- [Normal and disordered sleep]I Arnulf
Fédération des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, F 75651 Paris Cedex 13
Ann Pharm Fr 65:239-50. 2007..g. psychiatric insomnia, restless legs syndrome)...
- Sleep and wakefulness disturbances in Parkinson's diseaseI Arnulf
Fédération des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Neural Transm Suppl . 2006..The management of sleep and alertness problems requires to analyze their potential causes, to monitor night-time and daytime sleep, and to subtly adjust psychotropic and dopaminergic treatment...
- Will students pass a competitive exam that they failed in their dreams?Isabelle Arnulf
Sorbonne Universités, UPMC Univ Paris 06, Paris F 75005, France Sleep Disorder Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, APHP, Paris, France Centre de Recherche de l Institut du Cerveau et de la Moelle, UPMC Paris 6, INSERM UMR_S 975, CNRS UMR 7225, France Electronic address
Conscious Cogn 29:36-47. 2014..1, p=.01). These results suggest that the negative anticipation of a stressful event in dreams is common and that this episodic simulation provides a cognitive gain...
- Feeling unreal: a functional imaging study in patients with Kleine-Levin syndromeAurélie Kas
1 Nuclear Medicine Department, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, APHP, Paris, France2 Sorbonne University, UPMC Univ Paris 06, Laboratoire d Imagerie Fonctionnelle, INSERM UMR S 678, Paris, France
Brain 137:2077-87. 2014..Persistent hypoperfusion in the diencephalic and associative cortical area during asymptomatic periods is a marker of the disease, suggestive of a scenario wherein patients compensate for these deficient circuitries. ..
- Sleep-related declarative memory consolidation and verbal replay during sleep talking in patients with REM sleep behavior disorderGinevra Uguccioni
Sleep Disorder Unit, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France Centre de Recherche de l Institut Cerveau Moelle épinière, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 975, Pierre and Marie Curie University Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale Unités mixtes de recherches 975, Centre national de la recherche scientifique Unités mixtes de recherche 7225, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 8:e83352. 2013..To determine if sleep talkers with REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) would utter during REM sleep sentences learned before sleep, and to evaluate their verbal memory consolidation during sleep...
- REM sleep behavior disorder: motor manifestations and pathophysiologyIsabelle Arnulf
Sleep Disorders Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Inserm U975, CRicm, Paris, France
Mov Disord 27:677-89. 2012..They constitute a highly specific target for testing neuroprotective agents...
- The 'scanning hypothesis' of rapid eye movements during REM sleep: a review of the evidenceI Arnulf
Unité des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Arch Ital Biol 149:367-82. 2011..These results are consistent with the model of a brainstem generator activating simultaneously images, sounds, limbs movements and REMs in a coordinated parallel manner, as in a virtual reality...
- Ring the bell for Matins: circadian adaptation to split sleep by cloistered monks and nunsIsabelle Arnulf
Sleep Disorders Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, aph, Paris, France
Chronobiol Int 28:930-41. 2011..It resembles the biphasic sleep and rhythm of healthy volunteers transferred to a short (10-h) photoperiod and provides a living glance into the sleep pattern of medieval time...
- Rapid eye movement sleep disturbances in Huntington diseaseIsabelle Arnulf
Pathologies du Sommeil, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, and U106, University Pierre and Marie Curie, Paris Cedex 13, France
Arch Neurol 65:482-8. 2008..Sleep disorders including insomnia, movements during sleep, and daytime sleepiness are common but poorly studied in Huntington disease (HD)...
- Kleine-Levin syndrome: a systematic study of 108 patientsIsabelle Arnulf
Stanford Center for Narcolepsy and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Ann Neurol 63:482-93. 2008..Kleine-Levin syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by relapsing-remitting episodes of hypersomnia, cognitive disturbances, and behavioral disturbances, such as hyperphagia and hypersexuality...
- Sleepiness in Parkinson's diseaseIsabelle Arnulf
Sleep Disorders Unit and Inserm UMR 975, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris 6 University, Paris, France
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S101-4. 2009..Eventually, the recent stimulation of the pedunculopontine nucleus has stimulant or sedative effects in patients, depending on the frequency of stimulation. These results provide new insights into the mechanisms of arousal in PD...
