- Pharmacokinetics of arginine and related amino acidsLuc Cynober
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Hotel Dieu Hospital, and Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, Faculty of Pharmacy, University Paris 5 René Descartes, Paris 75006, France
J Nutr 137:1646S-1649S. 2007..To date, there have been no pharmacokinetic studies on the long-term administration of these AAs in healthy subjects despite the need to determine the safe upper limit of daily intake...
- Plasma citrulline: A marker of enterocyte mass in villous atrophy-associated small bowel diseasePascal Crenn
Department of Hepagastroenterology and Nutrion Support, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Gastroenterology 124:1210-9. 2003..Our objective was to evaluate citrulline as a marker of severity and extent of villous atrophy in patients without intestinal resection...
- Glutamine in the intensive care unitLuc Cynober
aDepartment of Clinical Chemistry, Hôpitaux Universitaires Paris Centre, AP HP bLaboratory of Nutrition Biology EA 4466, Department of Experimental, Metabolic and Clinical Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Paris Descartes University, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 17:98-104. 2014..To analyze the recent literature (2011-2013) on glutamine supplementation of parenteral and enteral nutrition in critically ill patients. Potential confounding factors that may explain conflicting results are suggested...
- Tolerance and efficacy of a new enteral formula specifically designed for elderly persons: an experimental study in the aged ratAgathe Raynaud-Simon
Geriatrics Department, Bichat University Hospital, Paris Cedex 18, France
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63:669-77. 2008..Threonine and isoleucine content in the soleus and gastrocnemius were higher in ESF-fed rats than SI-fed ones. ESF improved intestinal transit. Thus, in old rats, the ESF favored nutritional status more than a standard formula...
- The 2009 ESPEN Sir David Cuthbertson. Citrulline: a new major signaling molecule or just another player in the pharmaconutrition game?Luc Cynober
Laboratory of Biological Nutrition, EA 2498, Universite Paris Descartes, France
Clin Nutr 29:545-51. 2010..CIT could also be a safe way to deliver ARG to endothelial and immune cells, and can certainly prevent excessive uncontrolled nitric oxide production...
- Plasma citrulline is a biomarker of enterocyte mass and an indicator of parenteral nutrition in HIV-infected patientsPascal Crenn
Departement de Medecine, Hopital Raymond Poincare, AP HP, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Garches, France
Am J Clin Nutr 90:587-94. 2009..Plasma citrulline is a biomarker of enterocyte mass and function in humans...
- Fat mass protects hospitalized elderly persons against morbidity and mortalityOlivier Bouillanne
Hôpital Emile Roux, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Limeil Brevannes, France
Am J Clin Nutr 90:505-10. 2009..However, these studies did not perform direct, separate, and reliable measurements of fat and lean mass by using a reference technique...
- Effect of intestinal resections on arginine metabolism: practical implications for nutrition supportPascal Crenn
Laboratoire de Biologie de Nutrition, EA 2498, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Pharmacie, Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13:65-9. 2010..The present review relates recent developments in the understanding of arginine and citrulline metabolism and complementation after intestinal resection...
- Evidence that albumin is not a suitable marker of body composition-related nutritional status in elderly patientsOlivier Bouillanne
Service de Gérontologie 2, Hôpital Emile Roux, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Limeil Brevannes, France
Nutrition 27:165-9. 2011..Our objective was to clarify whether serum albumin in geriatric patients is a marker of body composition-related nutritional status, risk of morbidity/mortality, neither, or both...
- Citrulline as a biomarker of intestinal failure due to enterocyte mass reductionPascal Crenn
Departement de Medecine, Hopital Raymond Poincare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Garches, France
Clin Nutr 27:328-39. 2008..For this reason plasma or serum citrulline concentration has been proposed as a biomarker of remnant small bowel mass and function. This article reviews this concept and its metabolic basis...
