- Neisseria sicca Endocarditis Complicated by Intracranial and Popliteal Aneurysms in a Patient with a Bicuspid Aortic ValveGuillaume Debellemanière
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center of Besançon, 25030 Besancon, France
Case Rep Infect Dis 2013:895138. 2013..The patient fully recovered after antibiotic therapy, aortic and mitral valve replacement, endovascular occlusion of the middle-cerebral artery aneurysm, and surgical treatment of the popliteal artery aneurysm...
- [Epidemiology of infective endocarditis]Bruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, France
Rev Prat 62:511-4. 2012..These changes resulted in a decreased incidence of streptococcal endocarditis and an increased incidence of staphylococcal endocarditis...
- Structured treatment interruptions in primary HIV-1 infection: the ANRS 100 PRIMSTOP trialBruno Hoen
Department of Infectious Diseases and EA 3186, University Medical Center of Besançon and Université de Franche Comté, Villejuif, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:307-16. 2005....
- [Differentiating bacterial from viral meningitis: contribution of nonmicrobiological laboratory tests]B Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, CHU de Besancon, 2, Place Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Med Mal Infect 39:468-72. 2009....
- Emergence of endocarditis due to group D streptococci: findings derived from the merged database of the International Collaboration on EndocarditisB Hoen
University Hospital of Besancon, Besancon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:12-6. 2005..In conclusion, this study confirmed that S. bovis IE has unique characteristics when compared to endocarditis due to oral streptococci and that it emerged in the 1990s, mainly in France, a finding that is yet unexplained...
- Non-staphylococcal Gram-positive bacteraemia without a known sourceBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:S15-7. 2008..These organisms include streptococci of groups A, B, C and G. Bacteraemia caused by nutritionally variant streptococci is also discussed...
- Epidemiology and antibiotic treatment of infective endocarditis: an updateBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Heart 92:1694-700. 2006
- [Infective endocarditis: epidemiology and diagnosis]B Hoen
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, Hopital Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 28:S22-6. 2007
- Iron and infection: clinical experienceB Hoen
Centre Hospitalier Régional et Universitaire de Besançon, Hopital Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Am J Kidney Dis 34:S30-4. 1999..However, the relationships between iron levels, anemia, and susceptibility to bacterial infection require further investigation...
- Highly active antiretroviral treatment initiated early in the course of symptomatic primary HIV-1 infection: results of the ANRS 053 trialB Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besançon Hôpital Saint Jacques, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
J Infect Dis 180:1342-6. 1999..The median CD4 lymphocyte increase from baseline was 230 cells/microL. These preliminary results support the use of HAART in patients with primary HIV-1 infection...
- [What has changed in the profile of infective endocarditis?]Bruno Hoen
Association pour l étude et la prévention de l endocardite infectieuse, France
Presse Med 39:701-3. 2010..These changes also resulted in a decreasing incidence of streptococcal IE, which was compensated by an increased incidence of staphylococcal IE...
- Prognostic factors in 61 cases of Staphylococcus aureus prosthetic valve infective endocarditis from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis merged databaseC Chirouze
University Hospital of Besancon, France
Clin Infect Dis 38:1323-7. 2004..6%)...
- Streptococcus bovis/Streptococcus equinus complex fecal carriage, colorectal carcinoma, and infective endocarditis: a new appraisal of a complex connectionC Chirouze
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Franche Comte, UMR 6249, University Hospital, 25000 Besancon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 32:1171-6. 2013..Most strains belonged to S. bovis biotype II, while S. gallolyticus was found only once. These findings suggest that different GDS play different roles in the etiopathogenesis of IE and colorectal cancer...
- A decision tree to help determine the best timing and antiretroviral strategy in HIV-infected patientsL Piroth
Department of Infectious Diseases, CHU Dijon, and Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, F 21000, France
Epidemiol Infect 139:1835-44. 2011..Immediate HAART is beneficial in patients with a baseline HIV viral load 5 log10 copies/ml, whereas deferred HAART appears to be the best option for patients with CD4 ≥350/mm3 and baseline HIV viral load <3·5 log10 copies/ml...
