- Castleman's disease and lymphoma: report of eight cases in HIV-negative patients and literature reviewClaire Larroche
Department of Internal Medicine and Laboratory of Hematology, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
Am J Hematol 69:119-26. 2002..The association of CD and lymphoma seems to be more than coincidental, and its pathogenesis is discussed...
- Prognostic factors and outcome of human herpesvirus 8-associated primary effusion lymphoma in patients with AIDSEmmanuelle Boulanger
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75 475 Paris Cedex 10, France
J Clin Oncol 23:4372-80. 2005..The prognosis is poor, with reported median survival time shorter than 6 months. To date, no prognostic factor has been identified in this subset of lymphoma...
- High incidence of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-related non-Hodgkin lymphoma in patients with HIV infection and multicentric Castleman diseaseEric Oksenhendler
Department of Immunology and Hematology, Laboratory of Hematology, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 Ave Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Blood 99:2331-6. 2002..In contrast, the PEL and PEL-like NHL may implicate a different original infected cell whose growth is promoted by the cytokine-rich environment of the MCD lesions...
- Combined chemotherapy including high-dose methotrexate in KSHV/HHV8-associated primary effusion lymphomaEmmanuelle Boulanger
Department of Clinical Immunopathology, Hopital Saint Louis, AP HP, Paris, France
Am J Hematol 73:143-8. 2003..Complete remission was obtained in 3 out of 7 patients treated for AIDS-associated PEL with combined chemotherapy containing high-dose methotrexate...
- Multicentric Castleman disease is associated with polyfunctional effector memory HHV-8-specific CD8+ T cellsAmelie Guihot
Laboratoire d Immunologie Cellulaire, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
Blood 111:1387-95. 2008..Their differentiation increases with HHV-8 viral load. These results offer new insight into the pathophysiology of MCD...
- Intensive chemotherapy regimen (LMB86) for St Jude stage IV AIDS-related Burkitt lymphoma/leukemia: a prospective studyLionel Galicier
Departments of Clinical Immunology, Hopital St Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Blood 110:2846-54. 2007..We conclude that LMB86 regimen is highly effective in advanced HIV-related BL and should be proposed for patients with CD4 count higher than 200 x 10(6)/L or ECOG of 2 or less...
- B-cell and T-cell phenotypes in CVID patients correlate with the clinical phenotype of the diseaseGael Mouillot
Immunology Laboratory, INSERM UMR S945, CIB Pitié Salpêtrière, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Clin Immunol 30:746-55. 2010..Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) is a heterogeneous disorder characterized by recurrent infections and defective immunoglobulin production...
- HIV-associated multicentric Castleman diseaseEric Oksenhendler
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 4:16-21. 2009..On the basis of current knowledge on pathophysiology, we will illustrate different therapeutic approaches and try to provide guidelines at least for the initial care of the disease...
- Human herpesvirus 8+ polyclonal IgMλ B-cell lymphocytosis mimicking plasmablastic leukemia/lymphoma in HIV-infected patientsEric Oksenhendler
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France Univ Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Eur J Haematol 91:497-503. 2013..MCD lesions characteristically contain HHV-8-infected polyclonal IgMλ plasmablasts. A high frequency of HHV-8-related non-Hodgkin lymphoma has been reported in these patients...
- Improved survival in HIV-related Hodgkin's lymphoma since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapyLaurence Gerard
Service d Immuno Hématologie and Laboratoire d Anatomopathologie, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
AIDS 17:81-7. 2003..To evaluate the evolving characteristics of HIV-related Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) and survival of affected patients since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Rituximab decreases the risk of lymphoma in patients with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman diseaseLaurence Gerard
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Blood 119:2228-33. 2012..Rituximab was associated with an 11-fold lower risk of developing lymphoma. KS exacerbation was the most challenging adverse event after rituximab therapy...
- Characteristics of non-Hodgkin lymphoma arising in HIV-infected patients with suppressed HIV replicationLaurence Gerard
Service d immunopathologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
AIDS 23:2301-8. 2009..Despite effective treatment of HIV infection, some patients still develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). We analysed patients with HIV-associated NHL and undetectable plasma HIV-RNA, according to the duration of HIV suppression...
- Low T cell responses to human herpesvirus 8 in patients with AIDS-related and classic Kaposi sarcomaAmelie Guihot
Laboratoire d Immunologie Cellulaire et Tissulaire du Pr Debre, INSERM UMR S 543, Batiment CERVI, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 47 bd de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 194:1078-88. 2006..We hypothesized that KS is linked to deficiencies in specific anti-HHV-8 T cell immunity...
