Affiliation: Station Biologique
- Metagenomes of the picoalga Bathycoccus from the Chile coastal upwellingDaniel Vaulot
UPMC Paris 06 and CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique, Place G Tessier, Roscoff, France
PLoS ONE 7:e39648. 2012..3% identical bases for the three larger chromosomes over a 360 kbp alignment). At least two to three different genotypes seemed to be present in each natural sample based on read mapping to Bathycoccus RCC1105 genome...
- The diversity of small eukaryotic phytoplankton (< or =3 microm) in marine ecosystemsDaniel Vaulot
Station Biologique de Roscoff, UMR 7144, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Roscoff Cx, France
FEMS Microbiol Rev 32:795-820. 2008....
- A single species, Micromonas pusilla (Prasinophyceae), dominates the eukaryotic picoplankton in the Western English ChannelFabrice Not
Station Biologique, UMR 7127, CNRS et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Place George Teissier, BP74, 29682 Roscoff Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:4064-72. 2004..Members of the order Prasinococcales and the species Bathycoccus prasinos (Mamiellales) displayed sporadic occurrences, while the abundances of all other Prasinophyceae groups targeted remained negligible...
- Eukaryotic picoplankton communities of the Mediterranean Sea in summer assessed by molecular approaches (DGGE, TTGE, QPCR)Dominique Marie
Station Biologique, UMR7144 CNRS et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Roscoff, France
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 55:403-15. 2006..Of the three genera assessed, Bathycoccus appeared as the most abundant, forming localized maxima at depth...
- Composition of the summer photosynthetic pico and nanoplankton communities in the Beaufort Sea assessed by T-RFLP and sequences of the 18S rRNA gene from flow cytometry sorted samplesSergio Balzano
Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 06 et CNRS, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Diversité du plancton océanique, Roscoff, France
ISME J 6:1480-98. 2012..Moreover, in contrast to what occurs in warmer waters, most of the key pico- and nanoplankton species found in the Beaufort Sea could be successfully established in culture...
- Groups without cultured representatives dominate eukaryotic picophytoplankton in the oligotrophic South East Pacific OceanXiao li Shi
UPMC Paris 06 and CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Roscoff, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7657. 2009....
- Wide genetic diversity of picoplanktonic green algae (Chloroplastida) in the Mediterranean Sea uncovered by a phylum-biased PCR approachManon Viprey
Station Biologique de Roscoff, UMR7144, CNRS et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, BP74, 29682 Roscoff Cedex, France
Environ Microbiol 10:1804-22. 2008..Within genera such as Ostreococcus or Crustomastix for which several clades were observed, depth seemed to be the main factor controlling differential distribution of genotypes...
- Picobiliphytes: a marine picoplanktonic algal group with unknown affinities to other eukaryotesFabrice Not
Station Biologique de Roscoff, UMR 7144 CNRS and Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Boîte Postale 74, 29682 Roscoff Cedex, France
Science 315:253-5. 2007..This suggests that they may be secondary endosymbiotic algae. Pending the isolation of living cells and their formal description, these algae have been termed picobiliphytes...
- Use of flow cytometric sorting to better assess the diversity of small photosynthetic eukaryotes in the English ChannelDominique Marie
Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 06 et CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique, Roscoff, France
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 72:165-78. 2010..The new strategy should be very useful to conduct similar studies on other specific populations that can be discriminated by flow cytometry (e.g. red tide organisms or uncultivated protists)...
- Mapping of picoeucaryotes in marine ecosystems with quantitative PCR of the 18S rRNA geneFei Zhu
Station Biologique, UMR 7127 CNRS, INSU et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Place George Teissier, 29680 Roscoff, France
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 52:79-92. 2005..Data interpretation must take into account primer specificity and the varying rRNA gene copy number among eukaryotes...
- Plastid 16S rRNA gene diversity among eukaryotic picophytoplankton sorted by flow cytometry from the South Pacific OceanXiao li Shi
UPMC Paris 06 and CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Roscoff, France
PLoS ONE 6:e18979. 2011..Our data suggest that a single gene marker, even as widely used as 18S rRNA, provides a biased view of eukaryotic communities and that the use of several markers is necessary to obtain a complete image...
- Whole-genome amplification (WGA) of marine photosynthetic eukaryote populationsCécile Lepère
UPMC Paris 06 and CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique de Roscoff, BP74, Roscoff, France
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 76:513-23. 2011..Nonetheless, this approach appears to be suitable for obtaining metagenomics data on microbial eukaryotic communities...
