006..By mediating dissociative experiences, the Internet can challenge the boundaries of people's sense of identity. To illustrate this hypothesis, a case of dissociative identity disorder (DID) is presented...
- DNA-based genetic testing is rising steeply in a national health care system with open access to services: a survey of genetic test use in Germany, 1996-2002Jorg Schmidtke
Institute of Human Genetics, Hannover Medical School, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Genet Test 9:80-4. 2005..DNA-based testing appears to be focussed on disease-associated germ-line alterations...
- [New guidelines for treatment of hypertension]H Haller
Abteilung Nephrologie, Zentrum Innere Medizin der Medizinischen Hochschulen Hannover
Internist (Berl) 46:538-47. 2005..In addition to the antihypertensive properties, substance-specific effects of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers have been described. Primarily, instead of monotherapy low-dose combination therapy can also be judicious...
- Alpha beta but not gamma delta T cell clones in synovial fluids of patients with reactive arthritis show active transcription of tumour necrosis factor alpha and interferon gammaM Rihl
Hannover Medical School MHH, Department of Rheumatology OE 6850, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1673-6. 2004..To compare the cytokine expression profile of three CD8+, three CD4+, and three gammadelta+ T cell clones all derived from the synovial fluids of three patients with reactive arthritis (ReA)...
- [Operative management of cervical spine injuries in patients with Bechterew's disease]U Lange
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover
Unfallchirurg 108:63-8. 2005..Secondary management by combined dorsoventral stabilization resulted in more rigid fixation and uneventful healing in both cases. We recommend careful assessment and well-planned management in these cases...
- Mass spectrometry-validated HPLC method for urinary nitrateDimitrios Tsikas
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Clin Chem 50:1259-61. 2004
- Testing questionnaires with cognitive methods: Part 2, ThinkaloudsSiegfried Geyer
Medical Sociology Unit, Hannover Medical School
Soz Praventivmed 48:392-3. 2003
- [Thoughts on the economic aspects of management of severely injured patients with reference to "diagnostic related groups" (DRG). An initiative of the Specialized Committee of the German Health Care System]H C Pape
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover
Unfallchirurg 106:869-73, discussion 873. 2003
- Acupuncture in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms: a randomized, placebo-controlled inpatient studyMatthias Karst
Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Clinic, Medical School of Hannover, D 30623 Hannover, Germany
Addict Biol 7:415-9. 2002..We conclude that acupuncture as an adjunctive treatment to carbamazepine medication shows promise for the treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Further investigation of this treatment modality appears to be warranted...
- Trauma care in GermanyJ Westhoff
Department of Trauma, Hannover Medical School MHH, D 30625, Hannover, Germany
Injury 34:674-83. 2003..Therefore, enormous efforts in financing, basic research and quality management have been undertaken during recent years to create such a sophisticated rescue system...
- Effect of celecoxib and dexamethasone on postoperative pain after lumbar disc surgeryMatthias Karst
Department of Anesthesiology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Neurosurgery 53:331-6; discussion 336-7. 2003..This study was designed to assess the efficacy of perioperative administration of celecoxib (Celebrex; Pharmacia GmbH, Erlangen, Germany) in reducing pain and opioid requirements after single-level lumbar microdiscectomy...
- Automation in urodynamicsK Hofner
Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Eur Urol 34:38-9. 1998..The definition of PURR and its classification in CHESS are ideal procedures for a computer which simplifies the process...