- Prospective study of rituximab in chemotherapy-dependent human immunodeficiency virus associated multicentric Castleman's disease: ANRS 117 CastlemaB TrialLaurence Gerard
Department of Clinical Immunology, Laboratory of Virology, Paris VII University, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 25:3350-6. 2007..Single-agent chemotherapy is usually effective in HIV-associated multicentric Castleman's disease (MCD). However, in most patients, chemotherapy cannot be discontinued...
- Infections in 252 patients with common variable immunodeficiencyEric Oksenhendler
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 46:1547-54. 2008..Common variable immunodeficiency is characterized by recurrent infections and defective immunoglobulin production...
- Late-onset combined immune deficiency: a subset of common variable immunodeficiency with severe T cell defectMarion Malphettes
Departement d Immunologie, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 49:1329-38. 2009..Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) is a primary immune deficiency defined by defective antibody production. In most series, a small proportion of patients present with opportunistic infections (OIs)...
- Autosomal dominant STAT3 deficiency and hyper-IgE syndrome: molecular, cellular, and clinical features from a French national surveyMarie Olivia Chandesris
Hematology Department, Necker Enfants Malades Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 91:e1-19. 2012..Overall, the prognosis of STAT3 deficiency may be considered good, provided that multiple prophylactic measures, including IgG infusions, are implemented...
- Parental consanguinity is associated with a severe phenotype in common variable immunodeficiencyClaire Rivoisy
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris and Université Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, EA3963, Paris, France
J Clin Immunol 32:98-105. 2012..Systematic investigation for parental consanguinity in patients with CVID provides useful information for specific clinical care and genetic screening...
- Rectal Lymphogranuloma Venereum in HIV-infected Patients Can Mimic LymphomaEtienne Crickx
Department of Clinical Immunology, Service d Immunopathologie Clinique Department of Pathology, Hôpital Saint Louis Department of Pathology, Hopital Bichat, AP HP, université Paris 7 Diderot, Paris Department of Clinical Hematology, Hôpital Victor Provo, Roubaix, France
J Clin Gastroenterol 50:414-6. 2016..trachomatis using polymerase chain reaction analysis on biopsy specimen to rule out the possibility of rectal LGV. ..
- Idiopathic CD4 lymphocytopenia: clinical and immunologic characteristics and follow-up of 40 patientsAlexis Régent
From the Université Paris Descartes and Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP, Hopital Cochin, Service de Medecine Interne, Paris AR, BT, LG, LM Institut Cochin, U016, CNRS, UMR8104, Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité 22, Paris AR, RC, BC DM, LM UPMC, Université Paris 6 and INSERM, UMR945, AP HP, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Laboratoire d Immunologie Cellulaire et Tissulaire, Paris BA, GC, PH, PD Université Paris 13 and AP HP, Departement de Medecine Interne, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny AK Université Paris Diderot and AP HP, Département d immunologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris EO UPMC, Université Paris 6 and AP HP, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Service de Medecine Interne, Kingston
Medicine (Baltimore) 93:61-72. 2014..In conclusion, ICL is a heterogeneous disorder often associated with deficiencies in CD8, CD19, and/or NK cells. Long-term prognosis may be related to initial CD4 and NK cell deficiency. ..
- Time course of organ dysfunction in thrombotic microangiopathy patients receiving either plasma perfusion or plasma exchangeMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Saint Louis University Hospital, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 34:2127-33. 2006..Few studies have investigated adults with thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA) requiring intensive care unit (ICU) admission, and the treatment remains controversial...
- Peripheral T-cell lymphoma in HIV-infected patients: a study of 17 cases in the combination antiretroviral therapy eraLaurent Gilardin
Département d immunologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, AP HP, Paris, France
Br J Haematol 161:843-51. 2013..In this rare but severe complication of HIV infection the use of intensive chemotherapy does not appear to be beneficial for response, with increased toxicity...
- Immunoglobulin dosage and switch from intravenous to subcutaneous immunoglobulin replacement therapy in patients with primary hypogammaglobulinemia: decreasing dosage does not alter serum IgG levelsSylvain Thepot
Departement d Immunologie, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
J Clin Immunol 30:602-6. 2010..The impact of reducing immunoglobulin dosage while switching from intravenous to subcutaneous replacement therapy was evaluated...
- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in AIDS-related Burkitt lymphomaPierre Alexandre Just
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Saint Louis Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, Paris, France
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:695-700. 2008..PET/CT is also useful to monitor treatment response, as regression of initial disease can be early observed. Furthermore, PET/CT appears to have prognostic value, as a negative scan was always associated with a favorable outcome...
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells accumulate in spleens from chronically HIV-infected patients but barely participate in interferon-alpha expressionMichelina Nascimbeni
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, Unité Mixte de Recherche UMR 8104, Paris, France
Blood 113:6112-9. 2009..Therefore, pDCs accumulated in spleens from HIV+ patients with high proviral loads, but they did not seem to be the main IFN-alpha producers...
