- Prognosis of inv(16)/t(16;16) acute myeloid leukemia (AML): a survey of 110 cases from the French AML IntergroupJacques Delaunay
Departement of Hematology, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 102:462-9. 2003..These results markedly contrast with those reported in patients with t(8;21) AML in whom WBC, and not age, was the main high-risk factor for relapse, DFS, and survival...
- Supportive care including growth factors in myelodysplastic syndromesClaude Gardin
Service d Hématologe Clinique, Hôpital Avicenne and Université Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Rev Clin Exp Hematol 8:E3. 2004..Although trials of growth factors with thrombopoeitic activity have been performed with interleukin 11 and are underway with thrombopoeitin, none of them are available for routine use...
- Response assessments in low-risk and high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS)Pierre Fenaux
Hôpital Avicenne Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Semin Oncol 32:S11-5. 2005..Furthermore, the International Working Group response criteria provide an important framework for clinical development of new treatments options that may be particularly appropriate for specific MDS subsets...
- Treatment of the 5q- syndromePierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris XIII, 125 rue de Stalingrad, 93009 Bobigny, France
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program . 2006..By doing this, lenalidomide may have an effect on disease course and survival, which is currently being assessed in clinical trials...
- Treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia by retinoidsP Fenaux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Paris 13 University, 93000 Bobigny, France
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 313:101-28. 2007....
- Inhibitors of DNA methylation: beyond myelodysplastic syndromesPierre Fenaux
Hematology Department at Hôpital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 2:S36-44. 2005..To this end, experience with DNMT inhibitors in hematologic malignancies other than MDS is reviewed in an effort to better understand the therapeutic potential of these agents and to define areas of future exploration in these settings...
- Prolonged survival with improved tolerability in higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: azacitidine compared with low dose ara-CPierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris and Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Br J Haematol 149:244-9. 2010..When analyzed per patient year of drug exposure, azacitidine treatment was associated with fewer grade 3-4 cytopenias and shorter hospitalisation time than LDara-C in these higher-risk MDS patients...
- Azacitidine in untreated acute myeloid leukemia: a report on 149 patientsSylvain Thepot
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, and Université Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Am J Hematol 89:410-6. 2014..Outcomes observed in this high-risk AML population treated with AZA deserve comparison with those of patients treated intensively in prospective studies...
- Treatment with lenalidomide does not appear to increase the risk of progression in lower risk myelodysplastic syndromes with 5q deletion. A comparative analysis by the Groupe Francophone des MyelodysplasiesLionel Ades
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris 13 University, France
Haematologica 97:213-8. 2012....
- Daily practice management of myelodysplastic syndromes in France: data from 907 patients in a one-week cross-sectional study by the Groupe Francophone des MyelodysplasiesCharikleia Kelaidi
Groupe Francophone des Myélodysplasies, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
Haematologica 95:892-9. 2010..There is little published information on the everyday clinical management of myelodysplastic syndromes in real world practice...
- Long-term follow-up of European APL 2000 trial, evaluating the role of cytarabine combined with ATRA and Daunorubicin in the treatment of nonelderly APL patientsLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Am J Hematol 88:556-9. 2013..9% in the AraC group (P = 0.0065). In standard-risk APL, at least when the anthracycline used is DNR, avoiding AraC may lead to an increased risk of relapse suggesting that the need for AraC is regimen-dependent...
- Superior long-term outcome with idarubicin compared with high-dose daunorubicin in patients with acute myeloid leukemia age 50 years and olderClaude Gardin
Department of Hematology, Hopital Avicenne, AP HP, 125 route de Stalingrad, 93000 Bobigny, France
J Clin Oncol 31:321-7. 2013..This study aimed to identify factors influencing the long-term outcome in these patients...