- Sleep induced by stimulation in the human pedunculopontine nucleus areaIsabelle Arnulf
Sleep Disorders Unit, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM UMR_975 Mixed Unity of Research, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris 6 University, Paris, France
Ann Neurol 67:546-9. 2010..In addition, the sudden withdrawal of the low-frequency stimulation was consistently followed by rapid eye movement sleep episodes in 1 patient. These data have the potential to benefit patients who suffer from sleep disorders...
- [REM sleep behavior disorder: an overt access to motor and cognitive control during sleep]I Arnulf
Unité des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Groupe Hospitalier de la Pitié Salpêtrière, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 166:785-92. 2010....
- Hallucinations in narcolepsy with and without cataplexy: contrasts with Parkinson's diseaseSmaranda Leu-Semenescu
Sleep Disorders Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, AP HP, Paris 6 University, Paris, France
Sleep Med 12:497-504. 2011..partial (PD, narcolepsy without cataplexy) hypocretin-1 deficiency...
- Evidence for the re-enactment of a recently learned behavior during sleepwalkingDelphine Oudiette
Sleep Disorders Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, APHP, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 6:e18056. 2011..Our observation also suggests that the study of such sleep disorders may provide unique and critical information about cognitive functions operating during sleep...
- CSF versus serum leptin in narcolepsy: is there an effect of hypocretin deficiency?Isabelle Arnulf
Center for Narcolepsy, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Sleep 29:1017-24. 2006..To determine if hypocretin deficiency is associated with abnormally low serum leptin levels, a putative cause of increased body mass index in narcoleptics...
- Effect of low and high frequency thalamic stimulation on sleep in patients with Parkinson's disease and essential tremorI Arnulf
centre d investigation clinique, Fédération de Neurologie and INSERM U 289, Paris, France
J Sleep Res 9:55-62. 2000..Our results also suggest that low frequency stimulation applied in the region of the reticular nuclei does not induce sleep...
- Improvement of sleep architecture in PD with subthalamic nucleus stimulationI Arnulf
centre d investigation clinique, Fédération de Neurologie and INSERM U289, Paris, France
Neurology 55:1732-4. 2000..Total sleep time increased by 47%; wakefulness after sleep onset decreased by 51 minutes. Insomnia in patients with PD may predominantly result from nighttime motor disability...
- Residual sleepiness in obstructive sleep apnoea: phenotype and related symptomsC Vernet
Sleep Disorders Unit, UMR 975, National Reference Centre for Narcolepsy and Hypersomnia, Paris, France
Eur Respir J 38:98-105. 2011..The association between RES, periodic leg movements, apathy and depressive mood parallels the post-hypoxic lesions in noradrenaline, dopamine and serotonin systems in animals exposed to intermittent hypoxia...
- Parkinson's disease and sleepiness: an integral part of PDI Arnulf
Fédération des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Neurology 58:1019-24. 2002..To investigate the potential causes of excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with PD-poor sleep quality, abnormal sleep-wakefulness control, and treatment with dopaminergic agents...
- Neurokinin B, neurotensin, and cannabinoid receptor antagonists and Parkinson diseaseV Mesnage
centre d investigation clinique, Fédération de Neurologie and Inserm, Paris, France
Clin Neuropharmacol 27:108-10. 2004..In this exploratory randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, at the dose used, the drugs tested were well tolerated and could not improve parkinsonian motor disability...
- Does clinical rapid eye movement behavior disorder predict worse outcomes in Parkinson's disease?S Lavault
Unité des pathologies du sommeil, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, Paris, France
J Neurol 257:1154-9. 2010..The fluctuation and disappearance of clinical RBD in some patients may be due to functional abnormalities rather than lesions...
- Unawareness of naps in Parkinson's disease and in disorders with excessive daytime sleepinessM Merino-Andreu
Fédération des Pathologies du Sommeil and Upres EA 2397, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Neurology 60:1553-4. 2003
- Chronic hiccups and sleepI Arnulf
Service de Pneumologie et Laboratoire du Sommeil, , Paris, France
Sleep 19:227-31. 1996..Hiccups themselves were not responsible for any arousals or awakenings. We conclude that neural mechanisms responsible for hiccups are strongly influenced by sleep state and that hiccups disrupt sleep onset but not established sleep...
