Genomes and Genes
- [Place of surgery in brain metastases]Philippe Metellus
AP HM, CHU Timone, Aix Marseille Universite, Departement de Neurochirurgie, Marseille, France
Bull Cancer 100:51-6. 2013..Surgical resection currently represents a valuable tool in the armamentarium of brain metastases but has also become a diagnostic and decision tool that can affect therapeutic strategies in these patients...
- Molecular genetics of adult grade II gliomas: towards a comprehensive tumor classification systemDominique Figarella-Branger
Service d anatomie pathologique et de neuropathologie, Hopital de la Timone, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, 13000, Marseille, France
J Neurooncol 110:205-13. 2012..Moreover, immunohistochemical detection of p53, INA and mR132H IDH1 expression could represent an interesting prescreening test to be performed before 1p19q codeletion, IDH1 minor mutation and IDH2 mutation detection...
- Prognostic impact of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase silencing in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who undergo surgery and carmustine wafer implantation: a prospective patient cohortPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Cancer 115:4783-94. 2009..In this study, the authors evaluated the prognostic value of different biomarkers in recurrent GBM and analyzed the changes in MGMT status between primary tumors and recurrent tumors...
- Prognostic impact of CD133 mRNA expression in 48 glioblastoma patients treated with concomitant radiochemotherapy: a prospective patient cohort at a single institutionPhilippe Metellus
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille, France
Ann Surg Oncol 18:2937-45. 2011..To address this question we investigated the relationship between CD133 mRNA expression and patient outcome in a glioblastoma patient cohort...
- Molecular heterogeneity of glioblastomas: does location matter?Emilie Denicolaï
Aix Marseille University, CRO2 UMR 911, INSERM UMR_S 911, Marseille, 13385, France
Oncotarget 7:902-13. 2016..032) than other periventricular locations, whereas MET overexpression remained exceptional. These data suggest a differential gene expression profile according to initial glioblastoma location. ..
- Adult intracranial WHO grade II ependymomas: long-term outcome and prognostic factor analysis in a series of 114 patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Neuro Oncol 12:976-84. 2010..Interestingly, tumor location also seems to have an actual impact on both OS and PFS. Finally, the prognostic impact of RT was found to be beneficial for incompletely resected tumors...
- [Management of brain metastases for lung cancer patients]Fabrice Barlesi
Aix Marseille Universite, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Service d Oncologie Multidisciplinaire et Innovations Thérapeutiques, Hopital Nord, Chemin des Bourrelly, 13915 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Bull Cancer 100:303-8. 2013..The management will depend on the circumstances of diagnosis (symptomatic or not), the cancer history (synchronous or metachronous brain metastases), the histology and the number of lesions...
- Gene expression profiling of solitary fibrous tumorsFrancois Bertucci
Département d Oncologie Moléculaire, Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de Marseille CRCM, Institut Paoli Calmettes IPC, UMR1068 Inserm, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 8:e64497. 2013..They raise several clinical problems. Differential diagnosis may be difficult, prognosis is poorly apprehended by histoclinical features, and no effective therapy exists for advanced stages...
- Solitary fibrous tumors and hemangiopericytomas of the meninges: overlapping pathological features and common prognostic factors suggest the same spectrum of tumorsCorinne Bouvier
Department of Pathology and Neuropathology, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Brain Pathol 22:511-21. 2012..As extent of surgery was also a prognostic factor for both PFS and OS in univariate analysis, we propose that management of SFT/HPC might be based both on quality of removal and histological grade...
- Cortical and subventricular zone glioblastoma-derived stem-like cells display different molecular profiles and differential in vitro and in vivo propertiesAurelie Tchoghandjian
INSERM U911, Marseille, France
Ann Surg Oncol 19:S608-19. 2012..These cells generate a specific tumor phenotype, but no link with tumor location or molecular characteristics has ever been made...
