Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Frankfurt am Main
- Novel drugs in clinical development for hepatocellular carcinomaOliver Waidmann
Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Medizinische Klinik 1, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt am Main, Germany 49 0 69 6301 7860 49 0 69 6301 6448
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 24:1075-82. 2015..Within recent years, several investigational agents mainly targeting angiogenesis failed in late-phase clinical development either due to toxicity or lack of benefit...
- Tivantinib in hepatocellular carcinomaJorg Trojan
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Medizinische Klinik 1, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 22:141-7. 2013..Tivantinib (ARQ 197) is a selective, oral MET receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor with broad-spectrum antitumor activity as single agent and in combination in preclinical studies including several MET overexpressing cell lines...
- Treatment of HCV infection with interferon alpha-2b and ribavirin in a patient with X-linked lymphoproliferative syndromeNicola Strnad-Trojan
Department of Paediatrics, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Centre, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 165:348-50. 2006..After combination treatment with interferon alpha-2b and ribavirin, clearance of HCV-RNA was achieved, and noteworthily, EBV DNA also became undetectable...
- An infected esophageal duplication cyst in a patient with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma mimicking persistent diseaseJ Trojan
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Centre, Frankfurt, Germany
Dis Esophagus 18:287-9. 2005..Thus, this report further demonstrated the impact of EUS and EUS-FNA for management of posterior mediastinal cystic lesions in selected cases...
- In vitro chemosensitivity to gemcitabine, oxaliplatin and zoledronic acid predicts treatment response in metastatic gastric cancerJorg Trojan
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Center, Frankfurt, Germany
Anticancer Drugs 16:87-91. 2005..An initially existing disseminated intravascular coagulopathy quickly resolved and after 6 months of treatment on ongoing complete response was induced, thus confirming the results of in vitro chemosensitivity testing...
- BAX and caspase-5 frameshift mutations and spontaneous apoptosis in colorectal cancer with microsatellite instabilityJoerg Trojan
2nd Department of Medicine and Senckenberg Center of Pathology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Center, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt a M, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:538-44. 2004..The aim of this study was to further characterize the role of BAX and cas-5 inactivation for spontaneous apoptosis...
- Serum microRNA-1 and microRNA-122 are prognostic markers in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaVerena Köberle
Department of Medicine I, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Cancer 49:3442-9. 2013..Extracellular microRNAs (miRNAs) circulating in the blood are a new class of highly promising disease markers...
- Long-term follow-up of endoscopic therapy in stenosis of the bilio-biliary anastomosis associated with orthotopic liver transplantationJörg G Albert
Department of Medicine I, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Liver Transpl . 2013..ABS might occur late (>36 months) after OLT and life-long follow-up is essential in OLT patients to identify patients with ABS. © 2013 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases...
- A novel, stiff-shaft, flexible-tip guidewire for cannulation of biliary stricture during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a randomized trialJörg G Albert
Department of Medicine 1, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Endoscopy 46:857-61. 2014..The aim of this study was to assess the success of stricture cannulation using a combination of a flexible guidewire and a stable nitinol wire vs. a novel, single, stiff-shaft, flexible-tip guidewire...
- Transient mismatch repair gene transfection for functional analysis of genetic hMLH1 and hMSH2 variantsA Brieger
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Gut 51:677-84. 2002..Germline mutations in the mismatch repair (MMR) genes hMLH1 and hMSH2 can cause hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC). However, the functional in vitro analysis of hMLH1 and hMSH2 mutations remains difficult...
- No Distal Migration in Unfixed Versus Fixed Cell Structure Covered Self-Expanding Metal Stents for Treatment of Benign Biliary DiseaseDirk Walter
Department of Internal Medicine I, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt, Germany
Dig Dis Sci 60:2495-501. 2015..Fully covered self-expandable metal stents (FCSEMS) are increasingly used for treatment of benign common bile duct (CBD) stricture or leakage, but dislodgement of FCSEMS is frequent...
- SEMS vs cSEMS in duodenal and small bowel obstruction: high risk of migration in the covered stent groupOliver Waidmann
Oliver Waidmann, Jörg Trojan, Mireen Friedrich Rust, Christoph Sarrazin, Stefan Zeuzem, Jörg Gerhard Albert, Medizinische Klinik 1, Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 19:6199-206. 2013..To compare clinical success and complications of uncovered self-expanding metal stents (SEMS) vs covered SEMS (cSEMS) in obstruction of the small bowel...
