- [Hypoglycemia and cardiac arrhythmia in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2]M Hanefeld
Studienzentrum Prof Hanefeld, GWT TUD GmbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307, Dresden, Deutschland
Herz 39:312-9. 2014..Targets for glucose control and HbA1c have to be individualized and the choice of drugs must be risk-adjusted. Risk of hypoglycemia should be used as guide in decision-making for safe treatment of diabetes. ..
- Hypoglycemia and Cardiovascular Risk: Is There a Major Link?Markolf Hanefeld
Study Centre Professor Hanefeld, GWT TU Dresden GmbH, Dresden, Germany Medical Clinic III, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 39:S205-9. 2016..Other preexisting cardiovascular risk factors in addition to hypoglycemia may be the major link to the final cardiovascular event, but a low blood glucose level can trigger these events in patients with a high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Differences in Glycemic Variability Between Normoglycemic and Prediabetic SubjectsMarkolf Hanefeld
Study Centre Prof Hanefeld, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 8:286-290. 2014..SD and MAGE was significantly higher for subjects with AGT. I Impaired glucose homeostasis a better characterizes degree of AGTe than HbA1c and 75 g OGTT...
- Effects of the dual peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α/γ agonist aleglitazar on renal function in patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease and type 2 diabetes: a Phase IIb, randomized studyLuis Ruilope
Hospital 12 de Octubre, Clinical Science, Madrid, Spain
BMC Nephrol 15:180. 2014..This Phase IIb safety study (AleNephro) in patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease and type 2 diabetes, evaluated the renal effects of aleglitazar, a balanced peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α/γ agonist...
- Lixisenatide treatment for older patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus uncontrolled on oral antidiabetics: meta-analysis of five randomized controlled trialsMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT TUD, Study Centre Prof Hanefeld, Dresden Technical University, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Adv Ther 31:861-72. 2014..Evaluate the efficacy and safety of lixisenatide, a once-daily prandial glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, in older patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) insufficiently controlled on oral antidiabetics (OADs)...
- Pioglitazone and sulfonylureas: effectively treating type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Int J Clin Pract Suppl . 2007....
- Relationship between hypoglycemic episodes and ventricular arrhythmias in patients with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases: silent hypoglycemias and silent arrhythmiasAnnett Stahn
Corresponding author Markolf Hanefeld
Diabetes Care 37:516-20. 2014..To evaluate the risk of critical arrhythmias related to glycemic variability, we carried out an observational study in type 2 diabetes patients with CVD...
- Cardiac implications of hypoglycaemia in patients with diabetes - a systematic reviewMarkolf Hanefeld
Study Centre Professor Hanefeld, GWT, TU Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 12:135. 2013..This review aims to summarize the available data on how hypoglycaemia may affect CV risk in patients with diabetes...
- The role of co-morbidity in the selection of antidiabetic pharmacotherapy in type-2 diabetesDiethelm Tschöpe
Herz und Diabeteszentrum Nordrhein Westfalen in Bad Oeynhausen, Universitätsklinik der Ruhr Universität, Bochum, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 12:62. 2013..We postulate that differential use of antidiabetic drugs in patients with co-morbid disease constellations will help to reduce treatment related complications and might improve prognosis...
- Structured health care for subjects with diabetic foot ulcers results in a reduction of major amputation ratesMatthias Weck
Department of Diabetes, Interdisciplinary Diabetic Foot Unit, Weisseritztal Kliniken, Freital, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 12:45. 2013..We tested the effects of structured health care for the diabetic foot in one region in Germany aiming to reduce the number of major amputations...
- Insulin use early in the course of type 2 diabetes mellitus: the ORIGIN trialMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT TUD mbH, Study Center Professor Hanefeld, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 13:342-9. 2013..An ongoing long-term follow-up (ORIGINALE) will clarify whether this also translates into a reduction of macrovascular events and mortality...
- Effect of the addition of rosiglitazone to metformin or sulfonylureas versus metformin/sulfonylurea combination therapy on ambulatory blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial (the RECORD study)Michel Komajda
Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6 Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Cardiovasc Diabetol 7:10. 2008..We therefore used ambulatory BP to quantify BP lowering at 6-12 months with rosiglitazone used in combination with metformin or sulfonylureas compared to metformin and sulfonylureas in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Impact of the individual components of the metabolic syndrome and their different combinations on the prevalence of atherosclerotic vascular disease in type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) studyMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, TU Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:13. 2007..We aimed to answer this by evaluating the relationship, and its various combinations to AVD in comparison to single traits in a population-based study with type 2 diabetes in Germany...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of pioglitazone and/or simvastatin in high cardiovascular risk patients with elevated high sensitivity C-reactive protein: the PIOSTAT StudyMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT, Center for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:290-7. 2007....
