- Infratentorial ependymomas: prognostic factors and outcome analysis in a multi-center retrospective series of 106 adult patientsJacques Guyotat
Department of Neurosurgery, Pierre Wertheimer GHE Neurological Hospital, Lyon, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151:947-60. 2009..This study was undertaken to analyze outcomes and to assess the prognostic impact of age, location, surgery, radiotherapy (RT), and histopathology in a series of adult infratentorial ependymomas...
- [Global brain metastases management strategy: a multidisciplinary-based approach]P Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire La Timone, AP HM, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Groupe de réflexion sur la prise en charge des métastases cérébrales GRPCMaC, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France Centre de recherche en oncologie et oncopharmacologie CRO2, Faculte de Medecine Timone, Universite Aix Marseille, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Inserm U911, Faculte de Medecine Timone, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Electronic address
Cancer Radiother 19:61-5. 2015..In this article, we propose a management strategy based on the state of current knowledge and available therapeutic resources. ..
- [Surgery of brain metastases]P Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, CHU La Timone, AP HM, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Groupe de réflexion sur la prise en charge des métastases cérébrales GRPCMaC, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France Centre de recherche en oncologie et onco pharmacologie CRO2, Faculte de Medecine Timone, Universite Aix Marseille, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Inserm U911, Faculte de Medecine Timone, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France Electronic address
Cancer Radiother 19:20-4. 2015..Surgical resection currently represents a valuable tool in the armamentarium of brain metastases but has also become a diagnostic and decision tool that can affect therapeutic strategies in these patients. ..
- Magnetic resonance metabolic imaging of gliomaPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital de la Timone, APHM, 13005 Marseille, France
Sci Transl Med 4:116ps1. 2012..This approach could have valuable implications for diagnosis, prognosis, and stratification of brain tumors, as well as for monitoring of treatment in glioma patients...
- [Prognostic implications of biologic markers in intracranial meningiomas: 120 cases]P Metellus
Service de Neurochirurgie, Departement de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille Cedex 05, France
Neurochirurgie 54:750-6. 2008....
- [Endoscopic treatment of a voluminous benign symptomatic cyst of the pineal region responsible for an obstructive hydrocephalus]Ph Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05
Neurochirurgie 51:173-8. 2005..Endoscopic treatment of symptomatic pineal cysts constitutes an interesting therapeutic alternative in the management of this pathology...
- Adult intracranial WHO grade II ependymomas: long-term outcome and prognostic factor analysis in a series of 114 patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Neuro Oncol 12:976-84. 2010..Interestingly, tumor location also seems to have an actual impact on both OS and PFS. Finally, the prognostic impact of RT was found to be beneficial for incompletely resected tumors...
- Prognostic impact of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase silencing in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who undergo surgery and carmustine wafer implantation: a prospective patient cohortPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Cancer 115:4783-94. 2009..In this study, the authors evaluated the prognostic value of different biomarkers in recurrent GBM and analyzed the changes in MGMT status between primary tumors and recurrent tumors...
- [Intracranial ependymomas in adult patients. Retrospective analysis of 121 cases from the multicentric French study]P Metellus
Service de neurochirurgie du Professeur Grisoli, Hopital de la Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Neurochirurgie 53:66-75. 2007..Furthermore, our data suggest that postoperative radiotherapy significantly increases progression-free survival in patients with incompletely resected grade II tumors...
- Spinal Langerhans' cell histiocytosis in a young adult: case report and therapeutic considerationsP Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseilles, France
Br J Neurosurg 21:228-30. 2007..In this young patient a modified anterior cervicotomy allowed a comfortable approach to the anterior aspect of T3 vertebra for spinal fixation...
- Multicentric French study on adult intracranial ependymomas: prognostic factors analysis and therapeutic considerations from a cohort of 152 patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Brain 130:1338-49. 2007..The role of adjuvant radiotherapy for patients with incompletely resected low-grade ependymomas seems to be beneficial but remains to be addressed for high-grade tumours...
