- Phylogenetic relationships among Pneumocystis from Asian macaques inferred from mitochondrial rRNA sequencesJacques Guillot
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR INRA AFSSA ENVA UPVM, Biologie MolÃ©culaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale VÃ©tÃ©rinaire d Alfort, Alfort, France
Mol Phylogenet Evol 31:988-96. 2004..mulatta and M. fascicularis suggesting that host-species restriction may not systematically occur in the genus Pneumocystis. Alternatively, these observations question about the species concept in macaques...
- Eumycetoma caused by Cladophialophora bantiana in a dogJ Guillot
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, UMR BIPAR, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:4901-3. 2004..This is, to the best of our knowledge, the first case in which C. bantiana is identified as the causative agent of eumycetoma...
- Frequency, body distribution, and population size of Malassezia species in healthy dogs and in dogs with localized cutaneous lesionsClaudia Cafarchia
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Vet Diagn Invest 17:316-22. 2005..Using fungal culture as the gold standard, cytological examination showed good relative specificity (95%) but very low relative sensitivity (30%)...
- Reliability of coprological diagnosis of Paramphistomum sp. infection in cowsEmilie Rieu
Service de Parasitologie, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Parasitol 146:249-53. 2007..9. A significant relationship was clearly established between epg counts and parasites burden: more than 100 epg indicated the presence of more than 100 adult paramphistomes in rumen and/or reticulum...
- Evaluation of fungal aerosols using Temporal Temperature Gradient Electrophoresis (TTGE) and comparison with cultureAdélaïde Nieguitsila
INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UPVM, UMR 956, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Microbiol Methods 70:86-95. 2007..However, few fungal species were detected by PCR-TTGE and not by cultivation, suggesting that the combination of these approaches may provide a better analysis of fungal diversity in air samples than either method alone...
- Parasites of domestic owned cats in Europe: co-infestations and risk factorsFrederic Beugnet
Merial S, A, S, 29 Av Tony Garnier, Lyon 69007, France
Parasit Vectors 7:291. 2014..The present survey aimed to improve knowledge of the prevalence and risk factors associated with ecto- and endoparasite infestations in owned cats in Europe...
- Pythiosis in AfricaChristine Rivierre
Clinique vétérinaire de la Plage, Marseille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 11:479-81. 2005..The etiologic agent belonged to the genus Pythium. Phylogenetic analysis placed the isolate in a sister group to the other P. insidiosum strains. However, the isolate may belong to a new Pythium species...
- Simple and highly discriminatory VNTR-based multiplex PCR for tracing sources of Aspergillus flavus isolatesDong Ying Wang
Parasitology Department, College of Animal Science and Technology, Guangxi University, Nanning, China
PLoS ONE 7:e44204. 2012..The MLVA technique should be considered as an excellent and cost-effective typing method that could be used in many laboratories without the need for sophisticated equipment...
- Ocular thelaziosis in dogs, FrancePerrine Ruytoor
É cole Nationale Vétérinaire d Alfort, Anses, UPEC, Maisons Alfort, France
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1943-5. 2010..Most cases were detected in Dordogne, particularly in 3 counties with numerous strawberry farms, which may favor development of the fruit fly vector. Animal thelaziosis may lead to emergence of human cases...
- Questionnaire-based survey on distribution and clinical incidence of canine babesiosis in FranceLénaïg Halos
Merial, 29 Avenue Tony Garnier, 69007, Lyon, France
BMC Vet Res 9:41. 2013..The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical occurrence of canine babesiosis diagnosed in veterinary clinics in order to propose an updated map of the disease distribution in France...
- [Nematodes of the genus Oesophagostomum: an emerging risk for humans and apes in Africa?]Jacques Guillot
UMR BIPAR, Service de Parasitologie, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort cedex
Bull Acad Natl Med 195:1955-63; discussion 1963. 2011..In Uganda, where the situation is diferent, cross-infection is probably more frequent...
- Multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis for molecular typing of Aspergillus fumigatusSimon Thierry
ENVA, UMR BIPAR, Ecopham, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
BMC Microbiol 10:315. 2010..The usefulness of MLVA was recently demonstrated for the avian major pathogen Chlamydophila psittaci. In the present study, we developed a similar method for another pathogen of birds: the filamentous fungus Aspergillus fumigatus...
- Comparative efficacies of oral ketoconazole and terbinafine for reducing Malassezia population sizes on the skin of Basset HoundsJacques Guillot
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Dermatol 14:153-7. 2003..In further studies, oral terbinafine should be evaluated for the management of canine cases of Malassezia dermatitis...
- The genus Malassezia: old facts and new conceptsJ Guillot
INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UMR 956, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Parassitologia 50:77-9. 2008..This analysis demonstrated the presence of multiple secreted lipases to aid in harvesting host lipids. It also revealed the presence of mating-type genes, providing an indication that Malassezia yeasts may be capable of sex...
- Parallel phylogenies of Pneumocystis species and their mammalian hostsJ Guillot
UMR INRA AFSSA ENVA Paris XII Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Eukaryot Microbiol . 2001..However, the relative position of P. carinii groups (rodent, camivore or primate-derived P. carinii) could not be clearly determined. Further resolution will require the integration of additional sequence data...
- Assessment of Pneumocystis species carriage in captive primatesC Demanche
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR 956, INRA AFSSA ENVA Paris XII Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 94704 Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Rec 152:811-3. 2003
- Molecular monitoring of fungal communities in air samples by denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography (D-HPLC)A Nieguitsila
UMR ENVA, AFSSA, UPEC, BIPAR, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Appl Microbiol 109:910-7. 2010..To describe a new molecular technique for the assessment of fungal diversity in the air...
- A single PCR-restriction endonuclease analysis for rapid identification of Malassezia speciesJ Guillot
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, UMR956 INRA AFSSA ENVA, Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Lett Appl Microbiol 31:400-3. 2000..The present study describes a system based on PCR and restriction endonuclease analysis (REA) to distinguish the seven currently recognized Malassezia species...
- Evaluation of the dermatophyte test medium RapidVet-DJ Guillot
UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, France
Vet Dermatol 12:123-7. 2001..With the optimum incubation temperature 27 degrees C, a systematic colour change could be observed only a few days post-inoculation: 3 days with M. canis infected hairs, 4 days with T. equinum and 5 days with T. mentagrophytes...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii dihydropteroate synthase genotypes in French patients with pneumocystosis: a 1998-2001 prospective studyS Latouche
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, UFR Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Med Mycol 41:533-7. 2003..There was no significant difference in favourable or adverse outcome in PCP caused by the wild or mutant DHPS genotypes (P = 0.34)...
- Malassezia pachydermatis: a reviewJ Guillot
Unité de Parasitologie Mycologie, UMR Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Med Mycol 37:295-306. 1999..pachydermatis for susceptible humans. In the future, the development of efficient typing systems should allow better understanding of the transmission mechanisms...
- Evolution of the environmental contamination by thermophilic fungi in a turkey confinement house in FranceS L Fulleringer
INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UPVM, UMR 956 Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 94700 Maisons Alfort, France
Poult Sci 85:1875-80. 2006..fumigatus isolates. As during the study period, no outbreak of fungal infections occurred; the levels of fungal contaminations reported here do not seem sufficient, at least alone, to trigger fungal infections...
- Dermatophytoses in animalsRene Chermette
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, Maisons Alfort Cedex 94704, France
Mycopathologia 166:385-405. 2008..Prevention is difficult, but research development on the immune response to dermatophytes and the use of vaccination, especially in cattle, have brought some interesting results...