- [History and definition(s) of metabolic syndrome]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT TUD GmbH, 01307, Fiedlerstrasse 34, Dresden, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 48:117-25. 2007..Thus, simple, collective diagnostics and therapy for this finely meshed group of diseases together with its risk factors is possible...
- Glycemic control and treatment failure with pioglitazone versus glibenclamide in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a 42-month, open-label, observational, primary care studyM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1211-5. 2006..It has been suggested that deteriorating glycemic control is related to baseline hemoglobin A(1c) (HbA(1c)) values and remaining beta-cell function...
- A one-year study comparing the efficacy and safety of rosiglitazone and glibenclamide in the treatment of type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17:13-23. 2007..This study was designed to compare the efficacy of rosiglitazone and glibenclamide in individuals with type 2 diabetes over a 12-month period...
- [The metabolic syndrome: where are we going and for what benefits?]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT, Technische Universität Dresden GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:S236-9. 2006..Building on a "common soil" for the disease components, optimal treatment can be provided and side effect as well as costs reduced...
- Effects of pioglitazone versus simvastatin on biomarkers of inflammation in patients on high cardiovascular riskM Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, TU Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 43:980-3. 2011..05). Our data suggest that the previously observed correlation between elevated circulating fetuin-A and hs-CRP in epidemiological studies may not reflect a causal relationship in nondiabetic patients on high cardiovascular risk...
- Cardiovascular benefits and safety profile of acarbose therapy in prediabetes and established type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:20. 2007....
- Acarbose: oral anti-diabetes drug with additional cardiovascular benefitsMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 6:153-63. 2008..It can be given alone or in combination with other oral antidiabetics and insulin. Acarbose is particularly effective in those with IGT and early diabetes and patients with comorbidities of the metabolic syndrome...
- Effect of acarbose on vascular disease in patients with abnormal glucose toleranceMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 22:225-31. 2008..This is associated with pleiotropic effects on a broad spectrum of cardiovascular (CV) risk factors: reduction of overweight, lowering of blood pressure, triglycerides, hsCRP, fibrinogen and other biomarkers of low grade inflammation...
- Metabolic syndrome and its single traits as risk factors for diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trialMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT TUD GmbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 6:32-7. 2009..5 in those without MetS. In conclusion, most single traits and overall MetS label a very high-risk group in people with IGT. People with MetS reach a NNT to prevent development of new diabetes with acarbose of 5.8...
- Effect of acarbose on postmeal mononuclear blood cell response in patients with early type 2 diabetes: the AI(I)DA studyM Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, GWT Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:132-6. 2009..Postprandial metabolic and inflammatory parameters were strongly interrelated. These results suggest pleiotropic effects of acarbose, which may contribute to its vasoprotective potentials...
- [Glycemic control and cardiovascular benefit: What do we know today?]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 135:301-7. 2010..This, in turn, requires a growing body of evidence from large, long-term outcome trials - but appropriate data are still unavailable for the vast majority of antidiabetic drugs...
- Effect of targeting normal fasting glucose levels with basal insulin glargine on glycaemic variability and risk of hypoglycaemia: a randomized, controlled study in patients with early Type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
GWT TUD GmbH, Center for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Germany
Diabet Med 27:175-80. 2010....
- Double-blind, randomized, multicentre, and active comparator controlled investigation of the effect of pioglitazone, metformin, and the combination of both on cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving stable basal insulin therapy: theMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT TUD mbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:65. 2011..We analyzed specific effects of an add-on therapy with pioglitazone compared to metformin and their combination in patients with basal insulin treatment on biomarkers of CV risk...
- [Metabolic syndrome: "common soil" for diabetes and atherosclerosis. Novel approaches to an integrated therapy]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien der GWT TUD GmbH, Fiedlerstrasse 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Herz 31:246-54; quiz 255. 2006..The strategy using synergies in drug treatment can reduce polypharmacy and costs and improve the patients' compliance...
- [Screening, prevention and early therapy of type 2 diabetics]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Stoffwechsel und Endokrinologie, Dresden
MMW Fortschr Med 146:28-9, 31. 2004..The observation that statins, ACE inhibitors and AT1 blockers also contributed to a reduction of new diabetes cases was made in studies on the prevention of coronary heart diseases...
