- My passion for extreme conditions to solve the cytochrome P450 and NO synthase reaction mechanismsReinhard Lange
INSERM U128, IFR122, 1919 Route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:103-7. 2003..These exciting achievements were initiated by numerous discussions with Professor Gunsalus and also reflect a long-lasting collaboration and friendship...
- Modulation of prion protein structure by pressure and temperatureJoan Torrent
INSERM U710, CC 105, IFR 122, Universite Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, F 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1764:546-51. 2006..In this paper, we discuss the mechanism and the origin of these opposing effects of pressure, taking the truncated form of hamster prion protein (SHaPrP(90-231)) as a model...
- Alternative prion structural changes revealed by high pressureJoan Torrent
INSERM U128, 1919 Route de Mende, F 34293 Montpellier cedex 5, France
Biochemistry 42:1318-25. 2003..At pressures over 400 MPa, strong thioflavin-T binding was observed, suggesting a further structural change to a metastable oligomeric structure...
- Structural instability and fibrillar aggregation of non-expanded human ataxin-3 revealed under high pressure and temperatureStephane Marchal
INSERM U128, IFR 122, 1919 Route de Mende, F 34293 Montpellier cedex 5, France
J Biol Chem 278:31554-63. 2003..Several intermediate structures were detected in this process. Two factors appear to govern ataxin unfolding and aggregation, the length of the polyglutamine tract and its protein context...
- Hunting oxygen complexes of nitric oxide synthase at low temperature and high pressureStephane Marchal
INSERM U710, Place Eugene Bataillon, Universite Montpellier II, Montpellier, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338:529-35. 2005..Finally, work in the presence of a BH4 analog indicated that proton transfer to the activated oxygen complex is a second essential function of BH4...
- The role of the 132-160 region in prion protein conformational transitionsJoan Torrent
INSERM U710, CC 105, Université de Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, F 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Protein Sci 14:956-67. 2005..Furthermore, salt-induced conformational changes suggested a structural stabilizing role of Tyr150 and Phe141 residues, slowing down the conversion to a beta-sheet form...
- High-pressure studies of the reaction mechanism of nitric-oxide synthaseAntonius C F Gorren
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1764:578-85. 2006..This exposition is followed by a summary of the results obtained thus far in high-pressure studies and of the conclusions that can be drawn from them...
- Pressure equilibrium and jump study on unfolding of 23-kDa protein from spinach photosystem IICui Yan Tan
Key Laboratory of Proteomics, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Biophys J 88:1264-75. 2005..The diverse pressure-refolding pathways of 23-kDa protein in some conditions were revealed in pressure-jump kinetics...
- Pressure- and temperature-induced unfolding studies: thermodynamics of core hydrophobicity and packing of ribonuclease AJosep Font
Laboratori d Enginyeria de Proteïnes, Departament de Biologia, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat de Girona, Campus de Montilivi s n, E 17071 Girona, Spain
Biol Chem 387:285-96. 2006....
- High pressure induces scrapie-like prion protein misfolding and amyloid fibril formationJoan Torrent
Université de Montpellier 2, EA3763, Place Eugene Bataillon, F 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Biochemistry 43:7162-70. 2004..Both aggregate types were resistant to digestion by PK, and can be considered as potential scrapie-like forms or precursors. These results may be useful for the search for compounds preventing pathogenic PrP misfolding and aggregation...
- The contribution of the residues from the main hydrophobic core of ribonuclease A to its pressure-folding transition stateJosep Font
Laboratori d Enginyeria de Proteïnes, Departament de Biologia, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat de Girona, 17071 Girona, Spain
Protein Sci 15:1000-9. 2006....
- Comparison of heat- and pressure-induced unfolding of ribonuclease a: the critical role of Phe46 which appears to belong to a new hydrophobic chain-folding initiation siteEri Chatani
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Biochemistry 41:4567-74. 2002..Mutation of Phe46 decreases protein stability by weakening the unfolding cooperativity between these domains. This essential function of Phe46 in RNase A stability indicates that it belongs to a chain-folding initiation site...
- The propeptide in the precursor form of carboxypeptidase Y ensures cooperative unfolding and the carbohydrate moiety exerts a protective effect against heat and pressureMichiko Kato
Laboratory of Biomacromolecular Chemistry, Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 270:4587-93. 2003..The carbohydrate moiety has a slightly protective role in heat-induced unfolding and a highly protective role in pressure-induced unfolding...
- UV-visible derivative spectroscopy under high pressureReinhard Lange
INSERM, Unité 128, IFR 24, CNRS, Montpellier, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1595:80-93. 2002..How to detect these changes? In this paper, via some selected examples, we show the potentiality (but also the limits) of the ultraviolet derivative spectroscopy specially adapted to high pressure experiments...
- Full-length prion protein aggregates to amyloid fibrils and spherical particles by distinct pathwaysDriss El Moustaine
UMR S710 Unit, Département Biologie Santé, Universite Montpellier 2, France
FEBS J 275:2021-31. 2008..The use of high-pressure perturbation thus provides an insight into the molecular mechanism of the first stages of PrP misfolding into amyloids...