- Solitary fibrous tumors of the central nervous system: clinicopathological and therapeutic considerations of 18 casesPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital de la Timone, 13005 Marseille, France
Neurosurgery 60:715-22; discussion 722. 2007..This is a retrospective study of 18 patients harboring a solitary fibrous tumor of the central nervous system. Therapeutic management and outcome were analyzed...
- Absence of IDH mutation identifies a novel radiologic and molecular subtype of WHO grade II gliomas with dismal prognosisPhilippe Metellus
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille, France
Acta Neuropathol 120:719-29. 2010..These findings could significantly modify the LGG classification and may represent a new tool to guide patient-tailored therapy...
- Retrospective study of 77 patients harbouring lumbar synovial cysts: functional and neurological outcomeP Metellus
Neurosurgery Department, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:47-54; discussion 54. 2006..The authors report a retrospective analysis of the clinical presentation, radiological studies and operative findings in 77 patients surgically treated for symptomatic lumbar synovial cysts at their institution...
- [Value of relative cerebral blood volume measurement using perfusion MRI in glioma management]P Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Hopital La Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13005 Marseille cedex 05, France
Neurochirurgie 54:503-11. 2008..Conventional MR imaging does not assess this histological feature accurately. The goal of this study was to evaluate the gain in relative cerebral blood volume measurement using perfusion MRI in the management of cerebral gliomas...
- Supratentorial ependymomas: prognostic factors and outcome analysis in a retrospective series of 46 adult patientsPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Cancer 113:175-85. 2008..The authors report a series of adult patients with supratentorial ependymomas to characterize the roles of surgery and histology in tumor control...
- Successful treatment of a giant isolated cerebral mucormycotic (zygomycotic) abscess using endoscopic debridement: case report and therapeutic considerationsPhilippe Metellus
Départamentes de Neurochirurgie, Hopital Timone, Marseille, France
Surg Neurol 69:510-5; discussion 515. 2008..Cerebral mucormycosis without rhino-orbital or systemic involvement is an extremely rare condition mostly associated with parenteral drug abuse...
- IDH mutation status impact on in vivo hypoxia biomarkers expression: new insights from a clinical, nuclear imaging and immunohistochemical study in 33 glioma patientsPhilippe Metellus
Hopital de la Timone, Service de Neurochirurgie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, 13000 Marseille, France
J Neurooncol 105:591-600. 2011..24 versus 2.15 in IDH-nonmutated tumors (P = 0.775). Together, these data question the actual relationship between IDH mutation status and in vivo hypoxic biomarkers expression in WHO grade II and III gliomas...
- Prognostic impact of CD133 mRNA expression in 48 glioblastoma patients treated with concomitant radiochemotherapy: a prospective patient cohort at a single institutionPhilippe Metellus
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille, France
Ann Surg Oncol 18:2937-45. 2011..To address this question we investigated the relationship between CD133 mRNA expression and patient outcome in a glioblastoma patient cohort...
- Adrenomedullin expression and regulation in human glioblastoma, cultured human glioblastoma cell lines and pilocytic astrocytomaPhilippe Metellus
INSERM UMR 911, Faculte de Medecine Timone, 13385 Marseille, France
Eur J Cancer 47:1727-35. 2011....
- [Endovascular treatment of benign intracranial hypertension by stent placement in the transverse sinus. Therapeutic and pathophysiological considerations illustrated by a case report]Ph Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille
Neurochirurgie 51:113-20. 2005..CSF pressure on lumbar puncture was 11 mmHg. The pathophysiological aspects and therapeutic management of this pathology illustrated by this are discussed along with a careful and exhaustive review of the literature...
- [Endovascular treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Analysis of eight consecutive patients]P Metellus
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Neurochirurgie 53:10-7. 2007..Idiopathic intracranial hypertension is caused by venous sinus obstruction in an unknown percentage of cases. Recently, endoluminal venous sinus stenting was proposed as an alternative treatment...
