Jean Michel Alonso
Affiliation: Institut Pasteur
- [Epidemiology and epizootiology of plague: the major role of the surveillance of reservoir populations of wild rodents in the control of permanent foci]J M Alonso
Département de Bactériologie et de Mycologie, l Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Med Trop (Mars) 58:21-4. 1998..Those wild rodents settlements in arid biotopes, preserved from human activities, represent the main reservoir of plague. Their determination is mandatory for the surveillance of epizootics and the prevention of epidemics...
- [Immunity and pathophysiology of respiratory tract infections]J M Alonso
Unité Neisseria, Institut Pasteur, 28, rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris, France
Med Mal Infect 38:433-7. 2008....
- [From genomics to surveillance, prevention and control: new challenges for the African meningitis belt]J M Alonso
Centre national de référence des méningocoques, Unité des Neisseiria, Département de Médecine Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris 15, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 99:404-8. 2006..meningiditis A continues to be the principal strain isolated during the epidemic seasons and elimination of outbreaks of N. meningiditis serogroup A can still be considered as the primary objective of a preventive vaccination strategy...
- A model of meningococcal bacteremia after respiratory superinfection in influenza A virus-infected miceJean Michel Alonso
unité des Neisseria, French National Reference Center for the Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 222:99-106. 2003..Therefore, this model of meningococcal disease in adult mice reproduces the pathogenesis of human meningococcemia with fatal sepsis, and is useful for analyzing known or new genes identified in genomic studies...
- [Meningococcal vaccines: present status and perspectives]Jean Michel Alonso
unité des Neisseria, Centre national de référence des méningocoques, Département de Médecine Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Therapie 60:283-6. 2005..Therefore, meningococcal polysaccharide vaccines, either plain or conjugated, are indicated against the clonal expansion of strains whose serogroup has been properly identified and corresponds to the vaccine valence...
- [Respiratory virosis and invasive bacterial superinfections. The case for influenza and meningococcal diseases]J M Alonso
unité des Neisseria, Département de Médecine Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur, Centre national de référence des méningocoques, 25 28, rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 cedex 15 Paris, France
Arch Pediatr 10:1013-5. 2003..At the community level, influenza vaccine, beside its specific effects, might also prevent many cases of invasive superinfections, including meningococcal diseases...
- Conserved virulence of C to B capsule switched Neisseria meningitidis clinical isolates belonging to ET-37/ST-11 clonal complexMarcelo Lancellotti
Neisseria Unit, National Reference Center for the Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, 25 28, rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Microbes Infect 8:191-6. 2006..This justifies an enhanced system of surveillance by molecular typing of such isolates, particularly after serogroup-specific vaccination...
- Emergence of new virulent Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C sequence type 11 isolates in FranceAla Eddine Deghmane
Invasive Bacterial Infections Unit, Neisseria Unit, and National Reference Center for Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 202:247-50. 2010..These isolates may be responsible for a peak in the incidence of serogroup C meningococcal infection in France, for which there is no routine vaccination to date...
- Differential role of lipooligosaccharide of Neisseria meningitidis in virulence and inflammatory response during respiratory infection in miceMaria Leticia Zarantonelli
unité des Neisseria, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 74:5506-12. 2006....
- Neisseria meningitidis strains isolated from invasive infections in France (1999-2002): phenotypes and antibiotic susceptibility patternsAude Antignac
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 37:912-20. 2003..Such strains were heterogeneous and accounted for approximately 30% of isolates during this period, warranting continued surveillance of this phenomenon...
- Down-regulation of pili and capsule of Neisseria meningitidis upon contact with epithelial cells is mediated by CrgA regulatory proteinAla Eddine Deghmane
unité des Neisseria, 28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724, Paris, Cedex 15, France
Mol Microbiol 43:1555-64. 2002..CrgA may play a central regulatory role in meningococcal adhesion, particularly in switching from initial to intimate adhesion by downregulating the bacterial surface structures that hinder this adhesion...
- Immunogenicity of meningococcal PBP2 during natural infection and protective activity of anti-PBP2 antibodies against meningococcal bacteraemia in miceMaria Leticia Zarantonelli
Neisseria Unit, National Reference Center for Meningococci, Department of Molecular Medicine, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:924-30. 2006..To evaluate the immunogenicity of the meningococcal penicillin-binding protein 2 (PBP2) and its potential as a vaccine candidate...
- The establishment of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135 of the clonal complex ET-37/ST-11 as an epidemic clone and the persistence of serogroup A isolates in Burkina FasoBerthe Marie Njanpop-Lafourcade
Association pour l Aide a la Medecine Preventive, Paris, France
Microbes Infect 7:645-9. 2005..meningitidis strains of the ET-37/ST-11 clonal complex, as well as the emergence of a new clone within the subgroup III/ST-5 clonal complex...
