- Is defective lymphatic drainage a trigger for lymphoid neogenesis?Olivier Thaunat
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, INSERM UMR S 681, Centre de recherche des Cordeliers 75006, Paris, France
Trends Immunol 27:441-5. 2006..Antigens and immune effectors are rerouted towards the neoformed ectopic lymphoid structures. A self-perpetuating feedback loop, which further sustains the development of the local immune response, is now imposed...
- Daughter B cells are not created equal: Asymmetric segregation of antigen during B cell divisionOlivier Thaunat
Lymphocyte Interaction Laboratory London Research Institute Cancer Research UK London, UK
Cell Cycle 11:2219-20. 2012..Comment on: Thaunat O, et al. Science 2012; 335:475-9...
- Humoral immunity in chronic allograft rejection: puzzle pieces come togetherOlivier Thaunat
Service de Transplantation Rénale et d Immunologie Clinique, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Transpl Immunol 26:101-6. 2012..The key challenges for the next few years will be to learn how these conceptual progresses can be translated into innovative B cell-targeting therapies to improve long-term allograft outcome...
- A stepwise breakdown of B-cell tolerance occurs within renal allografts during chronic rejectionOlivier Thaunat
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service de Transplantation Rénale et d Immunologie Clinique, Lyon, France
Kidney Int 81:207-19. 2012..When intragraft immune regulation is insufficient, spreading of the local response against kidney autoantigens is favored...
- Amoxicillin-induced aseptic meningo-encephalitisO Thaunat
Hopital St Joseph, Service de Medecine Interne et Maladies Infectieuses, 185 rue Raymond Losserand 75014 Paris, France
Allergy 58:687-8. 2003
- Lymphoid neogenesis in chronic rejectionOlivier Thaunat
Cordeliers Research Centre, University of Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 13:16-9. 2008..Although chronic rejection is currently one of the main causes of long-term allograft failure, its pathogenesis remains elusive, thereby preventing the development of effective therapy...
- Direct and indirect effects of alloantibodies link neointimal and medial remodeling in graft arteriosclerosisOlivier Thaunat
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, INSERM UMRS 681, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2359-65. 2006..We hypothesized that alloantibodies might be responsible for these 2 opposite but coordinated events...
- Antiangiogenic treatment prevents adventitial constrictive remodeling in graft arteriosclerosisOlivier Thaunat
1 INSERM, UMR S 872, Les Cordeliers, Paris, France
Transplantation 85:281-9. 2008..We reasoned that blockade of the portal of entry of inflammatory effectors may constitute a strategy to prevent constrictive arterial remodeling...
- To biopsy or not to biopsy? Should we screen the histology of stable renal grafts?Olivier Thaunat
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Transplantation 84:671-6. 2007..In the present review, we summarize the available data from the literature to determine the pros and cons of protocol renal allograft biopsies. On the basis of this evidence, we discuss the ethical concerns raised by this procedure...
- Lymphoid neogenesis in chronic rejection: the murderer is in the houseOlivier Thaunat
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, INSERM UMR S 681, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Curr Opin Immunol 18:576-9. 2006..Accordingly, functional ectopic germinal centers develop within chronically rejected organs. This implies that, during chronic rejection, graft is at the same time the target and the site of elicitation of the alloimmune response...
- Chronic humoral rejection mediated by anti-HLA-DP alloantibodies: insights into the role of epitope sharing in donor-specific and non-donor specific alloantibodies generationOlivier Thaunat
Universite de Lyon, F 69622, Lyon, France
Transpl Immunol 20:209-11. 2009..This case highlights the pathogenicity of anti-DP alloantibodies and suggests that it could be more meaningful to match the epitopes than the HLA antigens for the prevention of rejection...
- Am"B"valent: anti-CD20 antibodies unravel the dual role of B cells in immunopathogenesisOlivier Thaunat
Universite de Lyon, and Service de Transplantation Rénale et d Immunologie Clinique, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, Lyon Cedex 03, France
Blood 116:515-21. 2010..Caution should therefore be exercised when considering B-cell depletion because the therapeutic effect will depend on the relative contributions of the opposing B-cell activities at the time of the drug administration...
- Chronic rejection triggers the development of an aggressive intragraft immune response through recapitulation of lymphoid organogenesisOlivier Thaunat
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U872, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, France
J Immunol 185:717-28. 2010..Identification of the molecular checkpoints critical for completion of the lymphoid neogenesis program should help develop innovative therapeutic strategies to fight chronic inflammation...