- Supratentorial ependymomas: prognostic factors and outcome analysis in a retrospective series of 46 adult patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Cancer 113:175-85. 2008..The authors report a series of adult patients with supratentorial ependymomas to characterize the roles of surgery and histology in tumor control...
- ALDH1 is an immunohistochemical diagnostic marker for solitary fibrous tumours and haemangiopericytomas of the meninges emerging from gene profiling studyCorinne Bouvier
Department of Neuropathology and APHM Tumor Bank, LaTimone Hospital, Marseille, France
Acta Neuropathol Commun 1:10. 2013....
- Surgical resection of brain metastases from breast cancer in the modern era: clinical outcome and prognostic factorsEmeline Tabouret
Departements of Medical Oncology, Paoli Calmettes Institut, Marseille, France
Anticancer Res 33:2159-67. 2013..Incidence of brain metastases (BM) from breast cancer (BC) is increasing. However, prognostic evaluation and treatment strategies are still a matter of debate...
- Polysialic acid neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM) is an adverse prognosis factor in glioblastoma, and regulates olig2 expression in glioma cell linesMarie Claude Amoureux
Université de la Méditerranée CNRS UMR6216, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, Marseille, France
BMC Cancer 10:91. 2010..Here, we studied its expression in GBM and evaluated its prognosis value for overall survival (OS) and disease free survival (DFS)...
- Biodegradable carmustine wafers (Gliadel) alone or in combination with chemoradiotherapy: the French experiencePhilippe Menei
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Inserm U646, CHU d Angers, Angers, France
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1740-6. 2010..Carmustine-releasing wafers (Gliadel have been available and reimbursed in France since 2005...
- FDG-PET predicts survival in recurrent high-grade gliomas treated with bevacizumab and irinotecanCecile Colavolpe
Service Central de Biophysique et Médecine Nucléaire, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Marseille, CHU Timone, Aix Marseille University, Marseille, France
Neuro Oncol 14:649-57. 2012..This study provides the first evidence that pretreatment FDG-PET can serve as an imaging biomarker in recurrent HGG for predicting survival following anti-angiogenic therapy with bevacizumab...
- Somatic gain-of-function HIF2A mutations in sporadic central nervous system hemangioblastomasDavid Taieb
Department of Nuclear Medicine, La Timone University Hospital and CERIMED and Inserm UMR1068 Marseille Cancerology Research Center, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Aix Marseille University, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 13385, Marseille, France
J Neurooncol 126:473-81. 2016..Our data support the unique central role of the VHL/HIF-2α signaling pathway in the molecular pathogenesis of CNS-HBs and show for the first time the presence of HIF2A mutations in sporadic HB. ..
- Supratentorial clear cell ependymomas with branching capillaries demonstrate characteristic clinicopathological features and pathological activation of nuclear factor-kappaB signalingDominique Figarella-Branger
Department of Pathology and Neuropathology, Assistance Publique des Hôpitaux de Marseille APHM, CHU Timone, Marseille, France D F B, E T, A M d P, C B Aix Marseille Université, INSERM, Marseille, France D F B, E T, C B, C C Department of Pathology, CHU Caen, hôpital de la Côte de Nacre, Caen, France E L Z Department of Neurooncology, APHM, Marseille, France E T Department of Neuropathology, University of Bonn, Medical Center Sigmund Freud, Bonn, Germany S J, T P Department of Pathology and Neuropathology, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Bron, France A J Department of Pathology, CHU de Saint Etienne, Saint Etienne, France F F Department of Neuropathology, CHU Sainte Anne, Paris, France F A Department of Pathology, CHU de Brest, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Winnipeg
Neuro Oncol 18:919-27. 2016..In addition, trisomy 19 is a genomic hallmark of ependymomas with rich branching capillaries. However, the relation of histological and molecular subtypes is unclear...
