- Detection of Bartonella quintana by direct immunofluorescence examination of blood smears of a patient with acute trench feverC Foucault
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:4904-6. 2004..B. quintana has been retrieved in erythrocytes in large clusters and in erythroblasts. Direct immunofluorescence of blood smears allows a rapid diagnosis...
- Guidelines for the diagnosis of tick-borne bacterial diseases in EuropeP Brouqui
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:1108-32. 2004..These guidelines aim to help clinicians and microbiologists in diagnosing infection transmitted by tick bites and to provide the scientific and medical community with a better understanding of these infectious diseases...
- Detection and identification of spotted fever group Rickettsiae and Ehrlichiae in African ticksP Parola
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, Marseille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 7:1014-7. 2001..mongolotimonae" was identified for the first time in Africa. Rickettsiae of unknown pathogenicity and two new ehrlichiae of the Ehrlichia canis group were identified in ticks from Mali and Niger...
- Hajj pilgrims knowledge about Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, August to September 2013P Gautret
Aix Marseille Universite, Unité de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes URMITE, Marseille, France
Euro Surveill 18:20604. 2013..None of 179 at-risk individuals(49.9%) decided to cancel their Hajj participation even after advice during consultation...
- Rickettsia aeschlimannii in Hyalomma ticks from CorsicaK Matsumoto
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, WHO Collaborative Center for Rickettsial Reference and Research, CNRS UMR 6020 IFR 48, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, Marseille Cedex 5, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:732-4. 2004
- First evidence of Anaplasma platys in Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Acari: Ixodida) collected from dogs in AfricaY O Sanogo
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:205-12. 2003..This is the first reported detection of A. platys in ticks in Africa. This finding raises the question of the possible involvement of R. sanguineus in A. platys infection of dogs...
- Epidemiologic features and clinical presentation of acute Q fever in hospitalized patients: 323 French casesH Tissot Dupont
, , Marseille, France
Am J Med 93:427-34. 1992..CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that many cases of acute Q fever are undiagnosed. A greater awareness of the disease and more extensive serologic testing of patients with symptoms compatible with Q fever may improve the situation...
- Molecular detection of Bartonella quintana DNA in the dental pulp of a homeless patientG Aboudharam
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020 IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385, Marseille Cedex 5, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:920-2. 2004..Using PCR with two specific gene targets, Bartonella quintana DNA was detected in the dental pulp extracted from the tooth of a homeless patient. The patient had been bacteremic 6 months previously but was not when the tooth was sampled...
- Detection of Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Ehrlichia sp. HF strains in Ixodes ricinus ticks in Brittany, FranceK Matsumoto
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020 IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:338-41. 2007..HF. In addition to A. phagocytophilum, the study detected Ehrlichia sp. HF for the first time in Ixodes ricinus ticks. This organism has only been detected previously in Ixodes ovatus ticks from Japan...
- Prevalence of Rickettsia spp. in Dermacentor marginatus ticks removed from game pigs (Sus scrofa) in southern FranceY O Sanogo
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Marseilles, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:191-5. 2003..Moreover, a new Rickettsia genotype was detected in one specimen (1.4%). The pathogenic role of this new rickettsia has yet to be demonstrated...
- Concomitant or consecutive infection with Coxiella burnetii and tickborne diseasesJ M Rolain
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 40:82-8. 2005..In this study, we describe 6 patients with Q fever who were infected with 1 of the following tickborne pathogens: Rickettsia conorii (2 patients), Rickettsia slovaca (2), Rickettsia africae (1), and Francisella tularensis (1)...
- First case of osteomyelitis due to Shewanella algaeE Botelho-Nevers
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
J Clin Microbiol 43:5388-90. 2005..This bacterium, at first misidentified by phenotypic tests as Shewanella putrefaciens, was subsequently identified correctly as S. algae by 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis...
- Factors contributing to emergence of Ehrlichia and Anaplasma spp. as human pathogensB Doudier
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
Vet Parasitol 167:149-54. 2010..In this review, we will present human and animal ehrlichioses and anaplasmoses as emerging diseases and present candidate(s) for the future...
- Randomized open trial of gentamicin and doxycycline for eradication of Bartonella quintana from blood in patients with chronic bacteremiaC Foucault
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2204-7. 2003..003). This study demonstrates the efficiency of the combination of doxycycline and gentamicin in eradicating B. quintana bacteremia...
- Lack of nasal carriage of novel corona virus (HCoV-EMC) in French Hajj pilgrims returning from the Hajj 2012, despite a high rate of respiratory symptomsP Gautret
IHU Méditerranée Infection, APHM Public Hospitals of Marseille, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:E315-7. 2013....