- Expression defect size among unclassified MLH1 variants determines pathogenicity in Lynch syndrome diagnosisInga Hinrichsen
Medizinische Klinik 1, Biomedical Research Laboratory, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 19:2432-41. 2013..The functionality of these variants can be tested in the laboratory, but the results cannot be used for clinical diagnosis. We therefore aimed to establish a laboratory test that can be applied clinically...
- Feasibility of global miRNA analysis from fine-needle biopsy FFPE material in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma treated with sorafenibJan Peveling-Oberhag
Medizinische Klinik 1, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Clin Sci (Lond) 128:29-37. 2015....
- Transarterial chemoembolization of unresectable systemic chemotherapy-refractory liver metastases from colorectal cancer: long-term results over a 10-year periodTatjana Gruber-Rouh
Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Int J Cancer 134:1225-31. 2014..TN stage, extrahepatic metastases, number of lesions, tumor location within the liver and choice of chemotherapy protocol of TACE are none significant factors for patient's survival. ..
- Diagnostic and prognostic significance of cell death and macrophage activation markers in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaOliver Waidmann
Medizinische Klinik 1, Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Klinikum der Goethe Universität, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany Electronic address
J Hepatol 59:769-79. 2013..However, their diagnostic and prognostic potential in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) has not yet been investigated...
- Long-term follow-up of endoscopic therapy for stenosis of the biliobiliary anastomosis associated with orthotopic liver transplantationJörg G Albert
Department of Medicine I, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Liver Transpl 19:586-93. 2013..ABSs might occur late (>36 months) after OLT, and lifelong follow-up is essential for identifying OLT patients with ABSs...
- MUTYH gene expression and alternative splicing in controls and polyposis patientsGuido Plotz
Biomedical Research Laboratory, Medizinische Klinik 1, Klinik der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
Hum Mutat 33:1067-74. 2012..Since this alteration decreases protein production of the gene, an increased cancer risk for compound heterozygous carriers is possible...
- Cytoskeletal scaffolding proteins interact with Lynch-Syndrome associated mismatch repair protein MLH1Angela Brieger
Medical Clinic I, Biomedical Research Laboratory, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Proteomics 10:3343-55. 2010..Our data suggest novel roles of MLH1 in cellular organization and colorectal cancerogenesis...
- Limited value of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose PET for the differential diagnosis of focal liver lesions in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionO Schroder
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Nuklearmedizin 37:279-85. 1998..The differentiation of HCC from liver metastasis or benign disorders by imaging studies based upon morphological aspects may be difficult...
- Frequency of the Amsterdam criteria in a regional German cohort of patients with colorectal cancerJ Raedle
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:561-8. 2002..However, the final diagnosis of HNPCC can only be established by detection of pathogenic germline mutations within the DNA mismatch repair genes...
- Bethesda guidelines: relation to microsatellite instability and MLH1 promoter methylation in patients with colorectal cancerJ Raedle
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Ann Intern Med 135:566-76. 2001..The Bethesda guidelines were established to identify patients with colorectal cancer who should be tested for microsatellite instability...
- Frequency of colorectal polyps in patients with sporadic adenomas or adenocarcinomas of the papilla of vater--an age-matched, controlled studyA R J Schneider
Medical Department I, University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 43:1123-7. 2005..Patients with familial adenomatous polyposis bear a particularly increased risk for periampullary tumors. Data on whether the prevalence of colorectal tumors is increased in patients with sporadic ampullary neoplasms are scarce...
- Serum microRNA-21 as marker for necroinflammation in hepatitis C patients with and without hepatocellular carcinomaVerena Bihrer
Department of Medicine I, University of Frankfurt M, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e26971. 2011..Here we correlated serum miR-21 levels with clinical parameters in patients with different stages of chronic hepatitis C virus infection (CHC) and CHC-associated HCC...
- Prevalence of colorectal cancer and its precursor lesions in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients undergoing total colonoscopy: results of a large prospective, multicenter, controlled endoscopy studyIrina Blumenstein
First Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:556-61. 2013..Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second most common cancer in Germany. Screening colonoscopies have been offered in Germany since 2002. However, validation of screening programs for CRC relies on estimates up to date...
