Affiliation: Friedrich Schiller University
- Methodological problems in FMRI studies on acupuncture: a critical review with special emphasis on visual and auditory cortex activationsFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Neuroradiology, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt, Germany
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011:607637. 2011..Finally, we try to offer solutions for these problems where possible...
- Advances in functional magnetic resonance imaging of the human brainstemFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Jena, Germany Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA, USA Electronic address
Neuroimage 86:91-8. 2014..This allowed us to identify for the first time intrinsic connectivity networks in the human brainstem and to map brainstem-cortical connectivity purely based on functionally defined regions of interest. ..
- fMRI of the brainstem using dual-echo EPIFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, Clinic of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Neuroimage 55:1593-9. 2011..5mm pre-smoothing. All these methods can be recommended for normalization and smoothing when analyzing fMRI data of the brainstem acquired by cardiac-gated dual-echo EPI...
- Acupuncture--deep pain with an autonomic dimension?Florian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, University Hospital of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Jena, Germany
Neuroimage 60:653-60. 2012..Our findings indicate that acupuncture may be a special pain stimulus, whose autonomic concomitants could explain its non-analgesic effects and in some cases even have a therapeutic potential...
- The autonomic brain: an activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis for central processing of autonomic functionFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Jena University Hospital, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Neurosci 33:10503-11. 2013..Hence, central processing of autonomic function does not simply involve a monolithic network of brain regions, instead showing elements of task and division specificity...
- Placebo-induced somatic sensations: a multi-modal study of three different placebo interventionsFlorian Beissner
Somatosensory and Autonomic Therapy Research, Institute of Neuroradiology, Hannover Medical School, 30625, Hannover, Germany Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA, 02129, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0124808. 2015..As multiple somatosensory subsystems are involved despite the lack of peripheral stimulus, we propose a central etiology for this phenomenon...
- Dual-echo EPI for non-equilibrium fMRI - implications of different echo combinations and masking proceduresFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Frankfurt, Germany Department of Neurology, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Neuroimage 52:524-31. 2010..This method was most beneficial in areas close to the surface of the brain or adjacent to the ventricles and may be especially relevant to brainstem fMRI...
- Brain Circuitry Supporting Multi-Organ Autonomic Outflow in Response to NauseaRoberta Sclocco
Department of Radiology, Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA, USA Department of Electronics, Information and Bioengineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Cereb Cortex 26:485-97. 2016..Autonomic outflow and the central autonomic network underlying ANS response to nausea may be an important determinant of overall nausea intensity and, ultimately, a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Forgotten features of head zones and their relation to diagnostically relevant acupuncture pointsFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Goethe University, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011:240653. 2011..Furthermore, the fact that Chinese medicine uses Mu and Shu points not only diagnostically but also therapeutically may give us new insights into the underlying mechanisms of acupuncture...