- Transmission of Rickettsia massiliae in the tick, Rhipicephalus turanicusK Matsumoto
Unite des Rickettsies, WHO Collaborative Center for Ricksettial Reference and Research, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Med Vet Entomol 19:263-70. 2005..Infection was subsequently detected in nine out of the thirteen females (69.2%). These results suggest that Rh. turanicus ticks are potential vectors and reservoirs for R. massiliae Bar29...
- Incidence of Hajj-associated febrile cough episodes among French pilgrims: a prospective cohort study on the influence of statin use and risk factorsP Gautret
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, AP HM, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:335-40. 2009....
- Treatment of Q fever endocarditis: comparison of 2 regimens containing doxycycline and ofloxacin or hydroxychloroquineD Raoult
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Université de la Mediterranée CNRS, Marseille, France
Arch Intern Med 159:167-73. 1999..Q fever endocarditis, caused by Coxiella burnetii, is fatal in 25% to 60% of patients. Currently, treatment with a long-term tetracycline and quinolone regimen for at least 4 years is recommended, although relapses are frequent...
- Human louse-transmitted infectious diseasesS Badiaga
URMITE, CNRS IRD, UMR 6236 198, Pôle des Maladies Infectieuses AP HM, Institut Hospitalo Universitaire Méditerranée Infection Service d Accueil des Urgences Adultes, Pôle AUR, CHU Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:332-7. 2012..Therefore, a strict survey of louse-borne diseases and the implementation of efficient delousing strategies in these populations should be public health priorities...
- Infections in the homelessD Raoult
Unite des Rickettsies, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, and Hĵpital Nord Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Marseille, France
Lancet Infect Dis 1:77-84. 2001..Patients with serious and contagious illnesses should be hospitalised. Physicians should be aware of these specific issues to enhance care...
- Trichinella pseudospiralis outbreak in FranceS Ranque
, Marseille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 6:543-7. 2000..Nonencapsulated larvae of Trichinella pseudospiralis were detected in meat and muscle biopsy specimens. The diagnoses were confirmed by molecular typing. Surveillance for the emerging T. pseudospiralis should be expanded...
- Diagnosis of granulocytic ehrlichiosis in humans by immunofluorescence assayP Brouqui
Unite des Rickettsies, WHO Collaborative Center for Rickettsial Reference and Research, CNRS UPRES A 6020, Faculte de Medecine, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5 France
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:199-202. 2001..Immunofluorescence assay (IFA) with this antigen is as efficient as with the MRL kit and allows a one-step IFA with other cell-free antigens that is useful when testing sera from patients bitten by ticks...
- Candidatus Ehrlichia walkerii: a new Ehrlichia detected in Ixodes ricinus tick collected from asymptomatic humans in Northern ItalyP Brouqui
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5 France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:134-40. 2003..Comparison of the 16S rRNA and the gltA gene sequences showed the organism is most closely related to Ehrlichia ruminantium. We propose this new Ehrlichia be named "candidatus Ehrlichia walkerii."..
- Chlamydia pneumoniae, but not Bartonella quintana, is associated with coronary heart disease: results of a French case-control studyS Badiaga
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales and Service de Cardiologie, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:315-8. 2003..quintana seropositivity and CHD. Antibodies to both C. pneumoniae and B. quintana were found in nine subjects (seven cases and two controls), suggesting co-infection rather than cross-reactivity...
- Risk perceptions of MSF healthcare workers on the recent Ebola epidemic in West AfricaS Sridhar
Aix Marseille University, Emerging Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit URMITE, Faculty of Medicine, Marseille, France Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille, Institut Hospitalo Universitaire Méditerranée Infection, Marseille, France
New Microbes New Infect 12:61-8. 2016..Our findings suggest that the use of individualized risk feedback during training in appraising erroneous perceptions will increase adherence to preventive measures. ..
- Dramatic reduction in Clostridium difficile ribotype 027-associated mortality with early fecal transplantation by the nasogastric route: a preliminary reportJ C Lagier
Aix Marseille Universite, URMITE, UM63, CNRS 7278, IRD 198, INSERM 1095, 13005, Marseille, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 34:1597-601. 2015..006). Six of the 16 patients (37.5 %) needed a second transplantation before symptom resolution. Early fecal microbiota transplantation in combination with antibiotics should be the first-line treatment for CD027 infections. ..