- Aspergillus fumigatus conidia inhibit tumour necrosis factor- or staurosporine-induced apoptosis in epithelial cellsNadia Berkova
INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UPVM, UMR 956 22 rue Curie, Maisons Alfort Cedex F 94700, France
Int Immunol 18:139-50. 2006..For TNF-induced apoptosis, the observed anti-apoptotic effect of Af conidia was found to be associated with a significant reduction of caspase-3...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of oral lufenuron combined with topical enilconazole for the management of dermatophytosis in catteriesJ Guillot
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA Paris XII Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, France
Vet Rec 150:714-8. 2002....
- Effects of conidia of various Aspergillus species on apoptosis of human pneumocytes and bronchial epithelial cellsF Femenia
INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UMR 956 22 rue Curie, 94700, Maisons Alfort Cedex, France
Mycopathologia 167:249-62. 2009..The results suggest that suppression of apoptosis may play a role in reducing the efficacy of host defense mechanisms during infection with Aspergillus species...
- Fatal systemic phaeohyphomycosis in a cat due to Cladophialophora bantianaL Elies
UP d Histologie et d Anatomie Pathologique, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 50:50-3. 2003..The origin of systemic manifestation is still unknown and no evidence of immunosuppression was found. It is the first feline case of C. bantiana infection reported in Europe...
- Absence of mutations associated with sulfa resistance in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene from non-human primatesC Demanche
UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA Paris XII Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, France
Med Mycol 40:315-8. 2002..carinii DHPS sequence at codons 55 and 57 was observed. These data support the hypothesis that high rates of DHPS mutants in P. carinii f. sp. hominis have arisen with increased use of sulfa drugs for P. carinii pneumonia prophylaxis...
- Clinical, mycological and pathological findings in turkeys experimentally infected by Aspergillus fumigatusFrançoise Féménia
UMR INRA, AFSSA, ENVA, UPVM, 956 BIPAR Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Avian Pathol 36:213-9. 2007..The present study demonstrated that healthy turkey poults might be able to withstand exposure to 10(7) A. fumigatus spores...
- Molecular and serological evidence of Pneumocystis circulation in a social organization of healthy macaques (Macaca fascicularis)Christine Demanche
Equipe de Mycologie, UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA UPVM Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort, France
Microbiology 151:3117-25. 2005..However, the implication of the various members of the colony was probably different and several levels of colonization by Pneumocystis may occur in immunocompetent macaques...
- Influence of climatic factors on Pneumocystis carriage within a socially organized group of immunocompetent macaques (Macaca fascicularis)Christine Demanche
UMR BIPAR, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, France
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:611-3. 2003..5%). The number of macaques with detectable Pneumocystis DNA was highly variable from one month to another. However, Pnemocystis carriage was clearly correlated to the mean precipitation rates...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Trichophyton mentagrophytes human and animal isolates based on MnSOD and ITS sequence comparisonEmilie Frealle
Departement de Parasitologie Mycologie, Faculte de Medecine, Pole de Microbiologie, CHRU de Lille, EA3609, Universite de Lille 2, Lille, France
Microbiology 153:3466-77. 2007..Relationships between ITS/MnSOD sequences and host origin, clinical pattern and phenotypic characteristics (macroscopic and microscopic morphologies) were analysed...
- Pneumocystis oryctolagi sp. nov., an uncultured fungus causing pneumonia in rabbits at weaning: review of current knowledge, and description of a new taxon on genotypic, phylogenetic and phenotypic basesEduardo Dei-Cas
ECOPA EA 3609, Lille Pasteur Institute, Lille, France
FEMS Microbiol Rev 30:853-71. 2006..The present work focuses on Pneumocystis oryctolagi sp. nov. from Old-World rabbits. This new species has been described on the basis of both biological and phylogenetic species concepts...
- Multilocus mutation scanning for the analysis of genetic variation within Malassezia (Basidiomycota: Malasseziales)Claudia Cafarchia
Dipartimento di Sanità e Benessere Animale, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Electrophoresis 28:1176-80. 2007..It will also provide a powerful tool for studies of Malassezia isolates from other animal species...