- Ecotype diversity in the marine picoeukaryote Ostreococcus (Chlorophyta, Prasinophyceae)Francisco Rodriguez
Station Biologique, UMR 7127 CNRS INSU UPMC, BP 74, 29682 Roscoff, France
Environ Microbiol 7:853-9. 2005..These features strongly suggest distinct adaptation to environmental conditions encountered at surface and the bottom of the oceanic euphotic zone, reminiscent of that described in prokaryotes...
- Diversity of picoplanktonic prasinophytes assessed by direct nuclear SSU rDNA sequencing of environmental samples and novel isolates retrieved from oceanic and coastal marine ecosystemsLaure Guillou
Institut de Ciencies del Mar, Passeig Maritim de la Barceloneta, Barcelona, Spain
Protist 155:193-214. 2004..This report of the overall diversity of picoeukaryotic prasinophytes reveals a group of ecologically important and diverse marine microorganims that are well represented by isolated cultures...
- Two-component systems in Prochlorococcus MED4: genomic analysis and differential expression under stressIsabelle Mary
Station Biologique, UMR 7127, CNRS et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, P O Box 74, F 29682 cedex, Roscoff, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 226:135-44. 2003..In contrast, both cold and heat shocks decreased rather than increased the expression of most hik and rer genes...
- Quantitative assessment of picoeukaryotes in the natural environment by using taxon-specific oligonucleotide probes in association with tyramide signal amplification-fluorescence in situ hybridization and flow cytometryIsabelle C Biegala
Station Biologique de Roscoff, UMR 7127, F 29682 Roscoff Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5519-29. 2003..Picoeukaryote abundance increased from open toward more estuarine water, probably following changes in water temperature and stability...
- Prasinoderma singularis sp. nov. (Prasinophyceae, Chlorophyta), a solitary coccoid Prasinophyte from the South-East Pacific OceanFabien Jouenne
Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Gaustadalleen 21, 0349 Oslo, Norway
Protist 162:70-84. 2011..coloniale. When compared to P. coloniale, P. singularis sp. nov. is morphologically characterized by the absence of colonies, smaller cells with a thinner cell wall, and a second cell type with a different cell covering...
- An improved protocol for flow cytometry analysis of phytoplankton cultures and natural samplesDominique Marie
Sorbonne Universités UPMC PARIS 06, UMR 7144 and FR2424, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Place Georges Teissier, 29688, Roscoff, France CNRS, UMR 7144 and FR2424, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Place Georges Teissier, 29688, Roscoff, France
Cytometry A 85:962-8. 2014..01% in the samples before preservation. Pluronic F68 also appears effective for preserving samples without fixation for subsequent sorting, e.g. for molecular biology analyses. © 2014 International Society for Advancement of Cytometry. ..
- Lotharella reticulosa sp. nov.: a highly reticulated network forming chlorarachniophyte from the Mediterranean SeaShuhei Ota
UPMC Paris 06 and CNRS, UMR 7144, Station Biologique de Roscoff, Place Georges Tessier, 29682 Roscoff, France
Protist 163:91-104. 2012..The unique colonization pattern and other unique features demonstrate that RCC375 is a new chlorarachniophyte belonging to genus Lotharella, which we describe as Lotharella reticulosa sp. nov...
- Effects of high light on transcripts of stress-associated genes for the cyanobacteria Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 and Prochlorococcus MED4 and MIT9313Isabelle Mary
Station Biologique, UMR 7127, CNRS et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, BP 74, F 29682 Roscoff Cedex, France
Microbiology 150:1271-81. 2004..Furthermore, the strongest responses were observed in Prochlorococcus MED4, a strain characteristic of the open ocean surface layer, where hsp genes could play a critical role in cell survival...
- Global phylogeography of marine Synechococcus and Prochlorococcus reveals a distinct partitioning of lineages among oceanic biomesKatrin Zwirglmaier
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Environ Microbiol 10:147-61. 2008..This clearly reiterates the idea of spatial partitioning of individual cyanobacterial lineages, but at the global scale...
- Clade-specific 16S ribosomal DNA oligonucleotides reveal the predominance of a single marine Synechococcus clade throughout a stratified water column in the Red SeaNicholas J Fuller
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:2430-43. 2003..Genotypes corresponding to well-studied laboratory strains also appeared to be poorly represented in this stratified water column in the Red Sea...
- Analysis of the hli gene family in marine and freshwater cyanobacteriaDevaki Bhaya
Department of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 215:209-19. 2002..This information is discussed with respect to the role of hli genes in the acclimation of cyanobacteria to high light, and the possible relationships among members of this diverse gene family...
- Are autotrophs less diverse than heterotrophs in marine picoplankton?Daniel Vaulot
Trends Microbiol 10:266-7. 2002