Affiliation: University of Kuopio
- Binding of Neisseria meningitidis pili to berry polyphenolic fractionsMarko Toivanen
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 57:3120-7. 2009..Thus, the findings identify several previously unknown binding and inhibitory activities and may suggest Vaccinium berries and crowberry as promising sources against meningococcal adherence...
- Screening of binding activity of Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus agalactiae and Streptococcus suis to berries and juicesMarko Toivanen
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Phytother Res 24:S95-101. 2010..They indicate that fractions FII and FIII contained proanthocyanidins and/or other phenolic compounds. The results suggest Vaccinium berries as possible sources of antiadhesives against bacterial infections...
- Inhibition of adhesion of Neisseria meningitidis to human epithelial cells by berry juice polyphenolic fractionsMarko Toivanen
School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Phytother Res 25:828-32. 2011..The present results suggest berry juice polyphenols as inhibitors of adherence of N. meningitidis. Thus the binding of meningococci to berry juice polyphenols might be protective for the host against the infection...
- Antiaggregation potential of berry fractions against pairs of Streptococcus mutans with Fusobacterium nucleatum or Actinomyces naeslundiiKaisu Riihinen
Department of Biosciences, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Phytother Res 25:81-7. 2011....
- Inhibition activity of wild berry juice fractions against Streptococcus pneumoniae binding to human bronchial cellsSanna Huttunen
Institute of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Phytother Res 25:122-7. 2011..pneumoniae. The findings indicate that cranberry, bilberry and crowberry juices have potential against pneumococcal infections...
- Novel anti-infective potential of salvianolic acid B against human serious pathogen Neisseria meningitidisSanna Huttunen
School of Pharmacy, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio Campus, Kuopio, Finland
BMC Res Notes 9:25. 2016..In the present study against N. meningitidis adhesion, a novel binding inhibitor was found; salvianolic acid B (SA-B), a polyphenol from the radix Salviae miltiorrhizae, an important part of Chinese folk medicine...
- Human and bovine milk oligosaccharides inhibit Neisseria meningitidis pili attachment in vitroJenni Hakkarainen
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, FI 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Nutr 135:2445-8. 2005..The binding of neisserial pili to bovine thyroglobulin was most effective and was clearly inhibited by human milk neutral or bovine milk acidic oligosaccharides...