- [Postprandial hyperglycemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Therapy improves prognosis]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Gesellschaft für Wissens und Technologietransfer der TU Dresden mbH, Dresden, Deutschland
Herz 29:480-7. 2004..Thus control of the glucose trias-HbA(1c), postprandial and fasting plasma glucoses is essentially practice in patients with cardiovascular disease...
- Outcome studies in type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 21:S41-8. 2005....
- Effects of pioglitazone and/or simvastatin on low density lipoprotein subfractions in non-diabetic patients with high cardiovascular risk: A sub-analysis from the PIOSTAT studyWolfgang Leonhardt
Center for Clinical Studies, GWT TU Dresden GmbH, Germany
Atherosclerosis 201:155-62. 2008..So far, only scarce information exists for comparative efficacy and possible synergistic effects of combination therapy on LDL subfractions, cholesterol particle load, and particle number of atherogenic small dense LDL...
- Acarbose slows progression of intima-media thickness of the carotid arteries in subjects with impaired glucose toleranceMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Dresden Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Stroke 35:1073-8. 2004..This article reports on a placebo-controlled subgroup analysis of the STOP-NIDDM study to examine the efficacy of acarbose to slow progression of intima-media thickness (IMT) in subjects with IGT...
- Impact of glucagon response on postprandial hyperglycemia in men with impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes mellitusElena Henkel
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Metabolism 54:1168-73. 2005..Prospective studies are needed to evaluate the impact of glucagon on the progression of glucose intolerance and the possible effects of medicinal suppression of glucagon increment to prevent the progression of glucose tolerance...
- Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity pattern is different in isolated impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose: the risk factor in Impaired Glucose Tolerance for Atherosclerosis and Diabetes studyMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Gesellschaft für Wissens und Technologietransfer, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 26:868-74. 2003..This study compared both categories with respect to the degree of insulin secretion abnormalities and insulin resistance...
- In type 2 diabetes, rosiglitazone therapy for insulin resistance ameliorates endothelial dysfunction independent of glucose controlFrank Pistrosch
Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:484-90. 2004..Conceivably, endothelial dysfunction could be involved. Therefore, we asked whether therapy for insulin resistance ameliorates any endothelial dysfunction...
- Treatment of impaired glucose tolerance with acarbose and its effect on intima-media thickness: a substudy of the STOP-NIDDM trial (study to prevent non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)Markolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Endocr Pract 12:56-9. 2006..To discuss the influence of glucose excursions on intima-media thickness (IMT) and the potential benefits of treatment to reduce or reverse its effects on cardiovascular risk...
- Once-daily sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 23:1329-39. 2007..Additionally, the glycemic response to sitagliptin 100 mg daily was evaluated as a once-daily (100 mg once-daily) or twice-daily (50 mg twice-daily) dosing regimen...
- One-year glycemic control with a sulfonylurea plus pioglitazone versus a sulfonylurea plus metformin in patients with type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:141-7. 2004..The goal was to assess the 1-year efficacy and safety of the addition of pioglitazone or metformin to existing sulfonylurea (SU) therapy in patients with inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes...
- Subclinical inflammation is strongly related to insulin resistance but not to impaired insulin secretion in a high risk population for diabetesT Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Metabolism 51:743-9. 2002....
- Relationship between diurnal blood pressure variation and diurnal blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetic patientsFrank Pistrosch
Department of Medicine, Nephrology, University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
Am J Hypertens 20:541-5. 2007..We therefore investigated the relationship between diurnal hyperglycemia and diurnal blood pressure (BP) variation in patients...
- Glucagon as a determinant of fibrinolytic activity in men with different stages of glucose tolerance: impact of glucagon on fibrinolysisElena Henkel
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, GWT TU Dresden, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 18:327-34. 2007..05). Besides the already established determinants, we found an independent association between glucagon and fibrinolysis in NGT. Further studies are needed to identify the link between glucagon, insulin resistance and hemostasis...
- Insulin-resistant patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus have higher serum leptin levels independently of body fat massS Fischer
Institute of Clinical Metabolic Research, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, University of Technology Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 39:105-10. 2002..Our data point to a functional relationship between insulin resistance and leptin concentrations in insulin-resistant type 2 diabetic men, independently of body composition. This relationship is believed to be mediated by insulin...
