Affiliation: CHRU de Lille
- Frontline treatment in elderly patients with multiple myelomaThierry Facon
Service des Maladies du Sang, Centre hospitalier universitaire CHU, Lille, France
Semin Hematol 46:133-42. 2009..These new and emerging therapies provide multiple effective treatment options for MM patients and greatly enhanced treatment strategies for clinicians, all offering promise that has been sorely lacking over the past four decades...
- Safety and efficacy of bortezomib in high-risk and elderly patients with relapsed multiple myelomaPaul G Richardson
Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Br J Haematol 137:429-35. 2007..Bortezomib should be considered an appropriate treatment for elderly and high-risk patients with relapsed multiple myeloma...
- Frontline treatment in multiple myeloma patients not eligible for stem-cell transplantationThierry Facon
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Claude Huriez, CHU, Rue Michel Polonovski, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 20:737-46. 2007..Additionally, the important issue of maintenance treatment needs to be further investigated, especially in elderly patients...
- Dexamethasone-based regimens versus melphalan-prednisone for elderly multiple myeloma patients ineligible for high-dose therapyThierry Facon
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Huriez, CHU de Lille, Rue Michel Polonovski, 59037 Lille, France
Blood 107:1292-8. 2006..These results might be useful in the context of future combinations with innovative drugs...
- Melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide versus melphalan and prednisone alone or reduced-intensity autologous stem cell transplantation in elderly patients with multiple myeloma (IFM 99-06): a randomised trialThierry Facon
Service d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Lille, France
Lancet 370:1209-18. 2007..We assessed whether the addition of thalidomide to this combination, or reduced-intensity stem cell transplantation, would improve survival...
- Chromosome 13 abnormalities identified by FISH analysis and serum beta2-microglobulin produce a powerful myeloma staging system for patients receiving high-dose therapyT Facon
Service d Hématologie and Laboratoire de Génétique Médicale, Lille, France
Blood 97:1566-71. 2001..5 mg/L or higher. Routine FISH Delta13 assessment is strongly recommended for patients considered for HDT...
- 14q32 translocations and monosomy 13 observed in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance delineate a multistep process for the oncogenesis of multiple myeloma. Intergroupe Francophone du MyélomeH Avet-Loiseau
Laboratoire d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes, France
Cancer Res 59:4546-50. 1999..These data enable us to elaborate a plasma cell oncogenesis model from MGUS to MM...
- Efficacy of melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide in patients older than 75 years with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: IFM 01/01 trialCyrille Hulin
Service d Hematologie, rue du Morvan, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nancy Brabois, 54511 Vandoeuvre, France
J Clin Oncol 27:3664-70. 2009..This randomized, placebo-controlled, phase III trial investigated the efficacy of melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide in patients older than 75 years with newly diagnosed myeloma...
- Maintenance therapy with thalidomide improves survival in patients with multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Purpan, Place du Dr Baylac, 31059 Toulouse, France
Blood 108:3289-94. 2006..4). Thalidomide is an effective maintenance therapy in patients with multiple myeloma. Maintenance treatment with pamidronate does not decrease the incidence of bone events...
- Advances in the treatment of elderly patients with multiple myelomaThierry Facon
University of Lille, Lille, France
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 4:501-2. 2006
- Thalidomide in patients with advanced multiple myeloma: a study of 83 patients--report of the Intergroupe Francophone du Myélome (IFM)Ibrahim Yakoub-Agha
Service des Maladies du Sang, and the laboratoire de biostatistique CERIM, CHRU, Lille, France
Hematol J 3:185-92. 2002..To evaluate treatment by thalidomide and identify predictive factors of survival, event free survival and response among patients with advanced multiple myeloma treated with thalidomide as single agent therapy...
- [Prognostic factors and new treatments of multiple myeloma]Xavier Leleu
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Claude Huriez, CHRU, Lille
Rev Prat 56:31-9. 2006..Above all, therapeutic progress has been made thanks to thalidomide, bortezomib and lenalidomide, even if the optimal utilisation of these molecules is still to be determined...
- p16(INK4a) and p15(INK4b) gene methylations in plasma cells from monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceG Guillerm
, Institut de Recherche sur le Cancer de Lille (IRCL, and the Service des Maladies du Sang, Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire (CHU) Lille, Lille, France
Blood 98:244-6. 2001..p15(INK4b) and p16(INK4a) gene methylation might contribute to immortalization of plasma cells rather than malignant transformation in the natural history of MM...
- Stem cell factor in combination with filgrastim after chemotherapy improves peripheral blood progenitor cell yield and reduces apheresis requirements in multiple myeloma patients: a randomized, controlled trialT Facon
Department of Hematology, Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Claude Huriez, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Blood 94:1218-25. 1999....