- The role of particular strains of Neisseria meningitidis in meningococcal arthritis, pericarditis, and pneumoniaPascale Vienne
Neisseria Unit, French National Reference Center for the Meningococci, Department of Molecular Medicine, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 37:1639-42. 2003..5% of the strains belonged to serogroup W135, although these strains had heterogeneous phenotypes. Bacteremia is a key step in the pathophysiology of meningococcal disease and precedes any form of invasive infection...
- From genomics to surveillance, prevention and control: new challenges for the African meningitis beltJean Michel Alonso
Institut Pasteur, National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Neisseiria Unit, Department of Molecular Medicine, Paris, France
Vaccine 24:4279-84. 2006
- The duality of virulence and transmissibility in Neisseria meningitidisMuhamed Kheir Taha
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoque, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Trends Microbiol 10:376-82. 2002..These events probably occur frequently, thus explaining not only the heterogeneous nature of meningococcal populations in carriers but probably also the evolutionary success of this human-restricted bacterium...
- Correlation between alterations of the penicillin-binding protein 2 and modifications of the peptidoglycan structure in Neisseria meningitidis with reduced susceptibility to penicillin GAude Antignac
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Biol Chem 278:31529-35. 2003..These results suggest that the D,D-transpeptidase and/or D,D-carboxypeptidase activities of PBP2 are modified by the changes in penA gene...
- Association of meningococcal phenotypes and genotypes with clinical characteristics and mortality of meningitis in childrenCorinne Levy
Groupe de Pathologie Infectieuse Pédiatrique, Société Française de Pédiatrie, Paris, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:618-23. 2010....
- Transgenic mice expressing human transferrin as a model for meningococcal infectionMaria Leticia Zarantonelli
Neisseria Unit, National Reference Centre for the Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 75:5609-14. 2007..Thus, transgenic mice expressing human transferrin may represent an important advance as a new mouse model for in vivo studies of meningococcal virulence and immunogenicity factors...
- Neisseria meningitidis serogroups W135 and A were equally prevalent among meningitis cases occurring at the end of the 2001 epidemics in Burkina Faso and NigerMuhamed Kheir Taha
Neisseria Unit, National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 40:1083-4. 2002..Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A is predominantly involved in these epidemics. We report here new data on the involvement of both serogroups A and W135 in meningitis cases in Burkina Faso and Niger at the end of the 2001 epidemic...
- Influenza A virus neuraminidase enhances meningococcal adhesion to epithelial cells through interaction with sialic acid-containing meningococcal capsulesMarie Anne Rameix-Welti
Institut Pasteur, Unité Postulante Infections Bactériennes Invasives, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 77:3588-95. 2009..A better understanding of the association between IAV and invasive meningococcal infections should help to set up improved control strategies against these seasonal dual viral-bacterial infections...
- Interlaboratory comparison of PCR-based identification and genogrouping of Neisseria meningitidisMuhamed Kheir Taha
Neisseria Unit and the French National Reference Center for Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 43:144-9. 2005..Genogroup B gave the best correlation between participants, as all laboratories routinely perform this PCR. The results for genogroups A and W135 were less similar between the eight participating laboratories that performed these PCRs...
- Meningococcal vaccines: to eradicate the disease, not the bacteriumMuhamed Kheir Taha
unité des Neisseria, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Hum Vaccin 3:149-52. 2007..Alternatively, targeted or local vaccine strategies may be developed against specific isolates and can help particularly in controlling outbreaks while preserving benefits from carriage...
- Neisseria meningitidis pili induce type-IIA phospholipase A2 expression in alveolar macrophagesLhousseine Touqui
Unité de Défense Innée et Inflammation, Inserm E 336, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris, France
FEBS Lett 579:4923-7. 2005..These data suggest that pili are potent inducers of sPLA2-IIA expression by AM, through a NF-kappaB-dependent process...
- [Clonal expansion of Neisseria meningitidis W135. Epidemiological implications for the African meningitis belt]I Parent du Châtelet
Association pour la médecine préventive, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 95:323-4; discussion 324-5. 2002..meningitidis of serogroup W135 during the 2001 epidemics in Niger and in Burkina Faso and discuss the implications of this new epidemiological feature for future surveillance and vaccine strategies...
- Continuing diversification of Neisseria meningitidis W135 as a primary cause of meningococcal disease after emergence of the serogroup in 2000Muhamed Kheir Taha
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:4158-63. 2004..Our results suggest the continuous emergence of new genetic lineages of serogroup W135 independently of the 2000 global outbreak...
- Molecular epidemiology of infectious diseases: the example of meningococcal diseaseMuhamed Kheir Taha
unité des Neisseria, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Res Microbiol 159:62-6. 2008
- [Anti-meningococcal vaccines]Muhamed Kheir Taha
Institut Pasteur, unité des Neisseria, Centre national de référence des mẃningocoques, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Rev Prat 58:2099-101. 2008..No vaccine is available against serogroup B saccharide. However, protein-based vaccines (recombinant vaccines or outer membrane vesicle vaccines) allow developing vaccines against serogroup B isolates...