- [Idiopathic acute obstructive hydrocephalus. Case report]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, CHRU de La Timone Adulte, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Neurochirurgie 52:47-51. 2006..The explanation of this acute hydrocephalus is the acute decompensation without identifiable cause of idiopathic stenosis of the foramen of Magendie and Luschka. Treatment with endoscopic third ventriculostomy is effective...
- [Endoscopic third ventriculostomy for management of obstructive hydrocephalus secondary to supratentorial intraventricular hematoma. Case report]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille
Neurochirurgie 48:510-5. 2002..We cannot affirm that the removal of the clots and ventriculocisternostomy versus temporary external drainage avoids secondary hydrocephalus...
- [Metastatic meningioma to the first thoracic vertebral body. A case report and review of the literature]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hospital de la Timone, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marsielle Cedex 5, France
Neurochirurgie 48:53-6. 2002..A resection of the vertebral T1 body with C7-T2 osteosynthesis was performed with an excellent recovery and no postoperative complication...
- [Traumatic spondylolisthesis of the axis: arguments in favor of surgical management after analysis of 8 patients]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, CHU de la Timone, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5
Neurochirurgie 49:25-30. 2003..The purpose of this report is to assess the efficacy of primary surgical stabilization in the management of traumatic C2 spondylolisthesis...
- [Operative treatment of complex lombosacral fracture dislocation: L5 chance fracture with trans S1-S2 dislocation]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie Pr F Grisoli, Hôpital de La Timone Adulte, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5
Neurochirurgie 52:376-80. 2006..Decompression of neural impingement and stabilization of fractures by osteosynthesis appear to be a useful alternative that allows patients to stand again and begin rehabilitation quickly...
- [Transsacral approach to lumbosacral extraforaminal disc herniations]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, CHRU de La Timone Adulte, Marseille
Neurochirurgie 51:584-90. 2005..This study reports our experience in the treatment of L5-S1 EDH using the transsacral approach described by Muller and Reulen in 1998...
- Intracerebral administration of CpG oligonucleotide for patients with recurrent glioblastoma: a phase II studyAlexandre Carpentier
Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Neuro Oncol 12:401-8. 2010..The molecular or clinical characteristics of a subgroup of patients that could potentially benefit from such an approach remain to be defined...
- [The value of dynamic cervical MRI in management of selected patients presenting traumatic cervical cord injury]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie, CHRU de la Timone, rue Saint Pierre, 13005 Marseille
Neurochirurgie 52:515-9. 2006..The purpose of this report is to describe our experience with dynamic cervical MRI for detection of cervical spinal cord instability in patients presenting spinal cord trauma without fracture or dislocation of the spinal column...
- [Intracranial aneurysm revealed by panhypopituitarism. Considerations on therapeutic management based on a case report and review of the literature]Ph Metellus
Département de Neurochirurgie Pr Grisoli, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille
Neurochirurgie 49:611-5. 2003..At one year, cerebral angiograms confirmed complete obliteration of the aneurysm. Therapeutic management of this rare entity is discussed along with a careful and exhaustive review of the literature...
- [Hydroxyurea treatment for unresectable meningioma]S Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie Pr F Grisoli, Hôpital de La Timone Adulte, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille 5
Neurochirurgie 50:461-7. 2004..Recent data have suggested that hydroxyurea treatment may have an antitumoral effect. The purpose of this prospective phase II study was to evaluate the efficacy of hydroxyurea treatment for unresectable progressive meningioma...
- Open kyphoplasty for management of severe osteoporotic spinal fracturesStephane Fuentes
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France sfuentes ap hm fr
Neurosurgery 64:350-4; discussion 354-5. 2009..These lesions require decompression surgery with or without spinal stabilization procedures. In this article, we present the preliminary results obtained using open kyphoplasty, a new method of treating vertebral compression disorders...
- Cervicosternotomy as an anterior approach to the upper thoracic and cervicothoracic spinal junctionStephane Fuentes
Department of Neurosurgery, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire, Timone, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg Spine 12:160-4. 2010..When operating on this specific area (for tumor or trauma), the aim is generally to decompress and stabilize the spine. The authors describe an improved median sternotomy method for reaching the anterior aspect of the spine down to T-5...
