Affiliation: Institut Pasteur
- The Global Pertussis Initiative: meeting report from the fourth regional roundtable meeting, France, April 14-15, 2010Nicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur, Prevention and Molecular, Paris, France
Hum Vaccin 7:481-8. 2011..Adequate diagnostic facilities are lacking in several countries. Improved surveillance and detection will permit a more accurate assessment of the epidemiology of pertussis and the need for vaccination after childhood...
- Bordetella petrii infection with long-lasting persistence in humanAlain Le Coustumier
Centre Hospitalier, Cahors, France
Emerg Infect Dis 17:612-8. 2011..holmesii, obtained from human respiratory tract infections. Our observations indicate that B. petrii can persist in persons with chronic pulmonary obstructive disease as has been previously demonstrated for B. bronchiseptica...
- Bordetella pertussis: why is it still circulating?Nicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases Unit, Paris, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, URA3012, France Electronic address
J Infect 68:S119-24. 2014....
- Evolution of French Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis isolates: increase of Bordetellae not expressing pertactinN Hegerle
Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases, Institut Pasteur, National Centre of Reference of whooping cough and other bordetelloses, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:E340-6. 2012..pertussis, aP vaccine-induced immunity enabled the number of circulating B. pertussis and B. parapertussis isolates not expressing virulence factors to increase, sustaining our previous hypothesis...
- The complete genome sequence of Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis FRC41 isolated from a 12-year-old girl with necrotizing lymphadenitis reveals insights into gene-regulatory networks contributing to virulenceEva Trost
Institut für Genomforschung und Systembiologie, Centrum für Biotechnologie, Universitat Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
BMC Genomics 11:728. 2010..To detect potential virulence factors and corresponding gene-regulatory networks in this human isolate, the genome sequence of C. pseudotuberculosis FCR41 was determined by pyrosequencing and functionally annotated...
- Characterization and comparison of invasive Corynebacterium diphtheriae isolates from France and PolandÉ Farfour
Institut Pasteur, Unité Prévention et Thérapies Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, National Reference Centre of Toxigenic Corynebacteria, a CNRS URA 3012, b Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 50:173-5. 2012..Here, we used molecular and phenotypic tools to characterize and compare 42 invasive isolates collected in France (including New Caledonia) and Poland over a 23-year period...
- [Whooping cough from infants to adults]Nicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur Unité Prevention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines 25, rue du Dr Roux 75724 Paris Cedex 15 URA CNRS 3012
Bull Acad Natl Med 192:1437-49; discussion 1449-52. 2008..Surveillance must include the use of standardized diagnostic tests and reagents. Bacterial isolates should be thoroughly characterized at the genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic levels...
- Bordetella pertussis and pertussis vaccinesNicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 49:1565-9. 2009..Universal adult booster immunization is now possible using pertussis acellular vaccines, which target-and are thus likely to control-the virulence of this bacterium...
- Genomic analysis and comparison of Bordetella pertussis isolates circulating in low and high vaccine coverage areasElisabeth Njamkepo
Institut Pasteur, Unite de recherche Prevention et Therapie Moleculaires des Maladies Humaines, URA CNRS 3012, 25 rue du Dr Roux 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Microbes Infect 10:1582-6. 2008..We confirmed the influence of pertussis vaccination on circulating isolates and that isolates vary with the pertussis cycle...
- Bordetella pertussis, Finland and FranceValerie Caro
Institut Pasteur, Unité PTMMH, FRE CNRS 2849, National Center of Reference of Whooping Cough and Other Bordetelloses, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 12:987-9. 2006..Isolates from both countries were similar genetically but varied temporally...
- Genomic content of Bordetella pertussis clinical isolates circulating in areas of intensive children vaccinationValérie Bouchez
Institut Pasteur, Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, URA CNRS 3012, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 3:e2437. 2008..The objective of the study was to analyse the evolution of Bordetella pertussis population and the influence of herd immunity in different areas of the world where newborns and infants are highly vaccinated...
- Ultrastructural analysis of the interactions between Bordetella pertussis, Bordetella parapertussis and Bordetella bronchiseptica and human tracheal epithelial cellsPascale Gueirard
Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, Institut Pasteur, 25, rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Microb Pathog 38:41-6. 2005..Even cytotoxic Bordetella species is ultimately killed by human epithelial cells...