- Monosomy 13 is associated with the transition of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance to multiple myeloma. Intergroupe Francophone du MyélomeH Avet-Loiseau
Laboratory of Hematology, the Clinical Hematology Department, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes, France
Blood 94:2583-9. 1999..Serial analyses of individuals with MGUS will be needed to validate this model...
- Thirteen cases of jaw osteonecrosis in patients on bisphosphonate therapyMarie Hélène Vieillard
Rheumatology Department, Lille Teaching Hospital, Hospital Roger Salengro, CHRU de Lille, Rue Emile Laine, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 75:34-40. 2008..We report on our experience with 13 cases of jaw osteonecrosis in patients treated with amino-bisphosphonates...
- Bortezomib plus dexamethasone induction improves outcome of patients with t(4;14) myeloma but not outcome of patients with del(17p)Herve Avet-Loiseau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes, France
J Clin Oncol 28:4630-4. 2010..Patients presenting with either t(4;14) or del(17p) are known to have a short event-free survival (EFS) and overall survival (OS). Some preliminary data suggest that bortezomib is able to overcome these prognostic parameters...
- Imatinib plus peginterferon alfa-2a in chronic myeloid leukemiaClaude Preudhomme
Laboratoire d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Lille, and INSERM Unité 837, Lille, France
N Engl J Med 363:2511-21. 2010..However, only a minority of patients treated with imatinib have a complete molecular remission...
- [Thalidomide: mechanisms of action and new insights in hematology]X Leleu
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Claude Huriez, CHRU, Lille, France
Rev Med Interne 26:119-27. 2005..The IMiDs, which mechanism is based on stimulation of T lymphopoiesis rather than inhibition of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, are under clinical trials in multiple myeloma with interesting results...
- Plasma cell growth fraction using Ki-67 antigen expression identifies a subgroup of multiple myeloma patients displaying short survival within the ISS stage IThomas Gastinne
Service d Hematologie Clinique, CHU, Nantes, France
Eur J Haematol 79:297-304. 2007..In this series, we demonstrated that a proliferation marker provides clear-cut additional survival prognostic information to b2m into the ISS model...
- Long-term outcome in acquired aplastic anemia treated with an intensified dose schedule of horse antilymphocyte globulin in combination with androgensXavier Leleu
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Huriez, CHU Lille, France
Ann Hematol 85:711-6. 2006....
- Estimating direct costs of care for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma in french hospitalsX Armoiry
Groupement Hospitalier Est, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Bron, France Cemka Eval, Bourg la Reine, France Pôle de cancérologie Henry S Kaplan, Tours, France Hôpital Claude Huriez, Lille, France Hôpital Saint Louis, Paris, France Hôpital Brabois, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France Hôtel Dieu, CHU de Nantes, Nantes, France
J Clin Oncol 26:8596. 2008..This study aimed to describe the pattern of usual care of relapsed or refractory MM (RRMM) in specialized haematological units during this period and to evaluate the fraction of total treatment cost attributable to those drugs...
- Phase I trial of elotuzumab, lenalidomide, and low-dose dexamethasone in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myelomaS Lonial
Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium, Norwalk, CT Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, Atlanta, GA Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium, Norwalk, CT Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO Hôpital Claude Huriez, Lille, France University Hospital, Nantes, France Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Claude Huriez, Lille, France New York University Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, NY Emory University, Atlanta, GA Abbott Biotherapeutics, Redwood City, CA Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium, Norwalk, CT The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
J Clin Oncol 29:8076. 2011..In preclinical studies lenalidomide enhanced the antitumor activity of elotuzumab...
- [Multiple myeloma of the bone]Thierry Facon
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Huriez, CHRU, 59037 Lille
Rev Prat 52:63-70. 2002
- Total soluble HLA class I and soluble HLA-G in multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceXavier Leleu
Service d Hematologie, Lille, France
Clin Cancer Res 11:7297-303. 2005..0001). HLA-Is is a new marker of multiple myeloma tumor load and provides additional survival prognostic information to beta2-microglobulin...
- Irregular nuclear shape of bone marrow plasma cells defines a multiple myeloma subgroup related to hypodiploidy and to short survivalXavier Leleu
Service des Maladies du Sang, CHU Lille, France
Leuk Res 29:665-71. 2005..0001), but not with deletion of chromosome 13. This study emphasises the relationship between PCIN, an easy-to-ascertain marker of intrinsic malignancy of the tumour process, and adverse prognosis...