- Meningeal Rosai-Dorfman disease mimicking meningiomaFabien Forest
Department of Pathology and Neuropathology, Timone Hospital, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 18285 CEDEX 5, Marseille, France
Ann Hematol 93:937-40. 2014....
- Assessment of prognostic scores in brain metastases from breast cancerEmeline Tabouret
APHM, Timone Hospital, Departement of Neuro Oncology, Marseille, France E T L institut Paoli Calmettes, Department of Medical Oncology, Marseille, France E T, A G APHM, Timone Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Marseille, France P M L institut Paoli Calmettes, Department of Biostatistics, Marseille, France B E UMR911, CRO2, Aix Marseille Universite, Marseille, France P M L institut Paoli Calmettes, Department of Anatomic Pathology, Marseille, France E C J L institut Paoli Calmettes, Department of Radiotherapy, Marseille, France A T
Neuro Oncol 16:421-8. 2014..We evaluated the prognostic value and validity of the 6 proposed scoring systems in an independent population of BC patients with BM...
- Comprehensive genome characterization of solitary fibrous tumors using high-resolution array-based comparative genomic hybridizationFrancois Bertucci
Département d Oncologie Moléculaire, Institut Paoli Calmettes, CRCM, UMR1068 Inserm, Marseille, France
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 52:156-64. 2013..A total of 425 genes without CNV showed copy number transition in at least one sample, but only but only 1 in at least 10% of samples. The genomic profiles of meningeal and extra-meningeal cases did not show any differences...
- Cervicosternotomy as an anterior approach to the upper thoracic and cervicothoracic spinal junctionStephane Fuentes
Department of Neurosurgery, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire, Timone, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg Spine 12:160-4. 2010..When operating on this specific area (for tumor or trauma), the aim is generally to decompress and stabilize the spine. The authors describe an improved median sternotomy method for reaching the anterior aspect of the spine down to T-5...
- Combined treatment by octreotide and everolimus: Octreotide enhances inhibitory effect of everolimus in aggressive meningiomasThomas Graillon
Aix Marseille Universite, CNRS CRN2M UMR 7286, 13344, Marseille edex 15, France
J Neurooncol 124:33-43. 2015..We have demonstrated a co-operative action between everolimus and octreotide on cell proliferation in human meningiomas, including aggressive ones, establishing the basis for a clinical trial. ..
- Association of matrix metalloproteinase 2 plasma level with response and survival in patients treated with bevacizumab for recurrent high-grade gliomaEmeline Tabouret
Aix Marseille Universite, Inserm CRO2, Marseille, France E T, F B, D F B, L O, O C Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille AP HM, CHU Timone, Service de Neuro Oncologie, Marseille, France E T, M B, M M, C B Aix Marseille Université, Public Health Research Unit EA3279 AP HM, Marseille, France A L Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP, Hopital Avicenne, Service de Neurologie, Bobigny, France A C Université Paris Descartes, Laboratoire de Recherches Biochirurgicales, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France A C INSERM U 975, CNRS UMR 7225, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Centre de Recherche de l Institut du Cerveau et de la Moëlle épinière UMR S975, Paris, France M S AP HP, Service Neurologie 2, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France M S AP HM, CHU Timone, Service de Neurochirurgie
Neuro Oncol 16:392-9. 2014..We evaluated the predictive value of selected circulating prebiomarkers involved in neoangiogenesis and invasion on patient outcome in recurrent high-grade glioma treated with bevacizumab...
- Absence of IDH mutation identifies a novel radiologic and molecular subtype of WHO grade II gliomas with dismal prognosisPhilippe Metellus
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille, France
Acta Neuropathol 120:719-29. 2010..These findings could significantly modify the LGG classification and may represent a new tool to guide patient-tailored therapy...
- Systems for long-segment percutaneous spinal fixation: technical feasibility for various indicationsBenjamin Blondel
Universite de la Mediterranee, Service d Orthopedie, CHU Nord, Marseille, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 153:985-91. 2011..New methods of spinal percutaneous fixation are developing very rapidly. However, few studies to date have focused on long-segment methods of instrumentation...