- Azacitidine prolongs overall survival compared with conventional care regimens in elderly patients with low bone marrow blast count acute myeloid leukemiaPierre Fenaux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hospital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Universite Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
J Clin Oncol 28:562-9. 2010..Approximately one third of these patients were classified as having acute myeloid leukemia (AML) under current WHO criteria. This analysis compared the effects of azacitidine versus CCR on OS in this subgroup...
- A randomized phase 3 study of lenalidomide versus placebo in RBC transfusion-dependent patients with Low-/Intermediate-1-risk myelodysplastic syndromes with del5qPierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Blood 118:3765-76. 2011..Lenalidomide is beneficial and has an acceptable safety profile in transfusion-dependent patients with Low-/Intermediate-1-risk del5q myelodysplastic syndrome. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00179621...
- Practical use of azacitidine in higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: an expert panel opinionPierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique, Hôpitaux de Paris and Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Leuk Res 34:1410-6. 2010..This manuscript outlines recommendations discussed by a panel of experts, providing a practical guide for physicians to ensure optimal management of Int-2 and high-risk patients receiving azacitidine...
- Very long-term outcome of acute promyelocytic leukemia after treatment with all-trans retinoic acid and chemotherapy: the European APL Group experienceLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Universite Paris 13, Paris, France
Blood 115:1690-6. 2010..This study is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00599937...
- A randomized phase II trial of azacitidine +/- epoetin-β in lower-risk myelodysplastic syndromes resistant to erythropoietic stimulating agentsSylvain Thepot
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, and Université Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Haematologica 101:918-25. 2016..gov identifier: 01015352). ..
- Outcome of acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) in children and adolescents: an analysis in two consecutive trials of the European APL GroupCecile Bally
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
J Clin Oncol 30:1641-6. 2012..However, previously published childhood APL studies have generally analyzed all patients age < 18 years as a group, without further dividing according to age...
- Treatment of progression of Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms to myelodysplastic syndrome or acute myeloid leukemia by azacitidine: a report on 54 cases on the behalf of the Groupe Francophone des Myelodysplasies (GFM)Sylvain Thepot
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Blood 116:3735-42. 2010..Median overall survival was 11 months. Azacitidine gives encouraging results in Ph-negative MPN having progressed to AML or MDS, but response duration is short, and consolidation treatments have to be evaluated...
- Is cytarabine required in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia?Lionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne Université Paris, Bobigny, France
Curr Hematol Malig Rep 1:122-5. 2006..These results were not confirmed in other studies, however, raising the issue of the role of AraC in treatment of patients with newly diagnosed APL...
- Characteristics and outcome of myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) with isolated 20q deletion: a report on 62 casesThorsten Braun
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Service d Hematologie Clinique, University Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Leuk Res 35:863-7. 2011..035) confirming the favorable prognosis of del 20q without complex abnormalities...
- Lenalidomide combined with intensive chemotherapy in acute myeloid leukemia and higher risk myelodysplastic syndrome with 5q deletion. Results of a phase II study by the Groupe Francophone Des MyelodysplasiesLionel Ades
Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris and Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Haematologica . 2016..Clinical trial registry number: NCT00885508...
- Evolving characteristics and outcome of secondary acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL): A prospective analysis by the French-Belgian-Swiss APL groupThorsten Braun
Department of Hematology, Avicenne Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, University of Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Cancer 121:2393-9. 2015....
- Outcome of patients with high risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and advanced Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia (CMML) treated with decitabine after azacitidine failureStephanie Harel
Department of Hematology, Avicenne Hospital, AP HP, University Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Leuk Res 39:501-4. 2015..4%) with short response duration and poor OS. Thus, use of decitabine in such patients who failed or progressed after azacitidine cannot be recommended, underscoring the need for novel strategies in this setting. ..
- How we treat lower-risk myelodysplastic syndromesPierre Fenaux
Hôpital Avicenne Service d Hématologie Clinique and Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Blood 121:4280-6. 2013....
- Optimizing hypomethylating agents in myelodysplastic syndromesRaphael Itzykson
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny and Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Curr Opin Hematol 19:65-70. 2012....