- Severe restless legs syndrome presenting as intractable insomniaI Arnulf
Fédération des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Neurology 62:E19. 2004
- Sleep disorders and diaphragmatic function in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisI Arnulf
Service de Pneumologie, UPRES EA 2397, Explorations Fonctionnelles Respiratoires, Neurologie et Explorations Fonctionnelles du Systeme Nerveux, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:849-56. 2000..Median survival time was dramatically shorter (217 d) in Group 1 than in Group 2 (619 d, p = 0.015)...
- Parkinson's disease with camptocormiaF Bloch
Centre d Investigation Clinique Fédération des Maladies du Système Nerveux, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:1223-8. 2006..The origin of the disorder is unknown, but it is usually attributed either to a primary or a secondary paravertebral muscle myopathy or a motor neurone disorder. Camptocormia is also observed in a minority of patients with parkinsonism...
- Nonviolent elaborate behaviors may also occur in REM sleep behavior disorderD Oudiette
Sleep Disorders Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, APHP, Team 106, CRicm, and Paris 6 University, France
Neurology 72:551-7. 2009..To document unusual, nonviolent behaviors during REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) and evaluate their frequency in Parkinson disease (PD)...
- [Narcolepsy with cataplexy in the child: clinical evaluation and therapeutical management]M Lecendreux
centre pédiatrique des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 164:646-57. 2008....
- Vivid dreams, hallucinations, psychosis and REM sleep in Guillain-Barré syndromeV Cochen
Federation de Neurologie, Hopital Henri Mondor, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Brain 128:2535-45. 2005..Sleep studies suggest that mental status abnormalities are wakeful dreams caused by a sleep and dream-associated disorder (status dissociatus)...
- [Sleep disorders during synucleopathies and taupathies]I Arnulf
Fédération des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris
Rev Neurol (Paris) 159:6S77-82. 2003..Recent evidences suggest that they may result from non dopaminergic lesions, including cholinergic neurons in the locus subcoeruleus and orexinergic neurons in the lateral hypothalamus...
- [Psychic disorders and somnolence]J L Houeto
Federation de Neurologie, centre d investigation clinique, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 158:S102-7. 2002....
- [Restless-legs syndrome]E Karroum
UF pathologies du sommeil, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Pavillon Marguerite Bottard, Paris Cedex, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 164:701-21. 2008..In severe, refractory or neuropathy-associated RLS, antiepileptic (gabapentin, pregabalin) or opioid (oxycodone, tramadol) drugs can be used...
- Kleine-Levin syndrome: a systematic review of 186 cases in the literatureI Arnulf
Stanford University Center for Narcolepsy, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Brain 128:2763-76. 2005..In conclusion, KLS is a unique disease which may be more severe in female and secondary cases...
- Hyperoxia increases paradoxical sleep rhythm in the pontine catI Arnulf
UPRESS EA2397, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France
Brain Res 807:160-6. 1998..These findings show that PS is exquisitely sensitive to conditions that impair oxidative metabolism. The role of cholinergic executive PS systems as putative metabolic-sensitive neurons remains to be established...
- Clinical predictive factors of subthalamic stimulation in Parkinson's diseaseM L Welter
Centre d Investigation Clinique and INSERM U 289, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Brain 125:575-83. 2002....
- [Acute exacerbation of restless legs syndrome during perioperative procedures: case reports and suggested management]E G Karroum
Unité des pathologies du sommeil, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 29:920-4. 2010....
- Do the eyes scan dream images during rapid eye movement sleep? Evidence from the rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder modelLaurène Leclair-Visonneau
Sleep Disorder Unit, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 75013 Paris, France
Brain 133:1737-46. 2010..Since the rapid eye movements are similar in subjects with and without rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder, this concordance can be extended to normal rapid eye movement sleep...
- Disappearance of "phantom limb" and amputated arm usage during dreaming in REM sleep behaviour disorderR Vetrugno
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:481-3. 2008