- Exclusion of Patients with a Severe T-Cell Defect Improves the Definition of Common Variable ImmunodeficiencyRémi Bertinchamp
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, Paris, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 4:1147-1157. 2016..The new definition appeared more restrictive but had not yet been evaluated in a large cohort of patients...
- [Rosai-Dorfman disease: Sinusal histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy]Lionel Galicier
Sorbonne Paris Cité, Universite Paris Diderot, Hopital Saint Louis, Service d immunopathologie clinique, 1, avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France Electronic address
Presse Med . 2016..Treatments are discussed in threatening forms, evolving forms or in case of poor prognosis factors. Treatment, when indicated, is not codified. Surgery, corticosteroids, immunosuppressive agents and/or alpha interferon can be used...
- iNKT and memory B cells alterations in HHV-8 multicentric Castleman diseaseZineb Sbihi
Sorbonne Universités, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie UPMC Univ Paris 06, INSERM, Centre d Immunologie et des Maladies Infectieuses CIMI Paris, UMR 1135, CNRS 8255, Paris, France
Blood . 2016..These observations contribute to a better understanding of the complex interactions between HHV-8 and immune cells that cause HHV-8-related MCD...
- Classic and extracavitary primary effusion lymphoma in 51 HIV-infected patients from a single institutionStephanie Guillet
Department of Clinical Immunology, Saint Louis Hospital, AP HP, Paris, France
Am J Hematol 91:233-7. 2016..Based on this series, characteristics of classic and extracavitary variants were very close. Although prognosis of PEL remains very severe in cART era, the median survival compares favorably with earlier series...
- Pathogenesis and treatment of xanthomatosis associated with monoclonal gammopathyRaphael Szalat
Département d immunologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 118:3777-84. 2011..Monoclonal gammopathy therapy could thus be an option. Indeed, among the patients who received chemotherapy, hematologic remission was accompanied by improvement in xanthoma lesions in several cases...
- Systemic non-Hodgkin lymphoma in HIV-infected patients with effective suppression of HIV replication: persistent occurrence but improved survivalLaurence Gerard
Service d Immuno Hématologie Hôpital Saint Louis, AP HP, Paris, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:478-84. 2002..Improvement in the overall survival rate in the post-HAART period was associated with more intensive chemotherapy regimens, increased complete remission rate, and a likely benefit of continuation or introduction of HAART...
- Efficacy and safety of rituximab in B-cell post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorders: results of a prospective multicenter phase 2 studySylvain Choquet
Hematology Unit, CHU La Pitié Salpêtrière Hospital, 47 bd de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 14, France
Blood 107:3053-7. 2006..We conclude that rituximab is effective and safe in PTLD, with stable responses at 1 year. The response rate and overall survival might be improved by combining rituximab with other treatments...
- AIDS-related malignancies: state of the art and therapeutic challengesJean Philippe Spano
Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, 47 Blvd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 26:4834-42. 2008..Special considerations of these AIDS-related and non-AIDS-related malignancies and their clinical and therapeutic aspects constitute the subject of this review...
- Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis Associated With Bartonella henselae Infection in an HIV-Infected PatientAlexandre Le Joncour
Department of Clinical Immunology, Hopital Saint Louis, AP HP, and EA3518, Universite Paris Diderot
Clin Infect Dis 62:804-6. 2016..Early recognition of HLH and B. henselae through liver biopsy and serological tests led to the patient's recovery...
- [Rosai-Dorfman disease]Lionel Galicier
Service d immunopathologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris
Presse Med 36:1669-75. 2007..The treatment, when it is indicated, is not codified. It combines, according to the individual case, surgery, corticosteroids, antimetabolites and interferon alpha...
- Severe herpes virus (HSV-2) infection in two patients with myelodysplasia and undetectable NK cells and plasmacytoid dendritic cells in the bloodAli Dalloul
Laboratoire d Imunologie Hôpital de la Pitié, Paris, France
J Clin Virol 30:329-36. 2004....
- Multicentric Castleman disease in an HHV8-infected child born to consanguineous parents with systematic reviewSandrine Leroy
Department of Pediatric Immunology and Hematology, Necker Hospital, AP HP, Paris, France
Pediatrics 129:e199-203. 2012..Moreover, as previously suggested for Kaposi sarcoma, MCD in childhood may result from inborn errors of immunity to HHV-8 infection...
- [Common variable immunodeficiency]Eric Oksenhendler
Département d immunologie clinique, Hopital Saint Louis, 75010 Paris
Rev Prat 57:1687-90. 2007..A specific genetic defect can be demonstrated in less than 5% of the cases. Therapy relies on IV or SC substitution using polyvalent immunoglobulins...
