Affiliation: Hospices Civils de Lyon
- Congenital toxoplasmosis in twins: a report of fourteen consecutive cases and a comparison with published dataFrancois Peyron
Service de Parasitologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, 103 Grande Rue de la Croix Rousse, 69004 Lyon, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:695-701. 2003..Similarly little is known about the influence of genetic factors on the clinical course of this disease. The present study addresses these issues...
- Options for the pharmacotherapy of toxoplasmosis during pregnancyF Peyron
Service de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Exotique, Hĵpital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 2:1269-74. 2001..Before making any change in preventative strategy, it is of utmost importance to increase our knowledge on treatment efficacy through proper randomised trials of existing drugs and of new potentially active compounds...
- Fitness of Toxoplasma gondii is not related to DHFR single-nucleotide polymorphism during congenital toxoplasmosisFrancois Peyron
E A 3732, Parasitology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Claude Bernard University, Lyon, France
Int J Parasitol 34:1169-75. 2004..We concluded that the DHFR gene mutations we investigated do not regulate T. gondii fitness in humans...
- Serotyping of Toxoplasma gondii in chronically infected pregnant women: predominance of type II in Europe and types I and III in Colombia (South America)Francois Peyron
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Medicale et Pathologie Exotique, Equipe d Accueil E A 3732, Faculté de médecine de Lyon, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon, France
Microbes Infect 8:2333-40. 2006..We demonstrated that, despite some limitation due to antigen and/or antibody specificity, serotyping is a promising assay to investigate the relationship between type of strain and severity of the disease...
- When are we going to celebrate the centenary of the discovery of efficient treatment for congenital toxoplasmosis?F Peyron
Laboratoire de Parasitologie et Pathologie Exotique, hôpital de Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:316-9. 2009..We must make progress in this field through well-designed collaborative studies and by drawing the attention of policy makers to this disastrous and unsustainable situation...
- Toxoplasma gondii: comparison of human CD34+ and monocyte-derived dendritic cells after parasite infectionF Persat
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Medicale et Pathologie Exotique, Universite Claude Bernard, Lyon 1, EA 37 32, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Exp Parasitol 115:103-6. 2007..Under similar conditions, no significant difference was noticed between mature or immature mo-DC. These data indicated that CD34-DC represent an alternative model that allows migration assay of infected DC by T. gondii...
- Value of cerebrospinal fluid cytochemical examination for the diagnosis of congenital toxoplasmosis at birth in FranceM Wallon
Parasitology Department, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 17:705-10. 1998..Our goal was to assess the value of cytochemical examination and to confirm whether using a portion of available CSF for this analysis is legitimate...
- Heterogeneity in cellular and humoral immune responses against Toxoplasma gondii antigen in humansA F Fatoohi
E A 3087 Parasitologie, Faculté de Médecine Lyon Nord, and Laboratoire d Immunologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Clin Exp Immunol 136:535-41. 2004..However, only two proteins in the 20-40 kD range induced a significant humoral response. Further studies are necessary to determine which proteins in the Fr 26-31.9 kD and 32-36.9 kD are superior immunogens for cellular responses...
- Cellular immunity to Toxoplasma gondii in congenitally infected newborns and immunocompetent infected hostsA F Fatoohi
E A 3087 Parasitologie, Faculté de Médecine Lyon Nord, Laboratoire d Immunologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:181-4. 2003..Detection of CD25 constitutes a simple, sensitive and specific test for diagnosis of congenital toxoplasmosis...
- Congenital toxoplasmosis: systematic review of evidence of efficacy of treatment in pregnancyM Wallon
Service de Parasitologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, 69004 Lyons, France
BMJ 318:1511-4. 1999..To summarise the evidence that treating toxoplasmosis in pregnancy reduces the risk of congenital toxoplasma infection and improves infant outcomes...
- [Value of toxoplasma serology at delivery in women seronegative during pregnancy]M Wallon
Service de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Exotique, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, 103, Grande rue de la Croix Rousse, 69004 Lyon
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 30:697-9. 2001..As a consequence, late maternal infections resulting in a high risk of vertical transmission with potentially severe late sequelae are not detected...
- Serological rebound in congenital toxoplasmosis: long-term follow-up of 133 childrenM Wallon
Service de Parasitologie, Hĵpital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Eur J Pediatr 160:534-40. 2001..10; 95% CI: 0.47-2.58), and, among the 81 children who had one rebound diagnosed after initial treatment, in those who received an additional course of treatment and in those who did not (RR = 0.72; 95% CI: 0.30-1.72)...
- Delayed maturation of immunoglobulin G avidity: implication for the diagnosis of toxoplasmosis in pregnant womenM Lefevre-Pettazzoni
Departement de Parasitologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, 69317, Lyon Cedex 04, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:687-93. 2006..Estimation of the time of infection remains difficult, especially in cases in which the samples are drawn late in pregnancy; the final estimate must be based on several tests repeated at intervals of weeks...
- Effects of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine on Toxoplasma gondii cysts in miceM E Sarciron
Department of Parasitology and Medical Mycology, Claude Bernard University, Lyon, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:1531-6. 1997..These cysts were not viable, as confirmed by immunofluorescence and reinfection experiments. These experiments suggest a possible role for ddI in the treatment of toxoplasmosis, and this possibility deserves further investigation...