- Molecular predictors of response to decitabine in advanced chronic myelomonocytic leukemia: a phase 2 trialThorsten Braun
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Hématologie Clinique, University Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Blood 118:3824-31. 2011..This trial is registered at EudraCT (eudract.ema.europa.eu) as #2008-000470-21 and www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT01098084...
- Treatment of advanced myelodysplastic syndrome with demethylating agents: azacitidineLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Service d Hematologie Clinique, Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Semin Hematol 49:323-9. 2012....
- Treatment of newly diagnosed acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL): a comparison of French-Belgian-Swiss and PETHEMA resultsLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris 13, Paris, France
Blood 111:1078-84. 2008..6% P = .018) and 3-year survival (91.5% vs 80.8%, P = .026) were significantly higher in APL 2000 trial, and there was a trend for lower 3-year CIR (9.9% vs 18.5%, P = .12), suggesting a beneficial role for AraC in those patients...
- Immunomodulating drugs in myelodysplastic syndromesLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2011:556-60. 2011..Thalidomide also has some activity in lower-risk MDS without del5q, but its side effects limit its practical use in these patients...
- Treatment of myelodysplastic syndromes with excess of blasts by bevacizumab is well tolerated and is associated with a decrease of VEGF plasma levelLaurence Legros
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital de l Archet, Nice, France
Ann Hematol 91:39-46. 2012..Given its good tolerability profile, however, combination of bevacizumab with other drugs, especially hypomethylating agents, could be considered in MDS...
- Review of azacitidine trials in Intermediate-2-and High-risk myelodysplastic syndromesPierre Fenaux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Leuk Res 33:S7-11. 2009..5 vs 15.0 months; p = 0.0001). These results establish azacitidine as a reference first-line treatment in patients with Intermediate-2-and High-risk MDS who are not immediate candidates for allogeneic stem cell transplantation...
- Postremission treatment of elderly patients with acute myeloid leukemia in first complete remission after intensive induction chemotherapy: results of the multicenter randomized Acute Leukemia French Association (ALFA) 9803 trialClaude Gardin
Department of Hematology, Hopital Avicenne, University Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Blood 109:5129-35. 2007..In conclusion, more prolonged ambulatory treatment should be preferred to intensive chemotherapy as postremission therapy in elderly patients with AML reaching CR after standard intensive remission induction...
- Efficacy and safety of lenalidomide in intermediate-2 or high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes with 5q deletion: results of a phase 2 studyLionel Ades
Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris, Paris, France
Blood 113:3947-52. 2009..001). Our data support a potential role of lenalidomide in higher-risk MDS with isolated del 5q...
- Efficacy of azacitidine compared with that of conventional care regimens in the treatment of higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: a randomised, open-label, phase III studyPierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris XIII, Bobigny, France
Lancet Oncol 10:223-32. 2009..In this trial, we aimed to assess the effect of azacitidine on overall survival compared with the three commonest conventional care regimens...
- [Dysmyelopoeisis]Claude Gardin
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Hopital Avicenne, Universite Paris 13, 93009 Bobigny
Rev Prat 55:1957-61. 2005
- Outcome of treatment in adults with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia--results of the prospective multicenter LALA-94 trialHerve Dombret
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 100:2357-66. 2002..Allogeneic SCT in first CR is the current best treatment option in adults with the disease. New strategies must be tested during early phases of therapy to increase the rate of BCR-ABL(-) remissions...
- Treatment of older adults with acute promyelocytic leukaemiaPierre Fenaux
Department of Hematology, Paris XIII University, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 16:495-501. 2003....
- Health, economic, and quality-of-life effects of erythropoietin and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for the treatment of myelodysplastic syndromes: a randomized, controlled trialNicole Casadevall
Hotel Dieu, Service d Hematologie Biologique, 1 Place du Parvis Notre Dame, 75004 Paris, France
Blood 104:321-7. 2004..Similar percentages of patients from both arms showed significant clinical improvement. rHuEPO plus rHuG-CSF led to responses in 41.7% of MDS patients. This treatment was expensive. No effect on quality of life was demonstrated...
