Genomes and Genes
- Predicting type 1 diabetes using biomarkersEzio Bonifacio
DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, and Faculty of Medicine, Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden of the Helmholtz Centre Munich at University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany German Center for Diabetes Research DZD e V, Neuherberg, Germany Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Neuherberg, Germany and Institute of Diabetes and Obesity IDO, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 38:989-96. 2015..The biomarkers required achieving this level of sophistication and dissemination are discussed...
- A strategy to find gene combinations that identify children who progress rapidly to type 1 diabetes after islet autoantibody seroconversionEzio Bonifacio
Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 105, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 51:403-11. 2014..These findings highlight genes that may affect the rate of the beta-cell destruction process once autoimmunity has initiated and may help to identify islet autoantibody-positive subjects with rapid progression to diabetes. ..
- An interferon-induced helicase (IFIH1) gene polymorphism associates with different rates of progression from autoimmunity to type 1 diabetesChristiane Winkler
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at Helmholtz Center Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes 60:685-90. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine whether these associations are with the development of autoimmunity and/or progression to diabetes...
- The use of biomaterials in islet transplantationDanielle J Borg
Preclinical Approaches to Stem Cell Therapy Diabetes, Technische Universitat Dresden, DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Cluster of Excellence, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 11:434-44. 2011..Here we review the application of niche accessory cells and factors, as well as the use of biomaterials as carriers or capsules, for pancreatic islet transplantation...
- Mucosal insulin vaccination for type 1 diabetes preventionE Bonifacio
CRTD, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:S26-9. 2008..Here we address these issues and propose a clinical translation possibility for mucosal insulin administration in genetically at risk individuals...
- Advances in the prediction and natural history of type 1 diabetesEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 39:513-25. 2010..This article reviews these biomarkers and T1D prediction strategies, and discusses potential implications of prediction and natural history for the pathogenesis of T1D...
- Harmonization of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibody assays for national institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases consortiaEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3360-7. 2010..A harmonization program was established to increase comparability of results within and among these studies...
- Insulin autoantibodies with high affinity to the bovine milk protein alpha caseinK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 164:42-9. 2011..These results suggest that autoimmunity to insulin can occur infrequently via cross-reactivity to food proteins, but this form of IAA immunization does not appear to be associated with progression to diabetes...
- Endocrine autoimmunity in families with type 1 diabetes: frequent appearance of thyroid autoimmunity during late childhood and adolescenceE Bonifacio
DFG Research Center and Cluster of Excellence for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Diabetologia 52:185-92. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the chronological appearance of thyroid autoantibodies in relation to other forms of autoimmunity in at-risk children...
- Age-related islet autoantibody incidence in offspring of patients with type 1 diabetesA G Ziegler
Institute of Diabetes Research, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 55:1937-43. 2012..Seroconversion to islet autoantibodies precedes type 1 diabetes. This study aimed to identify periods of high seroconversion incidence, which could be targeted for mechanistic and therapeutic studies...
- Autoantibodies to zinc transporter 8 and SLC30A8 genotype stratify type 1 diabetes riskP Achenbach
Diabetes Research Institute of Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstr 1, 85764, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 52:1881-8. 2009..Our aim was to determine the relationships between autoantibodies to zinc transporter 8 (ZnT8), genotypes of the ZnT8-encoding gene SLC30A8 and type 1 diabetes risk...
- Compromised immune response in infants at risk for type 1 diabetes born by Caesarean SectionR Puff
Institute of Diabetes Research, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, and Forschergruppe Diabetes, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Clin Immunol 160:282-5. 2015..007) and second year (p=0.047) of life. Overall, our findings provide evidence that the mode of delivery influences the immune status and responsiveness during childhood...
- Is islet autoimmunity related to insulin sensitivity or body weight in children of parents with type 1 diabetes?C Winkler
Institut für Diabetesforschung der Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 52:2072-8. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine whether insulin demand is increased in children with islet autoantibodies...
- IGRP and insulin vaccination induce CD8+ T cell-mediated autoimmune diabetes in the RIP-CD80GP mouseY F Fuchs
DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden CRTD, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden German Center for Diabetes Research DZD, Dresden, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 176:199-206. 2014..We conclude that RIP-CD80GP mice are a versatile model of antigen specific autoimmune diabetes and may complement existing mouse models of autoimmune diabetes for evaluating CD8(+) T cell-targeted prevention strategies. ..
- The effect of gestation and fetal mismatching on the development of autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic miceK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 168:274-8. 2012..Gestation per se appears to have no aggravating or ameliorating effects on pre-existent autoimmune beta cell destruction, but pregnancy from MHC partially mismatched males delays diabetes onset in female NOD mice...
- An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitusM Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Pharmacol Ther 121:317-31. 2009..Lastly, important efforts to halt disease progression with emphasis on beta-cell regeneration are presented...
- The relative merits of cord blood as a cell source for autologous T regulatory cell therapy in type 1 diabetesA Theil
DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 47:48-55. 2015..Our findings suggest that cord blood is an excellent source of T regulatory cells for expansion and autologous cell therapy that may be considered as a strategy to prevent immune-mediated destruction of beta cells in type 1 diabetes...