J F Hocquette
Affiliation: Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
- Where are we in genomics?J F Hocquette
INRA, Herbivore Research Unit, Muscle Growth and Metabolism Group, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Physiol Pharmacol 56:37-70. 2005..In addition, there is a great need for more information and better understanding of genomics before complete public acceptance...
- A cDNA macroarray resource for gene expression profiling in ruminant tissues involved in reproduction and production (milk and beef) traitsC Bernard
INRA, Unité de Recherche sur les Herbivores, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Physiol Pharmacol 56:215-24. 2005..It will be subsequently included into a forthcoming larger collection...
- Fat partitioning and biochemical characteristics of fatty tissues in relation to plasma metabolites and hormones in normal and double-muscled young growing bullsJ F Hocquette
INRA, Laboratoire Croissance et Métabolismes des Herbivores, Centre de Recherches de Clermont Ferrand Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 122:127-38. 1999..In contrast, either hypotrophy or hypoplasia was the main cause of omental or intermuscular FT weight reduction in DM animals...
- Insulin-sensitive glucose transporter transcript levels in calf muscles assessed with a bovine GLUT4 cDNA fragmentJ F Hocquette
INRA, Laboratoire Croissance et Métabolismes des Herbivores, Theix, France
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 28:795-806. 1996..00 +/- 0.09 units/g wet tissue weight; SEM, n = 7). These data and our previous results provide evidence for translational and/or post-translational control mechanisms of bovine GLUT4 protein expression in a muscle type-specific manner...
- Fine mapping of quantitative trait loci underlying sensory meat quality traits in three French beef cattle breedsS Allais
INRA, AgroParisTech, UMR1313 Unité de Génétique Animale et Biologie Intégrative, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France Union Nationale des Coopératives agricoles d Elevage et d Insémination Animale, F 75595 Paris cedex 12, France
J Anim Sci 92:4329-41. 2014..Overall, these results greatly contribute to the goal of building a panel of markers that can be used to select animals of high meat quality. ..
- Expression of DNAJA1 in bovine muscles according to developmental age and management factorsI Cassar-Malek
INRA, UR1213, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Equipe Croissance et Métabolisme du Muscle, Centre Clermont Ferrand Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Animal 5:867-74. 2011..Integration of the knowledge gained from this study should help to predict muscle metabolic properties and the ability of the live animals to give high sensory quality meat...
- Validation of a Dot-Blot quantitative technique for large scale analysis of beef tenderness biomarkersN Guillemin
Institute for Agricultural Research INRA, UR1213, Herbivore Research Unit, Muscle Growth and Metabolism Group, Clermont Ferrand Theix Research Center, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:91-7. 2009..5) in biomarker expression between tender and tough beef, whereas much larger numbers of animals (10 to 30) are required to detect smaller differences (about 1.2 to 1.3) taking into account the biological variability of these markers...
- Lipoprotein lipase activity and mRNA levels in bovine tissuesJ F Hocquette
INRA, Laboratoire Croissance et Métabolismes des Herbivores, Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 121:201-12. 1998..05). The levels of LPL transcripts are positively related to LPL activity in bovine tissues, including muscles and adipose tissues...
- A collection of bovine cDNA probes for gene expression profiling in muscleK Sudre
INRA, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Centre de Recherches de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
Mol Cell Probes 19:61-70. 2005..It is also anticipated that this type of collection might be useful for the study of chronic myologic diseases in other mammalian species, including humans...
- Variations in the abundance of 24 protein biomarkers of beef tenderness according to muscle and animal typeN Guillemin
UR1213, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, INRA, PHASE Department, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Animal 5:885-94. 2011..Results showed that expressions of 20 proteins were influenced by animal and/or muscle type. These results could lead to modifications and adaptations of prediction tests according to rearing practice, bovine breed and beef cut...
- Effects of polymorphisms in the calpastatin and μ-calpain genes on meat tenderness in 3 French beef breedsS Allais
INRA, UMR 1313 Unité de Génétique Animale et Biologie Intégrative, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
J Anim Sci 89:1-11. 2011..Further studies are also required to identify other more appropriate markers for French beef breeds...
- The two mutations, Q204X and nt821, of the myostatin gene affect carcass and meat quality in young heterozygous bulls of French beef breedsS Allais
INRA, UMR 1313 Unité de Génétique Animale et Biologie Intégrative, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
J Anim Sci 88:446-54. 2010..These results illustrate the challenge of using genetic tests to detect animals with the genetic potential for greater grades of carcasses and meat quality...
- Adipocyte fatty acid-binding protein and mitochondrial enzyme activities in muscles as relevant indicators of marbling in cattleC Jurie
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Anim Sci 85:2660-9. 2007..In conclusion, A-FABP protein content, as well as oxidative enzyme activities, may be used as indicators of the ability of steers from extreme genotypes to deposit intramuscular fat...
- Assessing the quality of products from cloned cattle: an integrative approachY Heyman
INRA, UMR 1198, ENVA, CNRS, FRE 2857, Biologie du Developpement et Reproduction, Jouy en Josas F 78352, France
Theriogenology 67:134-41. 2007..Nutritional evaluation of milk and meat using the rat model did not reveal any difference between products derived from clones versus controls...