- Proficiency program for real-time PCR diagnosis of Bordetella pertussis infections in French hospital laboratories and at the French National Reference Center for Whooping Cough and other BordetellosesValerie Caro
Institut Pasteur, Centre National de Référence CNR de la Coqueluche et autres Bordetelloses, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 47:3197-203. 2009..However, the risk of false-positive results remains quite high, and we strongly recommend establishment of uniform quality control procedures performed regularly...
- Significant finding of Bordetella holmesii DNA in nasopharyngeal samples from French patients with suspected pertussisElisabeth Njamkepo
Institut Pasteur, Unité de Prévention et Thérapies Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, CNRS URA 3012, 25 rue du Dr Roux 75724 Paris, Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 49:4347-8. 2011..Bordetella holmesii DNA was detected in 20.3% samples collected from adolescents and adults...
- In-vitro and in-vivo analysis of the production of the Bordetella type three secretion system effector A in Bordetella pertussis, Bordetella parapertussis and Bordetella bronchisepticaNicolas Hegerle
Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris, France CNRS URA3012, France
Microbes Infect 15:399-408. 2013..5% (79/81) of B. bronchiseptica isolates produced BteA in-vitro but only the latter was capable of inducing an in-vivo immune response. No in-vitro or in-vivo production of BteA was detected by any of the B. parapertussis isolates tested...
- Temporal analysis of French Bordetella pertussis isolates by comparative whole-genome hybridizationValerie Caro
Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases Unit, Institut Pasteur, FRE CNRS 2849, National Center of Reference of Whooping Cough and Other Bordetelloses, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Microbes Infect 8:2228-35. 2006..This decrease in diversity is essentially due to loss of genes and pseudogenes. The genes deleted are most of the time flanked by insertion sequences...
- Antibodies to tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis among healthy adults vaccinated according to the French vaccination recommendationsOdile Launay
Faculte de Medecine, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Hum Vaccin 5:341-6. 2009..They also indicate the need for better implementation of the current recommendations for pertussis-vaccine boosters in adults...
- Evidence of Bordetella pertussis infection in adults presenting with persistent cough in a french area with very high whole-cell vaccine coverageSerge Gilberg
Département de médecine générale, Faculte de Medecine Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 186:415-8. 2002..Pertussis should be considered for diagnosis of acute and chronic cough in adults. Future studies should evaluate the public health interest of booster doses of pertussis vaccine in adults...
- Macrolide-resistant Bordetella pertussis infection in newborn girl, FranceSophie Guillot
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 18:966-8. 2012..DNA sequencing and PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism showed a 2047 A-to-G mutation in the 3 copies of the 23S rRNA gene. Monitoring for macrolide resistance is essential in infants <6 months of age...
- Virulence of pertactin-negative Bordetella pertussis isolates from infants, FranceHélène Bodilis
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 19:471-4. 2013..We analyzed data from France and compared clinical symptoms among infants <6 months old infected by PRN-positive or PRN-negative isolates. No major clinical differences were found between the 2 groups...
- Genomic analysis of the adenylate cyclase-hemolysin C-terminal region of Bordetella pertussis, Bordetella parapertussis and Bordetella bronchisepticaViviane Chenal-Francisque
Institut Pasteur, CNRS URA, Paris, France
Res Microbiol 160:330-6. 2009..Genomic analyses of this region indicate no polymorphism in B. pertussis and B. parapertussis regions, but substantial variability in B. bronchiseptica that might be linked to the various niches of this species...
- Epidemiology of whooping cough & typing of Bordetella pertussisNicolas Hegerle
Institut Pasteur Prevention and Molecular Therapy of Human Diseases, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, F 75015, Paris, France
Future Microbiol 8:1391-403. 2013....
- Septic arthritis caused by Bordetella holmesii in an adolescent with chronic haemolytic anaemiaDidier Moissenet
Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Armand Trousseau, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
J Med Microbiol 60:1705-7. 2011..B. holmesii was identified by 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis. The patient outcome was favourable. To our knowledge, this is the first case of B. holmesii septic arthritis in an asplenic patient...
- Characterization of adenylate cyclase-hemolysin gene duplication in a Bordetella pertussis isolateKarine Dalet
Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 72:4874-7. 2004..No difference was observed between the two clones in murine and cellular models, probably due to the high instability of the cya locus duplication...