- A new variant t(6;15;17)(q25;q22;q21) in acute promyelocytic leukemia: fluorescence in situ hybridization confirmationVirginie Eclache
Laboratoire d Hematologie, Hopital Jean Verdier, Bondy, France
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 159:69-73. 2005..This case illustrates the usefulness of combined cytogenetics, FISH, and molecular biology to evidence the PML/RARalpha fusion gene in complex cases...
- The role of lenalidomide in the management of myelodysplasia with del 5qCharikleia Kelaidi
Hôpital Avicenne Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Paris, University Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Br J Haematol 140:267-78. 2008..Therefore, lenalidomide may have an effect on disease course and survival, which is currently being assessed in clinical trials...
- Pegylated interferon-alfa-2a induces complete hematologic and molecular responses with low toxicity in polycythemia veraJean Jacques Kiladjian
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Avicenne, Service d Hématologie Clinique and Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
Blood 112:3065-72. 2008..Available at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00241241...
- Neurological disorders in essential thrombocythemiaSégolène Billot
Hopital Avicenne, 93000 Bobigny, France
Haematologica 96:1866-9. 2011..In this prospective cohort, 30% of patients with essential thrombocythemia presented neurological symptoms. Aspirin was fully efficient in only 30% of cases. JAK2V617F mutation could be a risk factor for such symptoms...
- Optimal sequencing of treatments for patients with myelodysplastic syndromesRaphael Itzykson
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris University, Bobigny, France
Curr Opin Hematol 16:77-83. 2009..The heterogeneous nature of MDS, and the paucity of randomized studies make individual therapeutic decisions, still largely based on the international prognostic scoring system, difficult...
- Is cytarabine useful in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia? Results of a randomized trial from the European Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia GroupLionel Ades
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Avicenne, Service d Hematologie Clinique, Paris 13 University, Bobigny, France
J Clin Oncol 24:5703-10. 2006....
- Farnesyltransferase inhibitors and their potential role in therapy for myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukaemiaThorsten Braun
Department of Haematology, Hôpital Avicenne Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, University Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Br J Haematol 141:576-86. 2008..Ongoing studies will also determine if gene profiling analysis may help to identify patients that will respond to FTIs...
- Is cytarabine required in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia? Updated experience and review of the literatureLionel Ades
Service d Hématologie clinique at the Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Hopital Avicenne, 93009 Bobigny, France
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 4:678-82. 2006
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) and autoimmune disorders (AD): cause or consequence?Thorsten Braun
Department of Haematology, Hopital Avicenne, University Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 26:327-36. 2013..Impaired function of immune cells including cytotoxic, regulatory (Treg), helper (Th17) T cells and NK cells also appears to predict response to IST, outcome and occurrence of AD. ..
- A multicenter phase 2 study of the farnesyltransferase inhibitor tipifarnib in intermediate- to high-risk myelodysplastic syndromePierre Fenaux
Hopital Avicenne, Paris, France
Blood 109:4158-63. 2007..In this study, durable responses and acceptable side effects were observed. Tipifarnib is an active agent for the treatment of patients with intermediate- to high-risk MDS...
- Expression level and differential JAK2-V617F-binding of the adaptor protein Lnk regulates JAK2-mediated signals in myeloproliferative neoplasmsFanny Baran-Marszak
Hopital Avicenne, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Service d Hematologie Biologique, Bobigny, France
Blood 116:5961-71. 2010..Together, our results indicate that changes in Lnk expression and JAK2-V617F-binding regulate JAK2-mediated signals in MPNs...
- Long-term incidence of hematological evolution in three French prospective studies of hydroxyurea and pipobroman in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemiaJean Jacques Kiladjian
AP HP, Hopital Avicenne, Service d Hematologie Clinique, Universite Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Semin Thromb Hemost 32:417-21. 2006....
