Affiliation: Institut Curie
- ATP-dependent mechanics of red blood cellsTimo Betz
Centre de Recherche, Institut Curie, Unités Mixte de Recherche 168, F 75248 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15320-5. 2009..4 +/- 0.1 k(B)T, that corresponds to an actively increased effective temperature...
- Growth cones as soft and weak force generatorsTimo Betz
Division of Soft Matter Physics, Department of Physics, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13420-5. 2011..Traction force measurements confirmed these values. Hence, our results indicate that growth cones are particularly soft and weak structures that may be very sensitive to the mechanical properties of their environment...
- Stochastic actin polymerization and steady retrograde flow determine growth cone advancementTimo Betz
Division of Soft Matter Physics, Department of Physics, Universitat Leipzig, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Biophys J 96:5130-8. 2009..This hints at a possible role of noise intensity in determining signal detection sensitivity...
- Optical neuronal guidanceAllen Ehrlicher
Lehrstuhl für die Physik weicher Materie, Fakultat fur Physik und Geowissenschaften, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestr 5, Leipzig D 04103, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 83:495-520. 2007..Automated tracking and laser micromanipulation of cells. Rev. Sci. Instr. 76, 035105]. Optical guidance may eventually be used alone or with other methods for controlling neurite extension in both research and clinical applications...
- Neurite branch retraction is caused by a threshold-dependent mechanical impactKristian Franze
Department of Physics, Soft Matter Physics Group, Paul Flechsig Institute of Brain Research, Universitat Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Biophys J 97:1883-90. 2009....
- Mechanical detection of a long-range actin network emanating from a biomimetic cortexMatthias Bussonnier
Institut Curie, Centre de Recherche, Paris, France Université Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France Sorbonne Universités, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, université Paris 06, UMR 168, Paris, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR168, Paris, France
Biophys J 107:854-62. 2014..Recent evidence shows that such networks even prevent granule condensation in large cells...
- Actin polymerization or myosin contraction: two ways to build up cortical tension for symmetry breakingKevin Carvalho
Centre de Recherche, Institut Curie, Paris 75248, France
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 368:20130005. 2013..Our study provides the groundwork to understanding the physical mechanisms at work during polarization prior to cell shape modifications. ..
- External forces control mitotic spindle positioningJenny Fink
Institut Curie, CNRS UMR 144, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Cell Biol 13:771-8. 2011..We propose that cells divide according to cues provided by their mechanical micro-environment, aligning daughter cells with the external force field...
- Simultaneous manipulation and detection of living cell membrane dynamicsMichael Gögler
Department of Physics, University of Leipzig, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Opt Lett 32:1893-5. 2007..We investigated the membrane motion at the leading edge of red blood cells in detail and showed that this technique can achieve simultaneous manipulation and detection of cellular edge dynamics with unprecedented precision...
- Tensile Forces Originating from Cancer Spheroids Facilitate Tumor InvasionKatarzyna S Kopanska
Institut Curie, PSL Research University, CNRS, UMR 168, F 75005, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 11:e0156442. 2016..We propose a tension-based model to explain the collagen organization and the onset of invasion by forces originating from the tumor. ..
- ESCRT-III assembly and cytokinetic abscission are induced by tension release in the intercellular bridgeJulie Lafaurie-Janvore
Institut Curie, CNRS UMR 144, Paris, France
Science 339:1625-9. 2013..This mechanism may allow daughter cells to remain connected until they have settled in their final locations, a process potentially important for tissue organization and morphogenesis...
- Quantification of collagen contraction in three-dimensional cell cultureKatarzyna S Kopanska
Centre de Recherche, Institut Curie, Paris Cedex 05, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris Cedex 05, France UPMC University Paris VI, Paris, France
Methods Cell Biol 125:353-72. 2015..doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.10116. This tool provides an automatized technique to measure collagen contraction that can be utilized in different 3D cellular systems. ..
- Neuronal growth: a bistable stochastic processTimo Betz
Institute of Soft Matter Physics, Linnestrasse 5, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 96:098103. 2006..An analysis of growth cone motility confirms the model, and predicts that linear changes of the bistable potential, as known from stochastic filtering, result in directed growth cone translocation...