- [Toxoplasma infections in early pregnancy: consequences and management]M Wallon
Service de Parasitologie, Hospital de la Croix Rousse, 69317 Lyon Cedex 04, France
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 31:478-84. 2002..To assess the consequences for the fetus of maternal toxoplasma infection acquired during the first 8 weeks of gestation and to set guidelines on how to manage these maternal infections...
- Diagnosis of congenital toxoplasmosis at birth: what is the value of testing for IgM and IgA?M Wallon
Service de Parasitologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
Eur J Pediatr 158:645-9. 1999..The influence of the date of maternal infection on the sensitivity and negative predictive value was also clearly demonstrated...
- Absence of nucleotide polymorphism in a Plasmodium vivax multidrug resistance gene after failure of mefloquine prophylaxis in French GuyanaS Picot
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Médicale et Maladies Tropicales, E A 3732, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, Lyon 69373, France
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:234-7. 2005..vivax, when added to previously reported chloroquine and atovaquone-proguanil failure, strengthens the case for re-evaluating drug policies for vivax malaria and the need for continuous research on molecular markers of drug resistance...
- Seasonal variations in acute toxoplasmosis in pregnant women in the Rhône-Alpes region (France)L Morin
Institut de Parasitologie et de Mycologie Médicale, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:E401-3. 2012..Further studies on individual risks and environmental and climatic factors are needed to understand what prevention message should be given to susceptible pregnant women...
- Cellular immune responses to recombinant antigens in pregnant women chronically infected with Toxoplasma gondiiA F Fatoohi
E A 3087 Parasitologie, Faculté de Médecine Lyon Nord, Lyon, France
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 9:704-7. 2002..Interleukin-4 was always absent from supernatants of cells stimulated with toxoplasma antigens. The heterogeneity of human responses to individual recombinant toxoplasma antigens should be considered in the design of potential vaccines...
- Comparative diagnostic performance of two commercial rapid tests for malaria in a non-endemic areaF de Monbrison
Service de parasitologie et mycologie médicale, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:784-6. 2004..falciparum infections, and it generated seven false-positive results. The results suggest that these rapid diagnostic tests for malaria may be useful, but they cannot replace microscopic examination of blood films...
- [Real-time PCR for detection of molecular markers of resistance in Plasmodium falciparum]F de Monbrison
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Medicale et Pathologie Exotique, E A 3087, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Claude Bernard, 8, avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon cedex 03, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 51:528-33. 2003..The aim of this study was not to provide definitive data concerning the rate of mutations in an endemic area, but to describe a powerful method allowing the detection of major pfmdr1 and pfcrt mutations...
- Toxoplasma gondii regulates recruitment and migration of human dendritic cells via different soluble secreted factorsJ Diana
Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Laboratoire E A 37 32, Clinique Dermatologique, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Clin Exp Immunol 141:475-84. 2005..Taken together, these results suggest that T. gondii controls recruitment and migration of immature DC by different soluble factors and may induce a dysfunction in the host-specific immune response...
- Flow cytometric application of the Sabin and Feldman dye test in the diagnosis of toxoplasmosisG J Cozon
Unite d immunologie, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
J Microbiol Methods 38:131-6. 1999..Correlation was good (r = 0.85) for positive sera. In conclusion, when easily available, flow cytometry is a very sensitive, specific and time-sparing method to detect specific antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii...
- Treatments for toxoplasmosis in pregnancyF Peyron
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Medicale et Pathologie Exotique, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon, Cedex 08, France
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2000..Toxoplasmosis is a widespread parasitic disease and usually causes no symptoms. However, infection of pregnant women may cause congenital infection, resulting potentially in mental retardation and blindness in the infant...
- Congenital toxoplasma infection: monthly prenatal screening decreases transmission rate and improves clinical outcome at age 3 yearsM Wallon
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service de Parasitologie, et de Mycologie Médicale Hôpital de la Croix Rousse, 69004 Lyon, France
Clin Infect Dis 56:1223-31. 2013..Accurate risk estimates by GA are necessary to counsel parents and improve clinical decisions...
- Phenylalanine derivatives active against Toxoplasma gondii brain cysts in miceM E Sarciron
Pharmaceutical Department of Parasitology and Medical Mycology, Lyon, France
Parasite 5:359-64. 1998..The present study provides evidence on the efficacy of phenylalanine derivatives and especially Boc-Phe 3, against T.gondii brain cysts in mice...
- [Side effects of chemoprophylaxis: real or imagined?]F Peyron
Laboratoire de Parasitologie et Pathologie Exotique, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373 Lyon, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 94:156-8. 2001..We propose that the various scientific associations concerned by the issue draw together an information sheet on side effects so as to encourage practioners to investigate all cases of intolerance of antimalarial drugs...
- [Congenital toxoplasmosis: long-term ophthalmologic follow-up praised by patients]L Beraud
Service de Parasitologie et Pathologie Exotique, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, 103, Grande rue de la Croix Rousse, 69317 Lyon Cedex 04, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 36:494-8. 2013..The goal of this study was to provide doctors with patient-reported information on how they perceived the long-term monitoring of their disease...
- Toxoplasma encephalitis: influence of the vehicle on the efficacy of different doses of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine in miceA Gherardi
Département Pharmaceutique de Parasitologie et de Mycologie Médicale, Universite Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
Parasite 7:39-42. 2000..So ddI has an effect on the cerebral cysts of T. gondii even at a low dose. The galenic formulation influences its action since the doses prepared with Maalox were less efficient than those prepared from ground tablets...