- Hyperdiploidy is a common finding in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and monosomy 13 is restricted to these hyperdiploid patientsMaud Brousseau
Service des Maladies du Sang, Hopital Huriez
Clin Cancer Res 13:6026-31. 2007..Implication of monosomy 13 (Delta13) is unclear in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS), and data on DNA content of plasma cells [DNA index (DI)] are rare...
- Long-term outcomes after reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation for low-grade lymphoma: a survey by the French Society of Bone Marrow Graft Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (SFGM-TC)Stephane Vigouroux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Haematologica 92:627-34. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the outcome of patients with LGL treated with RIC allogeneic SCT...
- Extended follow-up of a phase 3 trial in relapsed multiple myeloma: final time-to-event results of the APEX trialPaul G Richardson
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 110:3557-60. 2007..These data confirm the activity of bortezomib and support extended treatment in relapsed multiple myeloma patients tolerating therapy...
- Thalidomide for treatment of multiple myeloma: 10 years laterAntonio Palumbo
Division of Hematology, University of Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
Blood 111:3968-77. 2008..Future studies will define the most effective or the best sequence of combinations which could improve life expectancy...
- Recent phase III trials in the frontline treatment of multiple myeloma: evaluating their impact on community practiceJesus SanMiguel
Hemaology Department, University of Salamanca, Salmanca, Spain
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 6:s4-s10. 2008
- [Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphophonates in oncology]Thierry Facon
Departement de Radiotherapie, Centre Antoine Lacassagne, Nice
Bull Cancer 95:413-8. 2008..Studies are currently underway in an attempt to answer this issue...
- Single versus double autologous stem-cell transplantation for multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Department of Hematology and Biostatistics, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
N Engl J Med 349:2495-502. 2003..We conducted a randomized trial of the treatment of multiple myeloma with high-dose chemotherapy followed by either one or two successive autologous stem-cell transplantations...
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for relapsed or refractory multiple myelomaMeletios Dimopoulos
University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
N Engl J Med 357:2123-32. 2007..This phase 3, placebo-controlled trial investigated the efficacy of lenalidomide plus dexamethasone in the treatment of relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma...
- Genetic abnormalities and survival in multiple myeloma: the experience of the Intergroupe Francophone du MyélomeHerve Avet-Loiseau
INSERM Unité 601, Laboratoire d Hematologie, Institut de Biologie, 9 quai Moncousu, 44093 Nantes, France
Blood 109:3489-95. 2007..In myeloma, the genomic aberrations t(4;14) and del(17p), together with beta2-microglobulin level, are important independent predictors of survival. These findings have implications for the design of risk-adapted treatment strategies...
- A phase I study of AMGN-0007, a recombinant osteoprotegerin construct, in patients with multiple myeloma or breast carcinoma related bone metastasesJean Jacques Body
Unit of Endocrinology, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
Cancer 97:887-92. 2003..In binding to RANKL, OPG blocks differentiation and activation of osteoclasts. AMGN-0007 is a recombinant OPG construct developed as a potential therapeutic agent in the treatment of bone disease...
- Recurrent 14q32 translocations determine the prognosis of multiple myeloma, especially in patients receiving intensive chemotherapyPhilippe Moreau
Clinical Hematology Department and the Hematology Laboratory, University Hospital, Nantes, France
Blood 100:1579-83. 2002..These data emphasized the interest in analyzing these two translocations by fluorescence in situ hybridization in prospective therapeutic trials in order to consider these translocations as distinct entities...
- Effects of long-term intravenous ibandronate therapy on skeletal-related events, survival, and bone resorption markers in patients with advanced multiple myelomaHans D Menssen
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Benjamin Franklin Klinik der Freien Universität, and St Hedwigs Krankenhaus, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Oncol 20:2353-9. 2002..This is the first double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study to assess the efficacy of ibandronate, a third-generation amino-bisphosphonate, in preventing SREs in advanced-stage multiple myeloma patients...
- A study of the biological receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB ligand inhibitor, denosumab, in patients with multiple myeloma or bone metastases from breast cancerJean Jacques Body
Department of Medicine, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Cancer Res 12:1221-8. 2006..Denosumab (AMG 162), a fully human monoclonal antibody to RANKL, was developed to treat patients with skeletal diseases...
- Comparison of 200 mg/m(2) melphalan and 8 Gy total body irradiation plus 140 mg/m(2) melphalan as conditioning regimens for peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: final analysis of the Intergroupe FraPhilippe Moreau
Service d Hematologie, University Hospital Hotel Dieu, Place Alexis Recordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Blood 99:731-5. 2002..This regimen should be considered as the standard of care before autologous stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma...
- Bortezomib or high-dose dexamethasone for relapsed multiple myelomaPaul G Richardson
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 352:2487-98. 2005..This study compared bortezomib with high-dose dexamethasone in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma who had received one to three previous therapies...