- Biodegradable carmustine wafers (Gliadel) alone or in combination with chemoradiotherapy: the French experiencePhilippe Menei
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Inserm U646, CHU d Angers, Angers, France
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1740-6. 2010..Carmustine-releasing wafers (Gliadel have been available and reimbursed in France since 2005...
- Prospective controlled trial of gamma knife surgery for essential trigeminal neuralgiaJean Regis
Departments of Functional Neurosurgery and Neurology, Timone University Hospital, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg 104:913-24. 2006..Stereotactic radiosurgery is an alternative to conventional surgery for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. The authors conducted a prospective evaluation of the safety and efficacy of this method in a large series of patients...
- Correlation between O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase and survival in inoperable newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients treated with neoadjuvant temozolomideOlivier L Chinot
Unité de Neuro Oncologie, Service de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Timone, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, and Université de la Méditerranée, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Marseille, France
J Clin Oncol 25:1470-5. 2007..This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and safety of a 7-day on/7-day off regimen of temozolomide before radiotherapy (RT) in patients with inoperable newly diagnosed glioblastoma...
- Percutaneous kyphoplasty and pedicle screw fixation for the management of thoraco-lumbar burst fracturesStephane Fuentes
Service de neurochirurgie Pr Dufour, Hopital de la Timone, Universite de la Mediterranee, 249 rue Saint Pierre, 13005 Marseille, France
Eur Spine J 19:1281-7. 2010..It provides a short hospital stay, however, and might therefore constitute a useful alternative to open surgical methods...
- FDG-PET to predict different patterns of progression in multicentric glioblastoma: a case reportCecile Colavolpe
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire de la Timone CHU Timone, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 13385, Marseille Cedex 5, France
J Neurooncol 90:47-51. 2008..This report illustrates the potential interest of FDG-PET in multicentric GBMs to identify different metabolic patterns, in accordance with clinical, morphological, and molecular aggressiveness...
- Use of a self-expanding stent with balloon angioplasty in the treatment of dural arteriovenous fistulas involving the transverse and/or sigmoid sinus: functional and neuroimaging-based outcome in 10 patientsOlivier Levrier
Department of Neuroradiology, Timone Hospital, University of Aix Marseille II, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg 104:254-63. 2006..The goal of this study was to evaluate the clinical and angiography results in 10 patients with transverse-sigmoid dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs) treated using sinus angioplasty and dural sinus stent insertion...
- Giant fusiform intracranial A2 aneurysm: endovascular and surgical treatment. Case illustrationStephane Fuentes
Service de Neurochirurgie et Neuroradiologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire La Timone, Marseille, France
J Neurosurg 101:704. 2004
- Brainstem metastases: management using gamma knife radiosurgeryStephane Fuentes
Neurosurgical Service, Timone University Hospital Center, Marseille, France
Neurosurgery 58:37-42; discussion 37-42. 2006..Surgical risks are high and standard radiation or chemotherapy have little effect. The purpose of this study is to evaluate our experience using Gamma Knife radiosurgery (GKRS) for the management of brainstem metastasis...
- Polysialic acid neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM) is an adverse prognosis factor in glioblastoma, and regulates olig2 expression in glioma cell linesMarie Claude Amoureux
Université de la Méditerranée CNRS UMR6216, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, Marseille, France
BMC Cancer 10:91. 2010..Here, we studied its expression in GBM and evaluated its prognosis value for overall survival (OS) and disease free survival (DFS)...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor in glioblastomas: correlation between gene copy number and protein expressionBema Coulibaly
Département d Anatomie Pathologie et de Neuropathologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Timone, 13005 Marseille, France
Hum Pathol 41:815-23. 2010..However, cases with an immunohistochemistry score less 200 require further testing by fluorescence in situ hybridization or quantitative polymerase chain reaction...