- Midregional pro-atrial natriuretic peptide for the diagnosis of cardiac-related dyspnea according to renal function in the emergency department: a comparison with B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) and N-terminal proBNPCamille Chenevier-Gobeaux
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Hôpital Cochin Hôtel Dieu, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Clin Chem 56:1708-17. 2010..We evaluated the impact of renal function on MR-proANP concentrations and compared our results to those of BNP and NT-proBNP...
- Proposals for Upper Limits of Safe Intake for Arginine and Tryptophan in Young Adults and an Upper Limit of Safe Intake for Leucine in the ElderlyLuc Cynober
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Cochin Hospital, AP HP, Paris, France
J Nutr 146:2652S-2654S. 2016....
- Arginine-supplemented enteral nutrition in critically ill diabetic and obese rats: a dose-ranging study evaluating nutritional status and macrophage functionSandra Bonhomme
Laboratory of Biological Nutrition, EA 4466, Faculty of Pharmacy, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France
Nutrition 29:305-12. 2013..However, studies have raised concerns about possible adverse effects of such diets in intensive-care patients. We therefore analyzed the metabolic and immunologic effects of an arginine-enriched diet in stressed diabetic-obese rats...
- L-arginine plus atorvastatin for prevention of atheroma formation in genetically hypercholesterolaemic rabbitsCarole Rasmusen
Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, Faculty of Pharmacy, Paris Descartes University, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Br J Nutr 97:1083-9. 2007..This is a relatively novel therapeutic approach associating a macronutrient and a drug...
- Leucine and citrulline: two major regulators of protein turnoverLuc Cynober
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Cochin and Hôtel Dieu Hospitals, AP HP, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France
World Rev Nutr Diet 105:97-105. 2013..Therefore, beyond a strong rationale, large clinical studies are required before any reliable recommendations can be issued on the use of leucine- or citrulline-enriched diets in ICU patients...
- Impact of qualitative and quantitative variations in nitrogen supply on catch-up growth in food-deprived-refed young ratsMurielle Bortolotti
EA4466 PRETRAM, Faculty of Pharmacy, Paris Descartes University, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Clin Nutr 35:669-78. 2016..While some data suggest better assimilation of peptides rather than whole proteins the evidence are scarce...
- In vivo induction of insulin secretion by ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate: involvement of nitric oxide and glutamineChristina Schneid
INSERM U 341, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Paris and the Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, Paris 5 University EA 2498, Paris, France
Metabolism 52:344-50. 2003..Thus OKG acts directly with glucose on islets to induce insulin secretion via mechanisms involving NO and glutamine synthesis. In addition, our results suggest that OKG and glucose act via separate pathways...
- A proposal for an upper limit of leucine safe intake in healthy adultsLuc Cynober
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Cochin and Hôtel Dieu Hospitals, AP HP, Paris, France
J Nutr 142:2249S-2250S. 2012....
- Introduction to the 5th Amino Acid Assessment WorkshopLuc Cynober
Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, Hôtel Dieu Hospital AP HP and Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, Pharmacy Faculty, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France
J Nutr 136:1633S-1635S. 2006..The fourth AAAW focused on branched-chain AAs. The articles in this supplement issue of the journal summarize the fifth workshop in the series, which focused on sulfur amino acids...
- Arginine-enriched diet limits plasma and muscle glutamine depletion in head-injured ratsChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
Nutrition 22:1039-44. 2006..This study investigated the ability of an enteral formula enriched with ARG to restore the GLN pools in an experimental model of head injury...
- Taurine status and response to intravenous taurine supplementation in adults with short-bowel syndrome undergoing long-term parenteral nutrition: a pilot studyStephane M Schneider
AP HP Saint Lazare Hospital, Gastroenterology and Nutrition Support Unit, Paris, France
Br J Nutr 96:365-70. 2006....
- Does the ornithine-alpha-ketoglutarate ratio influence ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate metabolism in healthy rats?Cécile Loï
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Metabolism 56:105-14. 2007....
