A K Eckstein
- [Graves' orbitopathy]A Eckstein
Orthoptik, Universitäts Augenklinik Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 228:432-8. 2011..Smoking increases the prevalence and severity of GO and reduces the efficiency of therapy. Restoring euthyroidism leads to an improvement of GO in about 60% of the patients...
- [Graves' ophthalmopathy]A Eckstein
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Abteilung für Erkrankungen des vorderen Augenabschnittes, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstrase 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Ophthalmologe 113:349-64; quiz 465-6. 2016..The levels of these antibodies can be used for treatment decisions at certain time points of the disease. ..
- [Update on endocrine orbitopathy]A Eckstein
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Abteilung für Erkrankungen des vorderen Augenabschnittes, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Ophthalmologe 110:1079-96. 2013..Fortunately, defects in inactive stable Graves' orbitopathy can be successfully treated by surgery and involve decompression for proptosis reduction, muscle recession to correct diplopia and (finally) lid surgery. ..
- Surgical treatment of Graves' ophthalmopathyAnja Eckstein
University Eye Hostpital Essen, Department Neuroophthalmology, Strabism and Oculoplasics, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen 45122, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 26:339-58. 2012..Lid lengthening procedures are performed most often in GO patients and should be performed under local anaesthesia to get a good result. Serious complications are rare...
- [Amblyopia and uveitis in childhood]A Eckstein
Augenklinik, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:507-10. 2007..The follow-up should not only contain visual acuity measurements but also cycloplegic refraction. Especially when pupil-dilating drugs are necessary for a longer period, bifocals should be prescribed...
- Euthyroid and primarily hypothyroid patients develop milder and significantly more asymmetrical Graves ophthalmopathyA K Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1052-6. 2009..Retrospective, observational study to compare clinical symptoms and TSH-receptor antibodies (TRAb) in Graves ophthalmopathy (GO) in euthyroid and primarily hypothyroid patients to those in hyperthyroid patients...
- Current insights into the pathogenesis of Graves' orbitopathyA K Eckstein
Endocrine Orbitopathy Research and Therapy in Essen EORT E, Centre for Ophthalmology, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:456-64. 2009..To date most models have centered on provoking autoimmune responses to the TSHR, but other antigens, alone or in combination with this receptor, hopefully will succeed in inducing the full spectrum of GD...
- [Graves' ophthalmopathy]A Eckstein
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 51:584, 586-8, 590-2, passim. 2010..Radioiodine therapy without glucocorticoids is associated with a small but significant risk (15%) of deterioration or relapse. Thyroidectomy is neutral in later stages but may improve Graves' orbitopathy in early active stages...
- Clinical value of TSH receptor antibodies measurement in patients with Graves' orbitopathyA Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 7:198-203. 2010..Definitive treatment of the thyroid can be decided early on this basis, which is an advantage for ophthalmosurgical rehabilitation...
- [A temporal tarsorrhaphy increases the effect of lower lid lengthening in patients with Graves' orbitopathy]A Eckstein
Orthoptik, Universitäts Augenklinik Essen, Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 228:887-91. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare outcomes of lower lid lengthening with and without an additional temporal tarsorrhaphy...
- Dysregulation of TNF/TNFR superfamily members: a systemic link between intra- and extrathyroidal manifestations in Graves' diseaseB Quadbeck
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Scand J Immunol 64:523-30. 2006..Monocytes, therefore, may serve as a suitable target to therapeutically address the common precursor of key promoters of GD...
- The T393C polymorphism of the Galphas gene (GNAS1) is associated with the course of Graves' diseaseD Glowacka
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:430-5. 2009..This may allow the clinician to identify patients at risk for more severe courses of disease and to come to more timely decisions for treatment...
- Thyroid associated ophthalmopathy: evidence for CD4(+) gammadelta T cells; de novo differentiation of RFD7(+) macrophages, but not of RFD1(+) dendritic cells; and loss of gammadelta and alphabeta T cell receptor expressionA K Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, Essen University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 88:803-8. 2004..To characterise periorbital immune cells (stages, kinetics) in active and inactive thyroid associated ophthalmopathy (A-TAO; I-TAO)...
- Examination of orbital tissues in murine models of Graves' disease reveals expression of UCP-1 and the TSHR in retrobulbar adipose tissuesK T M Johnson
Department for Ophthalmology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 45:401-7. 2013..Though targets for TSHR autoimmunity could clearly be shown, immunization methods were not efficient enough to cause clear signs of orbital inflammation...
- Current insights into animal models of Graves' disease and orbitopathyB Wiesweg
Center for Ophthalmology, Laboratory for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 45:549-55. 2013..In this review we summarize different methods used to induce murine Graves'-like disease and their impact on murine orbits. ..
- The Effect of Early Thyroidectomy on the Course of Active Graves' Orbitopathy (GO): A Retrospective Case StudyM Meyer Zu Hörste
Center for Ophthalmology, Department of Neuroophthalmology and Strabismus, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 48:433-9. 2016..This allows an earlier initiation of ophthalmosurgical rehabilitation in patients with severe GO, which may positively influence quality of life of the patients. ..
- Maturation of thyroidal dendritic cells in Graves' diseaseB Quadbeck
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Uniiversity Clinic, Essen, Germany
Scand J Immunol 55:612-20. 2002..Expression of CD54 and CD83 did not significantly differ among the groups. The phenotype of intrathyroidal DC in GD thus supports their role as potential (co)stimulators of thyroid autoimmunity...
- Impact of smoking on the response to treatment of thyroid associated ophthalmopathyA Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:773-6. 2003..The authors sought to determine if smoking also influences the course of TAO during treatment, and the efficacy of therapy...