- Multidisciplinary management of giant functional petrous bone paragangliomaThomas Graillon
Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital La Timone, 264 rue Saint Pierre 13385 Marseille cedex 05, Marseille, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 153:85-9; discussion 89. 2011..Tumour residue was treated by gamma knife radiosurgery, without additional growth at the last follow-up. This case illustrates the interest of multidisciplinary management of giant skull base paragangliomas...
- Hypoxia-associated factor expression in low-grade and anaplastic gliomas: a marker of poor outcomeAurelie Tchoghandjian
Aix Marseille Universite, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, 13385 cedex 05, France
Oncotarget . 2016..We provide here first evidence that HAF, a stem-like cell marker, expression is highly correlated to the triple negative aggressive LGG/AG molecular phenotype suggesting that these tumours might arise from cells of different origin...
- 18F-DOPA, a clinically available PET tracer to study brain inflammation?Quentin Sala
From the APHM, Hopital de la Timone, Service Central de Biophysique et Médecine Nucléaire, Marseille Aix Marseille Univ, CERIMED, Marseille APHM, Hopital de la Timone, Service de Neurochirurgie, Marseille APHM, Hopital de la Timone, Service de Neurologie, Marseille APHM, Hopital de la Timone, Service d anatomie pathologique et neuropathologie, Marseille and Aix Marseille Univ, CNRS, UMR7289, INT, Marseille, France
Clin Nucl Med 39:e283-5. 2014..This report suggests it may serve to study brain inflammation...
- High expression of cathepsin B and plasminogen activator inhibitor type-1 are strong predictors of survival in glioblastomasCarole Colin
INSERM U911, Centre de Recherche en Oncologie et Oncopharmacologie CRO2, Angiogenèse, Invasivité et Microenvironnement Tumoral, Faculte de Medecine Timone, 27, Bd Jean Moulin, 13005, Marseille, France
Acta Neuropathol 118:745-54. 2009..These results suggest that cathepsin B and PAI-1 are important biomarkers for the stratification of glioblastoma patients with respect to survival...
- Successful treatment of a giant isolated cerebral mucormycotic (zygomycotic) abscess using endoscopic debridement: case report and therapeutic considerationsPhilippe Metellus
Départamentes de Neurochirurgie, Hopital Timone, Marseille, France
Surg Neurol 69:510-5; discussion 515. 2008..Cerebral mucormycosis without rhino-orbital or systemic involvement is an extremely rare condition mostly associated with parenteral drug abuse...
- Multicentric French study on adult intracranial ependymomas: prognostic factors analysis and therapeutic considerations from a cohort of 152 patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Brain 130:1338-49. 2007..The role of adjuvant radiotherapy for patients with incompletely resected low-grade ependymomas seems to be beneficial but remains to be addressed for high-grade tumours...
- Correlation between O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase and survival in inoperable newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients treated with neoadjuvant temozolomideOlivier L Chinot
Unité de Neuro Oncologie, Service de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Timone, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, and Université de la Méditerranée, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Marseille, France
J Clin Oncol 25:1470-5. 2007..This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and safety of a 7-day on/7-day off regimen of temozolomide before radiotherapy (RT) in patients with inoperable newly diagnosed glioblastoma...
- Prospective controlled trial of gamma knife surgery for essential trigeminal neuralgiaJean Regis
Departments of Functional Neurosurgery and Neurology, Timone University Hospital, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg 104:913-24. 2006..Stereotactic radiosurgery is an alternative to conventional surgery for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. The authors conducted a prospective evaluation of the safety and efficacy of this method in a large series of patients...