- Arginine does not exacerbate markers of inflammation in cocultures of human enterocytes and leukocytesAlexandr Parlesak
Department of Physiology of Nutrition, Hohenheim University, D 70593 Stuttgart, Germany
J Nutr 137:106-11. 2007..Because it also does not seem to affect the integrity of enterocyte layers, a detrimental role of arginine during septic-like conditions seems unlikely...
- Citrulline and the gutEmmanuel Curis
Laboratoire de Biomathématiques, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10:620-6. 2007..This review discusses these two aspects of citrulline, as well as the recent developments in the understanding of its metabolism...
- Impairment of arginine metabolism in rats after massive intestinal resection: effect of parenteral nutrition supplemented with citrulline compared with arginineSylwia Osowska
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA 2498, Faculté de Pharmacie Université Paris Descartes, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Clin Sci (Lond) 115:159-66. 2008..These results suggest that citrulline should be considered as a potential supplement for total parenteral nutrition of short bowel syndrome patients...
- Impairment of lymphocyte function in head-injured rats: effects of standard and immune-enhancing diets for enteral nutritionLinda Belabed
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA2498, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Clin Nutr 25:832-41. 2006..The aim of the study was to investigate the consequences of HI on lymphocyte function and to determine the effects of an enteral IED comparatively to a standard enteral nutrition...
- The feeding route (enteral or parenteral) affects the plasma response of the dipetide Ala-Gln and the amino acids glutamine, citrulline and arginine, with the administration of Ala-Gln in preoperative patientsGerdien C Melis
Department of Surgery, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 94:19-26. 2005..Interestingly, in spite of the high availability of citrulline with enteral administration of the dipeptide, only parenteral infusion of Ala-Gln increased plasma arginine concentration...
- Dose dependency of the effect of ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate on tissue glutamine concentrations and hypercatabolic response in endotoxaemic ratsPascal Pernet
Service de Biochimie A, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Br J Nutr 92:627-34. 2004..05). In conclusion, OKG exerted a dose-dependent effect on tissue Gln concentration and N balance, but only the highest dosage counteracted myofibrillar hypercatabolism and caused a positive N balance...
- Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate metabolism in the healthy rat in the postabsorptive stateCécile Loï
Faculte de Pharmacie, Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA 2498, Paris Descartes University, 75270 Paris Cedex 6, France
Metabolism 54:1108-14. 2005....
- Geriatric Nutritional Risk Index: a new index for evaluating at-risk elderly medical patientsOlivier Bouillanne
Services de Gérontologie 2 and Biologie de la Nutrition EA2498, Universite Paris 5, Paris, France
Am J Clin Nutr 82:777-83. 2005..However, this index remains limited for elderly patients because of difficulties in establishing their normal weight...
- Isolated perfused liver model: the rat and guinea pig comparedSamira Chaib
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Laboratoire de Biochimie A, Hôpital Hotel Dieu AP HP, Paris, France
Nutrition 20:458-64. 2004..We compared the model of isolated perfused guinea pig liver with the classic model of isolated perfused rat liver, especially with respect to amino acid metabolism...
- General Discussion at the 3rd Amino Acid Assessment Workshop (3rd AAAW)Luc Cynober
Nutrition Department, Pharmacy School, Paris 5 University and Biochem Lab, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Paris, France and Laboratory of Human Nutrition, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA 02139
J Nutr 134:1667S-72S. 2004
- Pre- and postoperative aminoacidemia in breast cancer: a study vs. matched healthy subjectsRégine Minet-Quinard
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Biologie Moléculaire et Nutrition, Faculte de Pharmacie, Clermont Ferrand, France
Cancer Invest 22:203-10. 2004..Among the various patterns reported for breast cancer, we confirm one of those described by Cascino in 1995, and we show that these levels revert to normal after tumor surgical removal...
- Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate supplementation influences motor activity in healthy ratsChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, 4, avenue de l Observatoire, Paris, Cedex 06 75270, France
Clin Nutr 23:485-90. 2004..Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate (OKG) improves nutritional status in malnourished patients. Published and unpublished data suggest OKG may have effects on the central nervous system that may contribute to its action...