- Anemia after late introduction of sirolimus may correlate with biochemical evidence of a chronic inflammatory stateOlivier Thaunat
Department of Renal Transplantation, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Transplantation 80:1212-9. 2005..The responsibility of sirolimus (SRL) for postrenal transplant anemia has never been proven, because SRL is usually combined with myelotoxic drugs, and because of the high incidence of anemia in the posttransplant period...
- Lymphoid neogenesis in chronic rejection: evidence for a local humoral alloimmune responseOlivier Thaunat
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U681, Institut Biomedical des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI 75006 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:14723-8. 2005....
- Immune responses elicited in tertiary lymphoid tissues display distinctive featuresOlivier Thaunat
Universite Lyon 1, Villeurbanne, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11398. 2010..Preliminary findings suggest that this phenomenon i) is due to a defective immune regulation in this non-professional inflammatory-induced lymphoid tissue, and ii) also occurs in human chronically rejected grafts...
- [Hepatic hydatidosis]Olivier Thaunat
Service de Medecine Interne, Fondation Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris
Presse Med 33:30. 2004
- B cell survival in intragraft tertiary lymphoid organs after rituximab therapyOlivier Thaunat
Renal Transplantation and Clinical Immunology Department, Edouard Herriot Hospital, HCL, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, INSERM U851, Lyon, France
Transplantation 85:1648-53. 2008..In the present study, we evaluated the impact of rituximab therapy on TLOs associated with chronic active antibody-mediated rejection, a prototypic humoral chronic inflammatory condition...
- Intragraft Th17 infiltrate promotes lymphoid neogenesis and hastens clinical chronic rejectionClémence Deteix
Universite Lyon 1, Villeurbanne, France
J Immunol 184:5344-51. 2010..Further studies will determine whether Th17 infiltration can be used as a prognosis tool and whether the Th17 subset constitutes a therapeutic target for slowing down chronic rejection...
- Preferential increase in memory and regulatory subsets during T-lymphocyte immune reconstitution after Thymoglobulin induction therapy with maintenance sirolimus vs cyclosporineEmmanuel Morelon
Universite de Lyon, France
Transpl Immunol 23:53-8. 2010..Sirolimus maintenance therapy with Thymoglobulin induction is a promising regimen that may preserve renal function. Data are lacking, however, about the immunologic effects of combined Thymoglobulin-sirolimus...
- Retreatment by antithymocyte globulin for second kidney transplantation: efficacy, tolerance and safetyEzequiel Rodríguez-Reimúndes
Division of Transplantation, Nephrology and Clinical Immunology, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Transpl Immunol 28:6-8. 2013..The efficacy and tolerance of rATG when used as induction for the second time in patients undergoing retransplantation have not been evaluated...
- Pancreas retransplantation: a second chance for diabetic patients?Fanny Buron
Service de Nephrologie, Médecine de Transplantation et d Immunologie Clinique, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Transplantation 95:347-52. 2013..This study aims at evaluating pancreas retransplantation outcome...
- Hydrolysis of coagulation factors by circulating IgG is associated with a reduced risk for chronic allograft nephropathy in renal transplanted patientsBharath Wootla
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 872, Universite Paris Descartes, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 872, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 872, Paris, France
J Immunol 180:8455-60. 2008..These data suggest that PFR-MCA hydrolysis may be used as a prognosis marker for CAN in renal-transplanted patients...
- [Atherogenesis: a dysimmune disease]Aditi Varthaman
INSERM, UMR S 872, Les Cordeliers, Paris, F 75006 France
Med Sci (Paris) 24:169-75. 2008..The fine balance between the two extensions of the adaptive immune response is the key to a successful therapeutic approach towards atherosclerosis...
- Capillary Thrombosis in the Skin: A Pathologic Hallmark of Severe/Chronic Rejection of Human Vascularized Composite Tissue Allografts?Jean Kanitakis
1 Department of Dermatology and Dermatopathology, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France 2 Department of Transplantation, Nephrology and Clinical Immunology, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France 3 Clinique du Parc, Lyon, France 4 Department of Pathology, AHEPA Hospital, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Greece 5 Laboratoire d Histocompatibilité, Etablissement Français du Sang, Lyon, France
Transplantation 100:954-7. 2016..Vascularized composite tissue allografts (VCA) can undergo rejection, manifesting pathologically with skin changes that form the basis of the Banff 2007 classification of VCA rejection...