- Different effects of acarbose and glibenclamide on proinsulin and insulin profiles in people with Type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies GWT TU Dresden, Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 55:221-7. 2002..In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, we compared the effect of acarbose (A) and glibenclamide (G) on post-prandial (pp) and 24-h profiles of proinsulin and insulin...
- Conversion of IGT to type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with incident cases of hypertension: a post-hoc analysis of the STOP-NIDDM trialMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
J Hypertens 30:1440-3. 2012..However, there is little information available about the relationship between incidence of hypertension and a deterioration of glucose tolerance from impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) to diabetes...
- Ala12Ala genotype of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 protects against atherosclerosisTheodora Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Center for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4238-42. 2004..In conclusion, our data suggest that the Ala(12)Ala genotype of the PPARgamma2 gene may protect from early atherosclerosis in subjects at risk for diabetes...
- The role of pioglitazone in modifying the atherogenic lipoprotein profileM Hanefeld
GWT TUD GmbH, Centre for Clinical Studies, Department of Metabolic Research and Endocrinology, Dresden Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:742-56. 2009..The antidyslipidaemic effects of pioglitazone--in particular, improvements in HDL-C and reduction of small dense LDL3--may have contributed to these effects...
- [Glucose-independent impact of the glitazones on the cardiovascular outcome]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, TU Dresden
MMW Fortschr Med 147:37-9. 2005..The first results from the PROactive study--the design of which, together with the data at study begin have already been published--are expected to become available by the end of 2005...
- Elevated fasting glucose levels predicts IGT and diabetes also in middle-age subjectsPeter E H Schwarz
Department of Endocrinopathies and Metabolic Diseases, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:148-50. 2007..We therefore conclude that elevated fasting glucose levels in the "IFG" category predict the development of IGT/diabetes in a middle-age population...
- Leukocyte count and fibrinogen are associated with carotid and femoral intima-media thickness in a risk population for diabetesTheodora Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 56:277-83. 2002....
- [The metabolic syndrome and its epidemiologic dimensions in historical perspective]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT, TU Dresden
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 96:183-8. 2002..Today the metabolic syndrome is--and for the near future will continue to be--the most important source of new diabetics, as well as a major cause of coronary heart disease...
- Evaluation of a diabetes management system based on practice guidelines, integrated care, and continuous quality management in a Federal State of Germany: a population-based approach to health care researchUlrike Rothe
Institute for Medical Informatics and Biometrics, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 31:863-8. 2008..The SDMP was implemented into diabetes contracts between health insurance providers, general practitioners (GPs), and diabetes specialized practitioners (DSPs) unified in the Saxon association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians...
- Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with progression toward type 2 diabetes and genetic variation in the ADIPOQ gene promoterPeter E H Schwarz
Department of Endocrinopathies and Metabolic Diseases, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Medical Clinic III, Building 46, Room 10, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01309, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 29:1645-50. 2006..The aim of the current study was to investigate whether ADIPOQ gene variants in the promoter region predict adiponectin levels and type 2 diabetes progression...
- Risk of and risk factors for hypoglycemia and associated arrhythmias in patients with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease: a cohort study under real-world conditionsFrank Pistrosch
Medizinische Klinik III, Universitatsklinik Carl Gustav Carus, Fetscherstr 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 52:889-95. 2015..Our study addressed the question whether there is a relationship between hypoglycemic events (HE) and severe cardiac arrhythmias in type 2 diabetic patients with established clinical risk factors under real-world conditions...
- [Multimodal therapy of dyslipidemia]Annett Stahn
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Fiedlerstraße 34, Dresden, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol Suppl 6:10-6. 2011..In the future a recommendation for the treatment of mixed hyperlipoproteinemia with decreased HDL, raised triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol shall have to be added to our guidelines...
- The lipid triad in type 2 diabetes - prevalence and relevance of hypertriglyceridaemia/low high-density lipoprotein syndrome in type 2 diabetesT Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:75-9. 2004..Postprandial HTG was also shown to be correlated with increased IMT in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Acarbose reduces the risk for myocardial infarction in type 2 diabetic patients: meta-analysis of seven long-term studiesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT, Technical University of Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:10-6. 2004..To assess if treatment with the alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarbose can reduce cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Comparison of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome by WHO, AHA/NHLBI, and IDF definitions in a German population with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) StudyC Koehler
Centre for Clinical Study, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:632-5. 2007..Four-thousand and twenty participants as a cross section of daily practice of diabetes care in Germany (238 unselected sites) were included in the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) study...
