- Women's attitudes toward preventive strategies for hereditary breast or ovarian carcinoma differ from one country to another: differences among English, French, and Canadian womenC M Julian-Reynier
INSERM U379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Applied to Medical Innovation, Paoli Calmettes Institute, 232 Boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseilles Cedex 9, France
Cancer 92:959-68. 2001..The authors aimed to discover the existence of specific factors that may affect acceptability of these preventative measures...
- Physicians' attitudes towards mammography and prophylactic surgery for hereditary breast/ovarian cancer risk and subsequently published guidelinesC Julian-Reynier
INSERM U379, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseilles, France
Eur J Hum Genet 8:204-8. 2000..Constantly evolving knowledge about the efficacy of preventive intervention will give practitioners new elements to integrate into their counselling...
- French physicians' knowledge about hereditary breast/ovarian cancer: the need for continuing vocational training in geneticsC Julian-Reynier
INSERM U379, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseille, France
Community Genet 2:165-72. 1999..The aim of this study was to determine what medical specialists knew about recent findings in the genetics of breast/ovarian cancer, according to their speciality and the methods they used to keep themselves up to date...
- France: genetics education for non-genetics health care providersClaire Julian-Reynier
INSERM, UMR379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Community Genet 9:227-34. 2006..This paper explores the treatment of medical genetics in undergraduate medical education, specialists' training and continuing medical education (CME) for general practitioners, specialists, nurses and midwives...
- Assessment of care by breast cancer patients participating or not participating in a randomized controlled trial: a report with the Patients' Committee for Clinical Trials of the Ligue Nationale Contre le CancerClaire Julian-Reynier
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Marseille, France
J Clin Oncol 25:3038-44. 2007..Cancer patients participating in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) have not been found to have better clinical outcomes than other patients. Our objective was to assess the impact of RCTs on patients' satisfaction with care...
- Genetics in clinical practice: general practitioners' educational priorities in European countriesClaire Julian-Reynier
INSERM, UMR912, Marseilles, France
Genet Med 10:107-13. 2008..To assess how general practitioners (GPs) from European countries prioritized their genetic educational needs according to their geographic, sociodemographic, and educational characteristics...
- Risk communication strategies: state of the art and effectiveness in the context of cancer genetic servicesClaire Julian-Reynier
1INSERM U379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Applied to Medical Innovation, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Eur J Hum Genet 11:725-36. 2003..In conclusion, this paper adds clinical relevance to the research evidence. We propose specific steps that could be integrated in standard clinical practice based on current evidence for their usefulness/effectiveness...
- Uptake of hereditary breast/ovarian cancer genetic testing in a French national sample of BRCA1 families. The French Cancer Genetic NetworkC Julian-Reynier
Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit INSERM U379, Marseille, France
Psychooncology 9:504-10. 2000..87; p < 0.001); women (43%) also attended more frequently than men (16%) (OR = 3.97, p < 0.001). In French BRCA1 mutated families, female first degree relatives of the index patient show the most interest in genetic testing...
- Disclosure to the family of breast/ovarian cancer genetic test results: patient's willingness and associated factorsC Julian-Reynier
Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U379, Marseille, France
Am J Med Genet 94:13-8. 2000....
- Patients' characteristics and rate of Internet use to obtain cancer informationJulien Mancini
INSERM UMR379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232 Bd Ste Marguerite, F 13273 Marseille cedex 09, France
J Public Health (Oxf) 28:235-7. 2006..6; 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.3-5.1], the most highly educated (adjOR 2.1; 95% CI 1.1-4.0) and those under 41 years of age (adjOR 7.3; 95% CI 2.1-26.2). Almost one of every three women was dissatisfied of this source of information...
- BRCA1/2 carriers: their childbearing plans and theoretical intentions about having preimplantation genetic diagnosis and prenatal diagnosisClaire Julian-Reynier
INSERM, U912, Marseille, France
Genet Med 14:527-34. 2012..To assess the impact of BRCA1/2 test results on carriers' reproductive decision-making and the factors determining their theoretical intentions about preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and prenatal diagnosis (PND)...
- Cross-cultural validation of the Decisional Conflict Scale in a sample of French patientsJulien Mancini
INSERM UMR379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232 Bd Ste Marguerite, B P 156, F 13273, Marseille Cedex 09, France
Qual Life Res 15:1063-8. 2006..The Decisional Conflict Scale (DCS, 16 items, 5 dimensions) designed to measure the level of decisional conflict experienced by patients making health care decisions has not yet been validated in French...
- Cancer risk management strategies and perceptions of unaffected women 5 years after predictive genetic testing for BRCA1/2 mutationsClaire Julian-Reynier
INSERM, U912, IRD, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Eur J Hum Genet 19:500-6. 2011..Informed decision-making involves letting women know whether opting for RRSO and breast MRI surveillance is as effective in terms of survival as RRM and RRSO...