- Clinicopathological Findings of Chronic Rejection in a Face Grafted PatientPalmina Petruzzo
1 Department of Transplantation, Hopital Edouard Herriot, HCL, Lyon, France 2 Department of Surgery, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy 3 Department of Dermatology, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France 4 Service de Chirurgie Maxillofaciale et Stomatologie, CHU Nord, Amiens, France 5 Department of Radiology, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France 6 Université de Lyon, Inserm U1111, Lyon, France
Transplantation 99:2644-50. 2015..Skin chronic rejection (CR) in vascularized composite allotransplantation has not been included in the Banff classification yet. We report a face-transplant patient who developed cutaneous clinicopathologic changes suggestive of CR...
- Monitoring efficiency of humoral rejection episode therapy in liver transplantation: any role for complement binding Luminex Single Antigen assays?Stéphanie Ducreux
Etablissement Français du Sang, Laboratoire d Histocompatibilite, Lyon, France
Transpl Immunol 35:23-8. 2016..Thus, they highlight the potential interest of complement binding Luminex Single Antigen assays to monitor the efficiency of anti-rejection therapy. ..
- Profiling sirolimus-induced inflammatory syndrome: a prospective tricentric observational studyFanny Buron
Service de Transplantation, néphrologie et Immunologie Clinique de l Hôpital Edouard Herriot, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon, France Université de Lyon, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 8:e53078. 2013....
- Maintaining calcineurin inhibition after the diagnosis of post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder improves renal graft survivalJean Emmanuel Serre
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service de Transplantation, Néphrologie et Immunologie Clinique, Lyon, France
Kidney Int 85:182-90. 2014..Thus, maintaining calcineurin inhibition at a reduced dose after the diagnosis of PTLD seems safe and may improve renal graft outcome, possibly through better control of the recipient's humoral immune response. ..
- Atheroprotective effect of CD31 receptor globulin through enrichment of circulating regulatory T-cellsEmilie Groyer
INSERM UMR S 872, Paris, France
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:344-50. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate whether replacing CD31 (PECAM-1) signaling can restore the regulation of lymphocyte activation and improve experimental atherosclerosis...
- Immunoprotection by polyethylene glycol in organ preservation solutions is not due to an immunomasking effectHélène Perrin
INSERM, U851, 21 Avenue Tony Garnier, Lyon, F 69007, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1682-5. 2009..New organ preservation solutions that contain soluble polyethylene glycol (sPEG) molecules have been associated with reduction of acute rejection episodes...
- Human mesenchymal stem cells and immunosuppressive drug interactions in allogeneic responses: an in vitro study using human cellsF Buron
INSERM U 851 Lyon, Université Lyon1, Villeurbanne, France
Transplant Proc 41:3347-52. 2009..However, little is known about their interactions with immunosuppressive drugs. The objective of this study was to assess these interactions in allogeneic responses...
- Nephrotic syndrome associated with hemophagocytic syndromeO Thaunat
Department of Nephrology, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Kidney Int 69:1892-8. 2006..We postulate that abnormal T-cell activation and/or high pro-inflammatory cytokine levels during HPS might cause podocyte injuries, especially among African patients with a susceptible genetic background...
- Composite tissue allograft extends a helping hand to transplant immunologistsO Thaunat
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U681, Institut Biomedical des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, Paris, France
Am J Transplant 6:2238-42. 2006..In this sense, composite tissue allografts extend a helping hand to transplant immunologists...
- Immunopathology of rejection: do the rules of solid organ apply to vascularized composite allotransplantation?Olivier Thaunat
aHospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service de Transplantation, Néphrologie et Immunologie Clinique bUniversité de Lyon cINSERM, U1111 dHospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service d Urologie et Transplantation eEtablissement Français du Sang fHospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service de Dermatologie, Lyon, France
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 20:596-601. 2015..VCAs have several immunological peculiarities, which make inaccurate a direct extrapolation of all rules established for solid organs...