- Anthracyclines, mitoxantrone, radiotherapy, and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: risk factors for leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome after breast cancerMarie Cecile Le Deley
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Unit, Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 25:292-300. 2007..To determine the risk factors for acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) after breast cancer...
- A phase II study of intensive chemotherapy with fludarabine, cytarabine, and mitoxantrone in P glycoprotein-negative high-risk myelodysplastic syndromesThomas Prebet
Service d Hematologie, Pavillon E, CHU, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Hematol J 5:209-15. 2004..In conclusion, the present results suggest that the combination therapy of fludarabine, MXN, and high-dose AraC does not improve CR rate, survival, or disease-free survival in high-risk MDS...
- Myelodysplastic syndromes: From pathogenesis and prognosis to treatmentPierre Fenaux
Service d Hematoilogie, Clinicique Paris XIII University, Avicenne Hospital, France
Semin Hematol 41:6-12. 2004....
- Outcome of treatment in adults with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: analysis of the LALA-94 trialXavier Thomas
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 69437, Lyon Cedex 03, France
J Clin Oncol 22:4075-86. 2004..We analyzed the benefits of a risk-adapted postremission strategy in adult lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), and re-evaluated stem-cell transplantation (SCT) for high-risk ALL...
- DNA topoisomerase II in therapy-related acute promyelocytic leukemiaAnita R Mistry
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Guy s, King s, and St Thomas School of Medicine, London
N Engl J Med 352:1529-38. 2005..We studied acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) with the t(15;17) translocation that developed after treatment of breast or laryngeal cancer with chemotherapeutic agents that poison topoisomerase II...
- Long-term follow-up of autologous stem cell transplantation after intensive chemotherapy in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome or secondary acute myeloid leukemiaSophie Ducastelle
Service d Hematologie, Pavillon E, CHU, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 5, Place d Arsonval, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Haematologica 91:373-6. 2006..The eight survivors (15%), including two patients with unfavorable or intermediate karyotype, remained in first complete remission 50+ to 119+ months after transplantation and are probably cured...
- Arsenic trioxide in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes: a phase II multicenter studyNorbert Vey
Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseille, France
J Clin Oncol 24:2465-71. 2006..Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of arsenic trioxide in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS)...
- Favourable outcome in an APL patient with PLZF/RARalpha fusion gene: quantitative real-time RT-PCR confirms molecular responseBruno Cassinat
Unité de Biologie Cellulaire, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Haematologica 91:ECR58. 2006..We present herein the case of an 83-year old patient which has been successfully treated by ATRA and Daunorubicin. The described quantitative RT-PCR method allowed successful monitoring and confirmation of the molecular response...
- Diagnosis and classification of myelodysplastic syndrome: International Working Group on Morphology of myelodysplastic syndrome (IWGM-MDS) consensus proposals for the definition and enumeration of myeloblasts and ring sideroblastsGhulam J Mufti
Department of Haematology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS United Kingdom
Haematologica 93:1712-7. 2008..Recommendations should be applied in the context of the WHO classification...
- Flt3 receptor inhibition reduces constitutive NFkappaB activation in high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemiaJennifer Grosjean-Raillard
INSERM, U848, Institut Gustave Roussy, PR1, 38 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Apoptosis 13:1148-61. 2008..These results suggest that Flt3 inhibitors might exert an anti-neoplastic effect in high-risk MDS and AML through inhibition of NFkappaB...
- Erlotinib exhibits antineoplastic off-target effects in AML and MDS: a preclinical studySimone Boehrer
INSERM, U848, Villejuif, France
Blood 111:2170-80. 2008..In summary, we here provide novel evidence in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo for the potential therapeutic efficacy of erlotinib in the treatment of high-risk MDS and AML...