- Recommendations for treatment of human infections caused by Bartonella speciesJ M Rolain
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1921-33. 2004
- The viral etiology of an influenza-like illness during the 2009 pandemicS D Thiberville
UMR 190 Aix Marseille Univ IRD EHESP, Emergence des Pathologies Virales, Marseille, France
J Med Virol 84:1071-9. 2012..However, in multivariate anlaysis, cough, chills, hyperemia, and dyspnea were associated significantly with influenza virus versus other respiratory viruses...
- [A classical form of actinomycoses involving the mouth, face bones, orbit and base of the cranium in an African patient]S Badiaga
Service des Maladies Tropicales et Infectieuses, , Marseille, France
Med Trop (Mars) 61:169-72. 2001..Surgical reconstruction could not be carried out before the patient's return to Senegal. The pitfalls of diagnosis and treatment of actinomycosis are discussed...
- Endocarditis due to rare and fastidious bacteriaP Brouqui
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UPRESA 6020, Faculte de Medecine, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:177-207. 2001..Pathologic examination of the valve using special staining, such as Warthin-Starry, Gimenez, and PAS, and broad-spectrum PCR should be performed systematically when no etiologic diagnosis is evident through routine laboratory evaluation...
- [Lice in Mali: frequency of infestation, genotyping, infection rate and case management]A K Sangare
60, rue Sainte Baume, 13010 Marseille, France, Malaria Research and Training Center, Département d épidémiologie des affections parasitaires, faculté de médecine et d odonto stomatologie, faculté de pharmacie MRTC DEAP FMOS FAPH Université des sciences, des techniques et des technologies de Bamako USTTB, Bamako, Mali, Unité de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes URMITE, Universite Aix Marseille, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13005, France
Med Sante Trop 25:189-93. 2015..This article aims to describe the frequency of lice infestation, their genotypes, and their infection by pathogens in the regions of Koulikoro and Mopti...
- A comprehensive review of the Kumbh Mela: identifying risks for spread of infectious diseasesS Sridhar
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, CHU Nord, Pôle Infectieux, Institut Hospitalo Universitaire Méditerranée Infection, Marseille, France Aix Marseille Université, Unité de Recherche en Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes URMITE, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 21:128-33. 2015..We provide a brief background to the Kumbh Mela with a description of the existing and potential risk factors that require our attention. ..
- MediHandTrace ®: a tool for measuring and understanding hand hygiene adherenceS Boudjema
Aix Marseille University, URMITE, UM63, CNRS 7278, IRD 198, INSERM 1095, 13005, Marseille, France Infectious Disease Unit CHU Nord, Institut Hospitalo Universitaire Méditerranée Infection, 13005, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:22-8. 2014..02%), sensitive (95.65%) and specific (100%). The system can also provide information that is useful to understand HCW non-compliance and will allow the evaluation of future intervention studies...
- Erythroblast cells as a target for Bartonella quintana in homeless peopleJ M Rolain
Unité des Rickettsies CNRS UMR A 6020, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:485-7. 2003
- Insecticide resistance in mosquitoes and failure of malaria controlP Brouqui
URMITE, Aix Marseille Universite, CNRS 7278, IRD 198, INSERM 1095, IHU Méditerranée Infection, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille 13005, France
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 10:1379-81. 2012..falciparum and the behavioral changes of mosquitoes are many new features that indicate that malaria control is not yet achieved...
- Schistosomiasis as an unusual cause of appendicitisB Doudier
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Center Hospitalo Universitaire Nord, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:89-91. 2004..Treatment requires anti-schistomal medication in addition to surgery. Physicians, including surgeons, need to be aware of the possibility of seeing atypical presentations of parasitic diseases in immigrant patients...
- Facing highly infectious diseases: new trends and current conceptsP Brouqui
BSL3 infectious diseases isolation unit, URMITE UMR 6236 CNRS IRD, Infectious Disease and Tropical Medicine Service, AP HM, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:700-5. 2009..Here, the current knowledge concerning the clinical care of patients with HIDs is reviewed, and specific aspects of the management of such diseases are introduced...
- Genetic diversity of bacterial agents detected in ticks removed from asymptomatic patients in northeastern ItalyY O Sanogo
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Marseilles, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:182-90. 2003..Anaplasma phagocytophilum, the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis, was identified in 1 specimen of I. ricinus. A new Ehrlichia sp. ("Candidatus Ehrlichia walkerii", sp. nov.) was identified in 10 I. ricinus specimens...
- Treatment of imported malaria in adults: a multicentre study in FranceS Ranque
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Marseille, France
QJM 98:737-43. 2005..In 1999, a French consensus development conference published guidelines for the prevention and treatment of imported P. falciparum malaria. The impact of these guidelines has not been evaluated...