- C-reactive protein and body mass index predict outcome in end-stage respiratory failureNoël J M Cano
Departement de Nutrition, Clinique Residence du Parc, Rue Gaston Berger, 13010 Marseille, France
Chest 126:540-6. 2004..To determine the predictive factors of morbidity and mortality in patients with end-stage respiratory disease...
- Asymmetrical dimethylarginine and multiple organ failureLuc Cynober
Clin Nutr 22:505; author reply 505-6. 2003
- Lessons from pharmacokinetics in the design of new nutrition formulas for critically ill patientsLuc Cynober
Biochemistry Laboratory, Hotel Dieu Hospital, AP HP, Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, Pharmacy School, Paris 5 University, Paris, France
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 8:265-72; discussion 272-7. 2003
- General discussion at 2nd Amino Acid Assessment Workshop (2nd AAAW)Luc Cynober
Nutrition Department, Pharmacy School, Paris 5 University and Biochem Lab, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Paris, France
J Nutr 133:2101S-2107S. 2003
- Immune-enhancing diets for stressed patients with a special emphasis on arginine content: analysis of the analysisLuc Cynober
Biochemistry Laboratory, Hôtel Dieu Hospital AP HO, and Nutrition Laboratory, University Paris 5, Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 6:189-93. 2003..An American consensus and a meta-analysis provide divergent conclusions. The main goal of the present review is to analyze these documents...
- Effects of ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate on insulin secretion in rat pancreatic islets: implication of nitric oxide synthase and glutamine synthetase pathwaysChristina Schneid
INSERM U 341, Service de Diabetologie, Hopital Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
Br J Nutr 89:249-57. 2003..A better understanding of OKG insulino-secretory properties and its mechanisms of action are a prerequisite for its use in insulin-compromised situations...
- Evidence that glutamine modulates respiratory burst in stressed rat polymorphonuclear cells through its metabolism into arginineChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Biologie Moléculaire et Nutrition EA 2416 and Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, Faculte de Pharmacie, Clermont Ferrand, France
Br J Nutr 88:689-95. 2002..In vivo inhibition of GLN synthase did not modify the effect of ARG on ROS production. In conclusion, GLN and ARG modulate ROS production in neutrophils from stressed rats by the same pathway involving polyamine and NO* synthesis...
- Qualitative manipulation of amino acid supply during total parenteral nutrition in surgical patientsMarie Pierre Bérard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, Universite de Paris V, France
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:136-43. 2002..An appropriate mixture would limit plasma amino acid imbalances and improve nitrogen retention. This therapy must now be tested in a larger population of patients...
- Effects of ornithine 2-oxoglutarate on neutrophils in stressed rats: evidence for the involvement of nitric oxide and polyaminesChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Biologie Moléculaire et Nutrition EA 2416 and Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, Faculte de Pharmacie, 63001 Clermont Ferrand, France
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:287-95. 2002..These data suggest that OKG (or its metabolites) and arginine are channelled differently in PMNs. This hypothesis deserves further study...
- We must improve our understanding of the basic mechanisms of the different phases of sepsisLuc Cynober
Clin Nutr 27:311-2. 2008
- Arginine and glutamine availability and macrophage functions in the obese insulin-resistant Zucker ratMarie Céline Blanc
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, Faculte des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques, Universite Paris 5 Rene Descartes, Paris, France
J Cell Physiol 202:153-9. 2005....
- Evaluation of a glycine-rich amino acid solution for parenteral nutrition in endotoxemic ratsCécile Loï
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, Faculte de Pharmacie, Paris 5, France
Crit Care Med 33:2344-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the nutritional effects of a glycine-rich amino acid solution for parenteral nutrition (AFD) with a standard one (Vintene) (glycine, 15 vs. 9 g/L) in endotoxemic rats...
- Does dietary ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate supplementation protect the liver against ischemia-reperfusion injury?Heidi Schuster
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris 5, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Clin Nutr 24:375-84. 2005..This action can tentatively be attributed to the role of OKG as a glutamine precursor rather than to the synthesis of arginine and nitric oxide...