- Long-term follow-up of chronic autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura refractory to splenectomy: a prospective analysisEmmanuelle Bourgeois
Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU, Lille, France
Br J Haematol 120:1079-88. 2003..Six of them subsequently reached platelet counts > 100 x 10(9)/l, but one died from bleeding. Our findings confirm the overall favourable long-term prognosis of chronic ITP refractory to splenectomy...
- NF-kappaB constitutes a potential therapeutic target in high-risk myelodysplastic syndromeThorsten Braun
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixté de Recherche UMR 8125, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Blood 107:1156-65. 2006..NF-kappaB inhibition may constitute a novel therapeutic strategy if apoptosis induction of MDS stem cells is the goal...
- Prevalence, clinical profile, and prognosis of NPM mutations in AML with normal karyotypeNicolas Boissel
Service d hématologie adulte, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 106:3618-20. 2005..Complete remission rate and long-term outcome did not differ between NPM-mutated and -nonmutated patients. Prospective studies are needed to confirm the definitive place of NPM mutation detection to predict AML response to therapy...
- Outcome of patients less than 55 years of age with high-risk acute leukemia who did not have an human leukocyte antigen-identical related donor: a long-term study of 97 consecutive patientsJerome Cornillon
Service de Maladies du Sang, CHRU, Lille, France
Leuk Lymphoma 46:841-9. 2005..For patients who achieve remission and for whom UDS fails, auto-SCT may prove to be a good approach. For patients who fail to enter into remission, intensive salvage chemotherapy has a very limited effect...
- Mesenchymal cells generated from patients with myelodysplastic syndromes are devoid of chromosomal clonal markers and support short- and long-term hematopoiesis in vitroValerie Soenen-Cornu
INSERM U524, CHU Lille, France
Oncogene 24:2441-8. 2005....
- Role of multiplex FISH in identifying chromosome involvement in myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemias with complex karyotypes: a report on 28 casesEmmanuelle Barouk-Simonet
Institut de Recherches sur le Cancer de Lille, Unite Inserm 524, 1 place de Verdun, 59045 Lille, France
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 157:118-26. 2005..Complementary FISH helped us identify involvement of TP53, MLL, and RUNX1/AML1 genes in 82% of cases, confirming their probable role in leukemogenesis...
- Randomized comparison of double induction and timed-sequential induction to a "3 + 7" induction in adults with AML: long-term analysis of the Acute Leukemia French Association (ALFA) 9000 studySylvie Castaigne
Department of Onco Hematology, Centre Hospitalier de Versailles, 78150 Le Chesnay, France
Blood 104:2467-74. 2004..038 by the Gray test), while not in those receiving double induction. Event-free survival and overall survival were similar in the 3 randomization arms...
- Hydroxyurea-induced apoptosis in an EBV-immortalized lymphoblastoid cell linePauline Huyghe
INSERM U 524, Institut de Recherches sur le Cancer de Lille, 1 place de Verdun, 59045 Lille Cedex, France
Oncol Res 14:235-45. 2004..Beyond the specific interest in HU-induced apoptosis, the work reported here illustrates the utility of the EBV immortalization process to investigate the pharmacological activity of specific drugs from clinical samples...
- Primary central nervous system lymphoma in immunocompetent adults: poor results mainly associated with high treatment related toxicitiesStephane Depil
Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU Lille, 1 place de Verdun, 59037 Lille, France
Leuk Lymphoma 43:1819-22. 2002..Infections and thromboembolism were the main causes of toxicity. We concluded that the use of drugs of uncertain efficacy in these particularly fragile patients is questionable...
- A non-randomised dose-escalating phase II study of thalidomide for the treatment of patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: the Thal-SMD-2000 trial of the Groupe Français des MyélodysplasiesDidier Bouscary
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Cochin, Paris, France
Br J Haematol 131:609-18. 2005..004). Microvessel density (MVD) increased and apoptosis decreased in four of six and in all six responders studied respectively whereas MVD and apoptosis were unchanged in three non-responders...