- [Central nervous tuberculosis in patients non-VIH: seven case reports]K Mazodier
Service de Medecine Interne, CHU de la Conception, 147, boulevard Baille, 13385 cedex 05, Marseille, France
Rev Med Interne 24:78-85. 2003..Tuberculosis involving the central nervous system (CNS) is rarely observed in non immuno-compromised hosts. We report herin the various clinical, biological and radiological manifestations observed in 7 patients with CNS tuberculosis...
- Bartonella quintana Bacteremia among Homeless PeopleC Foucault
Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 6020, Unite des Rickettsies, 13006 Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 35:684-9. 2002..Data obtained regarding antibiotic regimens showed that treatment with gentamicin and doxycycline was effective in preventing relapses of bacteremia...
- Serological evidence of Rickettsia infections in forestry rangers in north-eastern ItalyM Cinco
Laboratorio Spirochete, Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, Universita di Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:493-5. 2006..8%) sera, four of which were also positive for B. burgdorferi. These findings indicate that patients in this north-eastern Italian region with fever subsequent to tick-bite should be investigated for Rickettsia and Coxiella infections...
- Survey of tick infestation and tick-borne ehrlichial infection of dogs in Ishigaki Island, JapanH Inokuma
Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yoshida, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 63:1225-7. 2001..This dog had platelet numbers slightly lower than normal value, however, no morulae were found within platelet on peripheral blood smear stained with Giemsa...
- Detection and culture of Bartonella quintana, Serratia marcescens, and Acinetobacter spp. from decontaminated human body liceB La Scola
, CNRS UPRESA 6020, , 27 Blvd. Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
J Clin Microbiol 39:1707-9. 2001..The sensitivities of PCR and culture of B. quintana were 98 and 36%, respectively. These procedures may be useful for epidemiologic studies of trench fever and for the recovery of strains for characterization and comparison...
- [Imported malaria at the Marseilles Hôpital-Nord, France: a prospective study on 352 cases between 2001 and 2003]P Parola
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, AP HM, 13915 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Med Mal Infect 35:482-8. 2005..The authors had for aim to study epidemiological, clinical, and parasitological characteristics, as well as regimen received, of imported malaria cases hospitalised at the North University Hospital, in Marseilles, France...
- Human anaplasmosis presenting as atypical pneumonitis in FranceV Remy
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Pathologies Tropicales, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Clin Infect Dis 37:846-8. 2003..A. phagocytophilum should be added to the list of agents responsible for interstitial pneumonitis, especially in areas where human anaplasmosis is endemic...
- [Management of a highly contagious patient in a Marseille Teaching Hospital]V Girard
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, Chemin des Bourrely, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Med Mal Infect 38:S126-7. 2008
- Detection of ehrlichial infection by PCR in dogs from Yamaguchi and Okinawa Prefectures, JapanH Inokuma
Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yoshida, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 63:815-7. 2001..2 and 45.0%, respectively) than Ishigaki Island (11.1%). Another dog in Yamaguchi Prefecture had a positive PCR reaction to the Ehrlichia sp. detected from I. ovatus. No other Ehrlichia were found in these samples...
- Pseudo-tumor of the lung, a rare clinical presentation of dirofilariasisM Hemmersbach-Miller
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital de Gran Canaria Dr Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran, Canaria, Spain
Presse Med 34:109-10. 2005..Known as a zoonotic disease it can affect humans as a secondary host. A pseudo-tumor of the lung called "coin" lesion is usually detected while performing a chest X-ray for another reason...
- Citrate synthase gene sequence: a new tool for phylogenetic analysis and identification of EhrlichiaH Inokuma
Laboratory of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, 753 8515 Yamaguchi, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 39:3031-9. 2001..Similarly, Neorickettsia genogroup Ehrlichia species were specifically identified by RFLP patterns of RcaI digestion. If confirmed this technique will be useful in rapidly identifying Ehrlichia spp...
- Ehrlichia equi (Anaplasma phagocytophila) infection in an adult horse in FranceF Bermann
Laboratoire de Biologie Equine, La Chapelle en Serval, France
Vet Rec 150:787-8. 2002
- Analysis of the 16S rRNA gene sequence of Anaplasma centrale and its phylogenetic relatedness to other ehrlichiaeH Inokuma
Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753-8515, Japan
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:241-4. 2001..The PCR can detect A. centrale DNA extracted from 10 infected bovine red blood cells in a reaction mixture. A. centrale DNA was amplified in the reaction, but not other related ehrlichial species...