- Impact of gene patents on the cost-effective delivery of care: the case of BRCA1 genetic testingChristine Sevilla
National Institute for Health and Medical Research, INSERM Unit 379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseilles, France
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 19:287-300. 2003..Alternative strategies using prescreening techniques, however, have been experienced worldwide...
- Assessing educational priorities in genetics for general practitioners and specialists in five countries: factor structure of the Genetic-Educational Priorities (Gen-EP) scaleJean Marc Calefato
INSERM, UMR912, Aix Marseille Universite, Marseille, France
Genet Med 10:99-106. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine its factor structure, to test scaling assumptions and to determine internal consistency...
- Time to prophylactic surgery in BRCA1/2 carriers depends on psychological and other characteristicsClaire Julian-Reynier
INSERM, UMR912, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Genet Med 12:801-7. 2010..To investigate the medical and psychosocial factors determining the time to prophylactic surgery of unaffected women carriers of a deleterious BRCA1/2 mutation...
- [Perception by cancer patients of biomedical research in the era of large-scale biobanking]Julien Mancini
Aix Marseille Univ, UMR 912, 13009, Marseille, France
Med Sci (Paris) 28:28-32. 2012..Patients are globally expressing a wish for more proposals to participate in research in collaboration with scientific teams...
- [The supply of breast/ovarian cancer genetic susceptibility tests in France]Christine Sevilla
INSERM U 379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, BP 156, 13273 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Med Sci (Paris) 20:788-92. 2004....
- Spontaneous disclosure of BRCA1/2 genetic test results to employers: a French prospective studyFrancois Eisinger
Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Eur J Hum Genet 20:981-3. 2012....
- [Genetic predisposition to breast and ovarian cancer: importance of test results]Claire Julian-Reynier
UMR 912, INSERM, IRD, Universite d Aix Marseille, Institut Paoli Calmettes 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite 13273 Marseille cedex 09, France
Med Sci (Paris) 27:657-61. 2011....
- Which factors predict proposal and uptake of psychological counselling after BRCA1/2 test result disclosure?Christine Maheu
INSERM, UMR912, Marseille, France Aix Marseille Université, UMR912, Marseille, France IRD, UMR912, Marseille, France McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Psychooncology 23:420-7. 2014....
- Impact of an information booklet on satisfaction and decision-making about BRCA genetic testingJulien Mancini
INSERM, UMR379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, 232 Bd Ste Marguerite, Marseille F 13000, France
Eur J Cancer 42:871-81. 2006..95%; P = 0.009). In addition to a consultation providing more tailored information, a standardized written document improved the decision-making process involved in giving informed consent to genetic testing...
- Professionals assess the acceptability of preimplantation genetic diagnosis and prenatal diagnosis for managing inherited predisposition to cancerClaire Julian-Reynier
U912, INSERM, IRD, Universite Aix Marseille, 232 Bd Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Clin Oncol 27:4475-80. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine French professionals' attitudes about the acceptability of PGD and PND for inherited predisposition to cancer...
- Development of a scale for assessing respondents' perceptions of health research questionnaires (the REP-HQ Scale)Anne Deborah Bouhnik
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, UMR912 Health Economy, Social Sciences and Medical Information Processing SESSTIM, 232, boulevard de Sainte Marguerite, 13009 Marseille, France
J Clin Epidemiol 65:1098-106. 2012..To develop a scale for assessing Respondents' Perceptions of Health Research Questionnaires (the REP-HQ Scale) and test this scale psychometrically...
- Patients' regrets after participating in a randomized controlled trials depended on their involvement in the decision makingJulien Mancini
Aix Marseille University, School of Medicine, Marseille F 13385, France
J Clin Epidemiol 65:635-42. 2012..To identify the factors associated with long-term regrets expressed a posteriori by randomized controlled trial (RCT) participants questioned about their decision to participate in an RCT...
- Disclosure of research results: a randomized study on GENEPSO-PS cohort participantsJulien Mancini
Aix Marseille Universite, UMR_S912, IRD, SESSTIM, Marseille, France
Health Expect 19:1023-35. 2016..There exist no recommendations as to how aggregate research results should best be disclosed to long-term cohort participants...
- Awareness of acute myeloid leukaemia risk induced by diagnosis of a myelodysplastic syndromeYoussoufa M Ousseine
Aix Marseille Universite, INSERM, IRD, UMR912, SESSTIM, Cancers, Biomedicine and Society group, Marseille F 13273 France
Leuk Res 46:79-84. 2016..More research is needed to study if increasing awareness can lead to more active engagement of MDS patients in their care and can increase the rate of clinical trial participation. ..