- Severe chronic primary neutropenia in adults: report on a series of 108 patientsFlore Sicre de Fontbrune
Service d Hématologie Greffe, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Blood 126:1643-50. 2015..G-CSF is efficient and well tolerated but is not required in a majority of patients. ..
- Herpes simplex virus type 2 as a cause of severe meningitis in immunocompromised adultsHerve Mommeja-Marin
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 37:1527-33. 2003..HSV-2 can cause severe meningitis in immunocompromised patients. Early recognition and treatment might improve the outcome of such infections...
- Infectious diseases as a trigger in thrombotic microangiopathies in intensive care unit (ICU) patients?Paul Coppo
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hôpital Saint Louis and University of Paris VII, 1 rue Claude Vellefaux, 75010, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 29:564-9. 2003..We conducted a descriptive, retrospective study including all TMA adult patients admitted to our ICU, with a particular interest in infectious episodes as a trigger of TMA...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-A is expressed both on lymphoma cells and endothelial cells in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma and related to lymphoma progressionWei Li Zhao
ERM 0220, Institut Universitaire d Hematologie, Universite Paris VII, Paris, France
Lab Invest 84:1512-9. 2004..In addition to lymphoma cells themselves, the vascular component, a critical pathologic characteristic in AITL, also contributes to lymphoma progression...
- Alpha-interferon-associated thrombotic microangiopathy: a clinicopathologic study of 8 patients and review of the literatureJulien Zuber
Departments of Nephrology, Hôpital St Louis and the Ile de France Nephrologist Study Group GENIF, Paris, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 81:321-31. 2002
- The EUROclass trial: defining subgroups in common variable immunodeficiencyClaudia Wehr
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Clinic, Freiburg, Germany
Blood 111:77-85. 2008..The underlying defects of expanded transitional or CD21(low) B cells remain to be elucidated. This trial is re-gistered at http://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/zks/live/uklregister/Oeffentlich.html as UKF000308...
- HHV8-related non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the spermatic cord in a patient with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman diseaseEmmanuelle Boulanger
Am J Hematol 72:70-1. 2003
- Bortezomib (PS-341) in patients with human herpesvirus 8-associated primary effusion lymphomaEmmanuelle Boulanger
Br J Haematol 141:559-61. 2008
- Effects of interleukin-2 therapy combined with highly active antiretroviral therapy on immune restoration in HIV-1 infection: a randomized controlled trialYves Levy
Unit of Clinical Immunology, Hospital Henri Mondor, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
AIDS 17:343-51. 2003..Intermittent interleukin-2 (IL-2) therapy leads to a sustained increase of CD4 T cells in HIV-1-infected patients...
- Mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionEmmanuelle Boulanger
Br J Haematol 140:470-4. 2008
- Long-term effects of intermittent interleukin-2 therapy in chronic HIV-infected patients (ANRS 048-079 Trials)Christine Durier
INSERM SC10, Villejuif, France
AIDS 21:1887-97. 2007..Interleukin (IL)-2 therapy leads to significant CD4 cell increases in HIV-infected patients. Since phase III trials are ongoing, studies supporting the long-term feasibility of this strategy are needed...
- Extracavitary tumor after primary effusion lymphoma: relapse or second distinct lymphoma?Emmanuelle Boulanger
Haematologica 92:1275-6. 2007..HHV-8 episome clonality might help identify which event takes place...
- Failure of cidofovir in HIV-associated multicentric Castleman diseaseAlice Berezne
Blood 103:4368-9; author reply 4369. 2004
- Prognostic value of anti-ADAMTS 13 antibody features (Ig isotype, titer, and inhibitory effect) in a cohort of 35 adult French patients undergoing a first episode of thrombotic microangiopathy with undetectable ADAMTS 13 activitySilvia Ferrari
Baxter BioScience, Department of Discovery Research and Technical Assessment, Vienna, Austria
Blood 109:2815-22. 2007..High levels of inhibitory anti-ADAMTS13 IgG at presentation were associated with the persistence of an undetectable ADAMTS13 activity in remission, the latter being predictive for relapses within an 18-month delay...
- Thoracic radiographic and CT findings of multicentric Castleman disease in HIV-infected patientsAmelie Guihot
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Foch, Suresnes, France
J Thorac Imaging 22:207-11. 2007..In this pictorial essay, we describe different thoracic imaging of MCD, with particular emphasis on computed tomography findings, in 13 HIV-infected patients with histologically proved MCD...
- Distinct cellular origins of primary effusion lymphoma with and without EBV infectionRifat Hamoudi
Department of Histopathology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, Rockefeller Building, University Street, London WC1E 6JJ, UK
Leuk Res 28:333-8. 2004..Our results indicate that EBV positive PELs are derived from germinal centre or post-germinal centre B-cells, whereas EBV negative PELs may originate from either germinal/post-germinal centre or naïve B-cells...