- Type-IIA secreted phospholipase A2 is an endogenous antibiotic-like protein of the hostYongzheng Wu
Unité de Défense Innée et Inflammation, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Biochimie 92:583-7. 2010..It can be used as a therapeutic agent in adjunct with current therapy to treat bacteria resistant to multiple antibiotics...
- Humoral immunity of dTap-IPV vaccine (REPEVAX®) administered one month after dT-IPV vaccine (REVAXIS®) in adults with unknown vaccination historySylvie Larnaudie
DASES, Service des vaccinations, Paris, France
Hum Vaccin 6:829-34. 2010..These results validate a vaccination schedule routinely used for years that rapidly elicits effective immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis and pertussis...
- [Impact of vaccination on the infectious diseases epidemiology: example of pertussis]Nicole Guiso
Unité de Prévention et Thérapies des Maladies Humaines, FRE CNRS 2849, Centre National de Reference de la Coqueluche et Autres Bordetelloses, Institut Pasteur, 25, rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Med Sci (Paris) 23:399-403. 2007..The new goal now is to give information to medical students and health care workers in general in order to increase adolescent and adult's vaccination coverage...
- Is the Sequenced Bordetella pertussis strain Tohama I representative of the species?Valerie Caro
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases Unit, URA CNRS 3012, National Center of Reference of Whooping Cough and Bordetelloses, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 46:2125-8. 2008..We identified genetic regions specific to recent isolates, old isolates, and isolates of B. parapertussis and B. bronchiseptica species. We conclude that Tohama I strain is not representative of the B. pertussis species...
- [Why still whooping cough?]Nicole Guiso
Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, Centre National de Reference de la Coqueluche et Autres Bordetelloses, FRE CNRS 2849, Institut Pasteur, 25, rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris
Rev Prat 55:1287-92. 2005..The disease affects now adolescents and adults who contaminate new-borns too young to be vaccinated. For this reason, many countries including France, decided to add vaccine boosters for adolescents and young adults...
- New Data on Vaccine Antigen Deficient Bordetella pertussis IsolatesValérie Bouchez
Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, Paris 75015, France
Vaccines (Basel) 3:751-70. 2015..Finally, we observed that recent isolates are more invasive in HTE cells when compared to the reference strain, but no multiplication occurs within cells. ..
- Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis analysis of Bordetella pertussis populations in various European countries with different vaccine policiesValerie Caro
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy for Human Diseases Unit, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Microbes Infect 7:976-82. 2005..There was no evidence of geographic clustering, except that one new profile subgroup was predominantly found in one country. This study provides a baseline for continued surveillance of the B. pertussis population in Europe...
- Bordetella pertussis adenylate cyclase-hemolysin induces interleukin-6 secretion by human tracheal epithelial cellsLaurence Bassinet
Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, Institut Pasteur, 25, rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 72:5530-3. 2004..This finding confirms the important role of adenylate cyclase-hemolysin in the pathogenicity of the bacterium...
- Treatment failure of nosocomial pertussis infection in a very-low-birth-weight neonateStephane Bonacorsi
Laboratoire d études de génétique bactérienne dans les infections de l enfant EA 3105, Universite Denis Diderot Paris 7, Service de Microbiologie, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 44:3830-2. 2006..This case underscores the need for rapid and sensitive PCR diagnosis in VLBW neonates and in parents with clinical signs of pertussis and suggests that standard treatment may not be appropriate for VLBW neonates...
- Development of real-time PCR assay for differential detection of Bordetella bronchiseptica and Bordetella parapertussisAnette Tizolova
Institute of Chemical Technology, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Technicka 5, 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic Institut Pasteur, Unité Prévention et Thérapie Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS URA 3012, Paris, France
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 78:347-51. 2014..bronchiseptica and B. parapertussis tested. The second PCR assay detected only the DNA of B. parapertussis clinical isolates, thereby allowing discrimination between B. parapertussis and B. bronchiseptica. ..
- Thirty-five years' experience with the whole-cell pertussis vaccine in France: vaccine strains analysis and immunogenicityE Njamkepo
Unité des Bordetella, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Cedex 15, Paris, France
Vaccine 20:1290-4. 2002....