- [ Myelodysplastic syndrome]Pierre Fenaux
Service d hématologie clinique Hôpital Avicenne université Paris XIII 93009 Bobigny
Rev Prat 52:2301-8. 2002
- Are PU.1 mutations frequent genetic events in acute myeloid leukemia (AML)?Charlotte Lamandin
Blood 100:4680-1. 2002
- M0 AML, clinical and biologic features of the disease, including AML1 gene mutations: a report of 59 cases by the Groupe Français d'Hématologie Cellulaire (GFHC) and the Groupe Français de Cytogénétique Hématologique (GFCH)Christophe Roumier
Laboratoire d Hematologie A, Laboratoire de Cytogenetique, and Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU Lille, France
Blood 101:1277-83. 2003..0001), and with a borderline significant lower incidence of complex karyotypes. In the 59 patients, FLT3 mutations were the only significant prognostic factors associated with short survival...
- Acquired trisomy 21 and distinct clonal evolution in acute megakaryoblastic leukaemia in young monozygotic twinsBatia Stark
Cancer Cytogenetic Laboratory and Centre of Paediatric Haematology Oncology, Schneider Children s Medical Centre of Israel, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Br J Haematol 118:1082-6. 2002..AML-M7 of late infancy with trisomy 21 may be included in the leukaemias of intrauterine origin, possibly a result of genotoxic insult...
- [Prognostic factors in myelodysplasia syndromes]Pierre Fenaux
Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU de Lille, 1 place de Verdun, 59037 Lille
Pathol Biol (Paris) 50:256-60. 2002..Other important prognostic factors can be derived from molecular studies. They include ras genes mutations, p53 mutations and p15 hypermethylation, but their independent prognostic value remains uncertain...
- Established practice in the treatment of patients with acute promyleocytic leukemia and the introduction of arsenic trioxide as a novel therapyHerve Dombret
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Semin Hematol 39:8-13. 2002..Several prognostic factors have been defined in patients with APL, and it is possible that novel treatments such as ATO should be differentially applied to specific prognostic groups...
- Unlike AML1, CBFbeta gene is not deregulated by point mutations in acute myeloid leukemia and in myelodysplastic syndromesHugues Leroy
Laboratoire d Hematologie A, Hopital Calmette, and Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU Lille, Unité 524 INSERM, Institut de Recherche sur le Cancer de Lille, Paris, France
Blood 99:3848-50. 2002..In the present study, we found no point mutation of the CBFbeta gene in 30 myelodysplastic syndromes and 100 AMLs, suggesting a limited role, if any, of CBFbeta point mutations in those disorders...
- A novel effect of DNA methyltransferase and histone deacetylase inhibitors: NFkappaB inhibition in malignant myeloblastsClaire Fabre
INSERM, U848, Unit Apoptosis, Cancer and Immunity, Villejuif, France
Cell Cycle 7:2139-45. 2008..Altogether, these results indicate that DNMT and HDAC inhibitors can inhibit the constitutive activation of NFkappaB in malignant myeloblasts in vitro and in vivo through a novel mechanism...
- Frequent antibody production against RARalpha in both APL mice and patientsMarie Robin
INSERM UMR S 718, Institut Universitaire d Hématologie IUH, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, Paris Cedex 10, F 75475 France
Blood 108:1972-4. 2006..Antinuclear or antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies were also detected. These data reveal for the first time that in patients with APL an immune response may be detected at diagnosis and enhanced after maintenance therapy...
- Superiority of an arsenic trioxide-based regimen over a historic control combining all-trans retinoic acid plus intensive chemotherapy in the treatment of relapsed acute promyelocytic leukemiaXavier Thomas
Haematologica 91:996-7. 2006..Arsenic trioxide provides an option for these patients...