- Serum immunoglobulin free light chain correlates with tumor burden markers in Waldenstrom macroglobulinemiaXavier Leleu
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School Boston, MA 02115, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 49:1104-7. 2008..This study demonstrates that sFLC is a new marker in WM disease. Further analysis is required to prospectively study the role of sFLC in monitoring response to therapy and as a prognostic marker in WM patients...
- Oncogenesis of multiple myeloma: 14q32 and 13q chromosomal abnormalities are not randomly distributed, but correlate with natural history, immunological features, and clinical presentationHerve Avet-Loiseau
Laboratory and Clinical Department of Hematology, University Hospital, 9 quai Moncousu, 44093 Nantes, France
Blood 99:2185-91. 2002..The strong correlations we found might be the basis for a novel genetic classification of MM, as has been previously demonstrated for leukemias and lymphomas. Furthermore, our study supports different models for MM oncogenesis...
- Stem-cell transplantation in multiple myelomaJean Luc Harousseau
Department of Hematology, Hotel Dieu, Nantes, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 18:603-18. 2005..The results of allogeneic SCT remain disappointing due to a high transplant mortality. Strategies combining ASCT and reduced-intensity allogeneic SCT are currently being studied...
- Imatinib in combination with cytarabine for the treatment of Philadelphia-positive chronic myelogenous leukemia chronic-phase patients: rationale and design of phase I/II trialsFrancois Guilhot
Department of Oncology Hematology and Cell Therapy, CHU La Miletrie, Poitiers, France
Semin Hematol 40:92-7. 2003..Preliminary results are encouraging. However, a long follow-up is required before concluding that these strategies will overcome cell resistance...
- Proteasome inhibition and its clinical prospects in the treatment of hematologic and solid malignanciesHeinz Ludwig
First Department of Medicine and Medical Oncology, Wilhelminenspital, Vienna, Austria
Cancer 104:1794-807. 2005..Further studies with bortezomib as monotherapy and in combination regimens in the treatment of solid and hematologic malignancies are warranted...
- Evaluation and prognostic value of serum osteoprotegerin in multiple myelomaStephane Depil
Br J Haematol 129:706-7. 2005
- Factors predicting molecular and cytogenetic response in chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with imatinibCatherine Roche-Lestienne
Haematologica 90:131-3. 2005..05)...
- Abnormal cytogenetics and significant bone marrow plasmacytosis are predictive of early progression and short survival in patients with low tumor mass asymptomatic multiple myelomaStephane Depil
Service des Maladies du Sang Hôpital Claude Huriez, CHU rue Michel Polonovski 59037 Lille, France
Leuk Lymphoma 45:2481-4. 2004..An abnormal karyotype and a bone marrow (BM) plasmacytosis > 15% were found to be adverse prognostic factors for progression in univariate and multivariate analysis...
- Evaluation of gemcitabine in relapsed or refractory multiple myelomaXavier Leleu
Haematologica 89:ELT15. 2004
- A phase II multicenter study of troxacitabine in relapsed or refractory lymphoproliferative neoplasms or multiple myelomaJulie M Vose
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 7680, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 48:39-45. 2007..Future studies will be needed to address modified dosing according to emerging pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data and combination therapy which may lead to improved clinical benefit for troxacitabine in hematologic malignancies...
- Prognostic value of urinary pyridinium crosslinks and their derivatives in multiple myelomaKhalil Kargar Samani
Centre Hospitalier Mouscron, Mouscron, Belgium
Ann Hematol 84:19-24. 2005..Indeed, urinary markers of bone resorption can easily be measured at diagnosis and have independent prognostic significance to refine the prognosis of MM patients...
- HLA-G and lymphoproliferative disordersLaurence Amiot
Laboratoire Universitaire d Hématologie et de la Biologie des Cellules Sanguines, UPRES EA 22 33, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Semin Cancer Biol 13:379-85. 2003..HLA-G rather through its soluble isoform might provide a new way of immune evasion for lymphoid proliferations...
- Results of a prospective phase 2 study combining imatinib mesylate and cytarabine for the treatment of Philadelphia-positive patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia in chronic phaseMartine Gardembas
Department of Oncology Hematology and Cell Therapy, CHU La Miletrie, rue de la Miletrie, 86021 Poitiers Cedex, France
Blood 102:4298-305. 2003..We concluded that the combination was safe and promising given the rates of response...
- Analysis of herpes zoster events among bortezomib-treated patients in the phase III APEX studyAsher Chanan-Khan
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4784-90. 2008..The aim of this subset analysis was to determine if bortezomib treatment is associated with increased incidence of varicella-zoster virus (VZV) reactivation in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma (MM)...