Affiliation: Frankfurt am Main
- Incidence of myocardial infarctions in HIV-infected patients between 1983 and 1998: the Frankfurt HIV-cohort studyV Rickerts
Klinikum der J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt, Med Klinik III Infektiologie, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:329-33. 2000..To investigate whether the use of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) is associated with an increased incidence of myocardial infarctions (MI) in HIV infected patients...
- Cluster of pulmonary infections caused by Cunninghamella bertholletiae in immunocompromised patientsV Rickerts
Zentrum der Inneren Medizin, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 31:910-3. 2000..Presenting symptoms were fever unresponsive to antibacterial chemotherapy, hemoptysis, and infiltrates on chest radiograms. Three patients were treated with liposomal amphotericin B. Only 1 patient survived...
- Comparison of histopathological analysis, culture, and polymerase chain reaction assays to detect invasive mold infections from biopsy specimensVolker Rickerts
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 44:1078-83. 2007..However, tissue cultures often fail to grow a fungal pathogen in cases of suspected mold infection...
- Diagnosis of disseminated zygomycosis using a polymerase chain reaction assayV Rickerts
Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Medizinische Klinik III Infektiologie, Frankfurt
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 20:744-5. 2001....
- Successful treatment of disseminated mucormycosis with a combination of liposomal amphotericin B and posaconazole in a patient with acute myeloid leukaemiaV Rickerts
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitaet, Frankfurt, Germany
Mycoses 49:27-30. 2006..We report the first case of disseminated mucormycosis that was cured with a combination therapy of liposomal amphotericin B and posaconazole without surgical intervention...
- [Risk factor for invasive zygomycosis in patients with hematologic malignancies]V Rickerts
Medizinische Klinik III, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Mycoses 45:27-30. 2002..4/13) as was a systemic antifungal prophylaxis with itraconazole (9/13 vs. 4/13). Knowledge of these risk factors may be of benefit in diagnosing and monitoring zygomycosis in patients with haematological malignancies...
- Rapid PCR-based diagnosis of disseminated histoplasmosis in an AIDS patientV Rickerts
Medizinische Klinik III Infektiologie, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:821-3. 2002..The polymerase chain reaction assay might be a powerful and rapid diagnostic tool for the diagnosis of non-European invasive fungal infections and should be further evaluated...
- Diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis and mucormycosis in immunocompromised patients by seminested PCR assay of tissue samplesV Rickerts
Med Klinik II Infektiologie, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:8-13. 2006..The use of these PCR assays may allow guided antifungal treatment in patients with invasive mold infections...
- Breakthrough zygomycosis on posaconazole prophylaxis after allogeneic stem cell transplantationS Mousset
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Transpl Infect Dis 12:261-4. 2010..Despite combination treatment with liposomal amphotericin B and POS for 39 days, the patient died from pulmonary hemorrhage. This case highlights the need for continued awareness of breakthrough zygomycosis in patients receiving POS...
- The impact of protease inhibitor-containing highly active antiretroviral therapy on progression of HIV disease and its relationship to CD4 and viral loadV Miller
Klinikum der JohannWolfgang Goethe Universität, Zentrum der Inneren Medizin, Frankfurt, Germany
AIDS 14:2129-36. 2000..To compare the rate of disease progression according to viral load and CD4 cell count in patients receiving or not receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), defined as protease inhibitor-containing regimens...
- First case of successful allogeneic stem cell transplantation in an HIV-patient who acquired severe aplastic anemiaT Wolf
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Haematologica 92:e56-8. 2007..The patient is in good condition with an ECOG score of 0 twelve months after transplantation. This report demonstrates the feasibility of allogeneic stem cell transplantation in the HIV setting...
- The Protease Inhibitor Transfer Study (PROTRA 1): abacavir and efavirenz in combination as a substitute for a protease inhibitor in heavily pretreated HIV-1-infected patients with undetectable plasma viral loadM Bickel
Department of Infectious Disease, HIV Treatment and Research Unit, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
HIV Med 6:179-84. 2005....
- Hypertension in HIV-1-infected patients and its impact on renal and cardiovascular integrityOliver Jung
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Medizinische Klinik IV, Funktionsbereich Nephrologie, D 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:2250-8. 2004..Data on prevalence and consequences of hypertension are limited, but recent studies suggest that HIV-infected individuals are at a higher risk of developing hypertension...
- Rhinocerebral zygomycosis in a young girl undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplantation for severe aplastic anaemiaJan Sorensen
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Mycoses 49:31-6. 2006..No severe side effect of the antifungal drugs was noted. Unfortunately, the girl died 5 months after HSCT due to disseminated adenovirus infection...
- Acquired protein C and protein S deficiency in HIV-infected patientsMatthias Erbe
Medical Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Angiology, University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 9:325-31. 2003..In conclusion, an acquired protein S and protein C deficiency often develop in patients with HIV and acute illness; this may be reversible after treatment for opportunistic infections...
- Identification of a novel coronavirus in patients with severe acute respiratory syndromeChristian Drosten
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, National Reference Center for Tropical Infectious Diseases, Hamburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 348:1967-76. 2003..The severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has recently been identified as a new clinical entity. SARS is thought to be caused by an unknown infectious agent...
- Evidence of nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitor--associated genetic and structural defects of mitochondria in adipose tissue of HIV-infected patientsUlrich A Walker
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Freiburg, Germany
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:117-21. 2002..mtDNA depletion and ultrastructural abnormalities of adipocytes suggest a link between mitochondrial damage, the use of NRTIs, and lipoatrophy in HIV-infected patients...