- Enterococcal endocarditis in the beginning of the 21st century: analysis from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis-Prospective Cohort StudyC Chirouze
CHRU Besançon, Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Besancon, France Université de Franche Comté, UMR CNRS 6249, Besancon, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:1140-7. 2013..01--1.04, p 0.002). Surgery was not associated with better outcome. Enterococci are an important cause of IE, with a high mortality rate. Healthcare association and vancomycin resistance are common in particular in North America...
- [Regional audit on fluoroquinolones usage in the hospital and the community: are these antibiotics over-used?]J Leroy
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, pôle gestion du risque infectieux et sanitaire, CHU de Besancon, 25030 Besancon, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 59:e103-7. 2011..With the objective to set up a regional antibiotic stewardship program, we conducted a regional audit on FQs usage...
- A randomized trial of two-drug versus three-drug tenofovir-containing maintenance regimens in virologically controlled HIV-1 patientsPierre Marie Girard
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:126-34. 2009..To assess simplified maintenance regimens containing dual antiretroviral drugs in patients with controlled human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection...
- Leptospirosis in Franche-Comté (FRANCE): clinical, biological, and therapeutic dataJ M Estavoyer
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, 25030 Besancon, France
Med Mal Infect 43:379-85. 2013..Our aim was to compare the epidemiological, clinical, biological, and therapeutic characteristics of leptospirosis in the Franche-Comté region, to those reported in other regions...
- [Ecthyma gangrenosum caused by Pseudomonas stutzeri with bacteraemia and systemic vascularitis]E Puzenat
Service de Dermatologie I, CHU Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon, France
Rev Med Interne 25:315-8. 2004..Ecthyma gangrenosum is a cutaneous manifestation of Pseudomonas infections. This condition may be associated with bacteraemia but can also occur in the absence of bacteraemia...
- Characteristics and regional variations of group D streptococcal endocarditis in FranceE Giannitsioti
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, France, and University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:770-6. 2007..3% and Rhône-Alpes 65.3%) than in exclusively urban regions (Paris and Ile de France 58.0%). Further investigations are required to elucidate the link in France between the incidence of GDS IE, rural residency and nutritional factors...
- Infective endocarditis prophylaxis: moving from dental prophylaxis to global prevention?C Chirouze
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon, Besancon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2089-95. 2012....
- [Evaluation of antibiotic prescription in a French university hospital]I Patry
Service de Bacteriologie, CHU de Besancon, Besancon, France
Med Mal Infect 38:378-82. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate antibiotic prescription in a French university hospital...
- [Risk factors for Abacavir-induced hypersensibility syndrome in the "real world"]C Chirouze
Service des Maladies Infectieuses, CHU Saint Jacques, Place Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 52:529-33. 2004....
- [Clinical audit on the use of expensive systemic antifungals in the Besançon University Hospital]S Raymond
Pôle pharmaceutique, CHU de Besancon, 25030 Besancon, France
Med Mal Infect 39:125-32. 2009..The principle of a clinical audit is to compare practice to guidelines. Prescription guidelines on antifungal agent use has been available in our hospital since 2003. It was updated in 2005 and 2006...
- Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in FranceBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
JAMA 288:75-81. 2002....
- Special issues in the management of infective endocarditis caused by gram-positive cocciBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, F 25030 Besancon, France
Infect Dis Clin North Am 16:437-52, xi. 2002....
- Compliance to recommendations for the management of curative treatment of Plasmodium vivax/ovale infectionsJ F Faucher
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHRU Jean Minjoz, 3, Boulevard Fleming, 25030 Besancon, France Electronic address
Med Mal Infect 44:387-9. 2014..We assessed the compliance to recommendations for the routine management of Plasmodium vivax/ovale malaria, and analyzed the impact of discrepancies on the quality of care...
- Incidence of and risk factors for severe liver toxicity in HIV-infected patients on anti-tuberculosis treatmentE Pukenyte
Department of Infectious Diseases, Centre Hospitalier de Tourcoing, Tourcoing, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:78-84. 2007....