- Impact of anti-insulin antibodies on islet transplantation outcome: data from the GRAGIL NetworkSandrine Lablanche
1 Department of Endocrinology, Pôle DigiDUNE, Grenoble University Hospital, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France 2 Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Jean Minjoz, Service d Endocrinologie Metabolisme et Diabetologie Nutrition, Besancon, France 3 Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service de Néphrologie Médecine de la Transplantation et Immunologie clinique, Lyon, France 4 Department of Nephrology, Pôle DigiDUNE, Grenoble University Hospital, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France 5 Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service d urologie et de chirurgie de la transplantation, Pôle Chirurgie, Lyon, France 6 Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service d endocrinologie diabète nutrition, Lyon, France 7 Centre Hospitalier de Montpellier, Pôle Rein Hypertension Métabolisme, Service d endocrinologie, Montpellier, France 8 Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nancy, Service de Nephrologie, Nancy, France 9 Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Service d endocrinologie diabète et maladies métaboliques, Pôle NUDE, Strasbourg, France 10 Hospices Civils de Lyon, Pole Information Medicale Evaluation recherche, Lyon
Transplantation 98:475-82. 2014..The impact of IA on islet transplantation has never been explored. Our aim was to evaluate islet transplantation results at 1 year according to the presence of IA...
- Type III cryoglobulinemia complicated by renal cortical necrosisOlivier Thaunat
Department of Nephrology, AP HP, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Am J Kidney Dis 45:e79-81. 2005..Renal magnetic resonance imaging was a valuable tool in the evaluation of the extent of renal cortical necrosis and improvement in renal vascularization after treatment...
- IVIg treatment reduces catalytic antibody titers of renal transplanted patientsAnkit Mahendra
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 872, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 8:e70731. 2013....
- [Sterile inflammatory response to ischemia-reperfusion injury: immediate and long term consequences on graft function]Olivier Thaunat
Immunologie clinique et transplantation rénale, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 5 Place d Arsonval, 69437 Lyon, et Inserm U851
Bull Acad Natl Med 195:847-59; discussion 859. 2011..Strategies capable of dampening the sterile inflammatory response induced by ischemia-reperfusion could therefore be beneficial, both for immediate post-transplantation graft function and for long-term outcome...
- [Cancer and immunosuppression: pro- and antitumoral effects of immunosuppressive drugs]Olivier Thaunat
INSERM U 430, Institut Biomedical des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Nephrol Ther 1:23-30. 2005..If these antitumoral features are confirmed in human, this new immunosuppressive family will offer the unique opportunity to reduce both the incidence of rejection and cancer in organ transplant recipients...
- Detection of C3d-binding donor-specific anti-HLA antibodies at diagnosis of humoral rejection predicts renal graft lossAntoine Sicard
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Service de Transplantation, Néphrologie et Immunologie Clinique, Lyon, France Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U1111, Lyon, France Unité de Formation et de Recherche Lyon Est, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 26:457-67. 2015..95; P=0.03) were independent predictors for allograft loss at AMR diagnosis. We conclude that assessment of the C3d-binding capacity of DSA at the time of AMR diagnosis allows for identification of patients at risk for allograft loss...
- Renal cell carcinoma of the grafted kidney: how to improve screening and graft trackingMorgan Roupret
Department of Urology, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris Cedex, France
Transplantation 77:146-8. 2004....
- Mycobacterium xenopi pulmonary infection in two renal transplant recipients under sirolimus therapyO Thaunat
Service de Transplantation, Hopital Necker, Paris, France
Transpl Infect Dis 6:179-82. 2004..These two case reports suggest that sirolimus therapy may lead to an impairment of the immune response against intracellular pathogens such as M. xenopi...
- Severe human herpesvirus-8 primary infection in a renal transplant patient successfully treated with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibodyOlivier Thaunat
Blood 107:3009-10. 2006
- Late introduction of sirolimus induces anemia in renal transplant recipientsOlivier Thaunat
Transplantation 83:1283; author reply 1284. 2007
- [Implication of the lymphoid neogenesis process in chronic rejection]Olivier Thaunat
Med Sci (Paris) 22:110-1. 2006
- Topological determinants and consequences of adventitial responses to arterial wall injuryJean Baptiste Michel
INSERM unit 698 and University Denis Diderot Paris 7, CHU Xavier Bichat, 46 rue Henri Huchard, 75018 Paris, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1259-68. 2007..These adventitial events, therefore, have an impact not only on the vessel wall biology but also on the surrounding tissue...
- Is lymphoid neogenesis a therapeutic target for chronic rejection?Olivier Thaunat
Am J Transplant 7:1312-3; author reply 1314. 2007
- Complexity of antigenic determinants and humoral responses in vascular injuryOlivier Thaunat
Cardiovasc Res 68:183-5. 2005