- Women's perceptions and experience of adjuvant tamoxifen therapy account for their adherence: breast cancer patients' point of viewIsabelle Pellegrini
INSERM, U912 SE4S, Marseille, France
Psychooncology 19:472-9. 2010..The aim of this study on primary breast cancer patients undergoing adjuvant tamoxifen treatment was to determine how their perceptions of the treatment and their experience of side-effects contributed to their adherence to the treatment...
- Cigarette smoking in women after BRCA1/2 genetic test disclosure: a 5-year follow-up study of the GENEPSO PS cohortClaire Julian-Reynier
1 Institut Paoli Calmettes, UMR912, Marseille, France 2 INSERM, UMR912, Economics and Social Sciences Applied to Health and Analysis of Medical Information SESSTIM, Marseille, France 3 Aix Marseille University, UMR_S912, IRD, Marseille, France
Genet Med 17:117-24. 2015..This study aimed to measure patients' smoking patterns for 5 years after BRCA1/2 test result disclosure...
- Contributing to research via biobanks: what it means to cancer patientsIsabelle Pellegrini
INSERM UMR912 SE4S, Marseille Cedex 9IRD, UMR912, Marseille cedex 9Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille Cedex 9Inserm UMR891 CRCM, Marseille Cedex 9Aix Marseille Univ, UMR912, Marseille cedex 9Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille, Timone Hospital, Public Health Department, Marseille Cedex 5, France
Health Expect 17:523-33. 2014....
- Psychometric properties of a French version of a Dutch scale for assessing breast and body image (BBIS) in healthy womenNoémie Resseguier
INSERM, U912, SESSTIM, Marseille, France
BMC Womens Health 13:24. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine the psychometric properties of a generic scale assessing breast and body image (BBIS) in healthy women tested for BRCA1/2 mutations...
- Behavioral and economic impact of a familial history of cancersFrancois Eisinger
Institute Paoli Calmettes INSERM UMR, Marseille, France
Fam Cancer 4:307-11. 2005....
- Testing for BRCA1 mutations: a cost-effectiveness analysisChristine Sevilla
INSERM U379, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseilles, France
Eur J Hum Genet 10:599-606. 2002..The monopolist approach of the firm which owns the patents on the BRCA1/2 genes, may, therefore limit the use of the most cost-effective strategies...
- Cancer survivors: familial risk perception and management advice given to their relativesFrancois Eisinger
UMR912, Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
Fam Cancer 10:147-55. 2011..If survivors were better informed, they could play a critical role by conveying relevant and sound risk reduction messages to their relatives...
- [Having a child and PND/PGD access in women with a BRCA1/2 mutation? Different approach whether ill or healthy]Isabelle Pellegrini
INSERM, UMR912, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France, Aix Marseille Universite, UMR912, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France, IRD, UMR912, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Bull Cancer 101:1001-8. 2014..The women's perceptions of the cancer severity, risk and cure were organized according to this experience...
- Effects of genetic consultation on perception of a family risk of breast/ovarian cancer and determinants of inaccurate perception after the consultationLaetitia Huiart
Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit INSERM U379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232 Bd Ste Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Clin Epidemiol 55:665-75. 2002..The question arises as to whether a more comprehensive approach should be implemented and how to go about providing efficient cancer risk information in the context of health care systems...
- Information-seeking behaviour and psycho-social interactions during the genetic testing processC Cypowyj
Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, INSERM U379, Marseille, France
Community Genet 6:224-34. 2003..The second aim was to study the role of the social network used by the patients to collect various opinions on which to base their decisions about being tested...
- [Women's preferences for early discharge after conservative breast surgery: feasibility, patient profile and satisfaction]S Arnaud
INSERM U379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille, France
Ann Chir 128:26-33. 2003....
- [Advanced rectal cancer: attitudes of French surgeons]S Arnaud
INSERM U 379, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 cedex 9, Marseille, France
Ann Chir 128:293-300; discussion 301-2. 2003..French guidelines recommended the treatment of locally advanced rectal cancers. Our aim was first to describe therapeutic decision of digestive surgeons related to clinical cases and then to measure their knowledge of french guidelines...
- Impact of BRCA1/2 mutation on young women's 5-year parenthood rates: a prospective comparative study (GENEPSO-PS cohort)Julien Mancini
Aix Marseille Universite, INSERM, IRD, UMR912 SESSTIM, 13385, Marseille, France
Fam Cancer 14:273-9. 2015..35, 2.21), p = .787]. The disclosure of a BRCA1/2 mutation might impact couples' relationships and future mothering rates, particularly among nulliparous women. Studies on larger populations are now required to confirm these findings...