- Switching the nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor backbone to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate + emtricitabine promptly improves triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in dyslipidaemic patientsM A Valantin
Department of Infectious Diseases, AP HP, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:556-61. 2010..To assess the impact of switching to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate + emtricitabine on lipid parameters...
- Infective endocarditis epidemiology and consequences of prophylaxis guidelines modifications: the dialectical evolutionC Chirouze
centre hospitalier régional universitaire de Besançon, Besancon, France
Curr Infect Dis Rep 16:440. 2014..Policy must now address these epidemiological modifications, focus on community-acquired and health care-associated staphylococcal bacteremia prevention, and prompt the adoption of broader and nonexclusively antibiotic-based strategies. ..
- Penetration of daptomycin into bone and synovial fluid in joint replacementD Montange
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie Clinique et Toxicologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon, Besancon, France EA 3920, Marqueurs Pronostiques et Facteurs de Régulations des Pathologies Cardiaques et Vasculaires SFR FED 4234, Universite de Franche Comte, Besancon, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:3991-6. 2014..0% (interquartile range [IQR], 4.4 to 11.4). These results support the use of daptomycin in the treatment of Staphylococcus aureus bone and joint infections. ..
- An undetectable polymerase chain reaction signal in routine HIV plasma viral load monitoring is associated with better virological outcomes in patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyP Pugliese
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hopital de l Archet, Nice, France
HIV Med 14:509-15. 2013....
- Environmental risk factors for haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in a French new epidemic areaJ F Viel
CNRS no 6249 Chrono Environment, Faculty of Medicine, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 2 Place Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Epidemiol Infect 139:867-74. 2011..Concerted efforts that combine reservoir monitoring, surveillance, and investigation of human cases are warranted to better understand the epidemiological patterns of HFRS in this area...
- Clusters of autochthonous hepatitis A cases in a low endemicity areaH Guis
Department of Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Besancon, France
Epidemiol Infect 134:498-505. 2006..This study reveals the necessity of regular surveillance for hepatitis A and raises the issue of virological surveys of pool waters...
- Intravenous iron administration does not significantly increase the risk of bacteremia in chronic hemodialysis patientsB Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hĵpital Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Clin Nephrol 57:457-61. 2002..Recently, concern was raised that intravenous iron administration might promote infection in dialysis patients...
- [Critical analysis of antibiotic treatment of acute gastroenteritis in infants and young children]N Khayat
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, 2, Place Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Arch Pediatr 9:1230-5. 2002..Antibiotics are usually not recommended in the management of acute gastroenteritis (AGE) in infants. Our study aimed at testing whether our practice was in adequacy with this recommendation...
- [Interest in therapeutic drug monitoring of the main antibiotics]S Davani
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, CHU Jean Minjoz, 25030 Besancon, France
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 60:655-61. 2002..Then, the therapeutic drug monitoring of these antibiotics and their methods of analysis is reviewed...
- Typhoidal tularemia: 2 familial casesJ F Faucher
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Case Rep Infect Dis 2012:214215. 2012..The source of infection is unclear. As persons in the same family may likely be exposed to a common zoonotic source of infection, tularemia should be considered in the etiologies of familial fever epidemics...
- [Salmonella glenohumeral arthritis]R Chastel
EA 4268 Innovation, Imagerie, ingénierie et intervention en santé I4S IFR 133 Inserm, pôle innovation et technique chirurgicale, Service d Orthopedie, de Traumatologie, de Chirurgie Plastique, Reconstructrice et Assistance Main, CHU Jean Minjoz, Universite de Franche Comte, Boulevard Fleming, Besancon, France
Chir Main 30:413-6. 2011..Apyrexia was obtained by 72 hours and inflammatory syndrome was normalized in 12 days. The patient was reviewed regularly until the 3rd month. She has no clinical sequelae. Her osteoarthritis remained stable throughout follow-up...