- Effects of the alpha glucosidase inhibitor acarbose on endothelial function after a mixed meal in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetesF Pistrosch
Department of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:104-8. 2009..Early type 2 diabetes is a state of both fasting and postprandial ED, which is not sensitive to acarbose treatment. Protective cardiovascular effects of acarbose might involve other mechanisms...
- Relationship between diurnal glucose levels and HbA1c in type 2 diabetesF Pistrosch
Nephrology, Dept of Medicine, University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:455-9. 2006..The areas under the curve above fasting BG (AUC1) and above 5.6 mmol/l (AUC2) were calculated for further evaluation. Hb (A1c) was measured at baseline and after a mean of 89 (74 to 108) days...
- The metabolic vascular syndrome - guide to an individualized treatmentMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT TU Dresden GmbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 17:5-17. 2016..with over- and malnutrition, low physical activity and social stress as a common soil. ..
- Oral glucose tolerance test: to be or not to be performed?Theodora S Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Science and Technology Transfer, Centre for Clinical Studies, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Clin Lab 48:143-52. 2002..Since an OGTT cannot be generally conducted, we recommend its performance in risk subjects and especially in elderly women. This would make it possible to institute preventive measures...
- Control of post-prandial hyperglycemia--an essential part of good diabetes treatment and prevention of cardiovascular complicationsM Hanefeld
Center of Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 12:98-107. 2002..This article reviews the relationship between the control of post-prandial hyperglycemia and diabetes-related complications...
- The effects of orlistat on body weight and glycaemic control in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialM Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT Technische Universität Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 4:415-23. 2002..To assess the long-term effects of orlistat on body weight, glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Determinants of mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes: a reviewJana Engelmann
Health Sciences Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, TUD, Fetscherstraße 74, D 01307, Dresden, Germany
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 17:129-37. 2016..The following databases were searched for relevant trials: PubMed and the Cochrane Library. Of 3.806 citations, 134 trials met our inclusion criteria...
- Hypoglycemia and Cardiovascular Disease: Lessons from Outcome StudiesFrank Pistrosch
Study Center Professor Hanefeld, GWT TU Dresden GmbH, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 15:117. 2015....
- Predictors of response to early basal insulin treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes--the EARLY experienceMarkolf Hanefeld
1 Study Centre Professor Hanefeld, Company for the Transfer of Knowledge and Technology of the Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 16:241-6. 2014..5% (58 mmol/mol) at baseline despite 3 months of maximum tolerated dose of metformin under daily conditions...
- Polymorphisms in perilipin gene (PLIN) are not associated with obesity and weight variation in people with high risk of type 2 diabetesA Bergmann
Health Care Centre of Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:S56-8. 2008..But some other studies showed that, this association was not significant in Chinese and French . The aim of the current study was to examine whether the associations manifested in a German population with high risk of type 2 diabetes...
- An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitusM Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Pharmacol Ther 121:317-31. 2009..Lastly, important efforts to halt disease progression with emphasis on beta-cell regeneration are presented...
- Effect of the angiotensin II receptor antagonist valsartan on lipid profile and glucose metabolism in patients with hypertensionM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Research, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
J Int Med Res 29:270-9. 2001..In conclusion, in addition to the marked decrease in blood pressure, valsartan significantly reduces total and LDL cholesterol levels and is neutral on glucose metabolism...
- Intima-media thickness and atherosclerotic plaques in familial defective apolipoprotein B-100 and familial hypercholesterolemiaM Kaiser
Center for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 967:528-34. 2002..Thus, the aim of this study was to examine the IMT in patients with FDB in comparison to FH. Our data indicate that IMT in FDB does not differ from IMT in FH...
- [Intima-media thickness in healthy probands without risk factors for arteriosclerosis]T Temelkova-Kurktschiev
, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, ,
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 126:193-7. 2001..For women, aged 40-54 years, IMT is defined as pathological if one IMT is above 0.85 mm, and for those aged 55-70 years if IMT exceeds 1 mm...
- Postprandial glucose regulation: new data and new implicationsLawrence A Leiter
St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Clin Ther 27:S42-56. 2005..However, physicians continue to rely on fasting plasma glucose (FPG) and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) to guide management...
- Prandial insulin substitution with insulin lispro or insulin lispro mid mixture vs. basal therapy with insulin glargine: a randomized controlled trial in patients with type 2 diabetes beginning insulin therapyChristof Kazda
Lilly Deutschland GmbH, Bad Homburg, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 20:145-52. 2006..To compare the effects of prandial insulin therapy focusing on postprandial glucose control vs. basal insulin therapy focusing on fasting glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Prandial hyperglycemia: is it important to track and treat?Markolf Hanefeld
Centre of Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse, Dresden 34 01307, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 5:333-9. 2005..Prospective trials have demonstrated that strict control of postprandial hyperglycemia reduces the incidence of cardiovascular events...
