- Pre-cessation depressive mood predicts failure to quit smoking: the role of coping and personality traitsIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6 and INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Addiction 101:1814-21. 2006..To examine whether mood, personality and coping predict smoking cessation and whether the associations of personality and coping are mediated through depressed mood...
- Correlates of expired air carbon monoxide: effect of ethnicity and relationship with saliva cotinine and nicotineI Berlin
Clinical Pharmacology and Treatment Research Branch, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 3:325-31. 2001..To assess the accuracy of expired air carbon monoxide (CO) measurement vs. saliva cotinine and nicotine and to estimate the degree of misclassifications of smoking status as a function of ethnicity...
- The Modified Reasons for Smoking Scale: factorial structure, gender effects and relationship with nicotine dependence and smoking cessation in French smokersIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Addiction 98:1575-83. 2003....
- The Salpêtrière Hospital: from confining the poor to freeing the insaneIvan Berlin
Département de Pharmascologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 47 Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Am J Psychiatry 160:1579. 2003
- Relationship between body-mass index and depressive symptoms in patients with major depressionIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, 47, Bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Eur Psychiatry 18:85-8. 2003..Appetite and weight changes are commonly occurring symptoms of depressive illness. The occurrence of these symptoms may not only be related to depressive mood but may also be related to body weight...
- Reliability and validity of the French version of the tobacco craving questionnaireIvan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, 47, Bd de l Hopital, FR 75013 Paris, France
Eur Addict Res 11:62-8. 2005..2) To compare the two different language versions of the same instrument in 2 independent samples from 2 cultures in 2 distinct time periods...
- Lazabemide, a selective, reversible monoamine oxidase B inhibitor, as an aid to smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Addiction 97:1347-54. 2002..This is probably due to some components of tobacco smoke. When smokers quit, MAOB activity returns to normal. Reduced MAO activity may increase nicotine's addictive potential...
- Identification of factors associated with impaired hypoglycaemia awareness in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitusI Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, 47 81, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 31:246-51. 2005..To assess clinical factors associated with impaired hypoglycaemia awareness (HA)...
- Lack of effect of D2 dopamine receptor TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 7:725-8. 2005..The present study reports on results of a similar smoking cessation study and uses the same methods and data analysis in a larger number of smokers. It fails to replicate the effect of DRD2 TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessation...
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of single nasal (5 mg and 10 mg) and oral (50 mg) doses of ephedrine in healthy subjectsI Berlin
Department of Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire, Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 57:447-55. 2001..To determine the cardiovascular, subjective effects and potential of abuse liability of single dose (-) ephedrine (E) administered orally (50 mg) or intranasally (10 mg and 5 mg)...
- Platelet monoamine oxidase B activity is inversely associated with plasma cotinine concentrationI Berlin
Department of Pharmacology, University Hospital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 2:243-6. 2000..Further studies are needed to investigate whether measurement of platelet MAO-B activity can be used as a long-term index of tobacco use and smoke exposure...
- Effect of glucose on tobacco craving. Is it mediated by tryptophan and serotonin?Ivan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, 47 83, Bd de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 178:27-34. 2005..Therefore, the aim was to assess the effect of high doses of oral glucose on tobacco craving, withdrawal symptoms, plasma TRP and blood serotonin concentrations in temporarily abstinent smokers...
- Monoamine oxidases and tobacco smokingI Berlin
Department of Pharmacology, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, Paris, France
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 4:33-42. 2001..As a practical consequence of tobacco smoke's MAO-inhibitory properties, comparative psychiatric research studies need to screen and control for tobacco use...
- Beraprost sodium-fluindione combination in healthy subjects: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic aspectsD Warot
Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, Clinical Pharmacology Department, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 47, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75751 Paris 13, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 14:231-6. 2000..In conclusion, a 3 day regimen of BPS 40 microg t.i.d. by oral route does not seem to affect pharmacokinetic parameters of a fluindione 20 mg single dose...
- [Nicotine replacement therapies during pregnancy: what do we know about the balance between benefits and risks?]C Heilbronner
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 34:679-86. 2005..It is suggested that benefit and risks of nicotine replacement therapies during pregnancy should be evaluated...
- Efficacy of bupropion and predictors of successful outcome in a sample of French smokers: a randomized placebo-controlled trialH J Aubin
Centre Hospitalier Emile Roux, Limeil Brevannes, France
Addiction 99:1206-18. 2004..Previous published studies assessed the efficacy of bupropion in smoking cessation only in North American populations of smokers. Results of therapeutic drug trials are not always directly applicable in other populations...