- [Seroprevalence of Central European tick-borne encephalitis in the Lorraine region]H Schuhmacher
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Nancy, Vandoeuvrelès Nancy, France
Presse Med 28:221-4. 1999..As 2 cases of tick-borne encephalitis were diagnosed in the Nancy region, a seroepidemiological survey was conducted in the Lorraine region (Meurthe & Moselle, Moselle, Vosges, Meuse) in 1996...
- Low serum procalcitonin level accurately predicts the absence of bacteremia in adult patients with acute feverCatherine Chirouze
Services de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University Hospital of Besancon, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Clin Infect Dis 35:156-61. 2002..05). A serum PCT level of <0.4 ng/mL accurately rules out the diagnosis of bacteremia. The use of PCT assessment could help physicians limit the number of blood cultures to be processed and the number of antibiotic prescriptions...
- The management of leptospirosisJean François Faucher
Service des Maladies Infectiuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, Cedex, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:819-27. 2004..Ciprofloxacin may be combined with standard therapy in uveitis. Adjunctive therapies proposed in the management of severe forms of leptospirosis and Jarisch-Herxheimer reactions, are reviewed...
- [Follow up of HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral treatment]Catherine Chirouze
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex
Rev Prat 56:966-75. 2006..The immunologic restoration under antiretroviral treatment makes possible for the physicians to stop the chimioprophylaxies given against the opportunist infections...
- Endocarditis in patients with a permanent pacemaker: a 1-year epidemiological survey on infective endocarditis due to valvular and/or pacemaker infectionXavier Duval
University Medical Center of Bichat Claude Bernard, Assistance Publique Hôpital de Paris, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 39:68-74. 2004..The incidence of age- and sex-standardized IE was 550 cases/million PM recipients per year. The incidence of IE with PM involvement is between that of valvular IE in the general population and prosthetic valve IE...
- Predictors of virological outcome and safety in primary HIV type 1-infected patients initiating quadruple antiretroviral therapy: QUEST GW PROB3005Bruno Hoen
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Centre, Besancon, France
Clin Infect Dis 45:381-90. 2007..Initiation of antiretroviral therapy during primary human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infection may confer long-term benefit...
- Staphylococcus aureus native valve infective endocarditis: report of 566 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseJose M Miro
Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 41:507-14. 2005..Staphylococcus aureus native valve infective endocarditis (SA-NVIE) is not completely understood. The objective of this investigation was to describe the characteristics of a large, international cohort of patients with SA-NVIE...
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of aortic endocarditis with periannular abscess in the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseIgnasi Anguera
The Corporació Sanitària Parc Taulí, Hospital de Sabadell, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Cardiol 96:976-81. 2005..S. aureus infection is an independent prognostic factor for mortality in patients who have abscess formation...
- The use and effect of surgical therapy for prosthetic valve infective endocarditis: a propensity analysis of a multicenter, international cohortAndrew Wang
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am Heart J 150:1086-91. 2005....
- Genotypic drug resistance during HIV-1 primary infection in France (1996-1999): frequency and response to treatmentMartine Harzic
Service de Microbiologie, Centre Hospitalier de Versailles, Le Chesnay, France
AIDS 16:793-6. 2002
- Parallel decline of CD8+/CD38++ T cells and viraemia in response to quadruple highly active antiretroviral therapy in primary HIV infectionRichard Tilling
Department of Immunology and Molecular Pathology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London NW3 2QG, UK
AIDS 16:589-96. 2002..To monitor changes in the numbers of CD8 lymphocytes expressing the activated CD38++ phenotype in peripheral blood samples from patients with primary HIV infection (PHI) treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Influence of diabetes mellitus on the clinical manifestations and prognosis of infective endocarditis: a report from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis-Merged DatabaseWissam M Kourany
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 38:613-9. 2006..08-2.70), especially in male patients, as diabetic males had higher mortality than non-diabetic males (OR 2.18, CI 1.08-4.35). DM is an independent predictor of in-hospital mortality among patients hospitalized with IE...