- Postprandial hyperglycaemia and cardiovascular complications of diabetes: an updateAntonio Ceriello
Clinical Science Research Institute, Clinical Science Building, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16:453-6. 2006..Therefore, in addition to HbA1c and FPG, physicians should consider monitoring and targeting PPG in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Fluctuations in glycaemia in clinical diabetes mellitus type 2 are not associated with carotid intima-media thickeningKatharina Karrei
Diab Vasc Dis Res 1:51-2. 2004
- Acarbose for prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: the STOP-NIDDM randomised trialJean Louis Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hotel Dieu, Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Lancet 359:2072-7. 2002..The worldwide increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus is becoming a major health concern. We aimed to assess the effect of acarbose in preventing or delaying conversion of impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes...
- Guideline for management of postmeal glucoseAntonio Ceriello
Warwick Medical School, Clinical Science Research Institute, Clinical Science Building, University Hospital Walsgrave Campus, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:S17-33. 2008..This guideline reviews the evidence on the harmful effects of elevated postmeal glucose and makes recommendations on its treatment, assessment and targets...
- Natural history of cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes: role of hyperglycemiaZvonko Milicevic
Eli Lilly Regional Operations, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Care 31:S155-60. 2008..Based on the results of epidemiological reports, the most appropriate targets in interventional trials are postprandial hyperglycemia or A1C...
- Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trialJean Louis Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôtel Dieu and Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 290:486-94. 2003..The worldwide explosive increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus and its cardiovascular morbidity are becoming major health concerns...
- Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes--an interim analysisPhilip D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 357:28-38. 2007..A recent meta-analysis raised concern regarding an increased risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes associated with rosiglitazone treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- [In high risk for diabetes should drugs be used for prevention? (interview by Dr. Judith Neumaier)]Markolf Hanefeld
MMW Fortschr Med 144:12. 2002
- Postprandial glucose regulation and diabetic complicationsAntonio Ceriello
Department of Pathology and Medicine Experimental and Clinical, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Arch Intern Med 164:2090-5. 2004..The present review examines the hypothesis that controlling postprandial glucose level is an important strategy in the prevention of cardiovascular complications associated with diabetes...
- In vivo evidence for increased oxidation of circulating LDL in impaired glucose toleranceSteffi Kopprasch
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Carl Gustav Carus Medical School, University of Technology Dresden, Germany
Diabetes 51:3102-6. 2002..OxLDL increase may explain the high atherogenic potency of dyslipidemia in the prediabetic state...
- Effect of simvastatin and/or pioglitazone on insulin resistance, insulin secretion, adiponectin, and proinsulin levels in nondiabetic patients at cardiovascular risk--the PIOSTAT StudyThomas Forst
Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Medical Department, D 55116 Mainz, Germany
Metabolism 56:491-6. 2007..05) during PIO/SIM treatment. Lipid parameters improved during SIM treatment but not during PIO treatment. Combined treatment with PIO/SIM was superior in improving overall cardiovascular risk profile than every single drug...
- Association of the calpain-10 gene with type 2 diabetes in Europeans: results of pooled and meta-analysesTakafumi Tsuchiya
Departments of Medicine and Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC1027, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Genet Metab 89:174-84. 2006..68 (1.33-2.11), P=0.00001). The pooled and meta-analyses as well as the linkage disequilibrium and haplotype diversity studies suggest a role for genetic variation in CAPN10 affecting risk of T2D in Europeans...
- Introduction: new approaches to managing diabetic dyslipidaemiaMarkolf Hanefeld
Atheroscler Suppl 6:1-2. 2005
- The effect of glucose variability on the risk of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetesLouis Monnier
Diabetes Care 30:185-6; author reply 187-8. 2007
- The effect of darapladib on plasma lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 activity and cardiovascular biomarkers in patients with stable coronary heart disease or coronary heart disease risk equivalent: the results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blEmile R Mohler
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1632-41. 2008..This study examined the effects of darapladib, a selective lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) (Lp-PLA(2)) inhibitor, on biomarkers of cardiovascular (CV) risk...
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors for patients with type 2 diabetes: response to van de Laar et alMarkolf Hanefeld
Diabetes Care 28:1840; author reply 1841. 2005