- The Global Pertussis Initiative: report from a round table meeting to discuss the epidemiology and detection of pertussis, Paris, France, 11-12 January 2010Nicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy Unit, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Vaccine 29:1115-21. 2011..This article provides a current guide on the appropriate use of laboratory diagnostics and optimal surveillance methodologies to assist countries in the control of pertussis disease...
- Pertussis is back and now what?Nicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur Unité des Bordetella, Paris, France
Adv Exp Med Biol 549:105-8. 2004
- Follow-Up of External Quality Controls for PCR-Based Diagnosis of Whooping Cough in a Hospital Laboratory Network (Renacoq) and in Other Hospital and Private Laboratories in FranceSophie Guillot
Institut Pasteur, Centre National de Reference de la Coqueluche et Autres Bordetelloses, Paris, FranceVirginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
J Clin Microbiol 54:2169-71. 2016..The main objective of the study was to assess the impact of this QC in the participating laboratories through a repeat analysis in 2012. ..
- Bordetella pertussis, B. parapertussis, vaccines and cycles of whooping coughValérie Bouchez
Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Infections Unit, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France CNRS URA 3012, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Pathog Dis 73:. 2015..However, differences in surveillance of the disease as well as adaptation of the agents of the disease to their human hosts and to vaccine pressure might also play an important role. These parameters are discussed in this review. ..
- Surveillance of pertussis: methods and implementationNicole Guiso
a Institut Pasteur, Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Infectious Diseases Unit, Paris, France
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 14:657-67. 2016..However, even in countries with a high vaccine coverage, the disease is still not well controlled. Surveillance is urgently needed...
- Persistent Bordetella bronchiseptica infection in a child with cystic fibrosis: Relationship to bacterial phenotypeNevine El Khatib
centre de ressources et de compétences de la mucoviscidose, Service de Pneumologie et d allergologie de l Enfant, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Cyst Fibros 14:E13-5. 2015..We recommend implementing adequate treatment aiming eradication from the first isolation of this bacterium. We advise for practices that minimize opportunities for zoonotic transmission of B. bronchiseptica from family pets. ..
- Monitoring the Impact of Vaccination on Pertussis in Infants Using an Active Hospital-based Pediatric Surveillance Network: Results from 17 Years' Experience, 1996-2012, FranceSarah Tubiana
From the Infectious Diseases Department, Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France and Institut Pasteur, Centre National de Reference de la Coqueluche et Autres Bordetelloses, Paris, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 34:814-20. 2015..This article describes the epidemiologic trends and characteristics of cases among infants 0-5 months of age during 17 years of pertussis surveillance through Renacoq...
- Bordetella pertussis and pertactin-deficient clinical isolates: lessons for pertussis vaccinesNicolas Hegerle
Institut Pasteur, Unité de Prévention et Thérapies Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, 25 28 rue du Dr Roux F 75015 Paris, France
Expert Rev Vaccines 13:1135-46. 2014..The real impact of this evolution on acellular pertussis vaccines efficacy and effectiveness should be assessed through standardized surveillance and isolation of B. pertussis and B. parapertussis worldwide. ..
- Other Bordetellas, lessons for and from pertussis vaccinesNicole Guiso
Institut Pasteur, Unité de Prévention et Thérapies Moléculaires des Maladies Humaines, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, F 75015 Paris, France
Expert Rev Vaccines 13:1125-33. 2014..holmesii in human respiratory samples while B. petrii and the four other species have little implications for public health. ..
- Bordetella bronchiseptica persists in the nasal cavities of mice and triggers early delivery of dendritic cells in the lymph nodes draining the lower and upper respiratory tractPascale Gueirard
Unité des Bordetella, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Infect Immun 71:4137-43. 2003..Later during the infectious process, the bacteria persist mainly in the nasal cavity...
- Deciphering the ancient and complex evolutionary history of human arylamine N-acetyltransferase genesEtienne Patin
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, CNRS, FRE 2849, Unit of Molecular Prevention and Therapy of Human Diseases, Paris, France
Am J Hum Genet 78:423-36. 2006..On the whole, the patterns observed for NAT2 well illustrate how geographically and temporally fluctuating xenobiotic environments may have influenced not only our genome variability but also our present-day susceptibility to disease...