- Treatment and prevention of infective endocarditisFrancois Delahaye
Hopital Louis Pradel, BP Lyon Montchat, 69394 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 3:131-45. 2002....
- Propionibacterium endocarditis: a case series from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged Database and Prospective Cohort StudyTahaniyat Lalani
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, 2400 Pratt Street, Cube 7545, Durham, NC 27710 USA
Scand J Infect Dis 39:840-8. 2007..The clinical course is characterized by complications such as valvular dehiscence, cardiac abscesses and congestive heart failure. Treatment may require a combination of medical and surgical therapy...
- Infective endocarditis: a frequent disease in dialysis patientsBruno Hoen
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1360-2. 2004
- In-hospital mortality of infective endocarditis: prognostic factors and evolution over an 8-year periodFrancois Delahaye
Hopital Cardiovasculaire et Pneumologique, Lyon, France
Scand J Infect Dis 39:849-57. 2007..Multivariate analysis identified factors classically known as having an impact on mortality. However, other factors, such as age and responsibility of Staphylococcus aureus, were not retained in the model...
- Impact of therapeutic immunization on HIV-1 viremia after discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy initiated during acute infectionSabine Kinloch-de Loes
Department of Medicine, Royal Free Centre for HIV Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 192:607-17. 2005..Our trial design appears to be feasible and safe for testing future immune-boosting strategies...
- Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis: a consequence of medical progressVance G Fowler
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
JAMA 293:3012-21. 2005..The global significance of infective endocarditis (IE) caused by Staphylococcus aureus is unknown...
- Native valve endocarditis due to coagulase-negative staphylococci: report of 99 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseVivian H Chu
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1527-30. 2004..These results emphasize the importance of CoNS as a cause of NVE and the potential for serious complications with this infection...
- Candida endocarditis: contemporary cases from the International Collaboration of Infectious Endocarditis Merged Database (ICE-mD)Daniel K Benjamin
Department of Pediatrics, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 36:453-5. 2004..We evaluated 16 patients with Candida IE nested within a cohort of 2,022 patients with IE. Prosthetic valve IE was more common in patients with Candida (50% vs 17%); mortality was 37% for patients with Candida...
- Use of surgery in patients with native valve infective endocarditis: results from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseChristopher H Cabell
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am Heart J 150:1092-8. 2005..The aim of the study was to characterize patients with native valve IE relative to surgery and to determine if patients who benefit from an early surgical intervention can be identified...
- Genotypic diversity of coagulase-negative staphylococci causing endocarditis: a global perspectiveCathy A Petti
Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1780-4. 2008..In particular, rpoB sequence data demonstrated unique genetic signatures with the potential to serve as an important tool for global surveillance...
- Diabetes mellitus and infective endocarditis: the insulin factor in patient morbidity and mortalityXavier Duval
Universite Paris 7, Denis Diderot, Laboratoire de pathologie Infectieuse, Paris, France
Eur Heart J 28:59-64. 2007..To analyse the characteristics of infective endocarditis (IE) in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM), and to evaluate the prognostic significance of DM according to insulin use...
- Emergence of coagulase-negative staphylococci as a cause of native valve endocarditisVivian H Chu
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:232-42. 2008..Coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) are an infrequent cause of native valve endocarditis (NVE), and our understanding of NVE caused by CoNS is incomplete...
- Leptotrichia endocarditis: report of two cases from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis (ICE) database and review of previous casesL B Caram
Division of Infectious Diseases, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3824, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:139-43. 2008..goodfellowii sp. nov. Both cases were identified using 16S rRNA gene sequencing. Review of the English literature revealed only two other cases of Leptotrichia sp. endocarditis...
- Introduction of SARS in France, March-April, 2003Jean Claude Desenclos
Département Maladies Infectieuses, Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France
Emerg Infect Dis 10:195-200. 2004..Timely detection, isolation of probable case-patients, and quarantine of their contacts appear to have been effective in preventing the secondary spread of SARS in France...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditisJames L Harrison
Department of Cardiology, St Mary s Hospital, London, UK
Lancet 371:1317-9. 2008