- Distinct unfolding and refolding pathways of ribonuclease a revealed by heating and cooling temperature jumpsJoan Torrent
Universite Montpellier 2, UMR S710, and INSERM Unit 710, Montpellier, France
Biophys J 94:4056-65. 2008..A very fast protein folding/unfolding phase appears to precede both processes. The path dependence of the observed kinetics is suggestive of a rugged energy protein folding funnel...
- High pressure: a new tool to study P450 structure and functionFrédéric Bancel
French National Institute for Health and Medical Research U 128, IFR 24, F 34293 Montpellier, France
Methods Enzymol 357:145-57. 2002
- Optimized overproduction, purification, characterization and high-pressure sensitivity of the prion protein in the native (PrP(C)-like) or amyloid (PrP(Sc)-like) conformationMaria Teresa Alvarez-Martinez
INSERM U431, CC100, Dept Biologie Sante, Université de Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, F 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1645:228-40. 2003....
- Formation of transient oxygen complexes of cytochrome p450 BM3 and nitric oxide synthase under high pressureStephane Marchal
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Montpellier, France
Biophys J 85:3303-9. 2003..Altogether, high pressure appears to be a useful tool to characterize elementary steps in the reaction cycle of heme-thiolate proteins...
- Pressure and temperature as tools for investigating the role of individual non-covalent interactions in enzymatic reactions Sulfolobus solfataricus carboxypeptidase as a model enzymeEmanuela Occhipinti
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, I 20126 Milano, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1764:563-72. 2006..e., stacking and van der Waals) are mainly involved, but their contribution varies strongly, probably due to changes in the conformational state of the enzyme...
- High pressure modulates amyloid formationJoan Torrent
INSERM U710, CC 105, Universite Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, F 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Protein Pept Lett 13:271-7. 2006..High pressure can also be used to dissociate aggregates and amyloid fibrils or on the opposite to generate such species...
- Quantitative effects of allosteric ligands and mutations on conformational equilibria in Salmonella typhimurium tryptophan synthaseRobert S Phillips
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, 1001 Cedar Street, Athens, GA 30602 2556, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 470:8-19. 2008..These allosteric effects are finely tuned to control the synthesis of l-Trp without resulting in substrate or product inhibition...
- The use of pressure-jump relaxation kinetics to study protein folding landscapesJoan Torrent
INSERM U710, Universite Montpellier 2, CC105, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1764:489-96. 2006..These results cannot be explained by sequential reaction schemes. Instead, they are in line with a more complex free energy landscape involving multiple pathways...
- Use of hydrostatic pressure to produce 'native' monomers of yeast enolaseM Judith Kornblatt
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec H4B 1R6, Canada
Eur J Biochem 271:3897-904. 2004....
- CO exchange of the oxyferrous complexes of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase oxygenase domain in the presence of 4-amino-tetrahydrobiopterinStephane Marchal
INSERM U431, Département Biologie Santé, Universite Montpellier II, IFR 122, Montpellier, France
J Inorg Biochem 98:1217-22. 2004....
- Evidence of two distinct oxygen complexes of reduced endothelial nitric oxide synthaseStephane Marchal
INSERM U431, Département Biologie Santé, Universite Montpellier II, IFR 122, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Biol Chem 279:19824-31. 2004..Heme-oxy II, which is the oxygen complex competent for product formation, appears to represent a distinct conformation in which the electronic configuration is essentially locked in the ferric superoxide complex...
- Single-turnover of nitric-oxide synthase in the presence of 4-amino-tetrahydrobiopterin: proposed role for tetrahydrobiopterin as a proton donorMorten Sorlie
Department of Chemistry and Biotechnology, Agricultural University of Norway, PO Box 5040, N 1432 As, Norway
J Biol Chem 278:48602-10. 2003..NO and reduced 4-amino-BH4. These results suggest that BH4 donates a proton to Fe(II).O2- during catalysis and that inhibition by 4-amino-BH4 may be due to its inability to support this essential protonation step...
- Redox role for tetrahydrobiopterin in nitric oxide synthase catalysis: low-temperature optical absorption spectral detectionAntonius C F Gorren
Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Methods Enzymol 353:114-21. 2002
- Substrates modulate the rate-determining step for CO binding in cytochrome P450cam (CYP101). A high-pressure stopped-flow studyChristiane Jung
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Protein Dynamics Laboratory, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Biochem 269:2989-96. 2002..In addition, subconformers have been found for the substrate-free and camphane-bound protein which show different CO binding kinetics...
- Thermodynamic analysis of L-arginine and N omega-hydroxy-L-arginine binding to nitric oxide synthaseHenrik Zakariassen
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P O Box 5003, N 1432 Aas, Norway
Biochim Biophys Acta 1784:806-10. 2008..The changes in heat capacity (DeltaC(p)) are relatively small for binding of both NHA and L-Arg (-53+/-18 and -95+/-23 cal/L mol, respectively), which indicates that hydrophobic interactions contribute little to binding...