- Nucleos(t)ide analogue treatment reduces apoptotic activity in patients with chronic hepatitis BHarald Farnik
Medizinische Klinik 1, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Haus 11, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
J Clin Virol 52:204-9. 2011..Reduction of necroinflammatory activity is a major goal of antiviral therapy of patients with chronic hepatitis B. Serum ALT does not detect all forms of cell death...
- Bevacizumab in Combination with Chemotherapy for Colorectal Brain MetastasisFabian Finkelmeier
Medizinische Klinik 1, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Gastrointest Cancer 47:82-8. 2016..Because of the potential fear of intracranial hemorrhage, patients with colorectal brain metastases have been excluded from clinical trials involving bevacizumab or aflibercept...
- Overexpression of the far upstream element binding protein 1 in hepatocellular carcinoma is required for tumor growthUta Rabenhorst
Chemotherapeutisches Forschungsinstitut Georg Speyer Haus, Frankfurt, Germany
Hepatology 50:1121-9. 2009....
- Transarterial chemoembolization in the treatment of patients with unresectable cholangiocarcinoma: Results and prognostic factors governing treatment successThomas J Vogl
Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Int J Cancer 131:733-40. 2012..In conclusion, TACE is a palliative and safe treatment option for patients with unresectable CCC. Child Pugh class B, tumor hypovascularity and initially progressive disease were poor prognostic factors for patient survival...
- hMutSalpha forms an ATP-dependent complex with hMutLalpha and hMutLbeta on DNAGuido Plotz
Second Department of Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 30:711-8. 2002..Purified hMutLalpha showed an intrinsic affinity for DNA, with a preference for single-stranded over double-stranded DNA...
- Diagnostics and Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in 2016: Standards and DevelopmentsJorg Trojan
Medizinische Klinik 1, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany Universitäres Leberzentrum, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Visc Med 32:116-20. 2016..Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a frequent complication of liver cirrhosis. Worldwide, HCC is one of the most common cancers, with a rising incidence...
- Role of regorafenib as second-line therapy and landscape of investigational treatment options in advanced hepatocellular carcinomaJorg Trojan
Medizinische Klinik 1, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Germany
J Hepatocell Carcinoma 3:31-36. 2016....
- Functional testing strategy for coding genetic variants of unclear significance in MLH1 in Lynch syndrome diagnosisInga Hinrichsen
Biomedical Research Laboratory, Department of Internal Medicine 1 and Department of Human Genetics, Universitatsklinikum Frankfurt, Frankfurt D 60590, Germany, Institute of Human Genetics, University of Bonn, Bonn D 53127, Germany and Department of Internal Medicine 1, Universitätsklinikum Frankfurt D 60590, Frankfurt, Germany
Carcinogenesis 36:202-11. 2015..Leu507Phe and p.Gln689Arg, and the results were consistent with available clinical data. We finally discuss the improved sensitivity and efficiency of the applied strategy and its limitations in analyzing unclear coding MLH1 variants. ..
- Neoadjuvant short- or long-term radio(chemo)therapy for rectal cancer: how and who should be treated?Claus Rodel
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Dig Dis 30:102-8. 2012..Clearly, future developments will aim at identifying and selecting patients for ideal treatment alternatives...
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma under daily practice conditionsM W Welker
Medizinische Klinik1, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Chemother 22:205-11. 2010..In conclusion, in daily practice sorafenib is safe and disease stabilization can be achieved in the majority of patients. However, intolerance to sorafenib can affect treatment adherence substantially...
- Role of ultrasonography in the detection of small adrenal massesJ Trojan
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Ultraschall Med 23:96-100. 2002..In this prospective study we evaluated whether adrenal gland masses of less or equal than 20 mm in diameter could be detected by modern abdominal ultrasonography (US)...
- A de novo deletion of chromosome 5q causing familial adenomatous polyposis, dysmorphic features, and mild mental retardationJ Raedle
2nd Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Human Genetics, University of Frankfurt/Main, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 96:3016-20. 2001..If the deletion encompasses the APC gene, these patients are at high risk of developing FAP and associated complications...
- A new immunological test strip device for the rapid, qualitative detection of faecal occult bloodJ Trojan
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:921-4. 2002....