- Polyamines: metabolism and implications in human diseasesChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, 4, avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Clin Nutr 24:184-97. 2005..This paper summarises the knowledge about polyamines metabolism and point out the importance of these molecules as a target for the development of therapeutic tools and nutritional strategy...
- Characterization of the alteration of nutritional state in brain injury induced by fluid percussion in ratsChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Intensive Care Med 31:281-8. 2005..This study characterized the hypercatabolism level and nutritional status of TBI rats...
- Protective effects of regulatory amino acids on ischemia-reperfusion injury in the isolated perfused rat liverHeidi Schuster
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris 5, Paris, France
Scand J Gastroenterol 41:1342-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the protective effect of these AAs on warm ischaemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury in the isolated perfused rat liver...
- Aortic banding in rat as a model to investigate malnutrition associated with heart failureCécile Héliès-Toussaint
INRA UR 1154 LMFC, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5, rue J B Clement, F 92290 Châtenay Malabry France
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R1325-31. 2005..These rats with heart failure displayed a multiorgan failure and malnutrition, which reflected the clinical situation of human chronic heart failure...
- About immune-enhancing diets in critically ill patientsLuc Cynober
Crit Care Med 35:329-30; author reply 330. 2007
- Sex-differential expression of ornithine aminotransferase in the mouse kidneyOlivier Levillain
Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, Faculté de Médecine Lyon RTH Laënnec, Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Métabolique et Rénale, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 499, Lyon, France
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F1016-27. 2007..Expression of medium-chain acyl-CoA synthetase protein confirmed this finding. We report sexual dimorphism of Oat expression in the mouse kidney and show that Oat is naturally downregulated in the presence of testosterone...
- Pretreatment of starved rats with ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate: effects on hepatic mRNA levels and plasma concentrations of three liver-secreted proteinsFrédéric Segaud
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Paris, France
Nutrition 21:732-9. 2005..This study investigated in vivo the ability of OKG to modulate hepatic gene expression of three liver-secreted proteins: albumin, transthyretin, and retinol binding protein...
- Effect of an immune-enhancing diet on lymphocyte in head-injured rats: what is the role of arginine?Djamel Hamani
Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Pharmacie, Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA2498, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270, Paris Cedex 06, France
Intensive Care Med 33:1076-84. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the role of arginine in the immunomodulatory effects of an IED (Crucial) in head-injured rats...
- Citrulline: a new player in the control of nitrogen homeostasisChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition, EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, and Laboratoire Biochimie, Hotel Dieu, AP HP, Paris 75004, France
J Nutr 137:1621S-1625S. 2007....
- Effect of aging on liver functions-an experimental study in a perfused rat liver modelMarion Jourdan
Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, 4 avenue de l Observatoire 75270 Paris cedex 06, France
Exp Gerontol 39:1341-6. 2004..Bile flow was also recorded. As ICG is removed exclusively by the liver without bioconversion, its clearance reflects hepatic functional mass...
- Effects of ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate on protein metabolism in Yoshida sarcoma-bearing ratsFrédéric Segaud
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris, Cedex 06, France
Clin Nutr 26:624-30. 2007....
- Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate as a potent precursor of arginine and nitric oxide: a new job for an old friendLuc Cynober
Biochemistry Laboratory, Hôtel Dieu Hospital AP HP and Laboratory of Biological Nutrition EA 2498, School of Pharmacy, Paris 5 University
J Nutr 134:2858S-2862S; discussion 2895S. 2004..The use of genetically modified animals (i.e., knockout for NOS expression) is required to confirm this hypothesis...
- Evidence for impairment of hepatic energy homeostasis in head-injured ratChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Nutrition EA 2498, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
J Neurotrauma 25:124-9. 2008..These findings demonstrate that TBI is responsible for an impairment of liver energy homeostasis. Moreover, these alterations are related neither to anorexia nor to decreased mitochondrial oxidative capacity...