- "Maybe they have found something new" participants' views on returning cohort psychosocial survey resultsEve Bureau
INSERM, UMR 912, Marseille, France
Health Expect 18:2425-36. 2015..Although greater attention is currently being paid to participants in research, no studies have dealt so far with the issue of returning aggregate psychosocial results to cohort participants...
- General Practitioners and Breast Surgeons in France, Germany, Netherlands and the UK show variable breast cancer risk communication profilesClaire Julian-Reynier
Institut Paoli Calmettes, UMR_S 912, 232 Boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13009, Marseille, France
BMC Cancer 15:243. 2015....
- [Targeted chemotherapy for breast cancer: patients perception of the use of tumor gene profiling approaches to better adapt treatments]Isabelle Pellegrini
Inserm UMR912, IRD, Marseille, France
Med Sci (Paris) 28:24-7. 2012..This will ensure that those who agree to their tumor gene analysis have realistic expectations and sound deductions of the final result disclosure process...
- Consent for biobanking: assessing the understanding and views of cancer patientsJulien Mancini
Universite d Aix Marseille, Marseille, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:154-7. 2011..We conclude that the opt-in consent procedure is positively perceived by most patients but should be improved for a better understanding and possibly an even better adherence to the consent process...
- Comparison of physicians' and cancer prone women's attitudes about breast/ovarian prophylactic surgery. Results from two national surveysF Eisinger
INSERM U379, Marseille, France
Fam Cancer 1:157-62. 2001..Our results indicate that assumed reduced mortality is not the main criterion steering acceptability. It was anticipated that prophylactic mastectomy should be rarely performed in France...
- Question prompt list responds to information needs of myelodysplastic syndromes patients and caregiversJulien Mancini
Aix Marseille Universite, INSERM, IRD, UMR912, SESSTIM, Cancers, Biomedicine and Society team, Marseille F 13273, France APHM, Timone Hospital, Public Health Department BioSTIC, Marseille F 13385, France Electronic address
Leuk Res 39:599-605. 2015..3, 95% confidence interval [1.2-4.2], p=0.008). Our proposal of intervention through a QPL was generally welcomed and could particularly address specific MDS patient needs regarding prognosis information. ..
- Decision-making and breast cancer clinical trials: how experience challenges attitudesJulien Mancini
INSERM, UMR379, Epidemiology and Social Sciences Unit, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseille, F 13273, France
Contemp Clin Trials 28:684-94. 2007..The aim of this study was to measure women's preferences about decision-making and their impact to participate or not to a hypothetical randomised controlled trial (RCT)...
- Patients' and surgeons' perspectives on axillary surgery for breast cancerS Arnaud
INSERM U379, 13273 Marseille 9, France
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:735-43. 2004..The objectives of this study were to compare the postoperative morbidity of Sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) and axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) and to compare the views of surgeons and patients regarding postoperative morbidity...
- Determinants of patients' choice of reconstruction with mastectomy for primary breast cancerP Ananian
INSERM U379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232 Boulevard Sainte Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Ann Surg Oncol 11:762-71. 2004..The aim of the study was to measure women's decisions about breast reconstruction (BR) after mastectomy and to assess the factors contributing to their decisions, in a context involving shared decision-making and maximum patient autonomy...
- [Breast reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer: which reconstructive surgical procedure should be retained?]P Ananian
INSERM U379, Institut Paoli Calmettes, GRECAM, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, BP 156, Marseille 09, France
Ann Chir 129:192-202. 2004..Clinical surveys assessing relation between radiotherapy and clinical and psychosocial outcome of breast reconstruction are urgently expected...
- Congress report of the seventh international meeting on psychosocial aspects of genetic testing for hereditary breast and/or ovarian cancer (HBOC) and hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC)Jochen Jordan
Clinic of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Psychooncology 11:536-9. 2002
- Testing participation in BRCA1/2-positive families: initiator role of index casesCécile Blandy
Service de Genetique, Institut Curie, 26 Rue d Ulm, F75248 Paris Cedex 5, France
Genet Test 7:225-33. 2003..A major challenge for genetic counseling is to ensure that consulting patients not only receive complete understanding but also understand this information and anticipate the impact of the test result before deciding to take the test...
- Communicating familial risks: individual and community issues involved in cancer geneticsClaire Julian-Reynier
Community Genet 6:189-91. 2003
- Genetic education and nongenetic health professionals: educational providers and curricula in EuropeKirsty Challen
GenEd Coordinating Centre, University of Manchester, UK
Genet Med 7:302-10. 2005....
- International perspectives on genetic counseling and testing for breast cancer riskBettina Meiser
Psychosocial Research Group, Department of Medical Oncology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Dickinson 3, Randwick, NSW, Australia
Breast Dis 27:109-25. 2006....