- Quantification of acetogenins in Annona muricata linked to atypical parkinsonism in guadeloupePierre Champy
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy, UMR 8076 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique BioCIS, Faculte de Pharmacie Paris XI, Chatenay Malabry, France
Mov Disord 20:1629-33. 2005....
- Is atypical parkinsonism in the Caribbean caused by the consumption of Annonacae?A Lannuzel
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, France
J Neural Transm Suppl . 2006..These studies reinforce the concept that consumption of Annonaceae may contribute to the pathogenesis of atypical parkinsonism in Guadeloupe...
- Atypical parkinsonism in the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe: etiological role of the mitochondrial complex I inhibitor annonacinAnnie Lannuzel
INSERM, UMR_S 679, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Mov Disord 23:2122-8. 2008..Consistent with this view, chronic administration of annonacin to rats through Alzet osmotic minipumps showed that annonacin was able to reproduce the brain lesions characteristic of the human disease...
- Atypical parkinsonism in Guadeloupe: a common risk factor for two closely related phenotypes?Annie Lannuzel
Department of Neurology, Hospital of Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, F W I
Brain 130:816-27. 2007....
- The mitochondrial complex I inhibitor rotenone triggers a cerebral tauopathyGünter U Höglinger
INSERM U679, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Neurochem 95:930-9. 2005..Our data suggest that chronic respiratory chain dysfunction might trigger a form of neurodegeneration in which accumulation of hyperphosphorylated tau protein predominates over deposits of alpha-synuclein...
- REM sleep behavior disorder in patients with guadeloupean parkinsonism, a tauopathyValerie Cochen De Cock
Service de Neurologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Sleep 30:1026-32. 2007..It is possibly caused by the ingestion of sour sop (corossol), a tropical fruit containing acetogenins, which are mitochondrial poisons...
- Annonacin, a lipophilic inhibitor of mitochondrial complex I, induces nigral and striatal neurodegeneration in rats: possible relevance for atypical parkinsonism in GuadeloupePierre Champy
Experimental Neurology and Therapeutics, INSERM U289, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Neurochem 88:63-9. 2004....
- Predominant cortical dysfunction in Guadeloupean parkinsonismEmmanuelle Apartis
Department of Physiology, Saint Antoine Hospital, AP HP, Paris VI University, Paris, France
Brain 131:2701-9. 2008..This electrophysiological study, added to previous clinical, neuropsychological and neuroradiological studies, has enriched the characterization of Guadeloupean atypical parkinsonism, which thus appears to be a new clinical entity...
- The PSP-associated MAPT H1 subhaplotype in Guadeloupean atypical parkinsonismAgnes Camuzat
INSERM, UMR_S 679, Neurology and Experimental Therapeutics, Paris, France
Mov Disord 23:2384-91. 2008..The major H1 subhaplotype in Guadeloupe, determined by analysis of linkage desequibrium, differed from the major Caucasian subhaplotype, but corresponded to minor alleles previously described...
- Toxicity of Annonaceae for dopaminergic neurons: potential role in atypical parkinsonism in GuadeloupeAnnie Lannuzel
Service de Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire des Antilles et de la Guyane, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, France
Mov Disord 17:84-90. 2002..It is therefore conceivable that repeated consumption could cause the neuronal dysfunction and degeneration underlying the West Indian parkinsonian syndrome...
- Neurological manifestations of Behçet's disease in a Caribbean population: clinical and imaging findingsAnnie Lannuzel
Department of Neurology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire des Antilles et de la Guyane, 97159, Pointe A Pitre cedex, Guadeloupe, French West Indies, France
J Neurol 249:410-8. 2002..This study suggests that the frequency of BD in this Afro-Caribbean population is higher than this reported in Caucasian populations. Meningoencephalitis is associated with a poor prognosis while other patients achieved recovery...
- Encephalomyelitis with rigidity complicating human immunodeficiency virus infectionAnnie Lannuzel
Department of Neurology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire des Antilles et de la Guyane, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, French West Indies, France
Mov Disord 17:202-4. 2002..Clinical features and possible viral aetiology of progressive encephalomyelitis with rigidity are briefly discussed...
- Guadeloupean parkinsonism: a cluster of progressive supranuclear palsy-like tauopathyDominique Caparros-Lefebvre
Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de la Guadeloupe, Pointe a Pitre, French West Indies
Brain 125:801-11. 2002..A cluster of cases presenting with atypical parkinsonism is reported. Guadeloupean parkinsonism may prove to be a tauopathy identical or closely related to PSP...
- Experimental evidence for a toxic etiology of tropical parkinsonismGünter U Höglinger
Mov Disord 20:118-9. 2005