Affiliation: German Cancer Research Center
- Randomized, controlled trial of resistance training in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant radiotherapy: results on cancer-related fatigue and quality of lifeK Steindorf
Division of Preventive Oncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ and National Center for Tumor Diseases NCT, Heidelberg
Ann Oncol 25:2237-43. 2014..We conducted a randomized, controlled trial (BEST study) to assess the efficacy of 12-week resistance training on fatigue beyond possible psychosocial effects of a group-based intervention...
- Physical activity and risk of breast cancer overall and by hormone receptor status: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutritionKaren Steindorf
Unit of Physical Activity and Cancer, Divisions of Environmental Epidemiology and Preventive Oncology, German Cancer Research Center, DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 132:1667-78. 2013..Heterogeneities by receptor status indicate hormone-related mechanisms...
- Prospective study on physical activity and risk of in situ breast cancerKaren Steindorf
Unit of Physical Activity and Cancer, Divisions of Environmental Epidemiology and Preventive Oncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 21:2209-19. 2012..Physical activity has been identified as protective factor for invasive breast cancer risk, whereas comparable studies on in situ carcinoma are rare...
- Case-control study of lifetime occupational and recreational physical activity and risks of colon and rectal cancerK Steindorf
Unit of Environmental Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:363-71. 2005..These data support an inverse association of colon cancer risk and physical activity which is most expressed if activity is kept up throughout life...
- Physical activity and lung cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition CohortKaren Steindorf
Unit of Environmental Epidemiology, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 119:2389-97. 2006..It can be assumed that the elevated risks found for occupational physical activity are not produced mechanistically by physical activity itself but rather reflect exposure to occupation-related lung cancer risk factors...
- Determinants of sports, cycling, walking and overall leisure-time physical activity among postmenopausal women in GermanyKaren Steindorf
Unit of Environmental Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Centre, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Public Health Nutr 13:1905-14. 2010..Nevertheless, many women in Germany are insufficiently physically active. Activity promotion programmes should target women in particular need. Thus, we examined subject-related determinants of PA for postmenopausal women in Germany...
- [Effects of physical activity on cancer risk and disease progression after cancer diagnosis]K Steindorf
AG Bewegung und Krebs, Umweltepidemiologie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 55:10-6. 2012..For disease-specific and total mortality, clinical studies are not yet available. However, preliminary observational studies with breast, colon, and prostate cancer patients show risk reductions...
- Combined risk assessment of physical activity and dietary habits on the development of colorectal cancer. A hospital-based case-control study in PolandK Steindorf
Unit of Environmental Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Cancer Prev 9:309-16. 2000..61, 95% CI 0.29-1.29) and both activities combined acted as independent protective factors. The protective effect of healthy nutrition appeared to be independent from that attributed to physical effort...
- Effects of 12-week resistance training during radiotherapy in breast cancer patientsJ Wiskemann
Division of Medical Oncology, National Center for Tumor Diseases and Heidelberg University Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Scand J Med Sci Sports . 2016..PRT was efficacious in increasing upper and lower limb strength in BC patients undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy. Patients with restrictions due to breast cancer-related surgery and pretreated with chemotherapy might benefit the most...
- [Physiologic and molecular mechanisms linking physical activity to cancer risk and progression]C M Ulrich
Abteilung Präventive Onkologie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum und Nationales Centrum für Tumorerkrankungen, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 55:3-9. 2012..Randomized controlled studies with biomarker measurements are essential to increase evidence for causality and to identify the most effective intervention strategies and pharmacologic targets...
- Quantitative cancer risk assessment for dioxins using an occupational cohortH Becher
German Cancer Research Center, Division of Epidemiology, Heidelberg, Germany
Environ Health Perspect 106:663-70. 1998..Uncertainties regarding the dose-response function remain. These data did not indicate the existence of a threshold value; however, such a value cannot be excluded with any certainty...