- [Participation in the national experiment of cancer diagnosis disclosure in neuro-oncology: implications and the perception of the health care team]Benoît Tivoli
Unité de Neuro Oncologie, CHU Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05
Bull Cancer 92:373-80. 2005..Organization of a particular time devoted to cancer announcement appear to have a favourable impact on quality of care and patient perception, and constitute a first step to a personalized management of patients with cancer...
- Lack of alkaline phosphatase activity predicts meningioma recurrenceCorinne Bouvier
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Am J Clin Pathol 124:252-8. 2005..In univariate analysis, Pal expression was the only variable correlated with recurrence-free survival (P = .035). Histochemical detection of Pal is a useful, easy, and low-cost technique to predict recurrence in meningiomas...
- Linezolid for treatment of subdural empyema due to Streptococcus: case reportsLaurent Lefebvre
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, CHU Timone, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Surg Neurol 71:89-91; discussion 91. 2009..Recurring subdural empyema despite adequate surgical drainage and antibiotic treatment is still a life-threatening disease. This is mainly due to poor diffusion of the antibiotic into the subdural space...
- A2B5 cells from human glioblastoma have cancer stem cell propertiesAurelie Tchoghandjian
Universite de la Mediterranee Aix Marseille II, Faculté de médecine La Timone, INSERM UMR911 CRO2, Angiogenèse, Invasivité et Microenvironnement Tumoral, Marseille Cedex 05, France
Brain Pathol 20:211-21. 2010..Taken together, our results suggest that transformed A2B5(+) cells are crucial for the initiation and maintenance of GBM, although CD133 expression is more involved in determining the tumor's behavior...
- Single anterior procedure for stabilization of a three-part fracture of the axis (odontoid dens and hangman fracture): case reportBenjamin Blondel
Department of Neurosurgery, CHU Timone, Marseille, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E255-7. 2009..A case of a 3-part fracture of the axis combining an odontoid dens and a hangman fracture is reported...
- Brown-Sequard-type myelopathy due to cervical disc herniation associated with severe carotid stenosis prompting rapid combined corpectomy and carotid endarterectomy under deep anticoagulant therapyMehdi Laghmari
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone University Hospital, 264 rue Saint Pierre, 13005 Marseille, France
Spine J 9:e15-9. 2009....
- [AP-HM tumour tissue bank: molecular signature of gliomas]Dominique Figarella-Branger
Laboratoire de Biopathologie de l Adhésion et de la Signalisation, Faculte de Medecine Timone, Marseille, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:54-9. 2006..Quantification of a series of markers involved in angiogenesis and invasion was done as well as cDNA array analysis...
- Correlations between MR and endothelial hyperplasia in low-grade gliomasVirginie Callot
Centre de Résonance Magnétique Biologique et Médicale CRMBM, UMR CNRS 6612, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:52-60. 2007....
- [Magnetic resonance spectroscopy in gliomas]Damien Galanaud
CRMBM UMR CNRS 6612, Faculte de Medecine, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05
Bull Cancer 92:327-31. 2005..Ongoing and future studies may also precise the place of MRS in the differential diagnosis between high grade glioma, metastasis and CNS lymphoma, as well as in monitoring therapy in glioma...
- Spinal epidural abscessDaniele Rigamonti
N Engl J Med 356:638; author reply 638-9. 2007
- Deletions of chromosomes 1p and 19q are detectable on frozen smears of gliomas by FISH: usefulness for stereotactic biopsiesCorinne Bouvier
Laboratoire de Biopathologie Nerveuse et Musculaire, EA 3281, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
J Neurooncol 68:141-9. 2004..In conclusion, these two techniques can be used to investigate 1p/19q status in gliomas. The appropriate choice of one or other of these two techniques will depend on the specific questions that need to be answered...
- Sensitivity and predictive value of occupational and physical therapy assessments in the functional evaluation of patients with suspected normal pressure hydrocephalusDavid Feick
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Rehabil Med 40:715-20. 2008....