- Predisposition to therapy-related acute leukemia with balanced chromosomal translocations does not result from a major constitutive defect in DNA double-strand break end joiningValerie Coiteux
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8126, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94 805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Leuk Res 31:353-8. 2007..These results indicate that a major constitutive defect in the NHEJ pathway is unlikely to predispose to t-AML with balanced chromosomal translocations...
- Differentiating megakaryocytes in myelodysplastic syndromes succumb to mitochondrial derangement without caspase activationThorsten Braun
INSERM, Unit 848, F 94805 Villejuif, France
Apoptosis 12:1101-8. 2007..Thus, a stereotyped pattern of mitochondrial alterations accompanies differentiation-associated MK death in MDS...
- A phase 2 study of the oral farnesyltransferase inhibitor tipifarnib in patients with refractory or relapsed acute myeloid leukemiaJean Luc Harousseau
Service d Hematologie, Hotel Dieu, Nantes, France
Blood 109:5151-6. 2007..The response rate observed in this heavily pretreated group of patients suggests the requirement to enhance the response rate either by combining tipifarnib with other active agents or determining factors that are predictive of response...
- A white blood cell index as the main prognostic factor in t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia (AML): a survey of 161 cases from the French AML IntergroupStephanie Nguyen
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 99:3517-23. 2002..5; intermediate index, 2.5-20; high index, 20 or more). In multivariate analysis, the WBC index was the only prognostic factor for DFS (P =.003), complete remission duration (P =.002), and overall survival (P =.04)...
- Predictive factors of response and survival in myelodysplastic syndrome treated with erythropoietin and G-CSF: the GFM experienceSophie Park
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris, France
Blood 111:574-82. 2008....
- Meeting report: the 11th International Conference on Differentiation Therapy and Innovative Therapeutics in OncologyLaurent Delva
INSERM U866, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Cancer Res 67:10635-7. 2007
- Synchronous FIP1L1-PDGFRA-positive chronic eosinophilic leukemia and T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma: a bilineal clonal malignancyMathieu Capovilla
Department of Pathology, Universite Paris 13, Paris, France
Eur J Haematol 80:81-6. 2008....
- BCL-2 and mutant NRAS interact physically and functionally in a mouse model of progressive myelodysplasiaNader Omidvar
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U718 and 728, Universite Paris 7 Denis Diderot, Faculte de Medicine, Institut Universitaire d Hématologie IFR105, Paris, France
Cancer Res 67:11657-67. 2007..The colocalization of BCL-2 and RAS in the bone marrow of MDS/AML patients offers targeting either oncogene as a therapeutic strategy...
- Unusual clonal evolution involving 5q in a case of myelodysplastic syndrome with deletion 5q 31 treated with lenalidomideVirginie Eclache
Haematologica 93:315-6. 2008..This unusual findings is discussed in the context of resistance to lenalidomide observed in this patient...
- Practical recommendations on the use of lenalidomide in the management of myelodysplastic syndromesAristoteles Giagounidis
St Johannes Hospital, Medizinische Klinik II, An der Abtei 7 11, 47166 Duisburg, Germany
Ann Hematol 87:345-52. 2008....
- Activation of cytotoxic T-cell receptor gammadelta T lymphocytes in response to specific stimulation in myelodysplastic syndromesJean Jacques Kiladjian
INSERM U753, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, Villejuif, 94805, France
Haematologica 93:381-9. 2008..T-cell receptor gammadelta T cells are other important components of innate immunity that have been recently implicated in the immune response against hematologic malignancies...
- Rituximab efficacy and safety in adult splenectomy candidates with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: results of a prospective multicenter phase 2 studyBertrand Godeau
Medecine Interne, Hopital Henri Mondor, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 12, Creteil, France
Blood 112:999-1004. 2008..Based on these results, rituximab was an apparently safe and effective splenectomy-avoiding option in some adults with chronic ITP. This trial is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00225875...
- Proposal for a new risk model in myelodysplastic syndrome that accounts for events not considered in the original International Prognostic Scoring SystemHagop Kantarjian
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 113:1351-61. 2008....