- An alternative flavin-dependent mechanism for thymidylate synthesisHannu Myllykallio
Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, CNRS UMR 8621, Universite Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Science 297:105-7. 2002..Our findings reveal complexity in the evolution of thymidine in present-day DNA. Because ThyX proteins are found in many pathogenic microbes, they present a previously uncharacterized target for antimicrobial compounds...
- Life without dihydrofolate reductase FolAHannu Myllykallio
Institut de Génétique et Microbiologie CNRS UMR8621, Universite de Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Trends Microbiol 11:220-3. 2003....
- Functional evidence for active site location of tetrameric thymidylate synthase X at the interphase of three monomersDamien Leduc
Universite Paris Sud, Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 8621, F 91405 Orsay cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:7252-7. 2004....
- Genetic and physical mapping of DNA replication origins in Haloferax volcaniiCedric Norais
Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, Universite Paris Sud, Orsay, France
PLoS Genet 3:e77. 2007..Our observations also suggest that H. volcanii is an ideal organism for studying how replication of four replicons is regulated in the context of the archaeal cell cycle...
- Targeting of Helicobacter pylori thymidylate synthase ThyX by non-mitotoxic hydroxy-naphthoquinonesStephane Skouloubris
Laboratoire d Optique et Biosciences, CNRS UMR7645, INSERM U1182, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau 91128, France Department of Biology, Universite Paris Sud, Orsay 91405, France
Open Biol 5:150015. 2015..We also demonstrate that chemical reactivity of NQs does not prevent their exploitation as anti-microbial compounds, particularly when mitotoxicity screening is used to prioritize these compounds for further experimentation. ..
- The structure of an archaeal homodimeric ligase which has RNA circularization activityMark Adrian Brooks
IBBMC CNRS, Universite de Paris Sud, CNRS UMR8619, IFR115, 91405 Orsay, France
Protein Sci 17:1336-45. 2008..Additionally, we show that the protein is indeed capable of circularizing RNA molecules in an ATP-dependent reaction. These structural and biochemical results provide an insight into the potential physiological roles of Pab1020...
- Identification of short 'eukaryotic' Okazaki fragments synthesized from a prokaryotic replication originFujihiko Matsunaga
Universite Paris Sud, Orsay, France
EMBO Rep 4:154-8. 2003..Short Okazaki fragments and a high replication speed imply a very efficient turnover of Okazaki fragments in Archaea. Archaea therefore have a unique replication system showing mechanistic similarities to both Bacteria and Eukarya...
- Identification of a novel gene encoding a flavin-dependent tRNA:m5U methyltransferase in bacteria--evolutionary implicationsJaunius Urbonavicius
CNRS, Enzymology and Structural Biochemistry Laboratory 1 avenue de la Terrasse, F 91198, Gif sur Yvette, France
Nucleic Acids Res 33:3955-64. 2005....
- Flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase X limits chromosomal DNA replicationFrédéric Escartin
Laboratoire d Optique et Biosciences, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Ecole Polytechnique, F 91128 Palaiseau, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:9948-52. 2008..We also propose that the increased kinetic efficiency of thymidylate synthesis has contributed to extending the prokaryotic evolutionary potential...
- Identification, purification, and characterization of an eukaryotic-like phosphopantetheine adenylyltransferase (coenzyme A biosynthetic pathway) in the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus abyssiJean Armengaud
CEA VALRHO, DSV DIEP, SBTN, Service de Biochimie post génomique and Toxicologie Nucléaire, 30207 Bagnols sur Ceze, France
J Biol Chem 278:31078-87. 2003..The existence of operational proteins highly conserved between Archaea and Eukarya involved in a central metabolic pathway challenge evolutionary scenarios in which eukaryal operational proteins are strictly of bacterial origin...
- Functional analysis of FAD-dependent thymidylate synthase ThyX from Paramecium bursaria Chlorella virus-1Sébastien Graziani
Laboratory of Optics and Biosciences, INSERM U451 CNRS UMR 7645, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 279:54340-7. 2004..This oxidation activity is directly linked to FAD reduction. Our results indicate that ThyX-specific inhibitors can be designed that do not affect ThyA enzymes. Finally, a model is proposed for the early stages of ThyX catalysis...
- Flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase ThyX activity: implications for the folate cycle in bacteriaDamien Leduc
Inserm Avenir Group, Institut de Génétique et de Microbiologie, CNRS UMR8621, F 91405 Orsay, France
J Bacteriol 189:8537-45. 2007..In addition, our observations suggest that the presence of flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase X provides growth benefits under conditions in which the level of reduced folate derivatives is compromised...
- Functional analysis of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis FAD-dependent thymidylate synthase, ThyX, reveals new amino acid residues contributing to an extended ThyX motifJonathan E Ulmer
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 5065, USA
J Bacteriol 190:2056-64. 2008..ThyX is found in a variety of bacterial pathogens but is absent in humans, which depend upon an unrelated thymidylate synthase, ThyA. Therefore, ThyX is a potential target for development of antibacterial drugs...
- Catalytic mechanism and structure of viral flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase ThyXSébastien Graziani
CNRS, UMR 7645, Laboratory of Optics and Biosciences, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France
J Biol Chem 281:24048-57. 2006..Steady-state kinetic analyses support a reaction mechanism where ThyX catalysis proceeds via formation of distinct ternary complexes without formation of a methyl enzyme intermediate...
- Design, synthesis and evaluation of potent thymidylate synthase X inhibitorsF Esra Onen
Unite de Pharmacologie Chimique et Genetique, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Paris, Paris, France
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:3628-31. 2008....
- In vitro detection of the enzymatic activity of folate-dependent tRNA (Uracil-54,-C5)-methyltransferase: evolutionary implicationsJaunius Urbonavicius
Laboratoire d Enzymologie et Biochimie Structurales, Gif sur Yvette, France
Methods Enzymol 425:103-19. 2007..The phylogenetic analysis of TrmFO sequences suggests an ancient origin of this enzyme in bacteria...
- Function and evolution of plasmid-borne genes for pyrimidine biosynthesis in Borrelia sppJianmin Zhong
Departments of Microbiology and of Molecular Genetics and Medicine, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 4028, USA
J Bacteriol 188:909-18. 2006..These findings indicate that Borrelia spp. causing RF have a greater capability for de novo pyrimidine synthesis than those causing LB, thus providing a basis for some of the biological differences between the two groups of pathogens...
- Physiological responses of the hyperthermophilic archaeon "Pyrococcus abyssi" to DNA damage caused by ionizing radiationEdmond Jolivet
Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, CNRS UMR 6539, Technopole Brest Iroise, 29 280 Plouzane, France
J Bacteriol 185:3958-61. 2003..Our cell fractionation assays further suggest that "P. abyssi" contains a highly efficient DNA repair system which is continuously ready to repair the DNA damage caused by high temperature and/or ionizing radiation...