- Recent trends in epidemiology of brain metastases: an overviewEmeline Tabouret
AP HM, Timone Hospital, Departement of Neuro oncology and Neuro surgery, Marseille, France
Anticancer Res 32:4655-62. 2012..The recent emergence of targeted therapies and growing knowledge regarding the specific biology of BM should allow further improvements in prognosis of this devastating disease...
- In Vivo Tumour Mapping Using Electrocorticography Alterations During Awake Brain Surgery: A Pilot StudySalah Boussen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, CHU Timone, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Aix Marseille Universite, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 13005, Cedex 5 Marseille, France
Brain Topogr 29:766-82. 2016..We found significant spectral and connectivity ECoG changes for cortical tumours, which allowed tumour recognition. Artificial neural algorithm pattern recognition seems promising for electrode classification in awake tumour surgery. ..
- Adrenomedullin blockade induces regression of tumor neovessels through interference with vascular endothelial-cadherin signallingGhizlane Khalfaoui-Bendriss
Aix Marseille Universite, CRO2, UMR_S 911, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Oncotarget 6:7536-53. 2015..Targeting AM system may present a novel therapeutic target to selectively disrupt assembly and induce regression of nascent tumor neovessels, without affecting normal stabilized vasculature. ..
- Patients with brain metastases from colorectal cancer are not condemnedDiane Mege
Department of Digestive and Oncological Surgery, Timone Hospital, Aix Marseille University, Marseille, France
Anticancer Res 33:5645-8. 2013..They usually occur in advanced stages of the disease and their prognosis is poor. The aim of this study was to assess the impact of surgical resection of BMs from colorectal cancer in terms of overall survival...
- Single anterior procedure for stabilization of a three-part fracture of the axis (odontoid dens and hangman fracture): case reportBenjamin Blondel
Department of Neurosurgery, CHU Timone, Marseille, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E255-7. 2009..A case of a 3-part fracture of the axis combining an odontoid dens and a hangman fracture is reported...
- Linezolid for treatment of subdural empyema due to Streptococcus: case reportsLaurent Lefebvre
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, CHU Timone, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Surg Neurol 71:89-91; discussion 91. 2009..Recurring subdural empyema despite adequate surgical drainage and antibiotic treatment is still a life-threatening disease. This is mainly due to poor diffusion of the antibiotic into the subdural space...
- Correlations between MR and endothelial hyperplasia in low-grade gliomasVirginie Callot
Centre de Résonance Magnétique Biologique et Médicale CRMBM, UMR CNRS 6612, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:52-60. 2007....
- Use of a self-expanding stent with balloon angioplasty in the treatment of dural arteriovenous fistulas involving the transverse and/or sigmoid sinus: functional and neuroimaging-based outcome in 10 patientsOlivier Levrier
Department of Neuroradiology, Timone Hospital, University of Aix Marseille II, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg 104:254-63. 2006..The goal of this study was to evaluate the clinical and angiography results in 10 patients with transverse-sigmoid dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs) treated using sinus angioplasty and dural sinus stent insertion...
- Neurocognitive function impairment after whole brain radiotherapy for brain metastases: actual assessmentAgnès V Tallet
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Radiat Oncol 7:77. 2012....
- Functional cerebral venous outflow in swine and baboon: feasibility of an intracranial venous hypertension modelPascale Lavoie
L2PTV Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et de Therapeutique Vasculaire, Faculté de médecine AIX Marseille, Marseille, France
J Invest Surg 21:323-9. 2008..To evaluate the feasibility of performing a functional cerebral venous outflow blockage in two large animals species, the swine and the baboon, for elaboration of venous hypertension models...
- Brainstem metastases: management using gamma knife radiosurgeryStephane Fuentes
Neurosurgical Service, Timone University Hospital Center, Marseille, France
Neurosurgery 58:37-42; discussion 37-42. 2006..Surgical risks are high and standard radiation or chemotherapy have little effect. The purpose of this study is to evaluate our experience using Gamma Knife radiosurgery (GKRS) for the management of brainstem metastasis...