- Molecular characterization of Malassezia isolates from dogs using three distinct genetic markers in nuclear DNAClaudia Cafarchia
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Str prov le per Casamassima Km 3, 70010, Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Mol Cell Probes 21:229-38. 2007..pachydermatis occur on dogs. The multilocus approach employed herein provides a foundation for future investigations of M. pachydermatis from other animals and humans, and their ecology and epidemiology...
- Lymphocutaneous and nasal sporotrichosis in a dog from southern Italy: case reportClaudia Cafarchia
Dipartimento di Sanità e Benessere Animale, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Str prov le per Casamassima Km, 3, 70010, Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Mycopathologia 163:75-9. 2007..Fungal cultures of nasal and ulcerated skin swabs yielded colonies of S. schenckii. The dog received oral itraconazole but died of unrelated causes. Necropsic examination was not performed...
- Phylogenetic systematics and evolution of primate-derived Pneumocystis based on mitochondrial or nuclear DNA sequence comparisonJean Pierre Hugot
Museum national d histoire naturelle, Departement Systematique et Evolution, UMS Origine, Structure et Evolution de la Biodiversité, 75 231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Syst Biol 52:735-44. 2003..This study also provides support for the hypothesis that the different Pneumocystis species are genetically independent organisms, helping to clarify their taxonomic status...
- Bartonella chomelii sp. nov., isolated from French domestic cattle (Bos taurus)Renaud Maillard
UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA UPVM, Microbiologie, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94 704 Maisons Alfort, France
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 54:215-20. 2004..The name Bartonella chomelii is proposed for the new species. The type strain of Bartonella chomelii sp. nov. is A828T (=CIP 107869T=CCUG47497T)...
- Development of a real-time PCR-based fluorescence assay for rapid detection of point mutations in Pneumocystis jirovecii dihydropteroate synthase geneNicaise G Tuikue Ndam
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, UFR Saint Antoine, Paris, France
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:658-60. 2003
- Isolation of Microsporum canis from the hair coat of pet dogs and cats belonging to owners diagnosed with M. canis tinea corporisClaudia Cafarchia
Dipartimento di Sanità e Benessere Animale, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Strada Provinciale per Casamassima Km 3, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Vet Dermatol 17:327-31. 2006..These results clearly indicate that both cats and dogs should be considered as a major source of pathogenic dermatophytes for humans even when they do not present clinical signs of dermatophytosis...
- Pneumocystis species, co-evolution and pathogenic powerCécile Marie Aliouat-Denis
Parasitology Mycology Laboratory, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, EA3609 Lille 2 University, IFR 142 Lille Pasteur Institute, France
Infect Genet Evol 8:708-26. 2008..Pneumocystis infection of immunocompetent hosts emerges therefore as a relevant issue to human as well as animal health...
- Detection of Pneumocystis spp. in lung samples from pigs in BrazilE M Cavallini Sanches
Sections of Veterinary Mycology, Departamento de Patologia Clinica Veterinaria, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Med Mycol 45:395-9. 2007..Preventive and/or therapeutic strategies should be developed in order to minimize the incidence of respiratory fungal infections in pigs and associated economic losses...
- Frequency of intravascular catheter colonization by Malassezia spp. in adult patientsNathalie Curvale-Fauchet
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Hôpital Henri Mondor AP HP, Universite Paris XII, and UMR BIPAR 956, Creteil, France
Mycoses 47:491-4. 2004..furfur and M. sympodialis. Colonization of IVCs with Malassezia spp. does not appear negligible and warrants additional studies to evaluate the clinical relevance of such findings and the role of this yeast in biofilm formation...
- Differentiation between isolates of Aspergillus fumigatus from breeding turkeys and their environment by genotyping with microsatellite markersSybille Lair-Fulleringer
UMR INRA AFSSA ENVA UPVM Biologie Moléculaire et Immunologie Parasitaires et Fongiques, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
J Clin Microbiol 41:1798-800. 2003..Air sampling confirmed the huge diversity of A. fumigatus populations. Whereas older animals harbored several combinations of genotypes, 1-day-old chicks carried a unique genotype, suggesting a unique source of contamination...