- Relationships between thyroid status, tissue oxidative metabolism, and muscle differentiation in bovine fetusesI Cassar-Malek
Equipe Croissance et Métabolismes du Muscle, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, INRA, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
Domest Anim Endocrinol 33:91-106. 2007..Results indicate that elevation of plasma T(3) concentrations in the last gestational trimester could be involved in the differentiation of oxidative skeletal muscles...
- Acute hyperinsulinemia fails to change GLUT-4 content in crude membranes from goat skeletal muscles and adipose tissueM Balage
Unité d Etude du Métabolisme Azoté, INRA Centre de Clermont Ferrand, Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 120:425-30. 1998..These results suggest that insulin is not the prime factor involved in the short-term regulation of GLUT-4 protein transporter content in insulin-sensitive tissues from goats...
- Weaning affects lipoprotein lipase activity and gene expression in adipose tissues and in masseter but not in other muscles of the calfJ F Hocquette
Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Recherches de Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Br J Nutr 86:433-41. 2001..In conclusion, weaning in the calf affects LPL activity and expression in adipose tissues, but not in skeletal muscles except the masseter...
- Facilitative glucose transporters in livestock speciesJ F Hocquette
Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, INRA, Centre de Recherches de Clermont Ferrand Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Reprod Nutr Dev 40:517-33. 2000..All these results suggest that any changes in GLUT expression and activity (such as GLUT4 in muscles) could modify nutrient partitioning and tissue metabolism, and hence, the qualities of animal products (milk, meat)...
- Recent advances in omic technologies for meat quality managementB Picard
INRA, UMR1213, Recherches sur les Herbivores, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France VetAgro Sup, UMR 1213, Recherches sur les Herbivores, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France Electronic address
Meat Sci 109:18-26. 2015..The ultimate goal is to propose effective molecular tools for the management of product quality in meat production chains. ..
- Fattening performance, metabolic indicators, and muscle composition of bulls fed fiber-rich versus starch-plus-lipid-rich concentrate dietsM M Mialon
INRA, UMR1213 Herbivores, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France Clermont Université, VetAgro Sup, UMR1213 Herbivores, BP 10448, F 63000, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Anim Sci 93:319-33. 2015..Compared to the FR diet, the SL diet led to a greater omega-3 fatty acid content because of a greater supply of dietary linoleic acid, especially in lean muscle. ..
- Pasture-feeding of Charolais steers influences skeletal muscle metabolism and gene expressionI Cassar-Malek
INRA, UR1213, Herbivore Research Unit, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:83-90. 2009..In conclusion, enzyme-specific adaptations and gene expression modifications were observed in response to the production system and some of them could be candidates for grazing or grass-feeding traceability...
- Muscle and meat quality characteristics of Holstein and Salers cull cowsC Jurie
INRA, UR1213, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Meat Sci 77:459-66. 2007..Muscle type, and not breed explained most of the variability of meat quality from dairy and beef cull cows slaughtered at the same age and fat score...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and leptin are related to marbling differences among Limousin and Angus or Japanese Black x Angus steersM Bonnet
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Site de Theix, F 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
J Anim Sci 85:2882-94. 2007..Leptin and G6PDH are related to the expression of marbling whatever the body condition and thus could be relevant indicators of marbling in beef cattle...
- Myostatin inactivation induces a similar muscle molecular signature in double-muscled cattle as in miceI Chelh
INRA, UR1213, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Equipe Croissance et Métabolisme du Muscle, Centre Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Animal 5:278-86. 2011..Alteration of both pathways may increase myonuclear or satellite cell survival, which is crucial for protein synthesis. This could contribute to muscle hypertrophy in DM foetuses and DM cows...
- Effect of nutritional factors on biochemical, structural and metabolic characteristics of muscles in ruminants, consequences on dietetic value and sensorial qualities of meatY Geay
Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, INRA, Clermont Ferrand Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Reprod Nutr Dev 41:1-26. 2001..This paper shows how nutrition can influence, in ruminants, metabolic activity as well as muscle structure and composition, and thereby affect meat quality...
- Intramuscular fat content in meat-producing animals: development, genetic and nutritional control, and identification of putative markersJ F Hocquette
1INRA, UR 1213, Unité de Recherches sur les Herbivores URH, Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Animal 4:303-19. 2010..The nutritional regulation of IMF also differs between ruminants, monogastrics and fish due to their digestive and nutritional particularities...
- Contribution of genomics to the understanding of physiological functionsJ F Hocquette
INRA, UR1213, Recherche sur les Herbivores, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:5-16. 2009..Physiological models with invalidated or over-expressed genes will be precious tools to check these new biological discoveries...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of bFGF, TGF-beta1 and catalase in rectus abdominis muscle from cattle foetuses at 180 and 260 days post-conceptionA Orzechowski
Department of Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw Agricultural University, Warsaw, Poland
Tissue Cell 34:416-26. 2002..Thus, increased ratio of CAT to bFGF might be a good index indicating initiation of muscle maturation in cattle foetus prior to birth...