- Circumvention of herd immunity during an outbreak of meningococcal disease could be correlated to escape mutation in the porA gene of Neisseria meningitidisM K Taha
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 69:1971-3. 2001..They were less susceptible to the bactericidal effect of normal human serum than was the ET-5 wild-type strain. These results are of concern, as PorA is a potential target in vaccine design...
- [Clonal spread of Neisseria meningitidis W135]M K Taha
unité des Neisseria, Département de Bactérologie et de Mycologie Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, F75724 Paris
Presse Med 30:1535-8. 2001..The recent expansion of Neisseria meningitidis of serogroup W135 among pilgrims and their contacts underlines the need of a multidisciplinary procedure of alert...
- Emerging drugs for acute bacterial meningitisAla Eddine Deghmane
Institut Pasteur, National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Invasive Bacterial Infections Provisional Unit, 28 rue du Dr Roux, Paris 75015, France
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 14:381-93. 2009..Other drugs that neutralize bacterial factors or host mechanisms involved in induction of inflammatory response are under development...
- Workshop on vaccine pressure and Neisseria meningitidis, Annecy, France, 9-11 March 2005Jean Michel Alonso
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Vaccine 25:4125-9. 2007..The workshop concluded that there is no current evidence to suggest that serogroup C conjugate vaccine pressure has resulted in meningococcal serogroup switching or replacement...
- Insertional inactivation of the lpxA gene involved in the biosynthesis of lipid A in Neisseria meningitidis resulted in lpxA/lpxA::aph-3' heterodiploidsMaria Leticia Zarantonelli
unité des Neisseria, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Cedex 15, Paris, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 226:51-6. 2003..The absence of lipooligosaccharide in these mutants may result from a negative transdominance effect of a truncated LpxA protein on the wild-type LpxA protein...
- Hyperinvasive genotypes of Neisseria meningitidis in FranceM L Zarantonelli
Neisseria Unit, National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:467-72. 2008....
- Bacterial meningitis in children: a French prospective studyEdouard Bingen
Service de Microbiologie EA3105, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 41:1059-63. 2005..7%). Approximately one-half of S. pneumoniae isolates had diminished susceptibility to penicillin. The case-fatality rates were 7.6% for children with N. meningitidis meningitis and 10.8% for children with S. pneumoniae infection...
- [Pathophysiology and molecular pathogenesis of meningococcal invasive infections]M K Taha
unité des Neisseria, Centre national de référence des méningocoques, Département de Médecine Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur, 25 28, rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Arch Pediatr 12:753-4. 2005
- Polymorphism of Neisseria meningitidis penA gene associated with reduced susceptibility to penicillinA Antignac
, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:285-96. 2001....
- Nonculture prediction of Neisseria meningitidis susceptibility to penicillinA Antignac
, , Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:3625-8. 2001..This approach was first validated with a collection of 75 meningococcal strains of known phenotypes. It was next successfully applied to 29 clinical samples...
- Recent increase in meningitis Caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A and W135, Yaoundé, CameroonMarie Christine Fonkoua
Centrte Pasteur du Cameroun, Yaounde, Cameroon
Emerg Infect Dis 8:327-9. 2002..The increase of serogroup A meningococci and the emergence of W135 strains highlight the need for increased surveillance for better diagnosis and prevention...
- Use of available outer membrane vesicle vaccines to control serogroup B meningococcal outbreaksMuhamed Kheir Taha
Vaccine 25:2537-8. 2007
- Ciprofloxacin resistance in Neisseria meningitidis, FranceAnna Skoczynska
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1322-3. 2008
- The rise and fall of epidemic Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135 meningitis in Burkina Faso, 2002-2005Yves Traore
Universite de Ouagadougou
Clin Infect Dis 43:817-22. 2006..During the period 2001-2002, Burkina Faso reported its first meningitis epidemic due to Neisseria meningitidis (Nm) serogroup W135, prompting concerns that this serogroup would persist as a cause of epidemic disease...
- Rifampin-resistant Neisseria meningitidisMuhamed Kheir Taha
Emerg Infect Dis 12:859-60. 2006
- The concept of "tailor-made", protein-based, outer membrane vesicle vaccines against meningococcal diseaseJohan Holst
Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
Vaccine 23:2202-5. 2005..This assumption is based on the epidemiological observation that meningococcal outbreaks in Africa are clonal and are strikingly stable regarding their phenotypic characteristics...
- [Immunoprophylaxis of respiratory infections]Christelle Dreffier
Laboratoire de Biopharmacie, Physico Chimie, Pharmacotechnie, UMR CNRS 8612, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5, rue Jean Baptiste Clement, 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Med Sci (Paris) 20:999-1003. 2004..Thanks to new technologies of humanized monoclonal antibodies, immunotherapy offers real promising perspectives for prophylactic and therapeutic therapies against a variety of current or emerging infectious diseases...
- Corticosteroids for bacterial meningitisMuhamed Kheir Taha
N Engl J Med 358:1400; author reply 1400-1. 2008