- Low serum cholesterol in violent but not in non-violent suicide attemptersJ C Alvarez
Faculté de Médecine Paris Ouest et Laboratoire de Biochimie, Hôpital R Poincaré, AP HP, 104 Bvd R Poincaré, 92380 Garches, France
Psychiatry Res 95:103-8. 2000..Further investigations are necessary to determine the usefulness of this easily accessible parameter as a potential risk indicator for violent acts such as violent suicidal behavior in susceptible individuals...
- [Current therapeutic strategies in smoking cessation]Anne Borgne
Unité de Coordination de Tabacologie, Hopital Jean Verdier, 93144 Bondy Cedex
Rev Prat 54:1883-93. 2004..Before reaching the decision to quit, the smoker goes through a process in the course of which the role of health professionals' advice is paramount...
- Sex-based and hormonal contraception effects on the metabolism of nicotine among adolescent tobacco-dependent smokersIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6 and INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 9:493-8. 2007..Prospective controlled studies are needed to further evaluate the role of hormonal contraception in patterns of adolescent smoking and nicotine metabolism...
- Should major depression with 'high normal' thyroid-stimulating hormone be treated preferentially with tricyclics?Emmanuelle Corruble
Psychiatry Department, Bicetre Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, PSIGIM, Paris XI University, Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neuropsychobiology 50:144-6. 2004..Such patients have a more severe form of depression and a slower or impaired response to antidepressant therapy. It is also possible that they would benefit preferentially from TCA rather than other antidepressants...
- Impulsivity in smoking, nonsmoking, and ex-smoking alcoholicsMarilyn D Skinner
Centre de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Emile Roux, 1 Avenue de Verdun, 94456 Limeil Brévannes, France
Addict Behav 29:973-8. 2004..In addition, stopping smoking may diminish impulsivity levels in alcoholics. Routine testing of impulsivity in current alcoholic smokers might predict who might successfully become an ex-smoker...
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic study of apomorphine's effect on growth hormone secretion in healthy subjectsGuy Aymard
Service de Pharmacologie, Laboratoire de Pharmacocinetique, Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire Pitié Salpétrière Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, 47 83 Bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:473-81. 2003..67 (65.2) ng/mL, respectively at dose 5, 10, and 20 micro g/kg (P < 10-4). APO and GH concentrations were predicted with good accuracy using bi-compartmental with zero-order absorption PK model and sigmoid Emax PD model, respectively...
- Sensory and physiologic effects of menthol and non-menthol cigarettes with differing nicotine deliveryWallace B Pickworth
Clinical Pharmacology Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, Addiction Research Center, National Institutes of Health, PO Box 5180, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 71:55-61. 2002..These results illustrate the importance of threshold levels of nicotine on subjective responses to cigarette smoking...
- Amisulpride does not prevent relapse in primary alcohol dependence: results of a pilot randomized, placebo-controlled trialDonata Marra
Department of Pharmacology and Psychiatry, Hospital Pritié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1545-52. 2002..The mesolimbic dopamine system is known to play an important role in alcohol dependence. Amisulpride, a substituted benzamide, seems to facilitate dopaminergic neurotransmission at low doses...
- African-American teen smokers: issues to consider for cessation treatmentE T Moolchan
National Institute of Health, National Institute on Drug Abuse Intramural Research Program, Teen Tobacco Addiction Treatment Research Clinic, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 92:558-62. 2000..These observations also highlight the importance of ethnocultural issues in treatment research programs...
- Smoking-induced metabolic disorders: a reviewIvan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Faculte de Medicine, Universite Paris 6, INSERM U677, 47, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 34:307-14. 2008....
- Benefits from mianserin augmentation of fluoxetine in patients with major depression non-responders to fluoxetine aloneM Ferreri
Department of Psychiatry, H pital Saint-Antoine, Paris, France
Acta Psychiatr Scand 103:66-72. 2001..Mianserin augmentation of fluoxetine was well tolerated. CONCLUSION: Mianserin augmentation of fluoxetine in patients non-responders to fluoxetine 20 mg/day increases response to treatment and is well tolerated...
- Consistency of subjective responses to imagery-induced tobacco craving over multiple sessionsDustin C Lee
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, NIH, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Addict Behav 32:2130-9. 2007..These results have practical implications for examining individual differences in sensitivity to smoking cues and for studies involving repeated measurement of elicited craving over time...
- Validity of the 12-item French version of the Tobacco Craving Questionnaire in treatment-seeking smokersIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Faculte de Medicine, Université P and M Curie INSERM U894, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 12:500-7. 2010..For use in research and clinical settings, we constructed a 12-item version of the FTCQ (FTCQ-12)...
- Tobacco smoking trajectory and associated ethnic differences among adolescent smokers seeking cessation treatmentMiqun L Robinson
Teen Tobacco Addiction Treatment Research Clinic, National Institute on Drug Abuse Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:217-24. 2004....
- Increased risk of relapse after stopping nicotine replacement therapies: a mathematical modelling approachJacques Medioni
Centre d Investigations Cliniques, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Addiction 100:247-54. 2005..To describe the effect of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) on the risk of relapse as a function of time since the quit date...
- Characteristics of African American teenage smokers who request cessation treatment: implications for addressing health disparitiesEric T Moolchan
Intramural Research Program, Teen Tobacco Addiction Treatment Research Clinic, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse NIH, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:533-8. 2003..Ethnoracial disparities in both tobacco-related mortality and treatment outcome for smoking cessation have been reported among adults, but there is a dearth of information on ethnoracial differences among adolescent smokers...
- Psychological stress and cortisol secretion in anhedonic alcoholic menD Marra
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 47, Bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris 13, France
Eur Psychiatry 18:415-7. 2003..Anhedonic alcoholics judged the experimental situation less agreeable than controls. Anhedonic alcoholics may have blunted cortisol response to psychological stress...
- Newborns' cord blood plasma cotinine concentrations are similar to that of their delivering smoking mothersIvan Berlin
Faculté de médicine Université P and M Curie Assistance publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière INSERM U894, Paris, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 107:250-2. 2010..Umbilical cord plasma cotinine levels have been shown to correlate with self-reported daily number of cigarettes at the end of pregnancy, but the exact relationship between maternal and newborn plasma cotinine (and nicotine) is unknown...
- Hedonic response to sucrose solutions and the fear of weight gain in patients with eating disordersRénate Eiber
Clinique des maladies mentales et de l Encéphale, Hopital Sainte Anne, Universite Rene Descartes, Faculté de Médecine Cochin Port Royal, Paris, France
Psychiatry Res 113:173-80. 2002..We conclude that the hedonic responses to sucrose in patients with eating disorders are decreased when solutions are swallowed. This may reflect excessive fear of gaining weight rather than decreased ability to experience pleasure'...
- Nicotine dependence and urge to smoke predict negative health symptoms in smokersIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière Faculté de médecine, Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6 INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Prev Med 47:447-51. 2008..To assess the predictive value of nicotine dependence or urge to smoke for negative health symptoms one year later...
- Reduced monoamine oxidase A activity in pregnant smokers and in their newbornsIvan Berlin
Faculte de Medicine, Universite Paris 6, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, INSERM U894, Paris, France
Biol Psychiatry 66:728-33. 2009..We aimed to compare, in everyday clinical conditions, biomarkers of MAOA activity in smoking (SPW) and lifetime nonsmoking pregnant women (NSPW) and in cord blood and to assess the newborns' behavior during the first 48 hours of life...
- Endocrine and metabolic effects of smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Universite Paris 6, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Inserm U 894, Service de Pharmacologie, Paris, France
Curr Med Res Opin 25:527-34. 2009..Less is known about hormonal and metabolic effects that patients may experience while quitting smoking...
- The French law on "protection of persons undergoing biomedical research": implications for the U.SIvan Berlin
Pierre and Marie Curie University Pitié Salpêtrièe Medical School, Paris, France
J Law Med Ethics 31:434-41. 2003
- Regulation of smokeless tobacco productsIvan Berlin
Lancet 371:1504. 2008
- Psychotic symptoms following buprenorphine withdrawalLaurent Karila
Am J Psychiatry 165:400-1. 2008
- Expired air carbon monoxide concentration in mothers and their spouses above 5 ppm is associated with decreased fetal growthConchita Gomez
centre hospitalier d Arras, Maternité Georges Pernin, Arras, France
Prev Med 40:10-5. 2005..The relationship between maternal and spouses' expired air carbon monoxide (CO) concentrations (EACO) on fetal growth has not yet been evaluated...
- Thyroid hormones and antidepressant responseIvan Berlin
Am J Psychiatry 159:1441. 2002